Program-Specific Info / Q's Accepted into prestigious OTD program. Should I accept?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOT$$

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just got accepted into Rush University's OTD program. I really want to attend because I think the school is a perfect fit and is also very well known for its OT program. Moreover, there are no OTD's near where I currently live and I am interested in pursuing academia/research/leadership positions etc. in the field.

HOWEVERRR, if I attend the state school where I live, I will only pay about 60k for my degree (but it would be a master's). Rush, on the other hand, is and OTD but it would cost me the 100k tuition plus living expenses (since I wouldn't be living at home anymore).

Is the debt worth it? Could I get a leadership position with an MSOT? or do some research/teaching down the line with just the MSOT? I know I may need a PhD down the line if I want to conduct full research, but if I am correct, I think the OTD will allow me to do sufficient research for the time being.. at least until I decide if I want to go all out and be a PI etc..

100k plus living expenses is a lot! how much debt is the average OT student in? will I be able to pay these back? is it even worth it?!?! Should I settle for the MSOT at an average school or should I get my OTD at Rush (which also happens to have a renowned program)?

Any feedback would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hey, i'm a fellow future student, so take my opinions with a grain of salt

if you know you want the OTD, you can look into the post-professional OTD. Some schools that only offer an entry-level master's will also have a post-professional OTD, which can usually be completed in one year full time.

But knowing that you'll have the OTD from rush in 3 years is exciting, and definitely an offer to feel proud of regardless of what you choose!

So, point being, the OTD can definitely be obtained even if you go for the master's.

I was accepted to Rush University as well and I am facing a similar dilemma. I am coming from Oregon so I definitely understand your concerns with paying out of state tuition. I decided to accept and will be moving to Chicago in March to look for employment so that I can earn as much money as I can before the program starts. I do think the debt is worth the degree. They have about 100 scholarships listed on their website that you can apply for and make sure to fill out FAFSA. They did mention that they give out a lot of financial aid. The cost of Rush does worry me, but it is definitely more affordable than many other OTD programs so I am able to justify going there. If you decide to attend definitely reach out to me since we'll be future classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice: Get a calculator. find out the cost of the two programs. Compare contrast. Then look at NBCOT pass rates. Factor that in and choose the cheapest school when possible. OTD will not earn you a penny more for that increased amount of debt, remember to factor in that extra time not working, and paying tuition for that degree.

"Is the debt worth it? Could I get a leadership position with an MSOT? or do some research/teaching down the line with just the MSOT? I know I may need a PhD down the line if I want to conduct full research, but if I am correct, I think the OTD will allow me to do sufficient research for the time being.. at least until I decide if I want to go all out and be a PI etc.."

Schools are BETTING that people will say "sure why not just get that OTD". RE leadership, many/most of our management positions right now are filled with people who have BACHELORs degrees in OT. It is putting the cart before the horse to get a management degree, when you have zero experience.

I fail to see the benefits of an OTD as an entry level degree; please ask clinicians, I have yet to meet one who thinks its a good move. If you wish to become a Professor, scrap the entire OTD idea and pursue a PhD, and search for a researcher in OT or a related field who is working on an area you have interest in. You should also pursue as many possibilities for research and publishing in school.

IMO many students are having their legs pulled by schools marketing the benefits of the OTD.

Thanks for the advice! I know they have no added salary benefit. However, the entire reason I did not pursue a PhD to begin with is because I don't want to be tied down to just research. I want to practice as well. The OTD seems to let me do both, at least until I get experience and decide whether or not I like academia enough to then go ahead and pursue a PhD. I come from an R1 university and given the many labs I have worked in, the pressure to get grants and publish is VERY REAL, not to mention tenure track positions are anything but abundant. Getting a PhD would limit me to just that.. and that is not what I want.

Am I somewhat correct in my reasoning? Feedback from someone in the field is always appreciated so thanks again!

I was accepted to Rush University as well and I am facing a similar dilemma. I am coming from Oregon so I definitely understand your concerns with paying out of state tuition. I decided to accept and will be moving to Chicago in March to look for employment so that I can earn as much money as I can before the program starts. I do think the debt is worth the degree. They have about 100 scholarships listed on their website that you can apply for and make sure to fill out FAFSA. They did mention that they give out a lot of financial aid. The cost of Rush does worry me, but it is definitely more affordable than many other OTD programs so I am able to justify going there. If you decide to attend definitely reach out to me since we'll be future classmates!

Awesome! Congratulations! Yea, so far it seems like I may go. At this point I just want to make sure I am not making a giant mistake by choosing the much more expensive option. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the advice! I know they have no added salary benefit. However, the entire reason I did not pursue a PhD to begin with is because I don't want to be tied down to just research. I want to practice as well. The OTD seems to let me do both, at least until I get experience and decide whether or not I like academia enough to then go ahead and pursue a PhD. I come from an R1 university and given the many labs I have worked in, the pressure to get grants and publish is VERY REAL, not to mention tenure track positions are anything but abundant. Getting a PhD would limit me to just that.. and that is not what I want.

Am I somewhat correct in my reasoning? Feedback from someone in the field is always appreciated so thanks again!

