Advice: Applying Combined Neurology/Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm mostly a lurker. I plan to apply combine neuro/psych this year and wanted advice on how to apply with backup programs? Currently, there seems to be only 5 combined programs (UMass, MUSC, NYU, Brown, and UTSW). I found this old thread:Applying to neurology and psychiatry? but the information seem a bit outdated to me. Is it still considered offensive to apply both neurology and psych as backup; although, I'm applying combined initially? I am genuinely interested in both.

People who apply Med-Peds apply backup medicine and pediatrics all the time, so what's the difference? How should I apply strategically with only 5 combined programs? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it sounds tough, but pick the one you would prefer being "stuck with" should you not be able to do both.
I am doing the combined program, so shoot me a DM if you have any questions.

-A

But if I like both how do I choose? That is the main reason I am pursuing combined. I guess I'll have to make a pros/cons sheet.

Members don't see this ad :)
You like both and you are choosing to pursue both. But, you're asking about your backup plan. So that means something must be sacrificed. Your decision might come down to:
  • which pathologies you would prefer to treat should you have an either/or option
  • preference for practice options down the road
  • research interests
Individually, the specialties have quite different training, and most combined residents still have one of the two specialties they would have defaulted to had they not done combined.
Hope that helps.

You like both and you are choosing to pursue both. But, you're asking about your backup plan. So that means something must be sacrificed. Your decision might come down to:
  • which pathologies you would prefer to treat should you have an either/or option
  • preference for practice options down the road
  • research interests
Individually, the specialties have quite different training, and most combined residents still have one of the two specialties they would have defaulted to had they not done combined.
Hope that helps.

You're completely right. I do tend to lean more towards one due to research interests. I'll have to make a pros/cons list.

How competitive are these programs? Thanks.

My understanding is they are very competitive because despite being a relatively small pool of applicants, the available spots are even fewer.