Achalasia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BirdBeak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give an informed recommendation for high volume centers or physicians performing dilation for achalasia?

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is not for medical advice.

Optimal treatment for achalasia depends on the patient's age and co-morbidities, and ranges from POEM, traditional heller myotomy, pneumatic dilation, and botox.

You can get a dilation almost anywhere, whereas POEM is a highly specialized endoscopic technique that is not routinely available. Botox can limit future efficacy of myotomy and is not recommended unless not a candidate for more definitive techniques.

I'm not seeking medical advice; what I would like is some options for high volume providers or institutions for dilation. I'm well aware of the different treatment options and indications. Is this disease so uncommon that nobody knows what the high volume institutions are?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not seeking medical advice; what I would like is some options for high volume providers or institutions for dilation. I'm well aware of the different treatment options and indications. Is this disease so uncommon that nobody knows what the high volume institutions are?

Maybe if you provided your region of the country. Otherwise the Japanese are the best, so book a flight.

Don't have an attitude with zero posts when you are asking for help.

This is really region specific. Cleveland Clinic in the midwest and Mayo Clinic are two off the top of my head that I know of who does POEM well. What region of the states are you looking for?

Is there no meaningful difference between centers in terms of LES dilation specifically for achalasia?
Let's assume travel is not an issue within the continental USA.

Is there no meaningful difference between centers in terms of LES dilation specifically for achalasia?
Let's assume travel is not an issue within the continental USA.

An achalasia pneumatic dilation is not a technically challenging procedure. It is however more aggressive than a standard balloon dilation. You would be best served having it done somewhat locally where you are otherwise getting your routine GI care for follow up. Having it done at a referral center with a multidisciplinary team that offers POEM, heller, etc typically best.