Advice for DO schools? URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viasidd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm cameroonian american (african american) graduate and recieved a 3.36cpa and a 3.2 science gpa. So I already have stats on the lower side but I took my mcat and received a 498. Should I retake the MCAT to apply to DO schools? Or should I apply next cycle?

I have a lot of great extracurriculars, LORS, research, I'm also a medical assistant so I have volunteering experience, medical missions abroad, shadowed MD's (will be shadowing a DO soon), and research, so I'm pretty well rounded, but I'm just worried about the MCAT.

My family wants me to apply next cycle, however, I'm somewhat uncomfortable with my stats. Any advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Study hard and retake the MCAT. Visit r/MCAT on reddit a the MCAT sub forum on SDN for tips and study schedules. Score well and apply MD and DO. Apply only when you're ready and have the best application possible. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I retook my mcat and had a lower than average score the first time around. I was able to raise it significantly by approaching it differently than I did before. I would advise using different study methods for your next time around. I believe you can do it too!

Last edited: