This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With my luck, I'd get into a PBM, then Bernie Sanders gets elected and introduces Medicare for all.

I send a few applications to some outpatient iv infusion places. I can't imagine someone having a better resume for it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am hearing CVS is making every effort to not give their PT pharmacists 30 hours a week so they don't qualify for benefits. No health benefits, 401 k, ESSP. Nothing. Something to consider
I believe any employee can get ESPP and 401k.

I believe any employee can get ESPP and 401k.

@zelman
I'm pretty sure that you have to have worked full time for 90 days to qualify and you might have to be classified as full time. In other words, say you're a casual float and you just happen you have worked that many hours over 90 days, you would not qualify for benefits. I think that's how it works but I'm not 100% sure of the latter.

Members don't see this ad :)
With my luck, I'd get into a PBM, then Bernie Sanders gets elected and introduces Medicare for all.

I send a few applications to some outpatient iv infusion places. I can't imagine someone having a better resume for it.

@WVUPharm2007
Jesus... For the love of the baby Hehsoos (Jesus ) .. APPLY!!!
Don't you want a 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday? Just saying...

@WVUPharm2007
Jesus... For the love of the baby Hehsoos (Jesus ) .. APPLY!!!
Don't you want a 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday? Just saying...

Not really. I want 7 on, 7 off. I get that this is the desire for 99% of people, but I honestly hate having weekends off. Everything is crowded. I love my 7 days off in a row. Tuesday afternoon at the movies is the bees knees. Just me and the wife in the theater. I don't see any PBM jobs in my area on Indeed, Monster, or LinkedIn, though. There's one for a Prior Auth pharmacist for Catamaran, but that sounds soul crushing and its like a month old and probably doesn't exist anymore. I'd be working for a company that is actually more evil than CVS and telling people they can't have medications. It's like being Hitler's dentist or something.

That said, its a job.

They say it requires a year of clinical pharmacy experience (check), but they prefer people coming from MTM or PBMs. How much knowledge is really needed for a position like this? Can a dude with 7 years of mixed hospital and retail experience do well at this?

Reactions: 1 user
Not really. I want 7 on, 7 off. I get that this is the desire for 99% of people, but I honestly hate having weekends off. Everything is crowded. I love my 7 days off in a row. Tuesday afternoon at the movies is the bees knees. Just me and the wife in the theater. I don't see any PBM jobs in my area on Indeed, Monster, or LinkedIn, though. There's one for a Prior Auth pharmacist for Catamaran, but that sounds soul crushing and its like a month old and probably doesn't exist anymore. I'd be working for a company that is actually more evil than CVS and telling people they can't have medications. It's like being Hitler's dentist or something.

That said, its a job.

They say it requires a year of clinical pharmacy experience (check), but they prefer people coming from MTM or PBMs. How much knowledge is really needed for a position like this? Can a dude with 7 years of mixed hospital and retail experience do well at this?

I am a new grad and I got the job. If I got it, I'm certain you can. However, I really wanted to make a career of it and I also have a masters that indirectly pertains to the job.
I can't tell you what to do but it seems like you're shutting down anything that is not retail. You have not even applied for the job and you have every reason to justify why you won't get it. If I want something, I go get it and usually I just get it. I won't stop until I get it.

We all yearn for different things. I will do anything before having to do retail again. It's not for me or rather, I'm not suited for it and most importantly, I do not want to be suited for it. But it sounds like you want 7 on 7 off. I don't have enough experience to advise you on that. If you recall, I started this thread asking for advice for my new overnight pharmacist jobs few weeks ago. Hated it. Felt like I worked within Auschwitz the entire time. Then requested to be moved to daytime. That did not really make that much of a difference. So I left. It's simple. I did not like it and I left.

I don't know your situation but I can't imagine that the only job available in your area is the one you just lost. That is statistically impossible for starters. There are jobs everywhere. All this being said, I am humbly saying I have no advice for you. If a new grad like me was able to line something up, well I certainly hope that you can too.

Best,

Apotheker2015

I am a new grad and I got the job. If I got it, I'm certain you can. However, I really wanted to make a career of it and I also have a masters that indirectly pertains to the job.
I can't tell you what to do but it seems like you're shutting down anything that is not retail.

Nah, I've already applied for two LTC and one IV infusion job. I'm actually very interested in IV infusion. And I have the resume for it.

It is national, my pharm sup said. FL here. I like that you are going to be OK, not the layoff, LOL

How come I haven't heard anything reported on news...1000 is a lot of layoffs, did read the disappointing quarterly results.

How come I haven't heard anything reported on news...1000 is a lot of layoffs, did read the disappointing quarterly results.

