ACLS/PALS online courses- no skills test???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pressed for time and my ACLS/PALS is up in May

I'm board certified so from what I've heard ACLS/PALS isn't detrimental to my ability to practice. HOWEVER, I'd like to stay certified.

There appear to be a multitude of online non-AHA ACLS/PALS courses that don't require an in-person skills test (seriously, I don't have time for this).

My company will pay for whatever I do, I'm just wondering if these online, non-AHA, no skills test certification renewals are worth anything or just toilet paper?

Many are advertising as "accepted in state X"

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably worthless. I would also suggest you read any fine print. If your BLS runs out concurrently with the ACLS, make sure any ACLS course you take will also recert your BLS. I took the ACLS online course from Laerdal, and even went in to test my CPR skills. Found out when the card came in that no BLS card came with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SDN Mobile

I'm pressed for time and my ACLS/PALS is up in May

I'm board certified so from what I've heard ACLS/PALS isn't detrimental to my ability to practice. HOWEVER, I'd like to stay certified.

There appear to be a multitude of online non-AHA ACLS/PALS courses that don't require an in-person skills test (seriously, I don't have time for this).

My company will pay for whatever I do, I'm just wondering if these online, non-AHA, no skills test certification renewals are worth anything or just toilet paper?

Many are advertising as "accepted in state X"

thoughts?
Why be certified? Does your hospital require it? If not, let it lapse. If so, see if you can get that changed. Paying money for merit badges doesn't make sense. Especially when part of ACLS recommends "expert consultation", which is typically you.

If your hospital does require it, the online ones can work just fine. They just don't say AHA on them.
The AHA ones aren't worth much more than toilet paper either. Especially when it is typically a nonclinical nurse who is trying to teach you, and making nonsensical arguments for things while doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My graduating certificate from residency states this:

"This residency does not endorse short courses in specialized areas of emergency medicine such as ATLS, ACLS, PALS, and others. By the completion of our curricula, a residency graduate can be considered an expert in all facets of emergency medicine. Completion of an emergency medicine residency far supersedes evidence of the completion of such courses"

Fortunately, my hospital agrees. I let them all expire. Hold onto them if you wanna moonlight.

Hold onto them if you wanna moonlight.

This is the only reason I still have them... but I do them all online and submit the fees as tax deductions. Haven't wasted a day with knuckleheads in years.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

This is the only reason I still have them... but I do them all online and submit the fees as tax deductions. Haven't wasted a day with knuckleheads in years.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Our hospital requires :( Will second doing them online, no need to sit through a course.

There are two things about which emergency medicine physicians have a shamefully poor track record:

1) Tolerating the tendency of hospital credentialing committees to require merit badges (acls, pals, atls, etc.).

2) Tolerating the tendency of hospital pharmacy & therapeutics committees to restrict our use of medications (e.g. procedural sedation medications, droperidol).

Even when emergency physicians are active in hospital administration and hold high office in the medical staff hierarchy, many of these policies continue....

Shameful.

Be sure to check with the office that requires the credentialing before buying anything. There are a lot of places online that are happy to sell you a certificate that the hospital will not accept. Generally, the AHA-associated programs are what hospitals want (often because the hospital is looking for some AHA-related certification).

That being said, the AHA continues to move itself up on my **** list.

My graduating certificate from residency states this:

"This residency does not endorse short courses in specialized areas of emergency medicine such as ATLS, ACLS, PALS, and others. By the completion of our curricula, a residency graduate can be considered an expert in all facets of emergency medicine. Completion of an emergency medicine residency far supersedes evidence of the completion of such courses"

Fortunately, my hospital agrees. I let them all expire. Hold onto them if you wanna moonlight.

Very nice! Where did you train?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile

Thank you for the trolltastic post. Enjoy your day and stay warm.

Sincerely,
Arcan57

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doctors, and "Doctor-Wannabes"...

Hey dude. Was a medic. Twelve years. Now I'm a doc. I used to think like you. Paragod. King of the small world of EMS. Now I realize that I didn't know ****. That all I could do was regurgitate algorhythms. Find it funny that three docs couldn't tube the code that YOU brought in, which means that you couldn't do it either. Go you. Now, as a doc, I realize - every, damn, day, that I still don't know ****. The only difference between you and me, is that you still don't get this.

