Advice for COMLEX III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just registered for COMLEX III next month. I am a general surgery intern, and have had the majority of my non-surgical rotations. I just bought crush step 3 and the NMS q book. Anyone have any advice for studying (length of time, books, important topics, etc) What about the new computer format and how many questions do you need to pass?

Members don't see this ad.

I just took the exam this past monday. Not as much OB/GYN and PEDS as I suspected. Now, from what I understand, because the test is now computerized, it is random, so my test may be nothing like yours but I can at least tell you what mine focused on

1) Most peds were infants less than 2 years of age. And of course the little kids that refuse to $hit for their parents and you need to know why.
2) Lots of headache stuff, especially emergency situations
3) old farts where is what you did primary, secondary, or tertiary prevention?
4) My OMT questions all seemed to be thoracic sympathetic levels and rib techniques, I swear to you, not one sacrum question one mine
5) A lot of trick questons that are very poorly asked, but that is typical of COMLEX
6) Lots of questions where you start reading the question and you know what the patient has and what to do to treat it, but none of your multiple choice options match up or make any damn sense. Things you could perhaps do, but not really the gold standard
7) A lot of pregnant teens on mine that didn't want anybody knowing they were pregnant

For the test I studied----

1) USMLE 3 recall. Great book and has everything you need to pass this test minus OMT, just takes time to learn everything in it in detail
2) Savarese for OMT. Seemed to be all I needed to pass my test if only I actually learned the rib raising techniques
3) I watched some family practice board review DVD's and took notes. I also visited familypractice.com and took some of the sample FP board questions they made available to the general public. I am not an Fp, but these materials did provide me with a good fund of general medicine knowledge
4) Lastly, I studied some sample COMLEX exams made available my the NBOME.

As I am sure you know, no matter what you study, no matter how much you know, there is some questions you just won't get because they are poorly asked and/or vague

I wish I knew how the test was scored!! According to NBOME website, they take a linear transformation of your three digit score and somehow turn it into a two digit score. Your two digit score must be at least 75 to pass. I wish they'd explain this better instead of leaving it a mystery as to how you magically get some two digit number.

The computer test itself is nicer than pencil and paper, you have plenty of time to complete all sections of the test and brakes are appropriately placed. It just bothers me that with this new technology it now may take longer to get your scores than it did with the old "hamster on the wheel" pencil and paper exams. Don't know about you all but if I don't have a medical lisence by the end of my intern year, I get a good spanking from my program.

I just got done taking step III as well and I'm amazed that my test seems to be nothing like yours. Lots of OB/GYN, very little OMT, fair amount of peds and surprisingly a good deal of IM stuff. I agree with #5 and 6. It was a frustrating test for me and I just hope I passed. For what's it worth I studied Savarese, Crush, B&W, and NMS questions. I don't know what to reccomend since the test is so obscure in my opinion.

bustbones26 said:
I just took the exam this past monday. Not as much OB/GYN and PEDS as I suspected. Now, from what I understand, because the test is now computerized, it is random, so my test may be nothing like yours but I can at least tell you what mine focused on

1) Most peds were infants less than 2 years of age. And of course the little kids that refuse to $hit for their parents and you need to know why.
2) Lots of headache stuff, especially emergency situations
3) old farts where is what you did primary, secondary, or tertiary prevention?
4) My OMT questions all seemed to be thoracic sympathetic levels and rib techniques, I swear to you, not one sacrum question one mine
5) A lot of trick questons that are very poorly asked, but that is typical of COMLEX
6) Lots of questions where you start reading the question and you know what the patient has and what to do to treat it, but none of your multiple choice options match up or make any damn sense. Things you could perhaps do, but not really the gold standard
7) A lot of pregnant teens on mine that didn't want anybody knowing they were pregnant

For the test I studied----

1) USMLE 3 recall. Great book and has everything you need to pass this test minus OMT, just takes time to learn everything in it in detail
2) Savarese for OMT. Seemed to be all I needed to pass my test if only I actually learned the rib raising techniques
3) I watched some family practice board review DVD's and took notes. I also visited familypractice.com and took some of the sample FP board questions they made available to the general public. I am not an Fp, but these materials did provide me with a good fund of general medicine knowledge
4) Lastly, I studied some sample COMLEX exams made available my the NBOME.

