This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apotheker2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a recent grad with a freshly minted license. Took a job with CVS and decided to go the overnight route. The hours are not a problem for me at all. I am a night owl and thrive at night. I even put myself on an overnight schedule about a month ago when I accepted the overnight position. At that time I was studying for the boards and I am 100% used to it. I am aware of the health risks. However, I should mention I am not doing this long term. I'd say 6-9 months max.

I am asking for the advice of any overnight CVS pharmacists on what the routine tasks are. I asked my pharmacy supervisor twice if I could train with the overnight pharmacist the night before my first shift and I am still to get a straight answer. I have a feeling my question will be ignored and Monday night will come and will show up for my first shift completely unprepared.

I have done a bit of homework and here is what I have gathered from other threads. I welcome any additional advice or comments on any of the items listed below.

Tips for Overnight shift at CVS
1. Set wait time to 90 minutes
2. Get phone numbers for every walk-in.
· Enroll everyone who brings a script on Text Notifications
· You don’t have time to call everyone to let them know they’re script is ready.
· Tell patients to not come back until they get a text notifying them the script is ready.​
3. Type all scripts together, then fill them, then verify them together.
4. Do not enter Flu shots as waiters. Tell them it will be at least 1 hour and a half.
5. Phone and consultation window have the lowest priority.
· People who step up to the consultation window usually want to know where something is located in the store.​
6. Make “Restroom BRB” sign for drive-thru and counter.
7. Have numbers of other 24 hour stores handy.
8. Have the number of other overnight pharmacists.
9. Computer system reboots at 3:00am until 3:20am.
· System will warn you about this
· Cash registers will still work​
10. Run cash loss report for 13 days as soon as your shift starts.
· Do RTS before midnight.​
11. Readyfill will populate at midnight.
12. Expect an 11:45pm – 12:45am rush of too soon to fill controlled substances. Do not fill any controlled substances for anyone who does not have a history of fills there. Must have ID, insurance card. Don't have any of those? Well, it must wait until morning when the physician's office can be contacted to verify there is a patient-physician relationship.
Do you tell people you're out of X,Y,Z or do you tell them you do not feel comfortable filling it?
13. Must 2nd shift clear QT, QP and QV before overnight pharmacist starts?
14. Know how to check if an Rx was picked up or filled at another CVS or not.(?)
15. For Rx’s at a non-24 hour CVS store, know how to charge people their copay amounts before you can bill the insurance
· Remember to follow-up with the non-24 hour CVS store and have AM staff at your store bill insurance
· Or simply tell the person to go get their medication where the medication got filled​
16. You will be in charge of compounding
17. Cycle counts
18. Possibly having to put away the truck order if it comes in before your shift ends.
19. PSE
· Check IDs under blue light and check addresses.
· Deny any sale that looks suspicious in any way.​

Thank you everyone.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
4. Do not enter Flu shots as waiters. Tell them it will be at least 1 hour and a half.
5. Phone and consultation window have the lowest priority.· People who step up to the consultation window usually want to know where something is located in the store.

Good luck telling people who come at 2 AM they have to wait until 3:30 AM. Be prepared to get yelled every hour you are working overnights if that's what you are going to do. Normal wait time is 10-15 mins tops overnight shift. If you make windows low priority, prepare to get a lot of complaints reported.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I am a recent grad with a freshly minted license. Took a job with CVS and decided to go the overnight route. The hours are not a problem for me at all. I am a night owl and thrive at night. I even put myself on an overnight schedule about a month ago when I accepted the overnight position. At that time I was studying for the boards and I am 100% used to it. I am aware of the health risks. However, I should mention I am not doing this long term. I'd say 6-9 months max.

I am asking for the advice of any overnight CVS pharmacists on what the routine tasks are. I asked my pharmacy supervisor twice if I could train with the overnight pharmacist the night before my first shift and I am still to get a straight answer. I have a feeling my question will be ignored and Monday night will come and will show up for my first shift completely unprepared.

I have done a bit of homework and here is what I have gathered from other threads. I welcome any additional advice or comments on any of the items listed below.

Tips for Overnight shift at CVS
2. Get phone numbers for every walk-in.
· Enroll everyone who brings a script on Text Notifications
· You don’t have time to call everyone to let them know they’re script is ready.
· Tell patients to not come back until they get a text notifying them the script is ready. If they don't want to sign up for text notifications, well, that's their damn issue.​
3. Type all scripts together, then fill them, then verify them together.
5. Phone and consultation window have the lowest priority.
· People who step up to the consultation window usually want to know where something is located in the store.​
6. Make “Restroom BRB” sign for drive-thru and counter.
7. Have numbers of other 24 hour stores handy.
8. Have the number of other overnight pharmacists.
9. Computer system reboots at 3:00am until 3:20am.
· System will warn you about this
· Cash registers will still work​
10. Run cash loss report for 13 days as soon as your shift starts.
· Do RTS before midnight.​
11. Readyfill will populate at midnight.
12. Expect an 11:45pm – 12:45am rush of too soon to fill controlled substances. Do not fill any controlled substances for anyone who does not have a history of fills there. Must have ID, insurance card. Don't have any of those? Well, it must wait until morning when the physician's office can be contacted to verify there is a patient-physician relationship. Don't like it? Tough luck...
Do you tell people you're out of X,Y,Z or do you tell them you do not feel comfortable filling it?
13. Must 2nd shift clear QT, QP and QV before overnight pharmacist starts?
14. Know how to check if an Rx was picked up or filled at another CVS or not.(?)
15. For Rx’s at a non-24 hour CVS store, know how to charge people their copay amounts before you can bill the insurance
· Remember to follow-up with the non-24 hour CVS store and have AM staff at your store bill insurance
· Or simply tell the person to cut the damn nonsense and go get their medication where the medication got filled​
16. You will be in charge of compounding
17. Cycle counts
18. Possibly having to put away the truck order if it comes in before your shift ends.
19. PSE
· Check IDs under blue light and check addresses.
· Deny any sale that looks suspicious in any way.​

Thank you everyone.

Best,

Apotheker2015

3 year vet of the cvs graveyard here, happy to help fill in the gaps. Firstly, forget getting permission to go in the night before, just go. You won't be paid for you're time, but you work at cvs, get used to it. Plus it's polite to get to know your parter.

