Advanced cardiac imaging fellowship value....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nlax30

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there is enough activity here to get some useful answers but wanted to ask anyway....

In last year of my general cards fellowship and looking at non-invasive gigs when a potential opportunity came up for sticking around doing an advanced imaging fellowship year. Previously had not seriously considered it though enjoyed the technology and the field in general. I was thinking of getting Level II CT anyway but now am considering just doing the extra year.

I understand that at some level the value will be based on if I intend to do primarily cardiac imaging (CT/MRI) though I'm not sure I want to do academics and spend most of my time in that specific arena. Our CT/MRI mentors were primarily typical non-invasive clinicians who incorporated these modalities into their every-day practice so it was a nice mix which I enjoyed at the time.

Most of the jobs I've been looking at were just looking for a non-invasive cardiologist though I have seen a couple mention advanced imaging training a plus. And I'm assuming with more community type places getting into the structural heart game that they're going to want an imaging guy.

So.... all that being said, anyone have experience with the added value of the extra imaging year in regards to job opportunities? Salary? Demand?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Having advanced imaging training can be of value for non-invasive jobs with bigger hospital-employed groups where the hospital is looking to establish cardiac MRI/CTA and structural heart programs. It's not going to increase your salary but may make you a more attractive candidate. In almost all the non-academic jobs you would be expected to do non-invasive clinical cardiology in addition to the imaging. If you are going to do the extra year, it would be best if you are also getting level 3 echo with TEE and structural/intra-op experience which would be of great value to a lot of hospitals.

Yea that's what I kind of figured. Will be Level II comprehensive echo including TEE with structural (TAVR/Watchman) experience coming out of general cards fellowship so I need to see if getting Level III ECHO in addition to CT/MRI cert is feasible with the extra imaging year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Know of some who presumably got a particular gig due to being level 3 echo and I've talked to a few attendings/employers that suggest being level 3 could be favorable. However, it's only worthwhile if you actually enjoy imaging and don't mind potentially spending a lot of time in the lab (not necessarily a given though).

Know of some who presumably got a particular gig due to being level 3 echo and I've talked to a few attendings/employers that suggest being level 3 could be favorable. However, it's only worthwhile if you actually enjoy imaging and don't mind potentially spending a lot of time in the lab (not necessarily a given though).

Can somebody tell me how to even get level III in ECHO. Have confirmed that national board of ECHO (NBE) does not certify level III, they only certify level II. As per CoCats requirement, level III in ECHO requires additional criteria, but after meeting these requirements, do you just walk around and say "Im level III certified" without any certification for it?