Addiction Psychiatry Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungDoc3000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input or thoughts on the following addiction psych fellowships:

UIC, Emory, Sinai West, Sinai Beth Israel, U of Minnesota

Members don't see this ad.

I have a colleague who trained at IOC and has only positive things to say, he graduated in 2009.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Bump please...

Does anyone have any information on how many spots are unfilled for addiction psych programs? Any input on these programs: Yale, Partners, Northwestern, UTSW, Baylor, USF, U Mich, Indiana, Mayo? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump please...

Does anyone have any information on how many spots are unfilled for addiction psych programs? Any input on these programs: Yale, Partners, Northwestern, UTSW, Baylor, USF, U Mich, Indiana, Mayo? Thanks

No open spots at UTSW for next year. Feel free to PM for details.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump please...

My wife is graduating from the IU Addiction Fellowship this year. Msg me if you'd like her to contact you. They do have a spot open.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump again... anyone know anything about the addiction psych program at SUNY Upstate in Syracuse?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Emory is top tier

No. First, as I've said before on various iterations of this topic, it's a one year clinical fellowship that basically teaches you stuff you should have learned in residency- or in which you should have done electives. The quality of the fellowship mostly has to do with the academic cadre of addiction research around it. So, in that sense Yale, MGH/McLean, Columbia (which is also a NIDA T32), and Penn are the best.

Emory certainly has top level psychiatry training and fellowship programs. It is very important to go to a program that gives you high quality teaching, research opportunities and access to top leaders of the field. Plus, the city is important because it is important to get access to a diverse patient population

Emory certainly has top level psychiatry training and fellowship programs. It is very important to go to a program that gives you high quality teaching, research opportunities and access to top leaders of the field. Plus, the city is important because it is important to get access to a diverse patient population

Yes, Emory is one of the best general psych residency training programs in the southeast (though diminished somewhat since the Nemeroff fiasco), but its addiction psych fellowship is one year at the VA (like most others)- nothing special. Yes, you get lots of patients at Grady and the VA, but again this doesn't set Emory apart from any other urban hospital. You definitely do NOT have the big names in the field like you do at McLean, Yale, Penn, Columbia, MUSC etc. Their areas of research strength are elsewhere (brain stimulation with helen mayberg, and though Kerry Ressler left I believe some of his lab is still there). No one in academic addiction psychiatry would consider emory a "top" fellowship... sorry

To be fair let us highlight why Emory is a top program across all of its psychiatry training programs. Lets start by adding some of the other big names at Emory.

While many of these Emory faculty are not strictly 'addictions', they provide what would appear to be unlimited opportunity for collaboration and learning. I spoke to two friends who are connected there to assemble this.
Emory shines with lots of big names in psychiatry on top of Mayberg and Ressler. Ressler is still on faculty and has made a connection between Emory and Harvard through his research. Frank Brown is the immediate past president of the American college of psychiatrists and can help fellows connect with many other top leaders. Rapaport is Emory's chairman and is the FOCUS Editor in Chief, which is THE book and journal for maintaining psychiatry certification and has topics on every psychiatry subspecialty including Addictions. He also has some of the biggest turn out for his lecture/seminars at the APA. Mayberg is the top researcher in deep brain stimulation. McDonald is one of the biggest names in Psychiatry, and any academic in psychiatry knows who he is. Larry Tune who is originally from Hopkins is a big name, just ask a professor at any known academic center. Peter Ash was president of the American Association for Psychiatry and Law and helped shape guidelines for forensic psychiatry. Joseph Browning, Matt Norman are known through top news outlets as having done many high profile forensic cases. Christoffel Le Roux was just made the addiction psychiatry fellowship program director and is a big name in psychiatry. One of the top editors of the American Journal of Psychiatry's Residents' Journal is at Emory, and there are addiction themes in that journal that trainees can publish in. One of the main editors for the American Journal of Psychiatry is Benjamin G. Druss, who is a huge name in public health and psychiatry - incredibly important when thinking about the impact certain addictive substances may have on public health issues. The CDC is connected to Emory and is located in Atlanta, allowing for arguably the best connections to research across the board. At the end of the day it is what the trainee makes of his or her experience. What fascinates me is that there is a new Emory Brain Health Center, which on youtube looks like a state of the art facility.

Last edited: