Advice for an away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HatTricks01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
Current M3 looking to apply into medicine. I've already done a lot of research regarding aways but just wanted to get your guys' advice regarding my particular situation.

I attend a low tier MD state school in the north east. Step 1 high 250s, haven't taken CK or CS, Honors in all rotations thus far (just have Psych and OB left), invited to apply to AOA (decision still pending), 1 abstract and poster at a national conference so far (not first author), currently working on 2 other projects, no pubs, decent ECs but nothing earth shattering.

I'm interested in the program at UCLA and would love to train there. Problem is I have no real connections to CA and have been an east coaster all my life. I understand my app overall is solid assuming I continue doing what I'm doing but I also understand that it's crazy difficult to break into CA without connections. Nobody at my school has matched at UCLA in recent memory (for IM at least) but strong IM candidates have matched consistently at top x programs FWIW.

Would it be helpful to do an away at UCLA to establish a connection, meet with the PD, and demonstrate a willingness to move? Or would I be better off just writing/calling the program early on during interview season expressing interest in training at the program and hoping for an interview? Was wondering if anyone has done an away there or is familiar with program or knows whether or not they tend to interview applicants who've done aways. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello.
Current M3 looking to apply into medicine. I've already done a lot of research regarding aways but just wanted to get your guys' advice regarding my particular situation.

I attend a low tier MD state school in the north east. Step 1 258, haven't taken CK or CS, Honors in all rotations thus far (just have Psych and OB left), invited to apply to AOA (decision still pending), 1 abstract and poster at a national conference so far (not first author), currently working on 2 other projects, no pubs, decent ECs but nothing earth shattering.

I'm interested in the program at UCLA and would love to train there. Problem is I have no real connections to CA and have been an east coaster all my life. I understand my app overall is solid assuming I continue doing what I'm doing but I also understand that it's crazy difficult to break into CA without connections. Nobody at my school has matched at UCLA in recent memory (for IM at least) but strong IM candidates have matched consistently at top x programs FWIW.

Would it be helpful to do an away at UCLA to establish a connection, meet with the PD, and demonstrate a willingness to move? Or would I be better off just writing/calling the program early on during interview season expressing interest in training at the program and hoping for an interview? Was wondering if anyone has done an away there or is familiar with program or knows whether or not they tend to interview applicants who've done aways. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
Don't do an away. Too many variables to ensure the kind of success you would need to impress them. If you haven't heard about an interview contact the program to express interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do an away. Too many variables to ensure the kind of success you would need to impress them. If you haven't heard about an interview contact the program to express interest.

Absolutely agree with the above poster - you've done very well. I would make sure to express interest early at UCLA via PC/PD. You can hurt yourself much more than you can help yourself with away rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only way I can see an away helping you out is if you go there and decide you hate UCLA, or LA, or CA in general. Otherwise, too risky. If you really want to get a feel for the institution and city, consider doing either a non-IM away, or a sub-specialty (that you're interested in) rotation. Go to the IM conferences. Chat up the residents. Etc. But don't do it as an audition.

Just as a general point, a lot of programs (typically your large, well regarded academic places) won't accept away rotators for Gen Med Sub-I's.

Reactions: 1 user
The only way I can see an away helping you out is if you go there and decide you hate UCLA, or LA, or CA in general. Otherwise, too risky. If you really want to get a feel for the institution and city, consider doing either a non-IM away, or a sub-specialty (that you're interested in) rotation. Go to the IM conferences. Chat up the residents. Etc. But don't do it as an audition.

Just as a general point, a lot of programs (typically your large, well regarded academic places) won't accept away rotators for Gen Med Sub-I's.

Is it better to do an away in a sub-specialty or not do one at all?

Is it better to do an away in a sub-specialty or not do one at all?
I personally think, not at all. I did one, in a sub-specialty, at a place I thought was going to be in my Top 3. The away sucked (I mean, I was fine, the place sucked) and it dropped the place to near the bottom of my rank list. So that was something.

IM generally doesn't need aways and they can be problematic for many reasons.

I personally think, not at all. I did one, in a sub-specialty, at a place I thought was going to be in my Top 3. The away sucked (I mean, I was fine, the place sucked) and it dropped the place to near the bottom of my rank list. So that was something.

IM generally doesn't need aways and they can be problematic for many reasons.

Do you think its worth doing these subs-specialty aways then at slightly reach institutions in hopes to get an interview

Hello.

I attend a low tier MD state school in the north east. Step 1 258, haven't taken CK or CS, Honors in all rotations thus far (just have Psych and OB left), invited to apply to AOA (decision still pending), 1 abstract and poster at a national conference so far (not first author), currently working on 2 other projects, no pubs, decent ECs but nothing earth shattering.

Thank you.

I wouldn't do an away; better to just write them a love letter early in the process. Do you have any faculty at your school that trained at UCLA? If so buddying up with them might be in your interest.

Is there anything that particularly enchants you about UCLA or is it just that it's an academic program in SoCal?

Thank you all for the wisdom.
I just want to get my foot in the door and not be overlooked solely because of distance but it seems (hopefully) that I can accomplish that without having to take an unnecessary risk. As far as the city itself goes, I visit LA frequently enough to know I enjoy the place. Obviously living there is vastly different from just visiting but I don't think the hassle of an away and shelling out ~2 Gs is worth it to get a better feel of living there.

This tid bit of info was news to me. Interesting.

I wouldn't do an away; better to just write them a love letter early in the process. Do you have any faculty at your school that trained at UCLA? If so buddying up with them might be in your interest.

Is there anything that particularly enchants you about UCLA or is it just that it's an academic program in SoCal?

Not sure about the faculty. Although doubtful, I'll be sure to take a look, thanks.
Well, there isn't one particular thing that enchants me about UCLA that I'm sure you wouldn't be able to find at another comparable program. Well regarded academic institution, variety of hospitals residents rotate at (flagship, community, county, VA), hard working but overall happy/cohesive residents (from what I hear), good fellowship potential, willing and perhaps slightly eager to move out of the NE, have friends in LA/familiarity with LA, etc. So a bunch of small things that add up. But by no means am I absolutely dead set on it; I just would very much like it as an option when I have to rank.

Well, there isn't one particular thing that enchants me about UCLA that I'm sure you wouldn't be able to find at another comparable program. Well regarded academic institution, variety of hospitals residents rotate at (flagship, community, county, VA), hard working but overall happy/cohesive residents (from what I hear), good fellowship potential, willing and perhaps slightly eager to move out of the NE, have friends in LA/familiarity with LA, etc. So a bunch of small things that add up. But by no means am I absolutely dead set on it; I just would very much like it as an option when I have to rank.

All perfectly valid. I think you have a good shot at UCLA although no-name school + lack of research might hurt you. But you'll have plenty of good options regardless; a place like UCSD satisfies most/all of your criteria and I think you'd be a shoe-in there.