I am literally in the same boat. I know I want to do research down the line, but still have the opportunity to practice, especially right out of school. I was just accepted into an OTD program beginning next fall. I want to go ahead and get the OTD done right away so I can practice right out of school, but potentially go back and teach to see if academia is where I want to focus energy.

The hardest thing for me to justify is knowing that I want to work with under-served populations in areas that may not be able to pay as much. My plan is to do a loan forgiveness program for 3-5-7 years after graduation to get as much paid off as possible, then relocate to the places I feel most passionate about (rural U.S.).

Another thing to consider, I think, is factoring in undergrad loans. I know for many people that is 20-40k on top of grad loans. I didn't take out any loans in undergrad, so I know that that isn't something I will have to worry about, but may be a deciding factor for some people.

Thanks for posting this thread. It is nice to know that other people have the same concerns.

I am literally in the same boat. I know I want to do research down the line, but still have the opportunity to practice, especially right out of school. I was just accepted into an OTD program beginning next fall. I want to go ahead and get the OTD done right away so I can practice right out of school, but potentially go back and teach to see if academia is where I want to focus energy.

The hardest thing for me to justify is knowing that I want to work with under-served populations in areas that may not be able to pay as much. My plan is to do a loan forgiveness program for 3-5-7 years after graduation to get as much paid off as possible, then relocate to the places I feel most passionate about (rural U.S.).

Another thing to consider, I think, is factoring in undergrad loans. I know for many people that is 20-40k on top of grad loans. I didn't take out any loans in undergrad, so I know that that isn't something I will have to worry about, but may be a deciding factor for some people.

Thanks for posting this thread. It is nice to know that other people have the same concerns.
Congratulations!

Luckily, I don't have any loans from undergrad!

I have heard about loan forgiveness as well, but if I am being honest, I have no idea how it works, or how likely it is that I can get loan forgiveness after school?

Congratulations!

Luckily, I don't have any loans from undergrad!

I have heard about loan forgiveness as well, but if I am being honest, I have no idea how it works, or how likely it is that I can get loan forgiveness after school?

Loan forgiveness (if it will still be around in the future) requires you to work at ANY non profit institution for 120 months (do not need to be consecutive or at the same employer).
You must make minimum income adjusted payments. After doing so your remaining student debt is discharged, and the amount dischared is added to your "earned income" for the year (aka it is taxable). If you do not have a large amount of debt the program makes little sense since you would likely pay your debt off in 10 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Note: Is it your desire to be a regular clinician? If so look at OT like you look at a nursing degree: go to the cheapest school you can find, with decent pass rates for the NBCOT. Where you go to school will not affect your employment prospects or pay. If you are seeking a career in academia you should chase down research opportunities and consider a PhD.

OT is not law. Where you go doesn't impact you as much as schools will have you believe. That being said, you have to follow what you think is right for YOU. :) I strongly encourage all of you considering a doctorate program to speak with CLINICIANS in the field and ask them what they think. The resounding majority don't see the utility of it, but get out there and ask for advice, instead of the echo chamber of students talking to one another.

Hi Guys,

I just got accepted into Rush University's OTD program. I really want to attend because I think the school is a perfect fit and is also very well known for its OT program. Moreover, there are no OTD's near where I currently live and I am interested in pursuing academia/research/leadership positions etc. in the field.

HOWEVERRR, if I attend the state school where I live, I will only pay about 60k for my degree (but it would be a master's). Rush, on the other hand, is and OTD but it would cost me the 100k tuition plus living expenses (since I wouldn't be living at home anymore).

Is the debt worth it? Could I get a leadership position with an MSOT? or do some research/teaching down the line with just the MSOT? I know I may need a PhD down the line if I want to conduct full research, but if I am correct, I think the OTD will allow me to do sufficient research for the time being.. at least until I decide if I want to go all out and be a PI etc..

100k plus living expenses is a lot! how much debt is the average OT student in? will I be able to pay these back? is it even worth it?!?! Should I settle for the MSOT at an average school or should I get my OTD at Rush (which also happens to have a renowned program)?

Any feedback would be great!

Rush is a great school, however living expenses in Chicago are quite expensive. Anywhere from $800-$1200 a month I would say, depending on if you live alone or with roommates. So that's an additional $26,000 - $40,000 to consider if you live in Chicago for the whole duration of the program. Cook County taxes are also ridiculously high....

A lot of individuals I've talked to lately have stated that it does not really matter where you get your degree from, you still end up with the same job. My suggestion is to make a pro/con list for each school. Just go with your gut! It's a hard decision to make but just do what you think is best for you.

Once again, if I choose to pursue the OTD it is not because of salary or anything related to clinical work, since from my understanding there is no differentiation between the two degrees at that level. If I choose the OTD it would be more because it might open doors into other fields, such as academia, even before I get a PhD (assuming I enjoy academia enough to pursue one down the line).

Plus, Rush has the added benefit of all the great connections I would make AND 100% of their graduates are employed within 3 months.