1. 90 min wait? That's your one mulligan Bambi. Momus is 100% right. You will get rushes every so often that bump up the wait times, but generally you should have waiters done in <10. Work 1 patient at a time and you shouldn't have any problems. I write what time I quoted in the top corner to keep tract of my timetable.
2. Phone numbers are good to have. You won't use them as often as you think. People always show up before the quoted time. Get used to it. You quote them 30, they're back in 10.
4. Our flu shots stop after my last tech leaves. Screw getting bogged down with a shot when you're the only one there. Something you may want to bring up.
5. Address everyone as quickly as possible. It's factored into the scores. Even if you have to put a line on hold, do it. It beats hearing "1 pharmacy call" over and over anyway.
10. You also need to run a 6 day cash loss report. My sup told everyone to rts all first fills and high dollar scripts. Review with your partner/pic how they want it done.
12. We used to have this. My district and our neighbor district implemented fills on controls will be made available for p/u after 8am on the day it is due to be filled (1 day early from previous fill in my district). Midnight rushes vanished. Cleared out the riffraff too. Now, scripts from the ER we still fill. Those are stat, but if you already should have some left, the doc had no intention of you filling it at the first possible second. You can wait. Also, be sure you use your state's monitoring program. Lets you know all control fills for a patient anywhere. Linked in RxNet under state pmp programs tab. That should cover you if you need to turn someone away. Company policy is to never lie about not having a drug. If I'm not comfortable I tell them I have to consult the doctor before filling. 99% of the time they take the rx back. If not, have your relief call in the morning.
14. YES. Lots of patients forgetting to pick up before their usual store closes. If it's in the waiting bin, and you're okay with trusting the other pharmacist, copy it and price match it through cash. If it's on hold, I say no. Can't see the original and it hasn't been checked by a pharmacist yet.

Hope this helps. Once you've worked a few weeks you'll be able to establish you're groove. I have a robot, so that helps a lot. My routine once ready fills drop:
1. Run all labels that are in the robot.
2. While the robot is doing its thing, clear qt. remember, some insurances are down until 1am (est).
2. Run all labels on a separate printer for quick pull drugs. Anything I can just slap a label on or pour in a bottle. Bam. Done. Shrinks your qp quick.
3. Then move on to the rest. I run alphabetically. Saves time or else you're bouncing between bays.
4. Hunker down and clear the qv.

Reactions: 4 users
Text messages don't go out during overnight shifts to non-waiters.

I would recommend against giving immunizations when you're alone. If you do, at least have the supervisor come hang out nearby so they can call 911 if you need to give CPR or deal with fainting or whatever

I suggest making a list of everything you are expected to do every night. It is shockingly easy to get distracted and forget something; I keep a pocket list of what I want to get done every night and just check it off as I go. Ask your partner what he or she does if you don't know.

1. Terrible advice. I can't stress enough how bad this advice is. Except for the occasional rush the wait time really shouldn't be more than 10 minutes. Ask the overnight supervisor if you can call him/her to help with checkout if you get busy. Some can/will, others not so much.

2. I guess this is good advice, although I can't recall a time I have ever called anyone. I just page them overhead when it is ready. If they want to leave and come back I just tell them when it will be ready. The idea about enrolling everyone in texting is a good one except that there is no reason to have such a confrontational attitude about it. I also am not sure the details about how texting works overnight - does it have to be a waiter for them to get a text? Do they even get texts overnight?

3. Yeah this is how I do it.

4. What are you going to do for 1.5 hours while they wait for their flu shot? How obnoxious can you be? Either do it or don't do it (not doing it is against policy of course), but don't be a dick about it.

5. I do agree with giving the phones the lowest priority when you have people at the counter. If someone wants to know where something is, just tell them, why make them wait? Weird.

6. I never thought of that, but I do put a sign in the drive through window when I am in the break-room so they know there is no hope that I will see or help them. Most bathroom breaks are short enough that I don't see a need for any kind of sign.

7. 8. Aren't these the same things? Anyway, yes I agree with this.

9. You can have the system reboot anytime after midnight. I think the usual thing to do is have it reboot while you take your break.

10. I just do RTS based on the RTS report, but hey, whatever works for you.

11. Yup.

12. It is against policy (and ethics) to lie unless you feel your safety is in jeopardy. I just tell them professionally why I won't fill the script.

13. Hahahahahaha. Good one. Really, what do you think you are there for? Most of your time will be spent cleaning up the day shift and doing readyfill with a small amount of time for new scripts and early controls.

14. It is impossible to know if a script was picked up at another CVS. You can tell if it was filled or put on hold though.

15. I just tell people I can't fill it until the other CVS puts it back. I am surprised by how many pharmacist apparently are willing to do this.

16. I can't recall the last time I compounded something.

17. This should be on your list of things to do.

18. This depends on the store but yeah I would say to expect to put at least some truck away.

19. Yeah

I strongly recommend coming in to shadow your partner for an hour or two even if it means not being paid.
Several 24 hour stores have automation units like a script pro or kl-60 (kirby) so learn about how to refill those with labels, vials, drugs, returning RTS vials, etc.

Its a lot like prison. First night, you have to go in and smack down a person looking for their narcs at 12:01AM. Otherwise, the "new RPh" bat signal goes up and they all come running. Next thing you know, you got a line 10 deep of people, CII scripts in hand, wanting it at the stroke of midnight. Your graveyard RPh pimp hand must be strong.

Reactions: 3 users
Also majority of patients at night seem to have medicaid even at the suburb stores. You will have medicaid patients come in the middle of the night from the ER with a script for zyrtec because they have bad allergies. You can try to tell them it's available over the counter but they will want it for free via medicaid.
You will be shocked how many people tell you they don't have a working phone so try not to rely on texts and calls.

Also keep an eye on the written date for ER scripts.

3 year vet of the cvs graveyard here, happy to help fill in the gaps. Firstly, forget getting permission to go in the night before, just go. You won't be paid for you're time, but you work at cvs, get used to it. Plus it's polite to get to know your parter.

1. 90 min wait? That's your one mulligan Bambi. Momus is 100% right. You will get rushes every so often that bump up the wait times, but generally you should have waiters done in <10. Work 1 patient at a time and you shouldn't have any problems. I write what time I quoted in the top corner to keep tract of my timetable.
2. Phone numbers are good to have. You won't use them as often as you think. People always show up before the quoted time. Get used to it. You quote them 30, they're back in 10.
4. Our flu shots stop after my last tech leaves. Screw getting bogged down with a shot when you're the only one there. Something you may want to bring up.
5. Address everyone as quickly as possible. It's factored into the scores. Even if you have to put a line on hold, do it. It beats hearing "1 pharmacy call" over and over anyway.
10. You also need to run a 6 day cash loss report. My sup told everyone to rts all first fills and high dollar scripts. Review with your partner/pic how they want it done.
12. We used to have this. My district and our neighbor district implemented fills on controls will be made available for p/u after 8am on the day it is due to be filled (1 day early from previous fill in my district). Midnight rushes vanished. Cleared out the riffraff too. Now, scripts from the ER we still fill. Those are stat, but if you already should have some left, the doc had no intention of you filling it at the first possible second. You can wait. Also, be sure you use your state's monitoring program. Lets you know all control fills for a patient anywhere. Linked in RxNet under state pmp programs tab. That should cover you if you need to turn someone away. Company policy is to never lie about not having a drug. If I'm not comfortable I tell them I have to consult the doctor before filling. 99% of the time they take the rx back. If not, have your relief call in the morning.
14. YES. Lots of patients forgetting to pick up before their usual store closes. If it's in the waiting bin, and you're okay with trusting the other pharmacist, copy it and price match it through cash. If it's on hold, I say no. Can't see the original and it hasn't been checked by a pharmacist yet.

Hope this helps. Once you've worked a few weeks you'll be able to establish you're groove. I have a robot, so that helps a lot. My routine once ready fills drop:
1. Run all labels that are in the robot.
2. While the robot is doing its thing, clear qt. remember, some insurances are down until 1am (est).
2. Run all labels on a separate printer for quick pull drugs. Anything I can just slap a label on or pour in a bottle. Bam. Done. Shrinks your qp quick.
3. Then move on to the rest. I run alphabetically. Saves time or else you're bouncing between bays.
4. Hunker down and clear the qv.

DaftRx,

I really appreciate your helpful response. The items I listed were a collection of recommendations I gathered after reading several threads. I just wrote what they said. I did not filter or modify anything. Thus, thank you for clarifying the items did not quite make sense and your take on them.

This first week I am actually doing my 7 on at a store that is not my home store. They're doing this in order to transition me to my home store. I think I may just go in the night before I introduce myself to the overnight pharmacist and ask him about the routine there.

I'll ask the PIC about #10. You also need to run a 6 day cash loss report. My sup told everyone to rts all first fills and high dollar scripts. Review with your partner/pic how they want it done.

On #12. It's great that your district is able to tell people controlled substances are fillable at 8am on the date that they are due. I don't think that would ever fly here. I guess I will be telling a lot of people I need to have the morning staff call their doctor for clarification.

On #14. I am new and don't really know who the careful or sloppy pharmacists are. So I guess I will just say no to price matching it. I suppose I will get a better feel of things once I start.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the 24 hour stores has a robot. So I guess it will truly be a one man show.

Now, question for you, must 2nd shift clear QT, QP and QV before overnight pharmacist starts? Or do you walk into pages and pages of QT, QP and QV?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your honest input. Feel free to share any other pointers you might have.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
I would recommend against giving immunizations when you're alone. If you do, at least have the supervisor come hang out nearby so they can call 911 if you need to give CPR or deal with fainting or whatever

Zelman!

Thank you for your response. That makes sense. I will ask the overnight pharmacist how he handles that.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Also majority of patients at night seem to have medicaid even at the suburb stores. You will have medicaid patients come in the middle of the night from the ER with a script for zyrtec because they have bad allergies. You can try to tell them it's available over the counter but they will want it for free via medicaid.
You will be shocked how many people tell you they don't have a working phone so try not to rely on texts and calls.

Also keep an eye on the written date for ER scripts.

Maria10h,

thank you for your response. I am adding this to the list.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOL'ed at "6-9 months max." I know a guy who was just gonna do overnight for a year as a new grad and he is still stuck doing overnights after two years. Depends on the market I suppose.

I can't believe your pharmacy manager would actually make you do cash loss reports for NSPU. Even RTS day 14. Even the load. Who does cycle counts at night? If the day people left no mess and allocate some tech hours to overnight, then maybe you could do all that.

And I would never fill stuff already filled at another CVS. One, you don't know if the data entry is ****ed up on the original. Two, tough ****. You had all day to go get it at the other non-24 hour CVS, which is open at least until 8 PM unless it's some slow 10-hour store.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest making a list of everything you are expected to do every night. It is shockingly easy to get distracted and forget something; I keep a pocket list of what I want to get done every night and just check it off as I go. Ask your partner what he or she does if you don't know.

1. Terrible advice. I can't stress enough how bad this advice is. Except for the occasional rush the wait time really shouldn't be more than 10 minutes. Ask the overnight supervisor if you can call him/her to help with checkout if you get busy. Some can/will, others not so much.

2. I guess this is good advice, although I can't recall a time I have ever called anyone. I just page them overhead when it is ready. If they want to leave and come back I just tell them when it will be ready. The idea about enrolling everyone in texting is a good one except that there is no reason to have such a confrontational attitude about it. I also am not sure the details about how texting works overnight - does it have to be a waiter for them to get a text? Do they even get texts overnight?

3. Yeah this is how I do it.

4. What are you going to do for 1.5 hours while they wait for their flu shot? How obnoxious can you be? Either do it or don't do it (not doing it is against policy of course), but don't be a dick about it.

5. I do agree with giving the phones the lowest priority when you have people at the counter. If someone wants to know where something is, just tell them, why make them wait? Weird.

6. I never thought of that, but I do put a sign in the drive through window when I am in the break-room so they know there is no hope that I will see or help them. Most bathroom breaks are short enough that I don't see a need for any kind of sign.

7. 8. Aren't these the same things? Anyway, yes I agree with this.

9. You can have the system reboot anytime after midnight. I think the usual thing to do is have it reboot while you take your break.

