ADN vs ABSN in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackWarrior

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to an ABSN and an ADN program in SoCal. Initially, I was leaning towards the ADN. I can attend the ADN program while concurrently taking BSN courses online at CSUDH. The total tuition for this route is roughly $30k and it will take 3 years to complete. Then I got accepted to an ABSN program that costs $55k tuition (which is fairly common in California) which will take about 2 years to complete. Based on the market in California, would it smarter to spend the extra $30k to save a year of schooling so that I can be working as a RN earlier? Are ADN graduates having a tough time securing a RN position? I know a majority of the hospitals in major cities like Los Angeles are requiring a BSN for their new grad programs - I wouldn't want to sit around for a year waiting to complete my BSN, but then again it's also a good chunk of money I could be saving. The end goal for me is CRNA/Psych NP.

Members don't see this ad.

$20k is a lot of money, but time is money too. You'll hit the job market and make $85k your first year and not even miss the $20k. You'll need a BSN anyway. I'd just do the BSN upfront and save time and effort. The big picture is what you want to look at, especially since you want to move up to advanced practice nursing.

Reactions: 1 users
10 years ago I would have said ADN first without hesitation. Today, however, magnet certifications are resulting in many hospitals avoiding hiring ADN nurses. If you don't mind working outpatient a few years until you bridge, go ADN. If inpatient is your goal and where you need to be (like me) get your BSN first.

Reactions: 1 user