First and foremost, congratulations on your acceptance! The tuition difference plus cost of living in Chicago / Cook County can be difficult to justify when you have other more economical options available to you. However, Rush is a great university to help you form connections in the field. While networking is important in terms of securing future employment, you can form close relationships with faculty and practitioners during your Level 1 and 2 Fieldwork, regardless of which university you attend. Just be aggressive and seek out whatever research and volunteer opportunities are available to you. Additionally, because the job market is so saturated, you should have no problem being employed after graduation, regardless of where your degree is from. Congrats again, and best of luck in your decision making process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Once again, if I choose to pursue the OTD it is not because of salary or anything related to clinical work, since from my understanding there is no differentiation between the two degrees at that level. If I choose the OTD it would be more because it might open doors into other fields, such as academia, even before I get a PhD (assuming I enjoy academia enough to pursue one down the line).

Plus, Rush has the added benefit of all the great connections I would make AND 100% of their graduates are employed within 3 months.

I think you really want to go to Rush, which is great! If that's what makes you happy, I say go for it.

One thing to consider with getting an OTD right away is - do you really know what you want to research and specify in? It can be hard to figure this out as a student. I think it may be much easier to figure out what type of research you want to do after you have been working in the field for awhile and can see what you are passionate about and where there are really gaps in OT knowledge. There are many OTD post-professional programs, so don't feel as if you can't go back later. Additionally, if you completed only the master's, then afterwards you could really decide if it would be better for your academic career to go with an OTD or PhD. I can tell you that all the tenured faculty at my program had PhDs. I actually also did some research in my master's level program, so it's not as if you won't be able to start getting your feet wet at that level. Depends on the program though. Just some things to think about, but it sounds like you kind of already know what you want, so you do you!

Last edited:
I completely have sympathy for you on this! I just submitted my tuition deposit to Rush but I'm stressing about how I'm going to pay for it.

I've been feeling frustrated throughout the application process that so many programs are completely replacing their MS programs with it instead of offering students a choice. Personally, I am not convinced that the OTD really gives entry-level clinicians an edge, but ultimately if the choice is between an OTD program or no program at all, most folks are going to take the offer (including me!).

I would say don't sweat it too much. You are in a super enviable position to be able to choose between two programs, so remember to pat yourself on the back and BREATHE! Either way you'll be graduating with a basically recession-proof degree, and if you feel the siren call of research later in your career, you can always return to earn a PhD.

I think you really want to go to Rush, which is great! If that's what makes you happy, I say go for it.

One thing to consider with getting an OTD right away is - do you really know what you want to research and specify in? It can be hard to figure this out as a student. I think it may be much easier to figure out what type of research you want to do after you have been working in the field for awhile and can see what you are passionate about and where there are really gaps in OT knowledge. There are many OTD post-professional programs, so don't feel as if you can't go back later. Additionally, if you completed only the master's, then afterwards you could really decide if it would be better for your academic career to go with an OTD or PhD. I can tell you that all the tenured faculty at my program had PhDs. I actually also did some research in my master's level program, so it's not as if you won't be able to start getting your feet wet at that level. Depends on the program though. Just some things to think about, but it sounds like you kind of already know what you want, so you do you!

I agree. I would definitely need a PhD if I sought a tenured track position. As for research, I am interested in neuro. I did quite a bit of research during undergrad (few labs and conference presentations), so I do know more or less what I would pursue. I am not only passionate about it, but think it ties in well with OT.

As for Rush, I definitely want to go! It is a great opportunity. However, at the end of the day, I think it is best for me to stay grounded and be realistic about how much debt I would be getting into when making my decision. *sigh*

Does anyone happen to know how much debt the average OT student ends up with? and whether they have trouble paying it back in the future?

1. If you are interested in being a clinician - get out there and ask clinicians in the field. I am confident you will hear what I have heard and seen from directors of rehab: No one cares what school you went to, what your GPA was, or if you have a OTD, BS or MS. It matters most what level of experience you have, what type of experience you have, and what personality you have as to your salary and employability. Many undergraduates are intoxicated by the rules of the game we played previously: GPA, rankings, and degree titles. That's not how it works. This isn't law school.

2. If you want to go down the academia route I strongly suggest you get a MS in OT while you still can (people in the future will ENVY you for not needing a OTD). Find a school with good pass rates on the NBCOT, with qualified faculty, and get excellent research credentials and references by participating in research opportunities. Network. Get experience as a clinician. Start to guest lecture for free as a clinician who visits the university circuit. People do this to get their foot in the door. You can get a academic job with "just" a MS, in fact, nearly all of my professors had MS's and I went to a "1st tier" OT program. Once you get your adjunct job at a university they will PAY for you to go back and get a PhD. A real doctorate in research. You could also go back and get a MPH etc.

3. Leadership: My CI was the director of rehab at a globally ranked hospital here in the US, it's a prestigious place for whatever that is worth. He had a BS. In fact nearly all DOR's I have met have BS's. What I have noticed is that they have certain personality traits and experience that have tracked them into leadership positions. I don't think the degree has a significant impact on who is chosen to be a DOR.

