ACGME/AOA Residency Merger Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOitforDerm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Quick question: As far as I've understood from reading, ACGME Derm residencies have you match your intern year and derm residency at the same time whereas with AOA you have to match twice. After the merger, will the previously AOA residencies be merged programs, or will you still need to match separately?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

AOA Derm Program directors are given an option this year to match interns and/or 4th year medical students. I assume this is to allow for smoother transition into the ACGME match structure.

Unless the program is in Pre-accreditation status, it cannot participate in the 2018 match. There are only 15 last time I checked. Maybe couple more applications got in?

AOA Derm Program directors are given an option this year to match interns and/or 4th year medical students. I assume this is to allow for smoother transition into the ACGME match structure.

Unless the program is in Pre-accreditation status, it cannot participate in the 2018 match. There are only 15 last time I checked. Maybe couple more applications got in?

Wait are you saying as in they can let 4th year students know if they are accepted into derm?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If the residency program chooses to participate in matching 4th year medical students, then yes. So there are potentially 2 matches that will go on simultaneously. One for the 2018 positions and one for the 2019 positions within the AOA Derm Match. However, I do not know how many of the current DO Derm programs will participate in 4th year match

If the residency program chooses to participate in matching 4th year medical students, then yes. So there are potentially 2 matches that will go on simultaneously. One for the 2018 positions and one for the 2019 positions within the AOA Derm Match. However, I do not know how many of the current DO Derm programs will participate in 4th year match

So let's say I was interested in Derm in 2022 (well past the merger), will the programs at that point be matching 4th years instead?

So let's say I was interested in Derm in 2022 (well past the merger), will the programs at that point be matching 4th years instead?
There is no need for you to worry about that. You need connections, great board scores, top quartile in your class, and preferable a relative who is an influential dermatologist. As a future DO, your odds are long if you don't have the above by 2022

There is no need for you to worry about that. You need connections, great board scores, top quartile in your class, and preferable a relative who is an influential dermatologist. As a future DO, your odds are long if you don't have the above by 2022

Oh I know I'm getting way ahead of myself :) I'm just trying to understand how the process is going to change post-merger because it's already confusing in its current state and the merger added in the mix doesn't simplify anything.