Advice about Ophthalmology Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentofthegame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have seen some threads in which people provide really specific advice about residency applications, interviews, etc. Since many students applying to the match this year will be starting their away and home program ophthalmology electives soon, I wanted to try to create an updated advice thread for just that. Especially as I will be performing 2 away rotations this Sept/Oct. I have read several times the general advice of being nice/normal, being early & staying late, being "on," working hard, coming prepared, being interested, etc.

What I am really hoping people who have been there before can comment on, is 1) resources to use (books, websites, apps, etc.) 2) specific ways to be helpful in the OR/Clinic (either that you did or have seen done) 3) any other ways to really set yourself apart, and 4) anything you wish you had known or done before, during, or after your elective.

I have read many threads already and consolidated the following info:
-Resources: OphthoBook (a must), EyeRounds, EyeWiki, wills eye manual (just as a reference text)
-Way to shine: Asking good questions; Helping your resident figure out the refraction on a pair of glasses while he/she does the BCVA; Try to find out the faculty that carry the most weight in terms of residency applicant decisions; Read the papers the faculty you work with have published

Anything you can add to build upon this would be great. I think number 2) & 4) above are the ones that would be the most helpful to comment on. But any advice/opinion you can provide is very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a few of my thoughts.

General rules for OR are as follows:
  • Always, always be on time and be prepared. On time means being there at least 45-60 minutes prior to first case. Find out the day before when the first case is, where and/or which OR the cases are in so you're not lost on your first day.
  • Read up on the different cases the night prior and prepare good questions to ask. Know the right time to ask questions (usually between cases).
  • Make sure you are aware of what the OR attire is (scrubs, shoe covers, hat, mask, etc.). Make sure you know how you will be getting scrubs. Do you have access to the scrub machine or are you bringing your own?
  • Do your best to not get in the way of staff and resident/attending, but still find ways to be helpful (help with patient transport, warm blankets for patient, carrying the chart off of the resident, help in patient prep [moving patient up the bed, pillows under the knees, etc.], and just overall being helpful to everyone).
  • Be nice to everyone. You are constantly being watched without it ever seeming like you are.
General rules for clinic are as follows:
  • As above. Be on time and be prepared. On time means be there 15 minutes before you are supposed to be there. If you show up on the time you're supposed to be there, consider yourself already late.
  • Attire. Usually this means short white coat and tie.
  • Read up about the type of clinic you will be in so you can ask better questions.
  • Try to be helpful without being in the way (offer to help with calling patients into room, wipe clean the slit lamp, checking their vision, putting drops in... let the resident guide you here).
  • Be interested, fascinated, and ask questions without being over-bearing or trying too hard to show-off.
  • Go to all the various teaching opportunities, grand rounds, conferences, etc. that you can.
  • Have a book with you so you can do some reading when things slow down in the clinic. Don't just stand around and twiddle your thumbs! Make the most of the time you have.
  • Be nice to everyone. You are constantly being watched without it ever seeming like you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
the above post tells me maybe I should be watching my medical students more aggressively.

Some of this is overkill. You don't need to be 20 Minutes early to clinic. Sometimes the residents are trying to catch up on paperwork before clinic and if you're there that early you might just be in the way. Just show up on time.

Do read ophtho book or the AAO book for medical students - both are very good. BCSC is much too in depth and Kanski can be overwhelming. Ask relevant questions but also take cues. Your resident may ask you if you have questions or they may actively teach you and you may not have many questions.

Allow the residents and faculty to give you a sense of expectations. You may be introduced to the rotation by the medical student director or you may not be. They may have a syllabus. Ask if there are opportunities to give a grand rounds or small presentation.

Honestly, I think it's hard to screw up a rotation. Just don't be arrogant or rude and make sure to be engaged. Every clinic is different and every rotation is different so it's hard to give general advice.... if you think you are someone who cannot judge situations well and recognize how to respond to them - like when to be quiet and when to ask questions - then don't do an away rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
agree with above posts---cannot emphasize enough going to all teaching opportunities (am resident lectures if invited, grand rounds, etc) bcz if your not taking advantage of all learning opps now as a wide-eyed med student trying to impress, how dedicated will you be as a resident?

Be engaged without being bothersome--some things are better looked up before straight up asking someone---better to look up something first then ask clarifying questions.

Interact with patients, ask them questions and hear their story during down time while resident or attending is typing note. Its tough not having a defined role, but going out of your way to develop a rapport with your patients goes a long way in my opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you all for the advice! The different perspectives are definitely helpful-- I understand the difficulty in giving general advice and ultimately the need for me to adapt to each situation. I am very excited for these rotations!