Admissions time!! Ask Me Anything (within reason) pre-meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FourniersGreenGang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello pre-meds,

I know right now is admissions time and many of you are probably scrambling to get your apps in. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask. If I have an answer, I will respond as promptly as I can, but please be patient. I want to help you guys navigate this crazy process, so please let me know as I have been there. I won't have a ton of time to do this, but I will try my best. Also, I will not answer questions that could reveal identities and whatnot, so I will simply respond with a "Thank you for your question" if I get one of those. Now... fire away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much do I have to slip my interviewer in order to get a good recommendation from them?

I don't want insult them with something too small, but I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Reactions: 8 users
How much do I have to slip my interviewer in order to get a good recommendation from them?

I don't want insult them with something too small, but I don't want to spend more than I have to.

Just give slip em' a piece of paper with an I.O.U. on it. That way if you are accepted/matriculate, you pay what you feel like without guilt. If you are not accepted, then your I.O.U. is just worth the piece of paper it is written on.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The issue is definitely a tough one. I think it depends on who your interviewer is. If he or she is a medical student, just give them like 10 bucks. If he or she is a basic science faculty member, you should probably bump it up to 4 or 5 figures. If he or she is a pediatric neurosurgeon, it's 6 figures all day.

Edit: Just in case: This is facetious, please don't slip your interviewer anything other than your CV if you want.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you recommend is the best way to formally prepare for interviews?

Be yourself, and be honest and open. Have an idea of what you want to say, but don't memorize it word for word.

Know how to generally answer the basic questions: "Why medicine? Why this particular school? Any leadership skills? etc."

I'm writing the MCAT in August and won't receive my scores till Sept 22nd to send to schools I'm applying to. Is that too late?

What I did was look up general questions for interviewing. I would find a mirror and sit down by it (just to see my posture and eye contact). I just remember the main points of what I wanted to say. I make it a point to change up the way I answer the same question every time I went over it again, so I don't sound rehearsed. I would also find random questions every time I practiced so I get used to "out of the blue" type questions.

I also highly recommend looking at the interview section on the SDN site. This will show the type of questions asked at each interview. You'd be surprised by how a good portion of those questions are actually asked!

I'm writing the MCAT in August and won't receive my scores till Sept 22nd to send to schools I'm applying to. Is that too late?

It will depend on your GPA and what MCAT score you get. I believe if you are above a 3.4 GPA and 26 MCAT (around 503) I don't think it will affect your chances at acceptance. However, if you have a GPA <3.2 and an MCAT <500. This will make things difficult.

I highly suggest only applying to one school and waiting for your MCAT scores to come out. If your MCAT score is too low, then you can withdraw your application to that school and only be a reapplicant to that school.

@IslandStyle808 has some great advice for you there. I agree, however, September is a little on the late side so just beware. If your scores are good then you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I was wondering, is it possible to get into a DO school with a letter of recommendation from an MD or DO? What schools specifically can I apply to? Thank you!

Hello! I was wondering, is it possible to get into a DO school with a letter of recommendation from an MD or DO? What schools specifically can I apply to? Thank you!

Absolutely possible! Most DO schools no longer have the DO letter requirement and have switched to "physician letter".

I had an MD letter and was accepted to a DO school.

Absolutely possible! Most DO schools no longer have the DO letter requirement and have switched to "physician letter".

I had an MD letter and was accepted to a DO school.
Thank you for letting me know! Unfortunately, I won't have any MD or DO letters :( I have strong LORs from my school Committee though. Would this be okay?

Thank you for letting me know! Unfortunately, I won't have any MD or DO letters :( I have strong LORs from my school Committee though. Would this be okay?
Pretty sure you need an MD/DO letter regardless. A committee letter only covers the LORs for professors.

Pretty sure you need an MD/DO letter regardless. A committee letter only covers the LORs for professors.

In general, a physician letter bodes well for your application as it reenforces the notion that you're aware of what you're getting into. Also, to have an endorsement from a professional that holds the title you aspire to someday speaks about your character to the admissions committee.

Most MD and DO schools have a rigid letter requirement and without meeting it, your application will be thrown out and it will be money wasted thanks to being prescreened.

My advice: if you don't have a physician LOR, find one to shadow and get one or speak to a physician you previously shadowed and ask for one.

In general, a physician letter bodes well for your application as it reenforces the notion that you're aware of what you're getting into. Also, to have an endorsement from a professional that holds the title you aspire to someday speaks about your character to the admissions committee.

Most MD and DO schools have a rigid letter requirement and without meeting it, your application will be thrown out and it will be money wasted thanks to being prescreened.

My advice: if you don't have a physician LOR, find one to shadow and get one or speak to a physician you previously shadowed and ask for one.

Good to know! Thank you!

Keep in mind some schools like LECOM that require a DO letter actually give you a DO LOR on interview day if you don't have one by agreeing to spending lunch with one of the DO faculty.

Reactions: 3 users
Keep in mind some schools like LECOM that require a DO letter actually give you a DO LOR on interview day if you don't have one by agreeing to spending lunch with one of the DO faculty.

Whoah, that's awesome! Props to LECOM on that one.

I submitted my primaries a couple weeks ago and yesterday I received emails from 4 different DO schools inviting me to complete their secondaries. How long after the invite do you recommend sending in the completed secondary with supporting documents? I've heard anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. There's no way I can finish all these essays while working full time. Already feel like I'm drowning /: Any advice?

I submitted my primaries a couple weeks ago and yesterday I received emails from 4 different DO schools inviting me to complete their secondaries. How long after the invite do you recommend sending in the completed secondary with supporting documents? I've heard anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. There's no way I can finish all these essays while working full time. Already feel like I'm drowning /: Any advice?
If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you receive secondaries from?

Most of the secondaries are unfortunately just different enough from one another to where you cannot recycle previous essay responses.

Record your essays from your first secondary within a Word document and then tailor them to your future secondaries as needed.

This will essentially give you an outline of your essays and you can alter the finite details for each secondary.

My undergrad cGPA was 3.14, first 2 semesters were 2.8 and 1.97, all the rest over 3.0 and upward trend finishing last 3 semesters over 3.5. Had some setbacks with depression, concussion, and diagnosed with learning/reading disability and have an F and some WC on my transcript
1 year chiropractic college mostly basic sciences GPA was 3.96, 4.0, 4.0 then decided I wanted to be a DO
One year post-bacc GPA 3.98
cGPA and sGPA now both around 3.4
Jan MCAT 506 126/124/128/128, April 512 127/127/127/131
How much do I disclose of this in my personal statement? What I have right now is just that I focused on work, hockey, and bodybuilding too much and not enough on school, learned my lesson and focused on school later in my ugrad and after and it shows. Don't want to make excuses and also don't want to make myself look bad. Any input would be appreciated.

If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you receive secondaries from?

Rowan, MSUCOM, AZCOM, CCOM. Received a couple more today too. Pray for me.

a blank signed check . . . .

My undergrad cGPA was 3.14, first 2 semesters were 2.8 and 1.97, all the rest over 3.0 and upward trend finishing last 3 semesters over 3.5. Had some setbacks with depression, concussion, and diagnosed with learning/reading disability and have an F and some WC on my transcript
1 year chiropractic college mostly basic sciences GPA was 3.96, 4.0, 4.0 then decided I wanted to be a DO
How much do I disclose of this in my personal statement? What I have right now is just that I focused on work, hockey, and bodybuilding too much and not enough on school, learned my lesson and focused on school later in my ugrad and after and it shows. Don't want to make excuses and also don't want to make myself look bad. Any input would be appreciated.
It is important to put the reasons for your poor grades into context but without making excuses. Show why that was you then and this is you now and why it's no longer a problem. Congratulations on the excellent post bac grades! Best of luck applying.

Sorry to derail a bit, but mind if I DM you about the chiro application cycle? My brother wants to be a chiro and I have been trying to help him get ready to apply. It'd be nice to have feedback on what the application cycle is like and what kind of stats you need.

With regards to your question: I had a rougher start to my college education as well. If you can find a way to INDIRECTLY address it, I find this is the best way to approach the issue at hand.

ex) My first 2-3 years of college SUCKED. In my personal statement I talked about dedicating my life to music early in college and how much time being in a small touring band consumed. I talked about how I found my academic calling in my third year. I talked about how finding my academic passion inspired me to start loving school. From this story, it becomes easy to extrapolate for the reader (assuming they have my transcript with them as well) because my grades literally go from B's/C's to straight A's in the timeline I give them.

You could try doing something like this with your PS.

I think your academic record in Chiro school, coupled with your respectable MCAT, shows reinvention as well.

Last edited:
Sorry to derail a bit, but mind if I DM you about the chiro application cycle? My brother wants to be a chiro and I have been trying to help him get ready to apply. It'd be nice to have feedback on what the application cycle is like and what kind of stats you need.

With regards to your question: I had a rougher start to my college education as well. If you can find a way to INDIRECTLY address it, I find this is the best way to approach the issue at hand.

ex) My first 2-3 years of college SUCKED. In my personal statement I talked about dedicating my life to music early in college and how much time being in a small touring band consumed. I talked about how I found my academic calling in my third year. I talked about how finding my academic passion inspired me to start loving school. From this story, it becomes easy to extrapolate for the reader (assuming they have my transcript with them as well) because my grades literally go from B's/C's to straight A's in the timeline I give them.

You could try doing something like this with your PS.

I think your academic record in Chiro school, coupled with your respectable MCAT, shows reinvention as well.
Sure thing fire me a message. Thanks for the input too!

I have a few questions on components of my personal statement. I feel that my essay is complete, and I am no longer actively adding to it, but someone brought a few interesting points up when reading my essay, and I was wondering if anyone could take a look, and let me know what they think.