Active Duty PA to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCHMITTIE120

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some insight on things to improve to be accepted to a MD/DO program

I am a active duty physician assistant (6 years of service) looking to apply to Medical school in the next 2 years (due to military commitments)

I have a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.2 sGPA. My PA school GPA was a 3.5. I have an old MCAT of 29 so I expect with some solid studying I could be in the same ballpark. I have 2 published articles and have presented case studies and a reasearch project at several military medicine symposiums. I have several hundred hours of volunteer work.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have much to offer since you have a pretty good game plan, but fellow PA applying MD this cycle and just wanted to say good luck. Your gpa is a bit low so could take a couple courses to show recent coursework/motivation and bump the gpa a bit.
Also have you looked into lecom's pathway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking for some insight on things to improve to be accepted to a MD/DO program

I am a active duty physician assistant (6 years of service) looking to apply to Medical school in the next 2 years (due to military commitments)

I have a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.2 sGPA. My PA school GPA was a 3.5. I have an old MCAT of 29 so I expect with some solid studying I could be in the same ballpark. I have 2 published articles and have presented case studies and a reasearch project at several military medicine symposiums. I have several hundred hours of volunteer work.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help

Thanks for your service!

Your GPAs aren't awful, but if you could take a few upper division science classes part time before your apply in two years that would help. MCAT is the biggest thing now. 29 is fine for DO with your stats but shoot for as high as you can!

You could apply USUHS if you want to get your 20, but anywhere you apply, your military background will be a big plus.

Good luck OP.

There is an MS-2 at Texas A&M you should chat with. If you don't already know who i'm talking about, PM me.