This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh yeah, the narc inventory, I knew I was forgetting stuff!

I never really understood the concept of not putting stuff in as waiters. So you prevent a waiter going red, but if you don't put anything in as a waiter you aren't getting any credit in the metrics for doing waiters. I would much rather have a 95% ready when promised for waiters than not show any waiters at all.

I read that you also do cycle count, OOS scan, outdates etc etc... How many ready fills do you do on an average night to have time for all that?

Members don't see this ad.

I read that you also do cycle count, OOS scan, outdates etc etc... How many ready fills do you do on an average night to have time for all that?

On an especially good night I do close to 150 scripts total. I would say about 100-120 of those are from readyfill.

@Apotheker2015 - Your scheduler will love you for sure, lol

On an especially good night I do close to 150 scripts total. I would say about 100-120 of those are from readyfill.

@owlegrad
Sweet! So the majority of the scripts are ready fill. Very nice. I am ready to make a dent on those loans, man. I am getting 9 days off after my first week and then I will transition to my permanent store. I am for sure work and make some extra cash.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

I've only worked one overnight so I mostly have no idea what I'm talking about and you guys definitely know more. I had 14 pages total QP drop in with the readyfills so about 135 rx. I had zero problem filling checking and filing these as well as doing narc counts, restocking the robot, doing RTS and putting up 30 totes of truck with one tech from 8-10 pm and 7-8 am. I also had time to take 30 minutes to eat.

I'm sure I was moving faster than I would after doing it for a few weeks and I was kind of amped up and am used to the crazy pace of my day shift and was not sure what to expect so I wanted to move quickly. I think the best advice is to have a task list and move through it in an organized way.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure I was moving faster than I would after doing it for a few weeks...

That many scripts with that many totes is pretty darn good! I assume having a robot helps.

I agree with what you posted - after doing it for a while I can confide that rather than getting better at it, I am probably losing efficiency. There is just so much time to do everything that once you reach a reasonable level of proficiency there is no reason to improve any further.

That many scripts with that many totes is pretty darn good! I assume having a robot helps.

I agree with what you posted - after doing it for a while I can confide that rather than getting better at it, I am probably losing efficiency. There is just so much time to do everything that once you reach a reasonable level of proficiency there is no reason to improve any further.

I was a tech in a high volume store for 7 years so I'm pretty quick at production. But yeah the robot did more work than I did hahaha

I've only worked one overnight so I mostly have no idea what I'm talking about and you guys definitely know more. I had 14 pages total QP drop in with the readyfills so about 135 rx. I had zero problem filling checking and filing these as well as doing narc counts, restocking the robot, doing RTS and putting up 30 totes of truck with one tech from 8-10 pm and 7-8 am. I also had time to take 30 minutes to eat.

I'm sure I was moving faster than I would after doing it for a few weeks and I was kind of amped up and am used to the crazy pace of my day shift and was not sure what to expect so I wanted to move quickly. I think the best advice is to have a task list and move through it in an organized way.

Hey FarmD711,

thank you for your advice. It sounds like you do move fast. This week I will not be working with automation but in 2 weeks from now I will. Do you have any other tips to share? What is your usual task list?

Thanks a lot!

Apotheker2015

Are you sure it was 14 pages? That's 210 scripts... I have never seen 14 pages drop... My usual night after 12 is 8 pages QP, 3-4 pages QT. I thought I was pretty efficient already (worked day time before too)... But if you really can do 14 pages, and that's just QP, and can put up 30 totes, then more power to you... But I think you are exaggerating a bit.

Are you sure it was 14 pages? That's 210 scripts... I have never seen 14 pages drop... My usual night after 12 is 8 pages QP, 3-4 pages QT. I thought I was pretty efficient already (worked day time before too)... But if you really can do 14 pages, and that's just QP, and can put up 30 totes, then more power to you... But I think you are exaggerating a bit.

I had an overnight floater claimed he can clear 33 pages so nothing is impossible I guess lol.

Wucool33,

do you have any pointers you would like to share?

Thanks!

Apotheker2015

It was 14 pages. It was a 4500/week store with ~50% readyfill enrollment.

As I said, I would never be able to keep up that pace after a couple nights (although obviously the totes were only twice a week). But I was able to get it all done in the time I had.

@owlegrad
I just got back from the CVS in the burbs where I will sadly be for a week only. LOL, it was quiet, clean and people were not shooting each other inside or in the parking lot. The pharmacist was just chilling. Very cool guy. Told me that's a good store to break into overnights. Talked me through the daily routine and offered to leave a list of tasks for me.