As I am sure you know, no matter what you study, no matter how much you know, there is some questions you just won't get because they are poorly asked and/or vague

I wish I knew how the test was scored!! According to NBOME website, they take a linear transformation of your three digit score and somehow turn it into a two digit score. Your two digit score must be at least 75 to pass. I wish they'd explain this better instead of leaving it a mystery as to how you magically get some two digit number.

The computer test itself is nicer than pencil and paper, you have plenty of time to complete all sections of the test and brakes are appropriately placed. It just bothers me that with this new technology it now may take longer to get your scores than it did with the old "hamster on the wheel" pencil and paper exams. Don't know about you all but if I don't have a medical lisence by the end of my intern year, I get a good spanking from my program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I never took the USMLE so this will be my first time taking a computerized test, but I am one of those test takers that likes to skip questions I do not know and then come back to it later. Also I like to usually review the ones that I "think I know." Is there a way on the exam to skip Q's and come back along with going over the remaining ones again before submitting? Thanks

Bumping...

Trying to start my COMLEX studying as I am taking the exam in March. Any other opinions/thoughts?

DO_Surgeon said:
Thanks for the info. I never took the USMLE so this will be my first time taking a computerized test, but I am one of those test takers that likes to skip questions I do not know and then come back to it later. Also I like to usually review the ones that I "think I know." Is there a way on the exam to skip Q's and come back along with going over the remaining ones again before submitting? Thanks

Go to http://www.nbome.com and do the practice computerized test. It will show you how you have the option to skip a question and come back during your "review" of the block. Apparently, once you finish a block of 50 questions, you can't go back, but before you submit that block, you can skip around as much as you like and you can also mark ones that you have answered, but would like to review before you submit it at the end of 60 minutes.

My only advice would be that when you are actually taking the exam...and you have the option to "constructively" comment on a question (you have this option with each question)....DO IT.

There were so many questions that had xrays that didn't match the question...or questions that left you thinking "what are they wanting here?" I took the time to critique the questions I thought were poor ones. Being a former teacher, I guess I am able to look at the multiple choice questions and realize which ones are poorly written. Anyway, we all complain about the comlex...now, they are actually giving us a chance to give real-time feedback. I didn't write on every question, but I bet I commented on at least 15 or so that I thought were extremely bad.

Also, I had a lot of 'home-health' questions. (What will you send a guy home with to optimize his ambulation...?) I had a lot of sacral/innominate, but no cranial. I've heard all sorts of things. I took it the first week it was offered way back in september, so there's a lot I don't remember.

I'm just hoping I don't have to reschedule it...and pay for it myself this time!

I'm just glad they didn't use short story-sized questions like the USMLE, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get out of there so early. :)

One question went almost exactly like this: "elderly man comes into ER, is incontinent, appears ataxic, and demented...diagnosis?" and then I wonder why I spent so much time doing huge Q-book questions in the first place. So basically there's no change in the NBOME's use of questions with not enough information, poor "exhibits" or pictures (except the ekgs were pretty clear) and basically answers that never seem to go along with the question stem. :confused: My real problem was that other than their practice items, there's no good question book/bank to practice with because USMLE-style questions is no way near what you'll get. It actually ended up being only slightly more difficult than their practice items in case you were wondering..

Now that I've just taken it, I realize that reading Boards and Wards will definitely suffice for those who just can't seem to sit down and read anything larger than 9" x 5" that won't fit into a pocket. The subject matter itself was pretty even for me between IM, OB, Peds, but not that much OMM. But you'll easily finish 50 questions in an hour. The fellow intern I was taking it with just missed getting out before 2PM.

If you really feel that you're lacking in OB or Peds, then don't bother with Blueprints, but try Crush for those more important/high-yield subjects. Oh and if you know of a good review book about medicare/medicaid and how to get an old guy into a nursing home quick, do tell because its on the exam! ;)

acolyte28 said:
One question went almost exactly like this: "elderly man comes into ER, is incontinent, appears ataxic, and demented...diagnosis?"

I'm just a 2nd year but couldn't that be normal-tension hydrocephalus? "Wacky (dementia), Wobbly (ataxia), and Wet (incontinence).

Btw, I read Pathophysiology for B&W by Ayala while studying for class.

DOCTORSAIB said:
I'm just a 2nd year but couldn't that be normal-tension hydrocephalus? "Wacky (dementia), Wobbly (ataxia), and Wet (incontinence).

Btw, I read Pathophysiology for B&W by Ayala while studying for class.

yes it could be, but knowing the COMLEX, that won't be one of your answer choices . . .