10. I just do RTS based on the RTS report, but hey, whatever works for you.

11. Yup.

12. It is against policy (and ethics) to lie unless you feel your safety is in jeopardy. I just tell them professionally why I won't fill the script.

13. Hahahahahaha. Good one. Really, what do you think you are there for? Most of your time will be spent cleaning up the day shift and doing readyfill with a small amount of time for new scripts and early controls.

14. It is impossible to know if a script was picked up at another CVS. You can tell if it was filled or put on hold though.

15. I just tell people I can't fill it until the other CVS puts it back. I am surprised by how many pharmacist apparently are willing to do this.

16. I can't recall the last time I compounded something.

17. This should be on your list of things to do.

18. This depends on the store but yeah I would say to expect to put at least some truck away.

19. Yeah

Owlegrad!

thank you for your response. As I mentioned on my post, the list is a collection of items I gathered from reading many threads. I literally typed up everything they said and figured you experienced vets would tell me if the items made sense or not. If you could tell me other tricks/tips you have come up for yourself that have made your life easier as an overnight pharmacist, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Apotheker2015

I LOL'ed at "6-9 months max." I know a guy who was just gonna do overnight for a year as a new grad and he is still stuck doing overnights after two years. Depends on the market I suppose.

I can't believe your pharmacy manager would actually make you do cash loss reports for NSPU. Even RTS day 14. Even the load. Who does cycle counts at night? If the day people left no mess and allocate some tech hours to overnight, then maybe you could do all that.

And I would never fill stuff already filled at another CVS. One, you don't know if the data entry is ****ed up on the original. Two, tough ****. You had all day to go get it at the other non-24 hour CVS, which is open at least until 8 PM unless it's some slow 10-hour store.

Sine Cura,

thank you for your response. I said 6 to 9 months max because I have a couple of other things baking in the oven which may take that long to crystallize. Like I said, I am a night owl and thrive working those hours. Thus, being there longer would not mean being *stuck* there for me. It's a job. Pays well and that's that. I am one of those who does not believe you have to LOVE your job. It's a job. Do it well and get paid. Done.

On the cash loss report, I will have to ask what they want me to do and thank you for bringing that up. I will also stay away from filling stuff that is sitting in the waiting bin elsewhere. I'll add those pointers to the list.

As I mentioned on my post, the list is a collection of items I gathered from reading many threads. I literally typed up everything they said and figured you experienced vets would tell me if the items made sense or not. If you could tell me other tricks/tips you have come up for yourself that have made your life easier as an overnight pharmacist, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Apotheker2015

I strongly recommend coming in to shadow your partner for an hour or two even if it means not being paid.
Several 24 hour stores have automation units like a script pro or kl-60 (kirby) so learn about how to refill those with labels, vials, drugs, returning RTS vials, etc.

Thank you, mariah10h. Will do!

Best,

Apotheker2015

Its a lot like prison. First night, you have to go in and smack down a person looking for their narcs at 12:01AM. Otherwise, the "new RPh" bat signal goes up and they all come running. Next thing you know, you got a line 10 deep of people, CII scripts in hand, wanting it at the stroke of midnight. Your graveyard RPh pimp hand must be strong.

LOL, will do! I remember you saying that in an older thread. I will add your pointers to my list. As I mentioned on my post, the list is a collection of items I gathered from reading many threads. I literally typed up everything they said and figured you experienced vets would tell me if the items made sense or not. If you could tell me other tricks/tips you have come up for yourself that have made your life easier as an overnight pharmacist, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Even the load.

Doing miscellaneous tasks like RTS and cycle counts IS evening the load. You SHOULD be doing little things to help the day shifters. Graveyard shift RPhs have it way, way better than the day shifters. It really isn't asking too much to do a few of the tasks that are hard to do when you have 5 people at the counter. Having said that, anytime you can get away with doing less, more power to you.

Owlegrad!

thank you for your response. As I mentioned on my post, the list is a collection of items I gathered from reading many threads. I literally typed up everything they said and figured you experienced vets would tell me if the items made sense or not. If you could tell me other tricks/tips you have come up for yourself that have made your life easier as an overnight pharmacist, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Apotheker2015

A lot of it comes with experience. Use condor code "/27410" to try and look up insurance, although I would guess it works perhaps 50% of the time. Don't be afraid to call your fellow overnight stores with any questions, they won't mind answering questions (and if they do, well, they are dicks). If no one told you, you can use "1-700-600-xxxx" to call or fax other stores without having to look up their phone number. Have a pocket sized notebook to take notes. Like I said above, have a checklist of all your daily tasks.

Personally I like to mix up how I fill so it doesn't get old. I do not prowl the QP for the low hanging fruit like some others suggest - I think it wastes time trying to find the easy ones to fill and anyway they are just as easy to fill when they come out in the order the computer decides as when I try to hunt and peck for them. Some nights I print everything all at once and just keep filling tech style then check everything at the end. This is my least favorite way to fill although it is probably the most efficient. Another benefit of doing it this way is the ability to group the labels alphabetically and minimize trips through the bays and backtracking through the pharmacy all night.

The way I like to fill is by printing small batches and checking them as I produce them. The counter stays wonderfully organized and I have a real sense of the queues getting smaller this way. QV doesn't back up this way and as QP shrinks I know it is because the scripts are actually getting done. I also suspect it is the safest way to fill scripts and is the way I would recommend any new pharmacist work. I always clear QT before starting on QP.

I would say the best training to become an overnight pharmacist would be two-fold. One, you should have to work as a day shifter first to see the difference in stress level and workload. Then you should have to pick up a day shift every once in a while to remain grateful for how much better you have it ;) Two, you should probably have been well-trained in teching - you are a one man show for most of your shift and being able to do "tech work" quickly and efficiently is critical. This will come with time so don't sweat it.

Oh, and someone above said if you tell people you have to call the doctor that 99% of the time they will take the script back. I agree with that wholeheartedly. Pretty much anytime I don't want to fill something I just let the patient know I have a concern with the prescription, usually safety related, and let them know I have to contact the doctor prior to dispensing. I cannot think of even a single time that the script has been left with me on an overnight shift.

Doing miscellaneous tasks like RTS and cycle counts IS evening the load. You SHOULD be doing little things to help the day shifters. Graveyard shift RPhs have it way, way better than the day shifters. It really isn't asking too much to do a few of the tasks that are hard to do when you have 5 people at the counter. Having said that, anytime you can get away with doing less, more power to you.

