Advice for friend who didn't match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does she have her CS score now? Many programs actually require CS in order to rank.
This is something that some people at my own school laughed off or ignored.

There is just absolutely 0 excuse for not having all of your Step scores in and ready by January. Zero excuse.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is something that some people at my own school laughed off or ignored. A number of them aren't laughing about this week though.

There is just absolutely 0 excuse for not having all of your Step scores in and ready by January. Zero excuse.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Not to pile on, but +1. It's interesting, it was just a few years ago when I was going through the USMLE process when an article came out in NEJM or JAMA destroying the USMLE CS test since the pass rate was ridiculously high for US MD seniors, around 98+% (for more specifics here it is: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1213760?af=R&rss=currentIssue#t=article ). I think this was an impetus to make the test actually worthwhile in assessing clinical interactions (not debating its positives or negatives here).

I didn't realize that the failure rate has been (at least sounds like) adjusted downwards - honestly it was very, very uncommon to hear of someone who failed CS in (US MD) medical school just a few years ago. That's why it is such a red flag - the old joke was that it indicated poor fluency in English, which could impact a resident's performance in clinical settings. Clearly the test has been beefed up but the old belief that it's a massive red flag will take time to correct - this article speaks to a 91% second-time pass rate, so honestly there is no reason to not have a pass well before rank lists are due. This should be a warning to future applicants.

There must be some serious step 1 inflation going on these days. Is 240 the new 230?
It's the pathoma / sketchy / Anki effect. The study tools today are so much better that all students can really study to the test.

Pathoma had the biggest effect. Scores jumped like 2.5 points in one year when it went on sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's the pathoma / sketchy / Anki effect. The study tools today are so much better that all students can really study to the test.

Pathoma had the biggest effect. Scores jumped like 2.5 points in one year when it went on sale.

Ive never been happier that I have no idea what those sources are.

Reactions: 4 users
When everyone has a leg up no one has a leg up.

Reactions: 5 users
Update. My friend matched, she got a categorical spot in pediatrics in a really good location for her and is incredibly happy. :) Thankfully this story seems to have had a happy conclusion.

Hope this thread can shine some light for future applicants though. Apply broadly and get CS done and out of the way before ranking.

Reactions: 16 users
Update. My friend matched, she got a categorical spot in pediatrics in a really good location for her and is incredibly happy. :) Thankfully this story seems to have had a happy conclusion.

Hope this thread can shine some light for future applicants though. Apply broadly and get CS done and out of the way before ranking.

And make sure the people you seek advice from (colleagues, mentors, school advisors, etc) are professional and know what the heck they're talking about...

Reactions: 2 users
I referred one of my friends who didn't match to this thread and this helped him a lot! Thanks a bunch y'all! And congrats to your friend zeppelinpage4!

Reactions: 1 user