I took it yesterday. WTF?!? I did make about 100 constructive comments. Seriosuly. There were so many flawed questions. Here's what I don't get: medical school (especially DO schools) emphasize the importance of taking a good solid history. Yet when we're tested we're expected to make management decisions based on a 2-sentence presentation of a patient. The answer I'm looking for in the multiple choice is usually "take a better history." The Q-Bank questions are excellent in this regard. I passed Level I and II first time around, but I don't know about this one (I felt like this after the other two though too). The test is so bad, I wouldn't even know how to prepare for it if I had to take it again. I left the testing center completely disorientated and...well...violated. It truly boggles the mind. Who the f--- writes these questions?!?

God, I hope I passed.

Reactions: 1 user
hey all, I am takiing the exam at the end of March. Just curious about the format of the exam. Is it all MC questions or are there computer simulated patient encounters like in USMLE step 3. Thanks for the help, cant seem to find this info on NBOME web site

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a logistics question for you guys - did you get an admission ticket before you took the exam? I'm taking it next week and I have yet to receive anything in the mail.

Took step 3 today. I actually didn't think it was all that bad (maybe that's because I'm in FP, I don't know). The exam seemed a lot like our FP in-service exam. I had a ton of ob/gyn and peds, a little bit of OMT, and not much medicine stuff. I liked that our breaks were optional - my ten minute breaks were only about three-minute bathroom breaks and I took only 10 minutes for lunch - so I got done reasonably early (got there around 10, got done at 4:30).

My only complaint was about the "exhibits," especially the X-rays. They were so zoomed-in you couldn't tell what body part you were looking at (i.e. what part of the abdomen). My comments for every "exhibit" were "another poor quality exhibit." :laugh:

Thank God it's over. Hopefully I passed! (I'm kind of nervous about thinking it wasn't that bad, because everytime I think that I do crappy.) I guess I'll find out in a few months.

Congrats on being done! You didn't get that ticket you were asking for did you?

Hope your year's going well.

DOtobe said:
Took step 3 today. I actually didn't think it was all that bad (maybe that's because I'm in FP, I don't know). The exam seemed a lot like our FP in-service exam. I had a ton of ob/gyn and peds, a little bit of OMT, and not much medicine stuff. I liked that our breaks were optional - my ten minute breaks were only about three-minute bathroom breaks and I took only 10 minutes for lunch - so I got done reasonably early (got there around 10, got done at 4:30).

My only complaint was about the "exhibits," especially the X-rays. They were so zoomed-in you couldn't tell what body part you were looking at (i.e. what part of the abdomen). My comments for every "exhibit" were "another poor quality exhibit." :laugh:

Thank God it's over. Hopefully I passed! (I'm kind of nervous about thinking it wasn't that bad, because everytime I think that I do crappy.) I guess I'll find out in a few months.

HEEEYYYYYY DOtobe!!!!!!

I just took my test on 3/13....thank god that is DONE!!! Just have to wait and wait and wait and wait for the results - typical as usual.

PM me when you get a chance and let me know how the heck you are....

Kathy

Wow! That was an UGLY test. I thought they might improve the quality of the test by putting it on computer--apparently that wasn't part of the plan.

Lots of OB management. About 32 OMT questions too.

I don't know how well I did, but I know this: I couldn't have done much more studying that would've helped me for some of the questions on that exam.

I know what tachyCARDIA is and I know what tachyPNEA is, but what the hell are TACKY MUCOUS MEMBRANES??? Weird, weird test.

If I didn't pass I'm screwed cuz I won't know what to change in terms of study material to improve my score.

Just took COMLEX step 3 today and man that was a pretty hard test.

First I am a Pathology resident so that does not help much in terms of Step 3.

Just free associating some of the questions.

OB and Peds like I expected and lots of back pain and nerve problems. Scoliosis and what types of braces or surgery to use and do. Car Accidents. PALS, ACLS, children choking on hot dogs, people choking on fish bones. One mix and match with Vitamins B1, B6, B12, and few others.
Guy bleeding from what I thought were varices (gives history of alcoholic) and chest x-ray looked like pneumothorax--I must have really messed that one up.
questions on concussions and when to return to play sports again.
Not much bread and butter family med with HTN, DM, and cholesterol.
Not too much OPP although the pack pain and nerve problems of the upper and lower extremity were common.
afib, aflutter, WPW, were what I thought the EKGs were.
Xrays had something that was either calcaneal fracture, or plantar fascitis. Guy has pain with walking but fine at rest so I thought ohh easy plantar fascitis but then I saw the X-ray and looked like a fracture. I suck at xrays.
when to screen for lead poisioning.
main lab value to follow diagnosis and treatment of IDA---ferritin was not a choice so I chose TIBC
I thought it was pretty hard overall. Not many that I flat out knew the answer to.
Just hoping I got enough to pass.

