Advice for masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hygienist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So im being realistic here and having received no interviews so far, lost hope for this cycle. Im now applying to a masters program. I just want to know, is there a major that Dental Schools prefer? I cant move out of state and there is only one Oral Bio Masters offered in my state by UMDNJ. Ill apply to that but just in case i dont get into that, I have the option of Cell and Molecular Bio, Microbiology, Nutritional Sciences, Physiology and Integrative Bio, Medicinal Chem, and Microbial Bio. Which one do you think is a good option? Keep in mind im looking for something in which i can an awesome GPA!

Also, there are some online MS Bio programs as well. Are they looked down on because they are online?

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you doing non-thesis master program? In my school, if you are grad student, you can take pretty much every courses beside your own (including undergraduate) so having awesome GPA is really easy in grad level... and most of grad courses are really well/easily marked anyway.

The real question to ask is that, I think, what kind of projects/supervisors are out there in those options if you are doing thesis required master program.

And I don't think online master is too good and not sure if dental school has any preferred program.. I don't think there is though

How is your SGPA and BCP? If they are good (maybe 3.3 +) you could consider a public health masters. There are a few online ones. I liked the one I did through ATSU. If your science grades are low stick with a science based masters imo. You may want to consider the 9 month program at Western or Midwestern. I know you dont want to move, but they are pretty short.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you're lacking. If it's GPA, maybe even some post bac will help. If it was just DAT, then just retake the DAT and save some $. If you're lacking both, do post bac AND retake. If your GPA is like sub 3.0, then do postbac, then masters.

MPH doesn't really help with the science GPA because those classes aren't science classes normally. It needs to be listed as BIO or BIOSC or CHEM or NROSCI or PHYS to be factored into your science GPA.

Thanks for the reply! My DAT is 19AA, 20TS 19PAT. yea, not that great.
cGPA 3.1 and sGPA 2.9. So I see the problem, Im lacking in science GPA so I should probably do an MS in science. They offer both thesis (24 credit) and non-thesis (30 credit). im leaning towards non-thesis.
No post-bacc programs offered around my area. Yea, I absolutely cant move even if its short cuz I have kids.
Maybe ill take the DAT again once im done with the Masters. It is average after all.

How many years is the DAT good for?

Thanks for the reply! My DAT is 19AA, 20TS 19PAT. yea, not that great.
cGPA 3.1 and sGPA 2.9. So I see the problem, Im lacking in science GPA so I should probably do an MS in science. They offer both thesis (24 credit) and non-thesis (30 credit). im leaning towards non-thesis.
No post-bacc programs offered around my area. Yea, I absolutely cant move even if its short cuz I have kids.
Maybe ill take the DAT again once im done with the Masters. It is average after all.

How many years is the DAT good for?
I definitely think you're a good candidate for masters. Although what will help is the fact that you take a few more undergrad sci classes and bringing that 2.9 up to a 3.0. It makes the cut off for all schools, pretty much, and added with a 30 credit non-thesis masters with a 3.8+ GPA, I think you're solid. I'd recommend taking like 9 or 12 credits in the Spring, enroll in masters in the fall and finish next spring and apply. You'll be a really good candidate IMO.

I'd say physiology because I'd imagine the required courses would most closely align with your first 2 years of dental school.