A lot of it comes with experience. Use condor code "/27410" to try and look up insurance, although I would guess it works perhaps 50% of the time. Don't be afraid to call your fellow overnight stores with any questions, they won't mind answering questions (and if they do, well, they are dicks). If no one told you, you can use "1-700-600-xxxx" to call or fax other stores without having to look up their phone number. Have a pocket sized notebook to take notes. Like I said above, have a checklist of all your daily tasks.

Personally I like to mix up how I fill so it doesn't get old. I do not prowl the QP for the low hanging fruit like some others suggest - I think it wastes time trying to find the easy ones to fill and anyway they are just as easy to fill when they come out in the order the computer decides as when I try to hunt and peck for them. Some nights I print everything all at once and just keep filling tech style then check everything at the end. This is my least favorite way to fill although it is probably the most efficient. Another benefit of doing it this way is the ability to group the labels alphabetically and minimize trips through the bays and backtracking through the pharmacy all night.

The way I like to fill is by printing small batches and checking them as I produce them. The counter stays wonderfully organized and I have a real sense of the queues getting smaller this way. QV doesn't back up this way and as QP shrinks I know it is because the scripts are actually getting done. I also suspect it is the safest way to fill scripts and is the way I would recommend any new pharmacist work. I always clear QT before starting on QP.

I would say the best training to become an overnight pharmacist would be two-fold. One, you should have to work as a day shifter first to see the difference in stress level and workload. Then you should have to pick up a day shift every once in a while to remain grateful for how much better you have it ;) Two, you should probably have been well-trained in teching - you are a one man show for most of your shift and being able to do "tech work" quickly and efficiently is critical. This will come with time so don't sweat it.

Oh, and someone above said if you tell people you have to call the doctor that 99% of the time they will take the script back. I agree with that wholeheartedly. Pretty much anytime I don't want to fill something I just let the patient know I have a concern with the prescription, usually safety related, and let them know I have to contact the doctor prior to dispensing. I cannot think of even a single time that the script has been left with me on an overnight shift.

Owlegrad!

I really appreciate your advice. I am taking notes of everything you've said. I will just follow your lead on hitting QT, then QP and obviously, QV last. I am not brand new to the company. It's been about 9 months. I had to be away for several APPE rotations as our school just sends us anywhere they feel like it. Thus, I worked as an intern when I could and was in town. I would say I am familiar with most daytime/evening duties. Resolving TPR can sometimes throw me in for a loop but I try my best to keep learning. The store where I have been up until now is not a 24 hour store. It's mid-volume I would say.

Lucky for me, I did find out today that the store where I will be permanently does have automation. I have not worked with CVS automation in the past but I have worked at two other companies with automation. I am a huge fan of automation. That will make my life a lot easier. That's all, of course, if the robot always works. So I am thinking of just doing everything that comes out of the robot first and get that out of the way and hit the odd balls at the end. Thoughts on that?

Thanks again. How long have you been working the overnight shift for CVS? I am asking because I am interested in hearing what you'd have to say about the following:
I was originally offered a staff pharmacist position at the standard pay calculated based on 40 hours per week, basically 60/hour. So now, I volunteered for the overnight shift. There was really no formal anything. I discussed it with my Rx supervisor and I took the position for $66/hour for all hours of my shift. That's all good and dandy. I guess I don't know any better. Then thing is that my 7 days on only average 70 hours per pay period. That's unique to my home store, though. There is another store in a different district where you get 12 hour shifts for all 7 days for a total of 84 hours.

I guess I am asking if I should bring up the fact that my original offer was for 40 hours per week. Is 66/hour for all hours of the shift fair or am I being ripped off? Or should I just let it go and pick up shifts here and there?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Apotheker2015

So I am thinking of just doing everything that comes out of the robot first and get that out of the way and hit the odd balls at the end. Thoughts on that?

I guess I am asking if I should bring up the fact that my original offer was for 40 hours per week. Is 66/hour for all hours of the shift fair or am I being ripped off? Or should I just let it go and pick up shifts here and there?

I have never worked with a robot so I have no advice at all about that.

I guess maybe 9 months or so now.

I personally would love to work 70 hours per pay period and with a robot. Can we trade stores please?

I personally would love to work 70 hours per pay period and with a robot. Can we trade stores please?

LOL, let me think for a minute... um... nope. Now that you put it that way. I think 70 hours is just enough hours and then I get the option of picking up shifts. For the most part, I am planning on learning the ins and outs of day trading during my 7 days off.

How do you like your shift? Can you give me a rough breakdown of what happens through your shift on a typical night? I'd appreciate that. You mentioned you have a list of tasks. Would you care to share that, please?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Is 66/hour fair for all hours of the shift?

LOL, let me think for a minute... um... nope. Now that you put it that way. I think 70 hours is just enough hours and then I get the option of picking up shifts. For the most part, I am planning on learning the ins and outs of day trading during my 7 days off.

How do you like your shift? Can you give me a rough breakdown of what happens through your shift on a typical night? I'd appreciate that. You mentioned you have a list of tasks. Would you care to share that, please?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Yeah, you can ALWAYS pick up extra shifts, no problem, depending on how far you are willing to travel.

I love my shift. I don't love the sleep schedule but otherwise I love it. Typical breakdown for me is to arrive a little before 8PM. Usually there is about 2 pages of work spread out across the various queues. I have one tech until 9 or 10 pm except on the weekend when I have no tech.

I will list my tasks but they will not be the same as yours since each store is unique. You should really be asking your partner. My first task is to clear all the queues and make sure there are no time bombs like untyped scripts laying around. Then I do cycle counts, then I bundle and file scripts, then I restock supplies and clean the pharmacy, take out the blue/green/clear bags, and delete the QR requests that are due the next day (my PIC asked me to do that last one). I am sure I do other things too but I can't think of them. I almost always have all that done by midnight; after midnight I just focus on readyfill and the daily paperwork that seems to be printing later and later. Also I do the RTS once that report prints. I do not do that day 6 thing described by someone above.

There are also tasks that are not daily that have to get done routinely; OOS scans, outdates, sts redeploy, waiting bin, etc.