He did say that when it gets busy it gets very busy but that it is nothing you can't handle if you have been an intern/tech at busy stores before and if you keep yourself organized, like you said.

The store where I will permanently, on the other hand... is known to be a zoo. There is a cop inside at all times. LOL. BUT it has automation. We'll see. I guess I will just make sure that I pick up many shifts in suburbia.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Apotheker2015

to see if a rx was picked up after hitting P for profile, hit X, the V1 or "view" whichever line the rx is and it will show details "pickup info", my store typically has 3-5 pages left in QP when the night RPh shows up and most is typically done as wells as ready fills and filling automation, RTS, etc. We do have a fill after 8am policy for too soon controls unless the patient always comes at night due to working night shift as well, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to clean up the queues and the pharmacy in general (trash, coffee spills, e

to see if a rx was picked up after hitting P for profile, hit X, the V1 or "view" whichever line the rx is and it will show details "pickup info", my store typically has 3-5 pages left in QP when the night RPh shows up and most is typically done as wells as ready fills and filling automation, RTS, etc. We do have a fill after 8am policy for too soon controls unless the patient always comes at night due to working night shift as well, etc.

SoutherRetailRPH,

thank you for clarifying that. I almost messed that up today (last night). Luckily, the patient said "I have my old bottle here" so I had her confirm she had been on that same dose forever and gave her a 3 day supply. I did a print screen and added notes to it for the morning pharmacist. Last night was my first overnight. I actually just got home. I was in the burbs, oh the sweet burbs, where people are polite no matter what and where they have insurance cards on them and if it does not go through they just pull out an American Express that won't decline. I actually had no one asking for controlled substances at midnight. It was a very busy night but I made it through. It was UTI night in the burbs. LOL

The one thing I did not think was right was the fact that the evening crew left 6 pages of QP, about 3 of QT and 5 of QV for me. I guess everyone is new at the store but they did not even put away the drugs used in production, 4 baskets, and did not put away a good 50 bags of verified drugs. Come on... So I cleared all that by 3am. At that point I had not even touched the readyfill. The evening crew just left too many loose ends. I stayed there until 9am. Of course, I won't get paid for that last hour but on the upside, the Rxsup called and asked how I had done and the PIC said to the Rxsup I was still there making sure everything got done.

Anyway, thanks for your insight. Time to hit the hay. Gotta be there at 8pm tonight.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Sine Cura,

thank you for your response. I said 6 to 9 months max because I have a couple of other things baking in the oven which may take that long to crystallize. Like I said, I am a night owl and thrive working those hours. Thus, being there longer would not mean being *stuck* there for me. It's a job. Pays well and that's that. I am one of those who does not believe you have to LOVE your job. It's a job. Do it well and get paid. Done.

On the cash loss report, I will have to ask what they want me to do and thank you for bringing that up. I will also stay away from filling stuff that is sitting in the waiting bin elsewhere. I'll add those pointers to the list.

As I mentioned on my post, the list is a collection of items I gathered from reading many threads. I literally typed up everything they said and figured you experienced vets would tell me if the items made sense or not. If you could tell me other tricks/tips you have come up for yourself that have made your life easier as an overnight pharmacist, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Apotheker2015

BINGO!

Try to clean up the queues and the pharmacy in general (trash, coffee spills, e

Tryingtomakeit,

I did that to the best of my ability. I always try to wipe everything with Clorox wipes. It's that time of the year when people are getting sick. I even vacuumed. You know the PIC loved that when she walked in.

Thanks for your insight!

Best,

Apotheker2015

LOL, I am glad I am not the only one who feels that way. To me it's a means to an end. I enjoy doing it well, though. I don't love my job BUT I love being GOOD at it.

Oh yeah, the narc inventory, I knew I was forgetting stuff!

I never really understood the concept of not putting stuff in as waiters. So you prevent a waiter going red, but if you don't put anything in as a waiter you aren't getting any credit in the metrics for doing waiters. I would much rather have a 95% ready when promised for waiters than not show any waiters at all.

Ready when promised for waiters is a diagnostic so it doesn't matter that much, but this diagnostic is based on whether people are truly waiting as determined by time to POS sale after to time verified. For example if you put something in as a waiter and they show up tomorrow it doesn't count as a waiter.

If a waiter is put in, it should be W15 or less or even W (to get easy points for "properly set waiter expectations." But the wait time calculator shows W20 or worse, it's best not to put it in as a waiter anyway because it will detract from "properly set waiter expectations."

As for "load" I wasn't clear because I meant putting away the DC delivery or "truck" colloquially. For you night time peeps that can do all that (put away the delivery, do inventory management and such) and clear the queues, your manager or daytime people should really appreciate it. Then again if they still leave **** like multiple pages in QT, QP, and QV, you would be right to wonder WTF is going on in the day time.