I strongly suggest you contact people IN The field to hear their views instead of hearing things in the echo chamber here. There are a lot of inexperienced people who are easily wowed by an alphabet soup after a name, that's not what you need in our field. I am not saying the OTD is a worthless degree! The OTD is a degree which until recently was exclusively for those with a lot of experience, who wanted to learn about integrating research into a clinical setting. Seasoned OTs were going down this route. It is not really an entry level degree, getting an OTD without any experience makes hardly any sense to me. It makes even LESS sense if your intention is to head down the academic route.

My advice is to find the cheapest program you can get into with the highest NBCOT pass rates. What do you call a doctor who went to a lower tier Medical School? A rich doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
1. If you are interested in being a clinician - get out there and ask clinicians in the field. I am confident you will hear what I have heard and seen from directors of rehab: No one cares what school you went to, what your GPA was, or if you have a OTD, BS or MS. It matters most what level of experience you have, what type of experience you have, and what personality you have as to your salary and employability. Many undergraduates are intoxicated by the rules of the game we played previously: GPA, rankings, and degree titles. That's not how it works. This isn't law school.

2. If you want to go down the academia route I strongly suggest you get a MS in OT while you still can (people in the future will ENVY you for not needing a OTD). Find a school with good pass rates on the NBCOT, with qualified faculty, and get excellent research credentials and references by participating in research opportunities. Network. Get experience as a clinician. Start to guest lecture for free as a clinician who visits the university circuit. People do this to get their foot in the door. You can get a academic job with "just" a MS, in fact, nearly all of my professors had MS's and I went to a "1st tier" OT program. Once you get your adjunct job at a university they will PAY for you to go back and get a PhD. A real doctorate in research. You could also go back and get a MPH etc.

3. Leadership: My CI was the director of rehab at a globally ranked hospital here in the US, it's a prestigious place for whatever that is worth. He had a BS. In fact nearly all DOR's I have met have BS's. What I have noticed is that they have certain personality traits and experience that have tracked them into leadership positions. I don't think the degree has a significant impact on who is chosen to be a DOR.

I strongly suggest you contact people IN The field to hear their views instead of hearing things in the echo chamber here. There are a lot of inexperienced people who are easily wowed by an alphabet soup after a name, that's not what you need in our field. I am not saying the OTD is a worthless degree! The OTD is a degree which until recently was exclusively for those with a lot of experience, who wanted to learn about integrating research into a clinical setting. Seasoned OTs were going down this route. It is not really an entry level degree, getting an OTD without any experience makes hardly any sense to me. It makes even LESS sense if your intention is to head down the academic route.

My advice is to find the cheapest program you can get into with the highest NBCOT pass rates. What do you call a doctor who went to a lower tier Medical School? A rich doctor.

Okay so you pretty much answered the question I posed in the other thread on this topic - I was wondering what your thoughts were on the post-professional OTD. It seems that you're mostly advising against the degree for those heading into OT school, not so much for practicing OTs who want to further their knowledge/enhance the field/hone their skills, yes?

Okay so you pretty much answered the question I posed in the other thread on this topic - I was wondering what your thoughts were on the post-professional OTD. It seems that you're mostly advising against the degree for those heading into OT school, not so much for practicing OTs who want to further their knowledge/enhance the field/hone their skills, yes?

I think the OTD can be a very useful degree, depending on what your position is. I think that most people who get that degree have been selected for a management track due to demonstrating the personality traits, work ethic, and experience they carry with them. I am not sure if the OTD is ever paid for by your emplpoyers, but I am pretty sure many employers will offer some kind of partial tuition assistance to getting that degree if they request it of you. That is something to think about when you look for jobs. I think it is putting the cart before the horse to get a degree you don't need to be an OT, with the expectation that you will for sure be a management candidate. As an entry level clinician you do not NEED a management degree; you have no experience. Further, you do not need an OTD even for management positions; most management I have encountered "only" have bachelor's degrees. I won't say that the degree is "useless" it's useful when it serves a purpose, and you have a goal lined up to justify the lost revenue, extra debt incurred, and countless studying hours for those letters after your name. Some people think the degree will "wow" their coworkers or DORs, or that you will be called "doctor". That will never happen. We had a DPT who insisted his patients call him "doctor" and the director of reha called him into his office and laughed at the idea. He doesn't make more than any other staff members, yet he does have a significant amount more debt.

The path to academia is not traditionally through an OTD, it is as I outlined for you above. The path to being a clinician, and eventually ending up in management is not expedited by having an OTD, rather, SOME employers MAY be pleased to see you further your education IF you have been selected to go down management track by perhaps getting an OTD. I do not see any justification for an entry level candidate to willingly spend more money to get an OTD at this time. DO it smart: incur the least debt you can by getting into the cheapest OT school you can with GOOD NBCOT pass rates and faculty. The latter two stats go together. A school with high NBCOT pass rates will have pretty good teachers. Please scan the list of faculty at these schools, you will note that there are many PhDs and MS's but scant number of OTDs on faculty lists. There is a reason for that.

Save your money. Your budget in the future will thank you. No hiring manager will care what your GPA was, what school you went to, or if you have a OTD or MS. Experience, personality and competence as well as initiative are what count in our field.