I do take at least a half hour meal daily. Of course I will interrupt my break to help someone then I go back to it. Most days I probably end up taking closer to an hour.

Is 66/hour fair for all hours of the shift?

Considering that it is more than I make after years with the company, I would say probably, yes. It is so highly regional though that I can't really answer.

Nope, go to hospital you'll get $12-13 night shift differential. Retail never gives you that much... $4-6 crappy differential... 66 at 70h or 60 at 80h, that's $8k difference every year. Personally, I want full 80h at 66/h if I were you.

Yeah, you can ALWAYS pick up extra shifts, no problem, depending on how far you are willing to travel.

I love my shift. I don't love the sleep schedule but otherwise I love it. Typical breakdown for me is to arrive a little before 8PM. Usually there is about 2 pages of work spread out across the various queues. I have one tech until 9 or 10 pm except on the weekend when I have no tech.

I will list my tasks but they will not be the same as yours since each store is unique. You should really be asking your partner. My first task is to clear all the queues and make sure there are no time bombs like untyped scripts laying around. Then I do cycle counts, then I bundle and file scripts, then I restock supplies and clean the pharmacy, take out the blue/green/clear bags, and delete the QR requests that are due the next day (my PIC asked me to do that last one). I am sure I do other things too but I can't think of them. I almost always have all that done by midnight; after midnight I just focus on readyfill and the daily paperwork that seems to be printing later and later. Also I do the RTS once that report prints. I do not do that day 6 thing described by someone above.

There are also tasks that are not daily that have to get done routinely; OOS scans, outdates, sts redeploy, waiting bin, etc.

I do take at least a half hour meal daily. Of course I will interrupt my break to help someone then I go back to it. Most days I probably end up taking closer to an hour.

Considering that it is more than I make after years with the company, I would say probably, yes. It is so highly regional though that I can't really answer.

Thanks, man! Like you said, I should and will ask my partner. I just want to make sure I know to ask the right questions. What if he thinks I already know about x,y or z because I didn't ask about it and he assumed I had that down? This is very helpful.

Pay is very regional. You are right on that. My offer to work daytime was 124,800 based on 40 hours. That comes down to $60/hour. Every grad intern got the same letter. So I did not even attempt to negotiate that. There is a high degree of variation. I will just be very good with the money I get. It's often times more about what you save.

Thanks again!

Best,

Apotheker2015

Thanks, man! Like you said, I should and will ask my partner. I just want to make sure I know to ask the right questions. What if he thinks I already know about x,y or z because I didn't ask about it and he assumed I had that down? This is very helpful.

Pay is very regional. You are right on that. My offer to work daytime was 124,800 based on 40 hours. That comes down to $60/hour. Every grad intern got the same letter. So I did not even attempt to negotiate that. There is a high degree of variation. I will just be very good with the money I get. It's often times more about what you save.

Thanks again!

Best,

Apotheker2015

What region? The offer for my class was 52.50/hour two years ago, a pretty substantial difference.

If I'm in a store with little overnight patient interaction, I run the end of day as soon as I've printed all the labels. Then it's done when I finish folding everything and some pulling meds (folding takes me longer than most because I actually include med guides and translated monographs).
You sure can. Try the "V" function from a profile.

Nope, go to hospital you'll get $12-13 night shift differential. Retail never gives you that much... $4-6 crappy differential... 66 at 70h or 60 at 80h, that's $8k difference every year. Personally, I want full 80h at 66/h if I were you.

Momus!

Thanks for your input. I guess the differential for hospital pharmacists must vary by region, as well. A friend of mine is an overnight pharmacist at a major hospital in south florida and he gets an $8 dollar differential between 12:00am and 6:00 am. I have to say that I am really not into hospital pharmacy. The egos and the nonsense are just not for me. However, I am into the automation behind hospital pharmacy. I do have a plan to try to eventually bridge to that side of the game. But other than that, hospital pharmacy is not for me. I do appreciate the candid advice! Thanks!

Best,

Apotheker2015

If I'm in a store with little overnight patient interaction, I run the end of day as soon as I've printed all the labels. Then it's done when I finish folding everything and some pulling meds (folding takes me longer than most because I actually include med guides and translated monographs).
You sure can. Try the "V" function from a profile.

Zelman,

you are about to find out what a rookie I really am. What do you mean by "I run the end of day as soon as I've printed all the labels."?

Thanks!

Apotheker2015

What region? The offer for my class was 52.50/hour two years ago, a pretty substantial difference.

I had the same offer in 2013 and am up to ~64.50 / hour now.

I had the same offer in 2013 and am up to ~64.50 / hour now.

Hey FramD711,

thanks for sharing! One of the reasons I jumped on the overnight shift opportunity was the money and the flexibility to make even more money. I don't do well with short shifts. Some people love them. Give me a 14 hour day and I am happy. However, in my area there are a lot of people wanting to split shifts. I also figured that it would take me years to go from $60/hour to $66/hour. I figured why not? I also like the idea of 7 days off. When I get one or two days off it feels like all I do is clean around my place, go to Costco and do laundry. Done... and then it's time to get back to work. There is a major airport here. So I figured I will take advantage of last minute travel deals once I build a nice cushion.

Anyway thanks for sharing!

Best,

Apotheker2015

Zelman,

you are about to find out what a rookie I really am. What do you mean by "I run the end of day as soon as I've printed all the labels."?

Thanks!

Apotheker2015
Someone else can post the exact command, but the end of day report/backup runs at 3am automatically or you can start it yourself anytime after midnight.

My base is 59.50 and then whatever the differential is for overnight.

Owlegrad,

I know that daytime pharmacists get what they call "premium pay" in my area, an extra $5 dollars/hour for working over 44 hours in one week. How does it work for overnight pharmacists? For my first week, I will happen to be working 60 hours straight that will go on this pay period and the other 24 hours will go on the next pay period. Is it customary to get premium pay after 44 hours while working overnights?

Thanks!

Apotheker2015

When I worked overnight at CVS, after the readyfill populates the queue, I just print out all the labels (so it gets sent to the robot), then I fill everything. I get everything ready at production, then verify everything at the same time while I have a yogurt or something.