Reactions: 8 users
Hey dude. Was a medic. Twelve years. Now I'm a doc. I used to think like you. Paragod. King of the small world of EMS. Now I realize that I didn't know ****. That all I could do was regurgitate algorhythms. Find it funny that three docs couldn't tube the code that YOU brought in, which means that you couldn't do it either. Go you. Now, as a doc, I realize - every, damn, day, that I still don't know ****. The only difference between you and me, is that you still don't get this.

Cosign above. I am actually doing paramedic recert right now, and that is as a board-certified EM doc. The paragods that don't know what they don't know are worrisome. Humility is your buddy, buddy (not you - this "josgrevar" person).

Reactions: 1 user

What Would Aliens Think Of Us?

The further I get along in Medicine, not only do I realize the less I know, the more I realize the less anyone knows. If you look at medical standards over time, we're really a laughable bunch (but no less than anyone else).

Trauma: "Slam the fluids in!"

Became, "Don't slam the fluids in!" (Oops, that kills people.)

Estrogen replacement isn't needed.

Estrogen replacement is needed.

Estrogen replacement causes cancer.

(Just in recent news, insert testosterone, for all of the above).

Lowering cholesterol prevents heart disease.

Lowering cholesterol doesn't prevent heart disease (but not before Lipitor ranked as the countries #1 drug for years.)

Tonsils need to be removed.

Tonsils don't need to be removed.

All bleeding spleens need to be removed.

Not all bleeding spleens need to be removed.

Opiates are bad.

Opiates are good.

Opiates are bad (again).

Lower BP in (acute) stroke.

Don't lower BP in stroke, became,

Lower BP in stroke (just not too much.)

Everyone needs a PSA checked.

Everyone doesn't need a PSA checked.

All women over 40 need a mammogram.

Not all women over 40 need a mammogram.

Steroids are good for brain injury became,

Steroids are bad for brain injury.

Steroids are good for spinal cord injury will become,

Steroids are ______ for spinal cord injury?

In the 80's sugar was bad, complex carbs were good.

Then carbs didn't matter, cholesterol was bad.

Then cholesterol wasn't so bad, fat was.

Then fat wasn't bad, only "bad" fat was bad (saturated) and "good" fat was good (unsaturated).

Then that reversed (then reversed back).

Then all carbs were bad, protein and fat became good.

Then a natural diet, raw foods like cavemen at is good, and sugar is the evil.

Wait, isn't that where we started?

When you really step back and look at the big picture we're no better than a heard of disorganized cats swaying back and forth trying to determine who, why, and which patients to blood let and apply leeches to, how much and for how long.

Moral of the story: practicing really bad Medicine, that's really bad for patients can make one look very smart, can be the expected standard, and doing the opposite can even be punishable (by medical boards, malpractice courts or criminal courts in the case of opiates). Just make sure you do it in the correct decade, along with the herd!

I hope aliens don't exist and never come to planet Earth because likely, they'll analyze us and call it as they see it, and say (insert alien accent):

"What we have here, is just another planet full of 7 billion idiots. Let's go home."

So the next time the paragod of the day stands up and tries to convince you he's smarter than the rest, stop to wonder if his or her great proclamation of the day may be the heresy of tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Aliens and Idiots

The further I get along in Medicine, not only do I realize the less I know, the more I realize the less anyone knows. If you look at medical standards over time, we're really a laughable bunch (but no less than anyone else).

Lowering cholesterol doesn't prevent heart disease (but not before Lipitor ranked as the countries #1 drug for years.)

Opiates are bad.

Opiates are good.

Opiates are bad (again).

Then fat wasn't bad, only "bad" fat was bad (saturated) and "good" fat was good (unsaturated).

When you really step back and look at the big picture we're no better than a heard of disorganized cats swaying back and forth trying to determine who, why, and which patients to blood let and apply leeches to, how much and for how long.

I hope aliens don't exist and never come to planet Earth because likely, they'll analyze us and call it as they see it, and say (insert alien accent):

"What we have here, is just another planet full of 7 billion idiots. Let's go home."

So the next time the paragod of the day stand up and tries to make convince you all he's smarter than the rest of you all, stop to wonder if his or her great proclamation of the day may be the heresy of tomorrow.
QFT

Sadly, I've had to maintain ACLS and BLS, but was able to let PALS lapse.

But, now I need it – or at least, some fake online equivalent – for credentialing again. Necro-Bump for sufficiently reputable online PALS course recommendations?

Google != recommendations
I mean, if all you care about it possession of the card, then you want the cheapest cost(price*hours). None of them are going to be any better than simply downloading the current guidelines and reading them, except that you holding up the paper with highlighted notes doesn't "count" for the c-suite.

Used advancemedicalcertification.com

Got a paper card in the mail with a coupon code "AMCCard20" that gives 20% off, bringing the cost of a useless but required merit badge to ~$100. I couldn't take advantage of the coupon, but if someone else needs it, there ya go.

Reactions: 1 users
Bump just b/c this is one the best posts ever.

What Would Aliens Think Of Us?

Opiates are bad.

Opiates are good.

Opiates are bad (again).

Moral of the story: practicing really bad Medicine, that's really bad for patients can make one look very smart, can be the expected standard, and doing the opposite can even be punishable (by medical boards, malpractice courts or criminal courts in the case of opiates). Just make sure you do it in the correct decade, along with the herd!

So the next time the paragod of the day stands up and tries to convince you he's smarter than the rest, stop to wonder if his or her great proclamation of the day may be the heresy of tomorrow.

@tkim:

Thanks for the PALS link! I just used your code (seems like the kind that can be used multiple times)

Def the entertaining necro bump. I wonder if anyone told that paragod that mg+ does nothing to break torsades when the patient is pulseless. Unstable vtach regardless of whether it is torsades or not= shock, then worry about the mag.

Used advancemedicalcertification.com

Got a paper card in the mail with a coupon code "AMCCard20" that gives 20% off, bringing the cost of a useless but required merit badge to ~$100. I couldn't take advantage of the coupon, but if someone else needs it, there ya go.

I got a coupon code AMCTribe16, use that and it will give you guys a FREE course! Never say nothing is free :p

We are boarded EM docs. We should Not ever have to take ACLS/PALS or IMO, even ATLS. That just craziness but you can't convince admin. SO just take the online class for 100 and be done. I take my acls/pals all online. Just click through, takes 15 min. Everyone is happy. Do I learn anything? absolutely not. But that like telling a surgeon that he has to recert to do an appy every 2 yrs. All Michael Jackson's fault.

With all due respect for the position you hold and the great work you perform in helping others... this is my humble opinion:

Some doctors, even ED doctors, don't know crap, and DO NEED to be certified in BLS, ACLS, and PALS, and that's the reason some hospital require it even if you are a super duper atomic ultra accomplished ED doctor! Do you want me to give an example? Here I go:

I'm myself a paramedic. I do almost whatever you do in the ED setting for a patient in cardiac arrest, but of course, in the back of a tiny ambulance and without the help of "20" nurses like you do:

I'm bringing a patient in refractory VF, turning into Pulseless VT, turning into Torsade de Pointes, back to VF... whatever...

2 super duper ultra ED MD's couldn't intubate the patient. They called the anesthesiologist, who was already ready to "cut his neck" (his words... the patient's neck, that is)...

Patient wasn't given Magnesium Sulfate for the Torsades UNTIL I suggested it!

Patient was defibrillated 15 times... Proper CPR was performed by me, and a nurse... The super duper ED doc didn't know how to do proper CPR (too shallow, not deep enough, too fast impeding recoiling of chest... all these little details you learn thanks to the AHA BLS and ACLS training)...

Then the patient went into sinus Brady... but it was PEA, no pulse... Patient was given Atropine, continue CPR...

AND THEN...

I suggested: "Why don't you give Dextrose?"...

Of course, I'm the "ambulance driver"... what do I know?

The resident goes "Dextrose??? For what???? Is the patient diabetic????"

The super duper anesthesiologist laughs at me and says sarcastically "after 3 doses of Epi what Dextrose is gonna do!"

I said "well, PEA! 5 H's and 5 T's! The heart needs fuel!"

The resident doc looked at me, felt stupid, and order the nurse "push D50"...

The nurse pushed D50... continue CPR, and EUREKAAAAA!!!!... After like about 2-3 minutes the patient REGAINED A PULSE!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
THIS IS TO TELL YOU THAT YES... YOU DO NEED REFRESHING YOUR KNOWLEDGE... YOU NEED PRACTICAL SKILLS, YOU NEED TO REVIEW WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW... AND THAT IS EXACTLY THE PURPOSE OF THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION BLS AND ACLS AND PALS COURSES....

If it weren't necessary, believe me, it wouldn't exist!

Thank you ;)

Yeah....that didn't happen.

We are boarded EM docs. We should Not ever have to take ACLS/PALS or IMO, even ATLS. That just craziness but you can't convince admin. SO just take the online class for 100 and be done. I take my acls/pals all online. Just click through, takes 15 min. Everyone is happy. Do I learn anything? absolutely not. But that like telling a surgeon that he has to recert to do an appy every 2 yrs. All Michael Jackson's fault.
Just doing what we are told instead of fighting for what is right is why EM is in the situation it's in currently. I'll pass. If they want to pull my privileges, there's 1,000s of other jobs out there. I ain't worried. And if it makes one person on the board, the med executive committee, or credentials committee take note, then it was worth it.

With all due respect for the position you hold and the great work you perform in helping others... this is my humble opinion:

Some doctors, even ED doctors, don't know crap, and DO NEED to be certified in BLS, ACLS, and PALS, and that's the reason some hospital require it even if you are a super duper atomic ultra accomplished ED doctor! Do you want me to give an example? Here I go:

I'm myself a paramedic. I do almost whatever you do in the ED setting for a patient in cardiac arrest, but of course, in the back of a tiny ambulance and without the help of "20" nurses like you do:

I'm bringing a patient in refractory VF, turning into Pulseless VT, turning into Torsade de Pointes, back to VF... whatever...

2 super duper ultra ED MD's couldn't intubate the patient. They called the anesthesiologist, who was already ready to "cut his neck" (his words... the patient's neck, that is)...

Patient wasn't given Magnesium Sulfate for the Torsades UNTIL I suggested it!

Patient was defibrillated 15 times... Proper CPR was performed by me, and a nurse... The super duper ED doc didn't know how to do proper CPR (too shallow, not deep enough, too fast impeding recoiling of chest... all these little details you learn thanks to the AHA BLS and ACLS training)...

Then the patient went into sinus Brady... but it was PEA, no pulse... Patient was given Atropine, continue CPR...

AND THEN...

I suggested: "Why don't you give Dextrose?"...

Of course, I'm the "ambulance driver"... what do I know?

The resident goes "Dextrose??? For what???? Is the patient diabetic????"

The super duper anesthesiologist laughs at me and says sarcastically "after 3 doses of Epi what Dextrose is gonna do!"

I said "well, PEA! 5 H's and 5 T's! The heart needs fuel!"

The resident doc looked at me, felt stupid, and order the nurse "push D50"...

The nurse pushed D50... continue CPR, and EUREKAAAAA!!!!... After like about 2-3 minutes the patient REGAINED A PULSE!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
THIS IS TO TELL YOU THAT YES... YOU DO NEED REFRESHING YOUR KNOWLEDGE... YOU NEED PRACTICAL SKILLS, YOU NEED TO REVIEW WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW... AND THAT IS EXACTLY THE PURPOSE OF THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION BLS AND ACLS AND PALS COURSES....

If it weren't necessary, believe me, it wouldn't exist!

Thank you ;)

6pLq81T.png

I got a coupon code AMCTribe16, use that and it will give you guys a FREE course! Never say nothing is free :p

Thanks for this.
My new hospital insisted on updated BLS and ACLS cards. I tried to argue the ABEM position against merit badges but the hospital said I either had to get them or not be credentialed.
Your coupon code cut the amount of money I wasted in half.