Just got done today and feel so violated. the asinine questions continue...if this is the best they can come up with, God help the osteopathic profession...kinda shameful to think that these absolutely worthless and pathetic questions are what determines our capability to be fully licensed physicians...

With that out of the way, I was wondering if the comments remained annonymous or are they identifiable. I mean I tried to be diplomatic, but when there is a washed out photograph of what could have been anal or vaginal warts (only I couldn't tell because of the nature of the image) and nothing else in the question to identify a possible diagnoisis, the "constructive" comments tend to become a little rude...

Another question...how long after the test do the results show up on the online system? Thanks in advance guys...

Lefty said:
Wow! That was an UGLY test. I thought they might improve the quality of the test by putting it on computer--apparently that wasn't part of the plan.

Lots of OB management. About 32 OMT questions too.

I don't know how well I did, but I know this: I couldn't have done much more studying that would've helped me for some of the questions on that exam.

I know what tachyCARDIA is and I know what tachyPNEA is, but what the hell are TACKY MUCOUS MEMBRANES??? Weird, weird test.

If I didn't pass I'm screwed cuz I won't know what to change in terms of study material to improve my score.

This is my current problem. I recently failed the test (found out earlier this week). I've never failed a board exam before, so I was pretty shocked. I'm a psych intern who's spent the majority of my year in psych and neuro, which is probably a contributing factor.

Anyway, my problem now is that I don't know WHAT to study. The test is so goofy...I don't know what to use. It didn't seem to test anything that you see in clinic or on the wards. Nothing on HTN, diabetes, COPD, HLD, etc. All the bread & butter medicine....not covered.

What makes this even more confusing is that the QBank and QBook questions I'm doing now (I retake in May) seem nothing like the COMLEX questions. I am desparate guys/gals...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How do you study for this f---ing thing?

DOtobe said:
Took step 3 today. I actually didn't think it was all that bad (maybe that's because I'm in FP, I don't know). The exam seemed a lot like our FP in-service exam.

I agree, and again, as a psych intern I've done ZERO Peds or OBGYN, so I am focusing more on those topics. In fact, besides QBank, my main study source this time around is the McGraw-Hill Family Practice board review book. I complained that COMLEX III seemed like a VERY POORLY written Family Medicine exam, so I'm preparing for it with that in mind.

It was definitely difficult and I think the fact we are psych/path residents makes it even more difficult. I focused on bread and butter medicine however you are right there was very little of that on there.
Crazy **** like kids getting beetles in there ear and having hearing and speech problems and drowning and choking.
Crazy ass picture of I dont know where in the body thinking it was Vaginal/anal warts?
Lots of scoliosis and what types of braces to use...are you kidding me?
back pain, nerve pain.
kid who is a "mouth breather", snores, cant stay awake during the day...sleep apnea or choanal atresia? think the answer was sleep apnea but why couldnt it be choanal atresia?
lots of emergency medicine questions like the ACLS, PALS, choking, cardioversion, drowning, unconscious, coma, posturing, neuro stuff. Much more of that than the bread and butter medicine.

DO_Surgeon said:
I just registered for COMLEX III next month. I am a general surgery intern, and have had the majority of my non-surgical rotations. I just bought crush step 3 and the NMS q book. Anyone have any advice for studying (length of time, books, important topics, etc) What about the new computer format and how many questions do you need to pass?

Ridiculous test - amount that you study is apparently irrelevant. The test has questions I would have never imagined. For example: Women placed on birth control pills now back in office at one month with complaint of breast tenderness. I narrowed it down to 1) continue with the pills or 2) discontinue caffeine? What is that? I would tell my patient both but these answers were far better than the other choices. GOOD LUCK

Teufelhunden said:
This is my current problem. I recently failed the test (found out earlier this week). I've never failed a board exam before, so I was pretty shocked. I'm a psych intern who's spent the majority of my year in psych and neuro, which is probably a contributing factor.

