Advice for moving to a different state after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buzz1012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for advice from those who have experience in moving elsewhere in the country after DPT program graduation. Currently in school in IL, but wife and I are considering Texas, Utah, Kentucky, or Tennessee. Any input on:

-how difficult it is to find a job in a different state
-procedure as far as taking the NPTE and getting the other state's license
-suggestions on timeline of when to start looking or contacting employers in desired state before graduation

The states I mentioned are just ideas, but we're pretty much open to any state.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
-how difficult it is to find a job in a different state

Not hard at all. There are so many recruiters and staffing agencies that I've lost count. That state where you take the test is irrelevant. You will take the test through the state that you want to work in.

procedure as far as taking the NPTE and getting the other state's license.

See above. Register for the NPTE through your desired state.

suggestions on timeline of when to start looking or contacting employers in desired state before graduation.

Don't talk to employers until you pass your NPTE. You can start working in as little as two weeks. There's work everywhere, especially if you're flexible with location. Forget saturated markets like Pittsburgh and Charlotte.

The states I mentioned are just ideas, but we're pretty much open to any state.

Again, you can find work in any state. Just be flexible. Take a great job in a lousy location than a terrible job in a great location. It's not worth the trade off.

Basically everything New Testament said, except I disagree that you shouldn't start looking until you're licensed. There are many employers that will hold a job for you until you get a temp license. It just depends on the location and how hard it is to fill positions. Some positions are so hard to fill that they don't care if it will be two months before you can start with a temp license and four months until you have a permanent one, because it would take them longer than that to find someone else anyway. If you're talking about more competitive job markets, though, that's different.