It only JUST happened (I am getting PMs from overnighters who haven't even been informed themselves yet!), and there may never be a news story, it's not as dramatic as store closing or the WAGS/RA thing. I am not even sure what the point of the questions is, do you think me and the others here are making it up? I wish!

How should I know why you haven't heard about it? LOL

It only JUST happened (I am getting PMs from overnighters who haven't even been informed themselves yet!), and there may never be a news story, it's not as dramatic as store closing or the WAGS/RA thing. I am not even sure what the point of the questions is, do you think me and the others here are making it up? I wish!

How should I know why you haven't heard about it? LOL

Lol I just heard about it in the thread and no I never thought you were making it up. To me, laying off a 1000 people sounds newsworthy; there's been articles for smaller numbers at companies w/less than expected quarters (although they might be smaller companies)

It's not dramatic as store closings but sounds pretty significant cost savings if it's nationwide. Laying off, cutting hours, is akin to closing stores in that the changes are similar. Should we expect that tech hours are cut even though there are less techs working at those times? Because then it's not just pharmacists either...

Just curious, I was wondering if others were thinking of buying CVS stock.

They can always lay off graveyard rphs, make daytime rphs check 150 more scripts, and add 1 tech to daytime 40h/week to deal with the missing graveyard. Cost saving 100k/yr. Boom.

So the Target acquisition is making me wonder if this was the smartest move. If they are opening stores inside Targets...why not just do this in February and then make all of us just slide over to Target? Then there is no lost monies for severance and no training new people for the Target stores.

So the Target acquisition is making me wonder if this was the smartest move. If they are opening stores inside Targets...why not just do this in February and then make all of us just slide over to Target? Then there is no lost monies for severance and no training new people for the Target stores.
Targets are already staffed. I doubt they'll lose this many RPh's in the transition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Targets are already staffed. I doubt they'll lose this many RPh's in the transition.

Staffed with people that don't know CVS's system and need retrained. This isn't a rebrand, CVS is opening stores inside of stores.

Of course, this hasn't been totally figured out yet. They might make them reapply for their own jobs. If it was between me and some unknown Target pharmacist, I'm pretty sure my boss would hire me first.

Actually, now that I think of it, this is probably the best way to do it. Then they could find a place for people they like and drop the dead weight they have internally.

Staffed with people that don't know CVS's system and need retrained. This isn't a rebrand, CVS is opening stores inside of stores.

Of course, this hasn't been totally figured out yet. They might make them reapply for their own jobs. If it was between me and some unknown Target pharmacist, I'm pretty sure my boss would hire me first.

Actually, now that I think of it, this is probably the best way to do it. Then they could find a place for people they like and drop the dead weight they have internally.

I wonder about the same thing. Depending on how long the severance period is they could easily end up using this to trim some dead weight.

I'm not familiar w/Target or CVS pharmacy but couldn't taking out the regular pharmacist at Target be disruptive to the business there? At lower volume grocery pharmacies, the pharmacists have a real good rapport and relationship w/their customers. I don't know if Target is the same but seeing CVS change the pharmacist then maybe isn't the wisest. The Target pharmacist may be unknown to the new CVS boss, but is pretty known in that area and those customers probably. The patients will probably grumble and there likely won't be changes to the bottom line but they won't be happy w/CVS messing around w/people they like and having to start over w/someone new (possibly worse/bitter). I've seen mergers/acquisitions of those types of stores where they keep the pharmacist, just change the company name.

I know nothing about opening a new pharmacy in an existing Target store, I'd guess a CVS overnighter could take it.

Of course, there will be Target pharmacists that jump ship and then CVS overnighters could probably take those shifts/positions. W/more locations they probably need more floaters and will just use current working CVS pharmacists. W/the higher turnover CVS has and turnover they bring to businesses they buy, I'm sure there will be some positions (PT & FT) for some of the ones laid off.

@zelman
@WVUPharm2007
I am speculating here, of course. Those newly acquired Target pharmacies won't be fully staffed for very long. Here are a few reasons why that might be the case:
  • At Target, pharmacists get a 30 minute unpaid lunch break and 2 paid 15 minute breaks. They never work longer than 8 hours. Many pharmacists who choose to work for Target do so in order to avoid CVS & Walgreens but especially, CVS.
  • Target pharmacies do not have the volume on average that a CVS pharmacy has. At Target, pharmacies are a convenience. While CVS pharmacies are expected to generate revenue and profit, Target pharmacies are just expected to break even. They are there to say "this will be ready in 20 minutes" and the expectation is that the "guest" (LOL, yes, the guest) will instead shop for 40 minutes and drop some cash at the front registers.
  • Pharmacy Supervisors at Target tend to not be pharmacists. They are usually glorified cheerleaders who do not know what a Prior Authorization is. Therefore, pharmacists at Target have never been accountable for the myriad of metrics that CVS is about to throw at them.
Some will stay and some will leave. I suppose we shall see.