Anyway, my problem now is that I don't know WHAT to study. The test is so goofy...I don't know what to use. It didn't seem to test anything that you see in clinic or on the wards. Nothing on HTN, diabetes, COPD, HLD, etc. All the bread & butter medicine....not covered.

What makes this even more confusing is that the QBank and QBook questions I'm doing now (I retake in May) seem nothing like the COMLEX questions. I am desparate guys/gals...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How do you study for this f---ing thing?

I have no idea how to study for this exam. I covered Crush, QBank, Savarese, ACLS and skimmed B&W. I have taken time out of residency to get this nightmare over with and now this slap in the face - failing again this week? Is this a fixed test? Are you kidding me? I studied an enormous amount (if I told you the hours you wouldn't believe me). Failed? I don't get it. I am well prepared - better than in med school. Comlex Step 3 is a joke. I am retaking in May now too - since that's the soonest that I can take it. I would rather take it in April but it has a 90 day interval required. PLEASE HELP. THanks

I did very well on COMLEX Step 1 and good on COMLEX step 2. I thought COMLEX 3 was ridiculous but definitely passable. Right now I feel as if there is a 50-50 shot whether I pass or fail. I did not do an intern year and I am a pathology resident. The way I feel now is I am going to prepare to take it again in May.
I just used Crush Step 3 and Saverese. I thought Crush Step 3 is a very good outline but it is not enough on its own. I also did some QBank questions which I thought were in general easier than the COMLEX because they give you an entire history while the COMLEX seems to try to be vague. I think I am going to try and read some of the emedicine site on the topics I am weak in. I had a lot of emergency medicine on my exam, patients who were unconscious, back pain, nerve injury and problems, headaches. Even stupid **** like nerve innervation to pronator teres which I forgot long ago. That was more like a COMLEX Step 1 problem than Step 3. I am going to try and focus on the areas I am weak in and read more in depth. Thats my plan and hopefully I will not have to take this stupid ass test again.

I take the test in 3 weeks and it sounds like people's thoughts are about what I was thinking. I am in my second year of IM at a ACGME residency program. Everyone tells me not to study for step III because it is so IM heavy anyone in IM could pass. Wish that were the case for COMLEX. It sounds like they really push the peds and OB. I have nothing against the DO profression as a whole, but I have got so sick the of the administrative aspects miserable leadership, after this test I am looking forward to never having anything to do with them again.
(The worst I heard was from a practicing FP who told me about his FP boards about 10 years ago-as part of their boards everyone had to write 10 practice questions. They took a break after that. An hour or so later, they walked in with the rest of their tests. Yes, they photocopied everyone's questions and put it on the test. He said they didn't even get them all straight. I guess they have improved a little bit-not much)

Since I just found out I passed, I thought I'd add my 2 cents...

The exam is very similar in format to step two with a tad more emphasis on treatement. For COMLEX, my exam was more straight forward then previous levels. However, it still had some questions where I had no clue what they were asking and/or what the answer was.

I read through Boards and Wards once, and then did all the USMLEWorld Questions once. I did USMLEWorld in tutor mode, reading and trying to understand each answer. I spent about 30 minutes reviewing Saverese for OMM.

This exam had OMM questions, even some stuff I hadn't read in a couple of years. It's not overly heavy on the OMM, but it does have a few questions on this topic.

I'm glad I passed and that I don't have to take anymore of the COMLEX steps.

Wook

I had a crapload of OMM questions on my step 3 today. Probably 15-20% of my questions. Some were legit questions (positioning for muscle energy treatments), but others were silly (OMM for a fib, dyspareunia). Still had images that were freaking blurry and questions that were very poorly worded. Overall, I thought it was better than step 1 and worse than step 2. Lots of OB/gyn, immunizations, derm (not heard anyone mention that one as notable before), medico-legal.

I had a crapload of OMM questions on my step 3 today. Probably 15-20% of my questions. Some were legit questions (positioning for muscle energy treatments), but others were silly (OMM for a fib, dyspareunia). Still had images that were freaking blurry and questions that were very poorly worded. Overall, I thought it was better than step 1 and worse than step 2. Lots of OB/gyn, immunizations, derm (not heard anyone mention that one as notable before), medico-legal.

DrMom, what kind of time did you dedicate to studying (during the day while working? go to the coffee shop? one solid hour a day? two? three?) and what materials did you use? Thanks :)

I used the NMS question book for step 3, Boards and Wards, Savarese (autonomics were big again, also had sacral questions), and First Aid (found quite a few errors in this book & don't recommend it). I did half-assed studying whenever I'd get a few minutes, but I did take off the day before the test to cram.