For walk ins, I never put anything in as waiters, I may certainly tell them that it will be 15-20 minutes (if it's feasible), but I don't put it in as a waiter. Just in case that it's delayed for whatever reason I don't want it counting against my metrics.

For RTS, I would run the report before the computer reboots, then pull it from the shelves during that time.

I had the scriptpro at my store, and it was annoying to refill and do returns. I usually just spend half an hour at most on each side doing only the items that are below par level.

Narc inventory is also time consuming, but it needs to be done.

Last edited:
When I worked overnight at CVS, after the readyfill populates the queue, I just print out all the labels (so it gets sent to the robot), then I fill everything. I get everything ready at production, then verify everything at the same time while I have a yogurt or something.

For walk ins, I never put anything in as waiters, I may certainly tell them that it will be 15-20 minutes (if it's feasible), but I don't put it in as a waiter. Just in case that it's delayed for whatever reason, I don't want it counting against my metrics.

For RTS, I would run the report before the computer reboots, then pull it from the shelves during that time.

I had the scriptpro at my store, and it was annoying to refill and return to it. I usually just spend half an hour at most on each side doing only the items that are below par level.

Naseuy,

duly noted! Thanks for your input. I suppose I can just keep track of who is a waiter and who isn't, of course. I am sure that there are always delays or long demands when it is a one man show.

Thanks! Anything else you can think of?

Best,

Apotheker2015

Naseuy,

duly noted! Thanks for your input. I suppose I can just keep track of who is a waiter and who isn't, of course. I am sure that there are always delays or long demands when it is a one man show.

Thanks! Anything else you can think of?

Best,

Apotheker2015
Put the waiters in a red basket.

Kind of a minor thing, but be sure you find out where the labels for Scriptpro are kept. The first time mine went empty I was still pretty new to the position. Had to practically demolish the back room to find them. Also, have someone show you real quick how to route the labels through.

There are cardboard cylinders that go with it. Find out where those are too. Usually kept in the upper cabinet of the Scriptpro. They're put in to spool up the paper after the label is attached to the bottle.

Also, since we're in offline right now, I'll mention one thing. You are unable to fill any controls during downtime. You will get a reject saying the md isn't a valid prescriber or something along those lines. It's nonsense, but our link that verifies the doctor's info is down so our system won't allow you to fill it. No way to override. Be ready to tell the patient the next closest competitor they can get it at. Scheduled downtime affects all stores.

Kind of a minor thing, but be sure you find out where the labels for Scriptpro are kept. The first time mine went empty I was still pretty new to the position. Had to practically demolish the back room to find them. Also, have someone show you real quick how to route the labels through.

There are cardboard cylinders that go with it. Find out where those are too. Usually kept in the upper cabinet of the Scriptpro. They're put in to spool up the paper after the label is attached to the bottle.

Also, since we're in offline right now, I'll mention one thing. You are unable to fill any controls during downtime. You will get a reject saying the md isn't a valid prescriber or something along those lines. It's nonsense, but our link that verifies the doctor's info is down so our system won't allow you to fill it. No way to override. Be ready to tell the patient the next closest competitor they can get it at. Scheduled downtime affects all stores.

DaftRx!

Thank you for telling me that. There is no way I would've ever figured out where the labels for the Scriptpro are kept. I have yet to see a Scriptpro. Needless to say I don't even know what the cardboard cylinders that go with it look like. I am adding these to my list.

See... none of this has been explained to me. I suppose I may sound naive by saying this. I am not new to the corporate world outside of pharmacy. I am, however, rather green to pharmacy. I guess I can't see how a company that tells you every day that their mission is to bring patients on their path to better health, can simply send someone out there to the wolves without knowing anything about the overnight shift to simply wing it. I am still to hear from my Rx supervisor. I am at this point gaining a bit more confidence thanks to everyone in this thread who took the time to chip in GREAT ADVICE.

If you think of anything else, please, as minor as you think it might be... believe, I probably won't even know what it is but it would be nice to know because then i can ask the overnight pharmacist tomorrow when I stop by to introduce myself.

Thanks again!

Apotheker2015

Hopefully this post reaches everyone who so kindly took the time to help out a rookie. I am assuming you all might have gone through a huge shock during your first overnight shift. You showed up there without really getting any prior training on the routine. You know, I posted here thinking maybe my post would not be read by anyone or that people would not respond. I would bring each one of your Starbucks for your shift if I could. This is awesome. It is nice to see that you were all willing to share your experience and how you have thriven in this shift.

I really appreciate it ladies and gents. Should you think of anything else, as minor as you might think it is, chances are I would not even know. I will be sure to let you all know on Tuesday how my first night went.

Best,

Apotheker2015

I was working overnight couple times to help.

Before start working, don't forget to learn how to manage ScriptPro such as..
- how to load meds
- how to change ScriptPro label when it runs out (I almost paniced when it happened on my first night. No one to ask. Didn't know where all new labels are..)
- how to load vials

Night time Rphs are expected to finish
- 14 day RTS
- finish all QP ( or at least less than one page - but it depends.)
- load ScriptPro meds & vials

I used to finish all QP by 3am and do QA till end of my shift.

Medicare system is down from midnight to around 2am. (In CA). So if medical pts come, ask if they want to come back after 3am or pay out of pocket now and come back later for refund. (In this case, don't forget to tell pt that you don't know if it will go thru or not)

Every Saturday midnight, most of insurance system are down. It take couple hours and you know just by keeping trying.

ScriptPro is rebooting every night around 2-3am (don't remember exactly. Sorry). Make sure you know the id and password to relogin after rebooting.

& if your store has contract with hospice (some 24 hr cvs does), you might get c2 rx call in every night(3-7 days supply).
Ask other pharmacists where the related fax form to dr are and how to bill.

Good luck. And make sure that your dm finds your coverage after couple months. I saw 3 night time rph who stuck there for couple years because dm could not (or did not) find overnight rph to cover.

P.s. I just realized that someone already wrote about ScriptPro label. Ooooops.

Last edited:
I was working overnight couple times to help.

Before start working, don't forget to learn how to manage ScriptPro such as..
- how to load meds
- how to change ScriptPro label when it runs out (I almost paniced when it happened on my first night. No one to ask. Didn't know where all new labels are..)
- how to load vials

Night time Rphs are expected to finish
- 14 day RTS
- finish all QP ( or at least less than one page - but it depends.)
- load ScriptPro meds & vials

I used to finish all QP by 3am and do QA till end of my shift.

Medicare system is down from midnight to around 2am. (In CA). So if medical pts come, ask if they want to come back after 3am or pay out of pocket now and come back later for refund. (In this case, don't forget to tell pt that you don't know if it will go thru or not)

Every Saturday midnight, most of insurance system are down. It take couple hours and you know just by keeping trying.

ScriptPro is rebooting every night around 2-3am (don't remember exactly. Sorry). Make sure you know the id and password to relogin after rebooting.

& if your store has contract with hospice (some 24 hr cvs does), you might get c2 rx call in every night(3-7 days supply).
Ask other pharmacists where the related fax form to dr are and how to bill.

Good luck. And make sure that your dm finds your coverage after couple months. I saw 3 night time rph who stuck there for couple years because dm could not (or did not) find overnight rph to cover.

P.s. I just realized that someone already wrote about ScriptPro label. Ooooops.

Ineeddrug!

I can't thank you enough! I suppose I really need to get the ID and password to login again into ScriptPro after rebooting. I would have never known to ask that. Nor do I think there will be a task list waiting for me for my first shift.

I will ask about the C-IIs for hospice. I guess it is possible. No one has mentioned anything so far.

Thanks for looking out for me. I was actually offered a daytime position to begin with but the daytime hours and split shifts really are not for me. As an intern, I would always give away any short shifts. I chose the overnight shift. It's not like I was forced into it. I am glad that I caught that the daytime position they were planning on sending me would never have worked. I saw the schedule I saw that the PIC had his/her partner coming in for short shifts for 6 days a week. That would have never have worked for me. And if I get sick of it, I will just go elsewhere. There are plenty of jobs to go around.

I don't see myself asking to switch to daytime anytime soon. I was just planning to do a french immersion in Monte Carlo with a friend of mine if we get our 7 days off to line up. Believe me. 7 days off means quality of life for me. Thanks again for giving me the heads up but I think I will be just fine working my vampire hours, getting to the gym to get back in shape and taking trips here and there. My goals are not lofty. Time off does mean everything to me. My family does not live in this state. I am about to be an uncle for the first time and my father lives overseas so I can use the 7 days off. It's what's best for me right now.

I am adding your pointers to my list, Sir. THANK YOU!!! And if you think of anything else as minor as you might think it is, please share, chances are I have no clue about it.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Expect to get several calls, emails, and texts from the supervisor and scheduler asking you to pick up shifts on your week off. Even supervisors from neighboring districts will be asking you to work on your week off to cover shifts in their district. This might not happen to you but it does to several 7on7off employees I know at cvs.

Also it's good to know how to add/delete meds out of the automation unit,(script pro) and rx connect system because the NDCs on fast movers change and they might expect you to be the one to update the automation unit. Script pro has a 24/7 tech support line for you to call and you can call another 24/7 store for help managing the rx connect system when updating what meds are in automation. The kl-60 does not have a 24/7 tech standing by but they do page a tech who typically takes 1 hour to call back in the middle of the night.
At some stores the day shift rph/techs takes care of the automation unit (update NDCs, restock vials, etc.$ but at some it's the night rph who does all the work on it.

You actually can know whether a script was picked up at another CVS or not.
Ineeddrug!

I

I will ask about the C-IIs for hospice. I guess it is possible. No one has mentioned anything so far.

Apotheker2015

Be sure the MDs at that hospice mail you the original RX. The hospice contracted with the store I took over didn't send over the original RX so I refused to fill anymore C2s from them. So be very diligent.

For walk ins, I never put anything in as waiters, I may certainly tell them that it will be 15-20 minutes (if it's feasible), but I don't put it in as a waiter. Just in case that it's delayed for whatever reason I don't want it counting against my metrics.

Oh yeah, the narc inventory, I knew I was forgetting stuff!

I never really understood the concept of not putting stuff in as waiters. So you prevent a waiter going red, but if you don't put anything in as a waiter you aren't getting any credit in the metrics for doing waiters. I would much rather have a 95% ready when promised for waiters than not show any waiters at all.

Oh yeah, the narc inventory, I knew I was forgetting stuff!

I never really understood the concept of not putting stuff in as waiters. So you prevent a waiter going red, but if you don't put anything in as a waiter you aren't getting any credit in the metrics for doing waiters. I would much rather have a 95% ready when promised for waiters than not show any waiters at all.

Owlegrad,

Yes, I believe they told me that 24 hour stores leave the narc inventory for the overnight pharmacist which is doable. That should not be too bad. Good point on the waiters. I will just put them in as waiters and get them done. That makes sense.

Thanks!

Apotheker2015

You actually can know whether a script was picked up at another CVS or not.

Be sure the MDs at that hospice mail you the original RX. The hospice contracted with the store I took over didn't send over the original RX so I refused to fill anymore C2s from them. So be very diligent.

Awesome! That's serious stuff. I will keep that in mind.
Thanks!

Apotheker2015

Expect to get several calls, emails, and texts from the supervisor and scheduler asking you to pick up shifts on your week off. Even supervisors from neighboring districts will be asking you to work on your week off to cover shifts in their district. This might not happen to you but it does to several 7on7off employees I know at cvs.

Also it's good to know how to add/delete meds out of the automation unit,(script pro) and rx connect system because the NDCs on fast movers change and they might expect you to be the one to update the automation unit. Script pro has a 24/7 tech support line for you to call and you can call another 24/7 store for help managing the rx connect system when updating what meds are in automation. The kl-60 does not have a 24/7 tech standing by but they do page a tech who typically takes 1 hour to call back in the middle of the night.
At some stores the day shift rph/techs takes care of the automation unit (update NDCs, restock vials, etc.$ but at some it's the night rph who does all the work on it.

Hi Maria10h,

thanks for the heads up! I did ask the scheduler to please keep me in the loop about evening/overnight shifts that may be open. After my first 7on week I will have 9 days off. What am I going to do with all that time? I will probably work 4 additional shifts and rake in some extra cash.
Awesome, tips on the automation unit. You sound like a pro at it. I will add that to my list and will keep those numbers handy. These are all great questions to know to ask.
Can't thank you enough!

Apotheker2015