@zelman
@WVUPharm2007
I am speculating here, of course. Those newly acquired Target pharmacies won't be fully staffed for very long. Here are a few reasons why that might be the case:
  • At Target, pharmacists get a 30 minute unpaid lunch break and 2 paid 15 minute breaks. They never work longer than 8 hours. Many pharmacists who choose to work for Target do so in order to avoid CVS & Walgreens but especially, CVS.
  • Target pharmacies do not have the volume on average that a CVS pharmacy has. At Target, pharmacies are a convenience. While CVS pharmacies are expected to generate revenue and profit, Target pharmacies are just expected to break even. They are there to say "this will be ready in 20 minutes" and the expectation is that the "guest" (LOL, yes, the guest) will instead shop for 40 minutes and drop some cash at the front registers.
  • Pharmacy Supervisors at Target tend to not be pharmacists. They are usually glorified cheerleaders who do not know what a Prior Authorization is. Therefore, pharmacists at Target have never been accountable for the myriad of metrics that CVS is about to throw at them.
Some will stay and some will leave. I suppose we shall see.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: 2 users

Has it come to this? CVS graveyard pharmacists vs Target pharmacists

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

@samuricool
like I said, I was speculating. That means those are not facts but my perception of the situation. I must really know nothing to leave the company the second I could and land a non-retail position with zero patient contact, no phones, *beep* *3 pharmacy calls*, Prescriber calls, dealing with lazy floats, entitled MA recipients and processing refills for their 20 children with 20 different last names. Sure, I may not know anything about retail. I do know leaving retail is one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.
Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
^ well said. It is probably one of the best decisions I have ever made as well

^ well said. It is probably one of the best decisions I have ever made as well

@BMBiology
Yup, not going to miss any of it, not even the lovely junkies screaming for syringes or the pain addicts lining up at midnight demanding an early fill. And the list goes on... I'm out

The midnight junkies are the best part. Hell, they spiced my night up and broke the monotony.

@WVUPharm2007
There is a reason the 24 hour store where I was will remain a 24 hour store. It is always busy. There was no time for nonsense and the late night calls with questions that a nurse line should address.
I had plenty to do there. So telling patients their early by 2 days narcs would be ready in the morning and saying no to junkies asking for syringes was necessary. Nope, won't miss that.

This contraction of jobs is definitely worrisome. Bleh, I remember the prelabeled prescriptions hospitals used to have to do for the ER to dispense overnight, before there were 24hr pharmacies. I guess that recordkeeping mess will be coming back if all the 24 hour pharmacies are closing.

@WVUPharm2007
There is a reason the 24 hour store where I was will remain a 24 hour store. It is always busy. There was no time for nonsense and the late night calls with questions that a nurse line should address.
I had plenty to do there. So telling patients their early by 2 days narcs would be ready in the morning and saying no to junkies asking for syringes was necessary. Nope, won't miss that.

It had nothing to do with volume. It had to with location in comparison with competitors 24 hour stores. This came from R.I. with no input from the field management.

It had nothing to do with volume. It had to with location in comparison with competitors 24 hour stores. This came from R.I. with no input from the field management.

There is a 24 hour Rite Aid a 30 second drive from my store. Apparently, they can't use Google Maps in RI.

There are 2 overnight Walgreens in my district and no overnight CVS' (as of Dec 6th).

All I'm saying is this came from above. Your supe had no advance warning. I'm not saying the people in R.I. are smart....

So is the Dec 6th thing national, I'm guessing? My supe hasn't given me a date yet.
That is the date my district was given. At least 3 stores confirmed, but 5 rumored to be changing to no-24 hour. I am a night pharmacist, and am as of yet unaffected by this, but it does make me wonder about my job security.

I don't know, that is the date I was given but I wasn't told if that was chain wide.

Is your store now closing at midnight or 9 like regular stores? My location is still 24 hr for now, but the other 24hr store in my district was notified last week as well to close at midnight I believe, as are many of the Walgreens in Georgia. For some reason my store and the 24hr Walgreens across the street both remain open 24 hours, but I'm guessing we both have the volume to remain open

Why do you guys assume that looking at stores in comparison with 24 hour competitors, means that CVS would be trying to keep 24 hour stores open if they were next to competitors? I would think the opposite, that they would want to keep 24 hour stores open where they had no competition, but not want to spend the resources competing, so they would be most likely to close up 24 hour stores next to competitors.