Caution: These are the views of me, one person. You may think that the OTD is justified. Go for it. You may not have major concerns about incurring extra debt, or you may be wealthy - go for it! I am not "trashing" the OTD, rather, I am giving my personal perspective on it. For some of you who think you have "no other option" but to go to an OT program which will land you 100k+ in debt (e.g. St Augustine Univ, or for Profit schools) you need to look yourself in the mirror and ask if you can handle 100-150k in debt on top of your future life: a mortgage, a car payment, or having kids. It's not worth it. Find other schools which cost less, and if it means you need to beg them to get in, re-take pre-reqs at a community college, or find schools which only evaluate your last 40-60 credit hours then DO THAT. Do not end up in a mountain of debt for prestige, the "name of a school" or the feeling that you have no other options. It's just not worth it.

Ask other clinicians. Hear what they think. Make the decision that works best for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree. I would definitely need a PhD if I sought a tenured track position. As for research, I am interested in neuro. I did quite a bit of research during undergrad (few labs and conference presentations), so I do know more or less what I would pursue. I am not only passionate about it, but think it ties in well with OT.

As for Rush, I definitely want to go! It is a great opportunity. However, at the end of the day, I think it is best for me to stay grounded and be realistic about how much debt I would be getting into when making my decision. *sigh*

Does anyone happen to know how much debt the average OT student ends up with? and whether they have trouble paying it back in the future?

That's great that you already know what area you're interested in! That's half the battle right there and will make it that much easier in school for you as you pick out projects and things related to your interests.

Since you mentioned being realistic as regards to costs, debt, etc. I'll have to side with @occupationalguy on this one and many of the things others have posted already about tuition cost, perceived "prestige", salary as a clinician, etc. Personally I don't think it's worth it for you to spend more money at this juncture and I would have loved to have gone to a cheaper OT school than I did. To add to that, if you do well in a master's level program and then decide to go back for your OTD or PhD, you may be able to land funding either through your employer or through the school itself (many schools pay their competitive PhD students in free tuition and small stipends in return for research, teaching, etc.).

To put it into more concrete terms: 100k-150k in debt and you are looking at a $1200-$1500 monthly payment on your student loans once you start working. (Obviously would go up the more you have to take out for living costs, etc.) Are you ready to give up that much of your income to pay off your student loans when you could have gone to a cheaper school and still landed the same job with the same salary? If you or your family have the money to pay the tuition outright that's another story - then I'd say do what makes you happy. But take out the calculator and figure out how much it's going to cost you and really think about your quality of life after school is all said and done. That's my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you choose, I know we all have personal factors in our decision that make what seems like the obvious choice for some of us not the right choice for others of us.

I agree with Occupational Therapy Guy. I would pick the cheaper school. If you really want the Doctorate degree you can complete it online while you are working and making $$$$.

I think the OTD can be a very useful degree, depending on what your position is. I think that most people who get that degree have been selected for a management track due to demonstrating the personality traits, work ethic, and experience they carry with them. I am not sure if the OTD is ever paid for by your emplpoyers, but I am pretty sure many employers will offer some kind of partial tuition assistance to getting that degree if they request it of you. That is something to think about when you look for jobs. I think it is putting the cart before the horse to get a degree you don't need to be an OT, with the expectation that you will for sure be a management candidate. As an entry level clinician you do not NEED a management degree; you have no experience. Further, you do not need an OTD even for management positions; most management I have encountered "only" have bachelor's degrees. I won't say that the degree is "useless" it's useful when it serves a purpose, and you have a goal lined up to justify the lost revenue, extra debt incurred, and countless studying hours for those letters after your name. Some people think the degree will "wow" their coworkers or DORs, or that you will be called "doctor". That will never happen. We had a DPT who insisted his patients call him "doctor" and the director of reha called him into his office and laughed at the idea. He doesn't make more than any other staff members, yet he does have a significant amount more debt.

The path to academia is not traditionally through an OTD, it is as I outlined for you above. The path to being a clinician, and eventually ending up in management is not expedited by having an OTD, rather, SOME employers MAY be pleased to see you further your education IF you have been selected to go down management track by perhaps getting an OTD. I do not see any justification for an entry level candidate to willingly spend more money to get an OTD at this time. DO it smart: incur the least debt you can by getting into the cheapest OT school you can with GOOD NBCOT pass rates and faculty. The latter two stats go together. A school with high NBCOT pass rates will have pretty good teachers. Please scan the list of faculty at these schools, you will note that there are many PhDs and MS's but scant number of OTDs on faculty lists. There is a reason for that.

Save your money. Your budget in the future will thank you. No hiring manager will care what your GPA was, what school you went to, or if you have a OTD or MS. Experience, personality and competence as well as initiative are what count in our field.

Caution: These are the views of me, one person. You may think that the OTD is justified. Go for it. You may not have major concerns about incurring extra debt, or you may be wealthy - go for it! I am not "trashing" the OTD, rather, I am giving my personal perspective on it. For some of you who think you have "no other option" but to go to an OT program which will land you 100k+ in debt (e.g. St Augustine Univ, or for Profit schools) you need to look yourself in the mirror and ask if you can handle 100-150k in debt on top of your future life: a mortgage, a car payment, or having kids. It's not worth it. Find other schools which cost less, and if it means you need to beg them to get in, re-take pre-reqs at a community college, or find schools which only evaluate your last 40-60 credit hours then DO THAT. Do not end up in a mountain of debt for prestige, the "name of a school" or the feeling that you have no other options. It's just not worth it.