Congratulations on your first night!
Yes I also get frustrated when they don't put away their drugs so I get stuck doing it for them sometimes. Also they tend to have the new techs work at night so it's not surprising.

Expect to get several calls, emails, and texts from the supervisor and scheduler asking you to pick up shifts on your week off. Even supervisors from neighboring districts will be asking you to work on your week off to cover shifts in their district. This might not happen to you but it does to several 7on7off employees I know at cvs.

First, kudos to Apotheker2015 for posting this entire thread--I randomly happen to have just found myself in exactly the same position. New CVS overnight pharmacist.:help: It's also my first time working for CVS, although I've been a technician in retail before. But anyways, I was going to ask the above poster if they could clarify--Are you politically expected to accept some extra day shifts, despite this not being an official job requirement (if you know what I mean)? Or is this strictly up to you? I've heard other posters mentioning that a more stable way to earn extra money is to seek a per diem job in another area of pharmacy, since OT can fluctuate. I was just wondering in the back of my mind, however, if the DM will essentially pressure you to work OT for the company, notwithstanding that the night shift is a full-time job.

First, kudos to Apotheker2015 for posting this entire thread--I randomly happen to have just found myself in exactly the same position. New CVS overnight pharmacist.:help: It's also my first time working for CVS, although I've been a technician in retail before. But anyways, I was going to ask the above poster if they could clarify--Are you politically expected to accept some extra day shifts, despite this not being an official job requirement (if you know what I mean)? Or is this strictly up to you? I've heard other posters mentioning that a more stable way to earn extra money is to seek a per diem job in another area of pharmacy, since OT can fluctuate. I was just wondering in the back of my mind, however, if the DM will essentially pressure you to work OT for the company, notwithstanding that the night shift is a full-time job.

@Shohōsen,

I hope your doing well. I have never been asked to work any daytime shifts during my 7 days off. Only once was I asked *if I would like* to work an additional overnight shift in the middle of my 7 days off. I was only asked is because I expressed interest in picking up extra shifts early on. I can't imagine anyone cornering you and *strongly encouraging* you to take a daytime shift. All you have to say is that you are not available over those days. I suppose you could say that you will be out of town those days. However, the second you start providing explanations, you should know that explanations will be expected. Just say that unfortunately, you are not available. And remember that just because your phone rings, it does not mean you have to pick it up.

Tell us how your nights are going. Do you walk into a mess of 20+ pages in red every night? Or is it just a few? Are you able to do all that and your readyfills?

Best,

Apotheker2015

Why am I getting offline mode like..every Saturday now? So sick of it. At least it was only 12am - 3 this time.
I walk into like 10 pages a night (6qp/3qv/1qt). Don't mind it because IMO the overnight is there to clean up the mess. Yeah I see empty pizza boxes from the daytime pizza parties, massive stack of unfolded e-scripts, overfilled trash bins, etc. I stopped getting mad at that stuff a long time because in the end, I'm getting paid $5 extra to refill easy maintenance meds and take out the garbage. Option 8 in the action note becomes your best friend too. I love the early morning regulars, I develop good relationships with them because I have the time for them.

I agree, I am so sick of the down time. I mean logically my job should be easier if the computer is down, right? Never the case. Stuff working the way it should would be just awesome.

What do you do when the system goes offline and customers come in wanting to wait? Refer them elsewhere or fill it and risk taking a loss?

Why am I getting offline mode like..every Saturday now? So sick of it. At least it was only 12am - 3 this time.
I walk into like 10 pages a night (6qp/3qv/1qt). Don't mind it because IMO the overnight is there to clean up the mess. Yeah I see empty pizza boxes from the daytime pizza parties, massive stack of unfolded e-scripts, overfilled trash bins, etc. I stopped getting mad at that stuff a long time because in the end, I'm getting paid $5 extra to refill easy maintenance meds and take out the garbage. Option 8 in the action note becomes your best friend too. I love the early morning regulars, I develop good relationships with them because I have the time for them.
I wish my night pharmacists had such a positive attitude like this and actually took out the trash (or at least make the techs)

I wish my night pharmacists had such a positive attitude like this and actually took out the trash (or at least make the techs)

I have noticed that many overnight RPhs seem pretty bitter about having to do "tech work". Not sure why they think we should be immune to it, but to each their own. I am still pretty stunned how little we have to do. It's a great gig if you don't mind the crazy schedule.

What do you do when the system goes offline and customers come in wanting to wait? Refer them elsewhere or fill it and risk taking a loss?