Why do you guys assume that looking at stores in comparison with 24 hour competitors, means that CVS would be trying to keep 24 hour stores open if they were next to competitors? I would think the opposite, that they would want to keep 24 hour stores open where they had no competition, but not want to spend the resources competing, so they would be most likely to close up 24 hour stores next to competitors.

I just proximity to competitors was one of the factors. I didn't say which way.

You guys are scaring me in terms of job stability.
I have a really hard time believing that adding more tech hours during the daytime would help...you can only cram so many people in such a confined space just as you can only cram so many multiple manufacturers of generic drugs onto the shelves (obviously because only SANDOZ mfr for patient X "works"). In such an environment, more people in the pharmacy just creates more chaos, confusion, & disorganization that would severely hinder workflow.

How many 24 Hour stores can actually stay out of orange ("red") on week nights before 9pm? If anything, I have at least 5pgs of Orange QV & 1-2pgs of Orange QP when I have no overlap RPh....with sometimes a stack of narcotics to fill. Not to mention, the need for space to perform Script pro returns & maintenance; this is just impossible to do during daytime hours as a Script pro med is literally dispensed every 5 minutes or so.

So apparently it's a week of pay per year of service. It's all seniority based. If your supervisor thinks you are awesome, it doesn't matter.

I had no idea I had a union job.

You guys are scaring me in terms of job stability.
I have a really hard time believing that adding more tech hours during the daytime would help...you can only cram so many people in such a confined space just as you can only cram so many multiple manufacturers of generic drugs onto the shelves (obviously because only SANDOZ mfr for patient X "works"). In such an environment, more people in the pharmacy just creates more chaos, confusion, & disorganization that would severely hinder workflow.

This. I've worked both retail and hospital at a busy time where there were more people than there were computers. Adding more people to the mix doesn't help, if there aren't workstations for everyone (and enough room for everyone to physically move around in to fill drugs.)

Now the 24 hour stores won't meet their script count budgets, so they won't have to pay out bonuses to those staff pharmacists and PICs either. Not to mention the pharmacists being let go, no bonuses to pay out for them either. Also easier now to offer up those PIC positions that nobody wants to take to the overnights being displaced. If you turn it down then you get no severance pay. Genius.

Now the 24 hour stores won't meet their script count budgets, so they won't have to pay out bonuses to those staff pharmacists and PICs either. Not to mention the pharmacists being let go, no bonuses to pay out for them either. Also easier now to offer up those PIC positions that nobody wants to take to the overnights being displaced. If you turn it down then you get no severance pay. Genius.

Nope. You are giving them way too much credit and this was terribly conceived. What wound up happening is that one person in my district stayed on...that person the supervisor doesn't want managing a store...but he can't give it to any of us other people because corporate won't let hem keep who they want, just who has seniority. CVS keeps all the people in their 60s...dumps all the people in their prime...

It is in the CVS's playbook page 101: how to get rid of employees

Since they are getting rid of them in December so no ESSP for the 2nd half of the year. Yeah, they just borrowed your money for 5 months without paying you any interest. This also prevents employees from spiking their 401 k at the beginning of the year just to get the maximum match.

There are some areas, like Louisiana, where they have a shortage of PICs. This will help them force people into those positions. Should be interesting to see if script budgets are reduced and their reaction to customers transferring out. It will be blamed on the pharmacists even though the change in hours is the obvious cause.

Oh and don't forget no PTO for Christmas and New year

This is exactly why nobody should defend CVS. I understand it is a business but this company uses every trick in the book to take advantage of their employees, even when they are down.

That
Nope. You are giving them way too much credit and this was terribly conceived. What wound up happening is that one person in my district stayed on...that person the supervisor doesn't want managing a store...but he can't give it to any of us other people because corporate won't let hem keep who they want, just who has seniority. CVS keeps all the people in their 60s...dumps all the people in their prime...
That's because you have union job. Why I don't like union bs. Seniority trumps all even said employee sucks hardcore. Plus, same pay for staff rph NORMALLY without regard who is the best performer. You can be as lazy as hell, work in sh1tty location vs. Metro, or do 500 rx a day, clock in clock out and you will get same pay.

There are some areas, like Louisiana, where they have a shortage of PICs. This will help them force people into those positions. Should be interesting to see if script budgets are reduced and their reaction to customers transferring out. It will be blamed on the pharmacists even though the change in hours is the obvious cause.
Not everyone can uproot their whole family: kids, wife with a job, and move 300+ miles away. If you are single yea... Maybe... Even then, starting over and leaving all your friends suck.