Ask other clinicians. Hear what they think. Make the decision that works best for you.

I am considering attending a school that is cheaper (52,000 total) but just passed the first step in accreditation (Walsh University). They are accepting their first cohort this cycle. What are your thoughts on attending an OT school that just passed the first step in the accreditation cycle?

I am considering attending a school that is cheaper (52,000 total) but just passed the first step in accreditation (Walsh University). They are accepting their first cohort this cycle. What are your thoughts on attending an OT school that just passed the first step in the accreditation cycle?

I understand your hesitation. Walsh University is a credible place, right? It's a non profit institution with a reputation? If the program is accredited and the Univ. has a reputation for stability (unlike for profit fly by night deals) I can't imagine the program would shut down midway through your program. You won't have NBCOT pass rates to run off of for guidance, and there may be some bumpyness for them establishing a program from scratch. That said 52k total is a DEAL for an OT degree. I would look into the background of the faculty they have hired, and find out more about them. Speak with the director of the program to get a feeling for her or his leadership style.

"Prestige" is not a term I personally care much about when it comes to an OT degree, but I understand why there is some hesitation when you have NO Nbcot pass rates to go by. That said I'd do my research and ultimately go for it if I felt the program was on stable footing. The OP should definitely avoid paying for "prestige" and go for a savings in the pocket book. No one should be in more debt becuase they want another letter after their last name. I often hear people here talking abt 6 figure OT debt - from places like St Augustine - that's the same as a degree from Columbia University. For what? To be an OT???? Why pay that much when perfectly good state schools are there which you can find a way to squeeze your way into! If I could do it, so could you guys!

Rush is a great school, however I think it is important to note that most programs will have 100% of students employed within 3 months. Most of my class is getting offers before even passing the NBCOT. It isn't a question in most markets of where you graduate from, or who your contacts are: there is a shortage in most markets for OT's. We all get jobs. The question is: how happy are you with the setting, the management, the working conditions at that job, and of course the PAY.

We all get jobs. Quoting Oprah: YOU get a job! You Get a job! You get a job!

You get the idea ;)

Hey guys! Thank you so much for all the input. I am waiting to hear back from a few other programs, and then from financial aid to go ahead and make my final decision.. but I think I will likely go with what makes most sense financially.

Special thanks to @occupationalguy for providing me with honest and endless knowledge on the topic and to @OldHopeful for the loan calculator. It is far better than most out there!

Hey guys! Thank you so much for all the input. I am waiting to hear back from a few other programs, and then from financial aid to go ahead and make my final decision.. but I think I will likely go with what makes most sense financially.

Special thanks to @occupationalguy for providing me with honest and endless knowledge on the topic and to @OldHopeful for the loan calculator. It is far better than most out there!

No problem. You gotta do what is best for you. If Rush is where it's at, then that's where it's at. You weigh the situation: costs, benefits, enrichment, etc. There is no answer except from yourself. Everyone has a different perspective, and I truly wish you the best of luck!

Hello OT experts and aspiring OTD's!

I have been burdened with a less than terrible situation, where I need to choose between 2 OTD programs. I know how lucky I am to even get into one, but that makes it all the more difficult to make a decision. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from third parties on my decision. I thought I would make a pros/cons of both schools and maybe get some advice from people in the field to see what categories should be weighted upon more heavily.

Belmont University OTD
pros: Fully accredited
- in Nashville (fun area next to vanderbilt)
-Gorgeous campus/facilities
-I really enjoyed the students that I met there and the professors. I got a good feeling from them.
-Reputable program (I think so at least)
-Established curriculum
-Small class size (32)
-I don't need to take Child development this Summer

Cons:
-No scholarship opportunities (only small book things)
-They seem to focus on assistive technology, I'm just not that passionate about that.
- the Doctoral Experiential Component has to be completed in Nashville. So a little less flexibility
-Not as many job opportunities in the area in comparison to Chicago
-Very expensive
-they seem to require service experiences, volunteering. (I love volunteering but I only like to do it when I choose it.)
-religious tendencies (I am just not very religious and that was my first impression)

Midwestern University OTD, Downers Grove, Ill campus
Pros:
-They have a $15000 scholarship for going into school Mental health, which is what I want to do
- Their program focus seems to be more mental health/pediatrics
-Proximity to my family (8 hours away)
-They are very flexible when it comes to fieldwork/doctoral project. They told me basically anything I want to do, I can do it, and anywhere.
-Lots of opportunities in the Chicago area ( I think at least)

Cons:
-I'd have to live in the suburbs of chicago (I'm a 27 year old single female). I'm worried about being surrounded by married people with families. I'm just in a different place in life.
-Chicago area is more expensive to live than Nashville
-They are ONLY in candicacy status. THIS IS THE THING i AM MOST WORRIED ABOUT. Although they did have an accredited masters program, this will be the first Doctoral class to go through the program. Subsequently, I think there will be some growing pains with the rolling out of a new curriculum.
-Also very expensive haha... I just can't win on that front.
-I would need to take a class this summer (another $500)

Does anyone have any advice for my decision. I would greatly appreciate any and all help on the matter.

Also.... To comment on the thread above this. I don't think going into OTD is smart for people that don't have any work experience. I know that I want to create a new program in Nebraska and I know the population that it will apply to. A component of OTD is the specialization/additional course work in evaluating/creating programs. Money is obviously something to be considered! But there is a loan option of paying 15% of your AGI, which even with $150k loans will only be about $500 a month. If you choose to work in public service, this would be forgiven in 10 years. That means you would only end up paying about 60k and the rest is forgiven. Of course this is not the route if you are trying to be a millionare. But if you are making 65k or 75k (which is even on the low end for OT's) you can still have a livable wage with a good life/work balance. ...Just my 2 cents! :)

Again...could really use some advice :/

I have been burdened with a less than terrible situation, where I need to choose between 2 OTD programs. I know how lucky I am to even get into one, but that makes it all the more difficult to make a decision. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from third parties on my decision. I thought I would make a pros/cons of both schools and maybe get some advice from people in the field to see what categories should be weighted upon more heavily.

Belmont University OTD
-I really enjoyed the students that I met there and the professors. I got a good feeling from them.
-Established curriculum
-Small class size (32)

Cons:
-They seem to focus on assistive technology, I'm just not that passionate about that.
- the Doctoral Experiential Component has to be completed in Nashville. So a little less flexibility
-Very expensive
-they seem to require service experiences, volunteering. (I love volunteering but I only like to do it when I choose it.)
-religious tendencies (I am just not very religious and that was my first impression)

Pros:
-They have a $15000 scholarship for going into school Mental health, which is what I want to do
-They are very flexible when it comes to fieldwork/doctoral project. They told me basically anything I want to do, I can do it, and anywhere.

Cons:
-I'd have to live in the suburbs of chicago (I'm a 27 year old single female). I'm worried about being surrounded by married people with families. I'm just in a different place in life.
-They are ONLY in candicacy status. THIS IS THE THING i AM MOST WORRIED ABOUT. Although they did have an accredited masters program, this will be the first Doctoral class to go through the program. Subsequently, I think there will be some growing pains with the rolling out of a new curriculum.

Does anyone have any advice for my decision. I would greatly appreciate any and all help on the matter.

Also.... To comment on the thread above this. I don't think going into OTD is smart for people that don't have any work experience. I know that I want to create a new program in Nebraska and I know the population that it will apply to. A component of OTD is the specialization/additional course work in evaluating/creating programs. Money is obviously something to be considered! But there is a loan option of paying 15% of your AGI, which even with $150k loans will only be about $500 a month. If you choose to work in public service, this would be forgiven in 10 years. That means you would only end up paying about 60k and the rest is forgiven. Of course this is not the route if you are trying to be a millionare. But if you are making 65k or 75k (which is even on the low end for OT's) you can still have a livable wage with a good life/work balance. ...Just my 2 cents! :)

Hello there. I can definitely see the issues you are having that seems like a very touch choice. However, it is kinda wonderful that you get to make such a choice in my opinion. I think in the end if the decision where up to me I would probably choose the accredited program over the non-accredited program. I was going to ask what both schools have for graduation rate and board pass rate but since the one is not accredited it won't help. All I know is that I myself would attend the school I know is going to get me my licence because they are accredited. But in the end it is your decision. I wish you luck and congratulations!

Belmont University OTD
-Established curriculum
-Small class size (32)

Cons:
-Very expensive

Pros:

Cons:

I was born and raised in Nashville, Belmont is a great school but your correct it is supper expensive and if you are looking to live around the school you wont find anything cheap..unless your okay living in the hood but that's still a gamble also traffic is the worst thing ever lol, but the school seems to be great. Id always go for the one that's accredited. (When it comes to graduate degrees they are a lot less into the religion part which is nice).

So I actually had to make the exact same decision! I ended up picking Midwestern. I felt they had more of what I was looking for in regards to mental health, and clinical outreach programs. I also liked the flexibility and job opportunities in Chicago. I also was worried about their candidacy status but they have a staff member on the certifying board which is helpful. And I also felt that Midwestern had a better explanation of what to expect with their OTD program as compared to Belmont. I felt I was going to receive a more well rounded education and that Midwestern focused more on my individual short term and long term goals. So I think you really need to think about which school addresses your goals.

Belmont University OTD
-Established curriculum
-Small class size (32)

Cons:
-Very expensive

Pros:

Cons:

I can't comment on much of your decision, but I will say that the Chicago burbs are not as bad as all married folks with kids. There are TONS of married people with children, but I also have plenty of not married/no kids friends here, too! (I live near Midwestern.) The city is obviously more diverse in fun stuff, but there are cool things to do/ places to be in the burbs- just takes some effort to find. I would highly recommend trying to live walking distance from a Metra station if you want easy (but, unfortunately, not super fast) access to the city.