I've take Step I and II, now I wanted to start studying a bit early for Step 3? Would Me using Crush and Swansons FP get me by? I have Dr. Simmons OMT book and that has never failed yet for OMT...

THanks,

I have no idea how to study for this exam. I covered Crush, QBank, Savarese, ACLS and skimmed B&W. I have taken time out of residency to get this nightmare over with and now this slap in the face - failing again this week? Is this a fixed test? Are you kidding me? I studied an enormous amount (if I told you the hours you wouldn't believe me). Failed? I don't get it. I am well prepared - better than in med school. Comlex Step 3 is a joke. I am retaking in May now too - since that's the soonest that I can take it. I would rather take it in April but it has a 90 day interval required. PLEASE HELP. THanks

Hey racquetball,

fyi comlex III can be retaken after 60 days. I sent you a PM in case you don't get back to this formum any time soon.

thanks

harleyman

I can't seem to find it on the NBOME website as discussed earlier in this thread. Anybody have any idea where it is?

I've take Step I and II, now I wanted to start studying a bit early for Step 3? Would Me using Crush and Swansons FP get me by? I have Dr. Simmons OMT book and that has never failed yet for OMT...

THanks,

Swanson's is not going to help you. Its worthless IMHO for this exam. And its a pain to slog through.

I did well on step III by studying:
a few bits of my old CRUSH STEP II which I was already familiar with.
some parts of my BOARDS AND WARDS, which I was already familiar with.

High Yeild OB-GYN
. This is a must have if you stink with ob stuff. As I did.

STRONG MEDICINE
. Best single source for stepIII.

NMS step III
. A hell of a lot more intuitive and less daunting than NMS for stepII and I. A damn fine question book. Highly recommended.

About one-two hours flying through guts, rashes, and fever work up in pediatrics with my PEDS BLUEPRINTS.

About 20 minutes pounding Savarese autonomics in the skull. I didn't even bother with the rest.

I spent about a month total studying. About 30 minutes a day when I was sitting on the john. Thats how UNMOTIVATED I was to take this thing.
I crammed for 5 days before the exam.

I felt the test was INSANE. I thought I flunked it FOR SURE. Got in the 94% or something nuts like that. So whatever I did worked.

TAKE THIS THING YOUR INTERN YEAR OR YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF. Nothing worse than studying for your respective field's board exams AND THIS THING at the same time. Especially when you've forgotton most of it.

STRONG MEDICINE. Best single source for stepIII.

Totally agree and also agree GET STEP 3 USMLE OR COMLEX out of the way ASAP!!! I have seen chief surgery resident with ivy league credentials bomb step 3 in their 5th year of surgery and jeopardize licenses and jobs and stuff.

Day 1: Boards and Wards - read once
Day 2: Step 2 Secrets - read once
Day 3-4: QBook - one time through (800 questions)
Day 5: Savarese - read once

Pretty simple strategy and passed comfortably.

How does the COMLEX 3 compare to the USMLE step 3? DO you guys use the same study materials?

Is there also a CCS section?

hi everyone, just wanted to BUMP this thread and keep it going since im planning taking the dreaded test sometime before christmas, and just wanted an update on what resources people are still using.

strong medicine has gotten a few good reviews
swanson's family practice has gotten some good, some bad, reviews
saverese (selected chapters) is obviously still a must ...

im thinking Ventdependent's algorithim of High Yield OBGYN, Strong Medicine, NMS step III, with a little peds and omt thrown in sounds like a plan. as the last post on this thread was back in february, im just wondering if anyone had any new thoughts? i guess this stuff doesn't change too much :oops:

See my thoughts in the other thread for specifics. Not to throw off anyone else's mojo or high hopes but COMLEX 3 was unpleasant. Don't think having another month to study would have helped either. A friend of a friend had the same experience I did...he took it the same day last week. Apparently I'm a worthless doctor because if that test was an accurate assessment of my knowledge of medicine, I haven't learned very much. Hopefully I'll do better the second time I take it.

can anyone give any advice on comlex step three I am retaking the examination... and for some reason I didn't even make it on the grid for the health care delivery issues.. What recommendations do you all have for the health care delivery issues sections.. any books or online recs. thanks for the replies... also what helped the most... i have gone through crush... qbook....savarese...boards and words and skimmed swansons.. i don't want to repeat this test...