Actual post 911 GI bill users in Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most discussion (including the sticky) seems to discuss the MGIB or the theoretical use of the post 911 GI bill. Has anybody actually used the post 911 GI bill for more than 6 months as a resident? If so are you classified as an apprenticeship/OJT with respect to your MHA (Monthly Housing Allowance) and books/supplies stipend?

Members don't see this ad.

Below is what I can find from the VA. However, I am interested to know what the actual experience has been.

https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/ans...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM4NTkzMjE3MS9zaWQvbzVUekNMR2w=

If I'm Enrolled In The Residency Portion Of A Medical Program At An Institute Of Higher Learning Am I Eligible For The Housing Allowance Portion Of The Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Answer ID 967 | Published 11/07/2008 01:02 PM | Updated 11/10/2011 01:15 PM
Yes, as long as you are enrolled in an approved program at an Institute of Higher Learning and training at the greater than ½ time level you will receive the housing allowance portion of your GI Bill regardless of your housing situation.

Wow, only 1 reply. I feel like people who have been able to use this are unicorns. Everyone says they exist, yet have never been seen in real life.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has been successful, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did it. I did the MGIB x36mo then the post 911 for 12 additional months.

in a surgical residency for 5yrs post 3yrs as GMO

step 1 call your residency/med school/hospital location/GME "GI bill liason"
step 2. fill out the forms

somehow I was eligible for both( bought into the MGIB then had both)
so: I did the MGIB for 3yrs , then 12mo of the post911 GI bill (something like BAH for an E5)
actually worked.
amazing.

I did it. I did the MGIB x36mo then the post 911 for 12 additional months.

in a surgical residency for 5yrs post 3yrs as GMO

step 1 call your residency/med school/hospital location/GME "GI bill liason"
step 2. fill out the forms

somehow I was eligible for both( bought into the MGIB then had both)
so: I did the MGIB for 3yrs , then 12mo of the post911 GI bill (something like BAH for an E5)
actually worked.
amazing.

So as a resident if you have "used up" your Gi bill you can use the post 911 Gi bill?

Does the post 911 Gi Bill have a dollar amount assigned to it (10,000?)?

Most discussion (including the sticky) seems to discuss the MGIB or the theoretical use of the post 911 GI bill. Has anybody actually used the post 911 GI bill for more than 6 months as a resident? If so are you classified as an apprenticeship/OJT with respect to your MHA (Monthly Housing Allowance) and books/supplies stipend?

I used the post 9/11 GIB from 2009-2012. I can't remember the particularities about how I was classified, but recall I qualified for the monthly allowance, as well a tuition, if residency had tuition. The program is set up for degree-bearing programs that charge tuition. Two pieces of advice:
1. Start your application as soon as you can. (I guess that would be as soon as you have your DD-214) Although I didn't experience the 3 years of waiting time you hear about on the news, it will take longer than you think it should.
2. Do the math yourself, but I'd recommend converting to post9/11 from the start if you are in a 3 year residency. If it's 4 years or longer, take the MGIB if you're eligible, then convert when it runs out. I think this will maximize your benefits.

I am resurrecting this thread due to discussion on another thread that recipients of the hpsp scholarship who have performed only their minimum payback time are not eligible for the post-9/11 gi bill. Wondering of anyone knows if this is true?

Not true; to be eligible for full post 9-11 benefits, you need to have served 36 months, but if you read VBA 22-1990, they only ask about your time served as payback if you use the MGIB.

I am resurrecting this thread due to discussion on another thread that recipients of the hpsp scholarship who have performed only their minimum payback time are not eligible for the post-9/11 gi bill. Wondering of anyone knows if this is true?

can you use the MGIB if all of your 36 months was payback time?

Reviving this thread, to see if there's anyone else with more examples of using post 9/11 gi bill in residency. I put my application in recently. I'm finishing up my school for voc rehab. According to ebenefits, I still have 26 months of GI bill left, I've heard though that 48 months is the limit, which will give me about 6 months of benefits in residency (I doing it in a pretty expensive area so this is actually a significant amount of cash anyway). Anybody have any additional experience with it cutting off after 48 months?

Reviving this thread, to see if there's anyone else with more examples of using post 9/11 gi bill in residency. I put my application in recently. I'm finishing up my school for voc rehab. According to ebenefits, I still have 26 months of GI bill left, I've heard though that 48 months is the limit, which will give me about 6 months of benefits in residency (I doing it in a pretty expensive area so this is actually a significant amount of cash anyway). Anybody have any additional experience with it cutting off after 48 months?

Can you explain what the 48 month limit is? Is this something that was changed recently? I'm finishing up my 1st year using Voc rehab, and have 33 month of post 9/11 remaining, which I was planning to use it during residency as well.

Can you explain what the 48 month limit is? Is this something that was changed recently? I'm finishing up my 1st year using Voc rehab, and have 33 month of post 9/11 remaining, which I was planning to use it during residency as well.

Some posters on the voc rehab thread have stated that there is a 48 month limit on total educational benefits unless you meet specific criteria. It's unclear if this will affect my GI bill . My ebenefits indicate I still have 26 months remaining of GI bill benefits even though I have used about 43 months of total education benefits (GI bill and vocational rehab). I'll let you know how it turns out in 6 months or so for myself (i.e. whether it runs out or not).

Some posters on the voc rehab thread have stated that there is a 48 month limit on total educational benefits unless you meet specific criteria. It's unclear if this will affect my GI bill . My ebenefits indicate I still have 26 months remaining of GI bill benefits even though I have used about 43 months of total education benefits (GI bill and vocational rehab). I'll let you know how it turns out in 6 months or so for myself (i.e. whether it runs out or not).
Please keep me posted!