ACOM vs MUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulRevere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been accepted to both ACOM and MUCOM.

As far as I can tell, I am simply looking for the school with the best rotations and will best enable me to get into a surgical specialty residency. Geography is equivocal to me. As there are not yet any available match lists for either school, I know that much of this is guesswork.

I know that ACOM has established rotations despite its young age (with access to all of the AMEC rotations), and ACOM does seem to have significant time for elective/selective rotations and audition rotations. However, as far as I can tell, none of ACOM's core rotation sites have surgical residency programs.

MUCOM seems to have some decent rotations, with the ability to rotate at bigger, more established hospitals, simply due to its placement in Indianapolis. Does this also mean there would be a greater opportunity for research due to the hub of Indianapolis, IU, etc...?

Does either school seem to push their students more or less forcefully into the primary care specialties than the average DO school?

Now, I fully understand that I should not choose any particular school based off of an assumption that I will want to do a particular specialty when I still have not begun med school and haven't done any rotations at all. However, as much as I know now, I do believe this is what I will want to do and I would like to poise myself for the best chances at that. If, in a few years, I realize that I want to do something different, then I'm sure either school will prepare me for that eventuality.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Members don't see this ad.