Depends. If it is an insurance I know we accept, I will fill it and risk the loss. If it is something I have never heard of, tough luck, the computer is down.

Also the system will not allow ANY control to be filled in downtime mode, so that means most ER scripts are not getting filled, lol

The system does allow controls to be filled but it has blocked certain DEA numbers that would work fine when the system is online. Maybe it's a florida thing that prevents controls from being filled in offline mode.
It's frustrating how they assign an rx number that does not follow along with the online script numbers.

The system does allow controls to be filled but it has blocked certain DEA numbers that would work fine when the system is online.

It always gives me a message like "Cannot validate DEA number" when I select the prescriber. This goes for refills and new scripts. I called the helplessdesk and all they could do was say they got a lot of phone calls about this issue and give me a ticket number. :shrug:

I just tell them to come back at least after 5am... Not a lot of people really NEED their med at 2 in the morning... If they did, there are other 24 hr stores in the area. And I just looked at the report, I did 216 rxs last night and I had other tasks as well. I'd argue I have it worse than the day shifts on some nights. Lucky you guys that only have to do 100 rx. I pass out right when I get home...

Doing 216 rxs is impressive but the amount of scripts also depends on the tech help and automation. Some stores have techs until 2am, others until midnight, 11pm and even 8pm. Some stores have techs starting at 6am, 7am, 8am or 9am. If you have techs staying until 3am and coming in at 6am you can easily pull off 200+ scripts but if you work 8pm-8am with no tech help then 200 scripts can be difficult.

Doing 216 rxs is impressive but the amount of scripts also depends on the tech help and automation. Some stores have techs until 2am, others until midnight, 11pm and even 8pm. Some stores have techs starting at 6am, 7am, 8am or 9am. If you have techs staying until 3am and coming in at 6am you can easily pull off 200+ scripts but if you work 8pm-8am with no tech help then 200 scripts can be difficult.

It was actually from 9:30pm-8am. I have a tech until 10 or 11, but it's always a new tech that can't do drop off. There's a rush from 10-12, so it sucks balls when that tech goes home. Customers feel sorry for me seeing me running around like a headless chicken lol I do have automation, but I'm required to fill that thing up for the day time people, that can take awhile. I also have to do 14 day rts and have to put the automation ones back in the robot as well. The morning tech comes in at 7:30 or so, but is basically useless for me since his/her only job is to check in the order... That tech won't even help with answering phones or pickup. It can get really tough. The other 24 hr store in my district doesn't do nearly as much scripts as our store... I wish I was there lol

oh boy... @SouthernRetailRPH,Can you please share with us why you can't take out the trash yourself? We all walk past the dumpster on our way out the pharmacy.

Last edited:
I have noticed that many overnight RPhs seem pretty bitter about having to do "tech work". Not sure why they think we should be immune to it, but to each their own. I am still pretty stunned how little we have to do. It's a great gig if you don't mind the crazy schedule.

Owlegrad,

I have to say that my experience has been very different from what you are describing. Through the last 24 shifts I constantly walked into 25+ pages of red queues every night. I do mean stuff from 10 am just sitting in QV for no reason. I had a LOT to do and it was never all done. So I guess this might be store specific or maybe even region specific or probably the fact that the PIC thinks *he/she is too good to do anything but QV during the day. There are a lot of lazy pharmacists at CVS.

Last edited:
It was actually from 9:30pm-8am. I have a tech until 10 or 11, but it's always a new tech that can't do drop off. There's a rush from 10-12, so it sucks balls when that tech goes home. Customers feel sorry for me seeing me running around like a headless chicken lol I do have automation, but I'm required to fill that thing up for the day time people, that can take awhile. I also have to do 14 day rts and have to put the automation ones back in the robot as well. The morning tech comes in at 7:30 or so, but is basically useless for me since his/her only job is to check in the order... That tech won't even help with answering phones or pickup. It can get really tough. The other 24 hr store in my district doesn't do nearly as much scripts as our store... I wish I was there lol

Have the technician answer phones as soon as he/she gets there. That's nonsense. There is no reason why that technician cannot pick up the phone.

While you guys are discussing the topics of working night and OT shifts as a pharmacist, I'd like to ask a few brief questions. If a pharmacist works the 8 PM - 8 AM nightshift, how many of those shifts would they be expected to work each week to be considered a full-time employee? Is there much/any shift differential offered to pharmacists who work nights on a FT basis?

Also, in regards to OT, are OT shifts freely available such that a pharmacist could work as many additional shifts as they can handle, or is it more common to just be able to work an extra shift or two every month or so?

Thanks....

While you guys are discussing the topics of working night and OT shifts as a pharmacist, I'd like to ask a few brief questions. If a pharmacist works the 8 PM - 8 AM nightshift, how many of those shifts would they be expected to work each week to be considered a full-time employee? Is there much/any shift differential offered to pharmacists who work nights on a FT basis?

Also, in regards to OT, are OT shifts freely available such that a pharmacist could work as many additional shifts as they can handle, or is it more common to just be able to work an extra shift or two every month or so?

Thanks....

PAToPharm,

your Rx supervisor would tell you what your base of hours is. I get 70 hours per pay period. That is roughly 35 hours per week but you work 7 shifts in a row.The shift differential may also vary from state to state. Mine is $5/hour for each hour worked of the night shift; i.e., if you're working 8pm to 8am, then you get a $5 dollar differential for each one of those 12 hours.

I don't know much about working overtime. By the time, my 7th shift comes, I am too tired of seeing and hearing customers that I don't think I'd ever pick up an extra shift.

PAToPharm,

your Rx supervisor would tell you what your base of hours is. I get 70 hours per pay period. That is roughly 35 hours per week but you work 7 shifts in a row.The shift differential may also vary from state to state. Mine is $5/hour for each hour worked of the night shift; i.e., if you're working 8pm to 8am, then you get a $5 dollar differential for each one of those 12 hours.

I don't know much about working overtime. By the time, my 7th shift comes, I am too tired of seeing and hearing customers that I don't think I'd ever pick up an extra shift.

Thanks for the insight. So just out of curiosity, are you working 7 10 hr shifts and then getting 7 days off? If you don't mind me being nosy, can I ask how many wks of vacation you get (or at least, how many wks of vacation most new grads start out with)?

I was thinking that it would be kind of nice to work 3 12 hr shifts, but it sounds like 10 7 hour shifts might be a more common work schedule.

Thanks for the insight. So just out of curiosity, are you working 7 10 hr shifts and then getting 7 days off? If you don't mind me being nosy, can I ask how many wks of vacation you get (or at least, how many wks of vacation most new grads start out with)?

I was thinking that it would be kind of nice to work 3 12 hr shifts, but it sounds like 10 7 hour shifts might be a more common work schedule.

PAtoPharm,

I am pretty sure everyone starts with 1 week of vacation after 1 year. You said "10 7 hour shifts might be a more common work schedule". I think you might have meant seven 10 hour shifts. That actually varies from store to store. I know people who 84 hours in 7 nights and that's seven 12 hour shifts. 7 nights on/ 7 nights off is pretty much the standard schedule for overnight pharmacists.

Hope that helps.

For night shifts, location & organization is key...make sure your last techs clean the production area & not leave a bunch of paperwork.

Prioritize: QP & QV everything up until 7am-10am (depending on how much morning help there is; morning RPh has plenty of mandatory tasks to complete as well). QP as much scheduled meds as possible (sort time-wise & with baskets...if you somehow have time they can be verified last). QP & QV all the ready fills. Make sure it's perfectly clear what overnight RPh tasks are vs. daytime; this varies store-store...daytime will sometimes pawn off workload on overnight RPhs mainly because have no reality of what working overnight is like.

Overnights will usually be solely in charge of automation maintenance. Know & learn the parameters of your machine well...it is essentially your slave technician. Take full advantage of...keep an eye out for which meds should be used for automation based on local prescribing habits. Also consider cumbersome aspects such as packaging (500+ count stock bottles vs. 100), dose form, cell-size, etc.

Last edited:
PAtoPharm,

I am pretty sure everyone starts with 1 week of vacation after 1 year. You said "10 7 hour shifts might be a more common work schedule". I think you might have meant seven 10 hour shifts. That actually varies from store to store. I know people who 84 hours in 7 nights and that's seven 12 hour shifts. 7 nights on/ 7 nights off is pretty much the standard schedule for overnight pharmacists.

Hope that helps.

You're exactly right -- I meant to type "7 10 hour shifts." My bad! LOL :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if new pharmacists don't receive paid vacation until they begin their second year of employment, does that mean that they don't get any time off during their first year of employment (I.e., the 7 "off" days they get every other week are basically their vacation time)? Or can they get time off for vacations, but they're just not paid for it?

Thanks, and please forgive my ignorance...

30 overnight positions gone from my region. I'm one of them. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. My boss wants to figure out how to keep me in his district and I have contacts in other companies, so I think I'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
30 overnight positions gone from my region. I'm one of them. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. My boss wants to figure out how to keep me in his district and I have contacts in other companies, so I think I'll be fine.

Do they realize they are going to lose the only pharmacist they have who actually likes the company?

Reactions: 1 users
srs?