Accepted to USMD as a Canadian; what to do about a visa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meccamputechture

'u '
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was only accepted a week ago and am still on cloud nine; sorry if these are dumb questions!

1) is the J1 vs H1b debate that I've seen so much about only for Canadian citizens seeking residency opportunities in the US?

2) If so, what kind of visa would I need if I'll be a US M1 in Fall 2017? How should I go about this/how long does the process typically take?

Thanks in advance, everyone. :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

No, the J1 vs h1b debate applies to anyone who doesn't have US permanent residency or citizenship.

As a US medical student, you will be a student, so you will be on an F1 student visa. Because you'll be a US medical graduate, you will be eligible for Optional Practical Training status in your intern year, during which time you will be eligible for your residency to apply for an h1b visa, if the GME allows it. Since OPT is not an option for many IMGs, that's why almost all end up on a j1.

You can get the F1 at the US border and it'll take about 30-60 minutes. Easy. The school will set it up.

If you want to stay in the US, go for the h1b. If you want to go back to canada or don't mind dealing with Health Canada beaurocracy then you can do J1 or H1b.

Reactions: 2 users
No, the J1 vs h1b debate applies to anyone who doesn't have US permanent residency or citizenship.

As a US medical student, you will be a student, so you will be on an F1 student visa. Because you'll be a US medical graduate, you will be eligible for Optional Practical Training status in your intern year, during which time you will be eligible for your residency to apply for an h1b visa, if the GME allows it. Since OPT is not an option for many IMGs, that's why almost all end up on a j1.

You can get the F1 at the US border and it'll take about 30-60 minutes. Easy. The school will set it up.

If you want to stay in the US, go for the h1b. If you want to go back to canada or don't mind dealing with Health Canada beaurocracy then you can do J1 or H1b.

Thank you for clearing this up for me! I really appreciate it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was only accepted a week ago and am still on cloud nine; sorry if these are dumb questions!

1) is the J1 vs H1b debate that I've seen so much about only for Canadian citizens seeking residency opportunities in the US?

2) If so, what kind of visa would I need if I'll be a US M1 in Fall 2017? How should I go about this/how long does the process typically take?

Thanks in advance, everyone. :)

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I think @PistolPete answered everything you need to know, but I will just say this: for residency, places would be much more likely to give you an H1-B due to your (1) US MD degree and (2) being Canadian. Congratulations (mind if I ask where?)

I think @PistolPete answered everything you need to know, but I will just say this: for residency, places would be much more likely to give you an H1-B due to your (1) US MD degree and (2) being Canadian. Congratulations (mind if I ask where?)

Thanks @bearintraining ! SUNY Upstate, just less than a month ago. I'm super excited to get started!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats - that's one of the places I got into as well. Really liked the friendliness of everyone there.

Thanks, and congrats on your acceptances last cycle as well! Though now that I'm reading Upstate's site, it's telling me that I don't even need a visa as a Canadian?

Canadian Students
Canadian students can attend school in the US without a visa. If your primary language is English, it is not a requirement to take a Test of English as a Foreign Language exam (TOEFL) or submit TSE scores. Please note that SUNY Upstate does not recognize results from the 13th year as credit toward admission. Canadian students may apply for loans from Provincial Canadian federal sources to attend SUNY Upstate.

http://www.upstate.edu/currentstudents/support/international/government.php

Looks like I just need to apply for an I-20 from Upstate, I guess.

Last edited:
Thanks, and congrats on your acceptances last cycle as well! Though now that I'm reading Upstate's site, it's telling me that I don't even need a visa as a Canadian?

http://www.upstate.edu/currentstudents/support/international/government.php

Looks like I just need to apply for an I-20 from Upstate, I guess.
They will fill out the I-20 for you and send it to you via courier. But yes you don't need a visa as a Canadian. The I-20 is essentially a F1 for Canadians.

To clarify, everyone on an F1 student visa has an I-20. It's just that people from overseas need an actual "visa stamp", whereas as a Canadian, you will not. The I-20 has to be signed every 6 months by the person in charge of international students.

You will get 12 months of OPT which you should save for internship year.

You guys have been incredibly helpful... it's quite confusing (and daunting, considering the many steps and many opportunities to mess things up) doing all of this when I haven't seriously considered the process before. Thank you @PistolPete @bearintraining !

Reactions: 1 user