I can't comment on much of your decision, but I will say that the Chicago burbs are not as bad as all married folks with kids. There are TONS of married people with children, but I also have plenty of not married/no kids friends here, too! (I live near Midwestern.) The city is obviously more diverse in fun stuff, but there are cool things to do/ places to be in the burbs- just takes some effort to find. I would highly recommend trying to live walking distance from a Metra station if you want easy (but, unfortunately, not super fast) access to the city.

-Thanks!

So I actually had to make the exact same decision! I ended up picking Midwestern. I felt they had more of what I was looking for in regards to mental health, and clinical outreach programs. I also liked the flexibility and job opportunities in Chicago. I also was worried about their candidacy status but they have a staff member on the certifying board which is helpful. And I also felt that Midwestern had a better explanation of what to expect with their OTD program as compared to Belmont. I felt I was going to receive a more well rounded education and that Midwestern focused more on my individual short term and long term goals. So I think you really need to think about which school addresses your goals.

-That is incredible that you had the same decision to make! Small OT world :) I appreciate your input.

Also, just curious. Are you taking out the full cost of the program out in loans? I just don't know how many people are doing the same thing as I am!

Also, just curious. Are you taking out the full cost of the program out in loans? I just don't know how many people are doing the same thing as I am!
I am going to take the full cost in loans yes. I am lucky and have no undergrad loans which makes it more bareable. I'm also hoping to get that 15,000$ stipen as I'm very interested in the mental health. Also the starting salary for OTs in Chicago is around 80-90K so I know that eventually I'll be able to pay it out and it will all be worth it in the end!

Anyone interested in OT mental health should look into it before electing for an OT degree. Investigate the trends in our field. I have heard - though I do not have stats to back this up - that OT mental health jobs are few and far between and becoming fewer and further between. They kept hammering it into me in my program that mental health reimbursment for OT services is slip slip slipping.

I would ask around.

Anyone interested in OT mental health should look into it before electing for an OT degree. Investigate the trends in our field. I have heard - though I do not have stats to back this up - that OT mental health jobs are few and far between and becoming fewer and further between. They kept hammering it into me in my program that mental health reimbursment for OT services is slip slip slipping.

I would ask around.
I will say I have worked in the mental health field (inpatient, outpatient, research) in someway for the last 8 years and I had nooooo clue there were even opportunities for OTs in the field. I agree with your recommendation... do your research before committing!

I would ask around.

Licensed counselor here. There are outlier states like Oregon, where they are desperate for OTs on their clinical care teams. OTs can even legally diagnose mental health disorders there. So if you're deeply interested in mental health OT, OR might be the place for you.

Generally, however, I believe that there are declining opportunities for OTs to get involved with mental health because there are declining opportunities in mental health. It comes down to politics and funding. Which is, interestingly, another reason I am getting out of my field and getting into OT. Also another reason why I am doing OT instead of psychology - even though I am interested in cognitive neuroscience and working with mental health populations.

Evidence-based practice is the new standard for any type of funding. Basically...can you show that you are going to save or make a lot of money? Mental health research doesn't fit easily into the outcomes driven model as, shocker, people are unpredictable. Treating behavior is not as straightforward as mending a broken arm. I know that for a fact many states are slashing their already skimpy mental health budget in upcoming years based on "outcomes failures". OT job openings and average pay are now consistently higher than those of licensed psychologists. I believe that is because OT does a better job of working with variables that can be

So that leaves countless psychologists, mental health counselors, clinical social workers, and anyone else working in mental health who does not prescribe with a rapidly diminishing funding pool. The field is completely inundated with a vast number of PhDs, PsyDs, whathave you all scrambling for the same resources.

What does that mean on the ground level, for OTs trying to get into mental health? There are just fewer resources to invest in bringing OTs onto mental health teams. Plus, mental health professionals are going to want to edge out competition (certain ones have a known history of edging out others with extensive lobbying efforts so they are very capable). Which is really really unfortunate as I fully believe that OT is an invaluable resource for those with mental health conditions.

So, yes, never underestimate the power of politics. However, I do know a pediatric occupational therapist that opened her own practice to focus on ADHD and ASD. She works on mental health issues, but bills at the OT rate. Her practice is so successful that she has hired a team of 6 full-time OTs and OTAs to help her handle the caseload. So I think there are ways it can be done it if you are willing to go outside the box. :)

Gonna bump this. Have very much appreciated occupationalguy and co.'s advice about expensive OTD programs. I'm just going to rant out my situation. Would certainly love to get some perspectives although I know I'm echoing a lot of similar concerns to other posters.

I was unable to apply to my local state school's OT program, University of Washington, this last cycle due to an outstanding prerequisite. Currently I've accepted an offer from Washington University in St. Louis. I am so impressed with their program, their professors, and the quality of the education they provide. I'm very interested in academia/research, so the unique opportunities they provide in terms of being published, running a lab, and working with other disciplines are unparalleled.

But. Dat price tag. The prospect of going over $100,000 into debt is really starting to hit me. Plus, as I've read here, the true path to research in a rehab science field would be to get the Master's in OT and then the PhD. I'm considering deferring, applying to University of Washington, and seeing if I can make it in. Problem is that UW only has 20 spots for in-state students, making it one of the hardest programs to get into. I would love to think I had a shot as I got into every other school I applied for. But I've heard their admissions team takes the GRE into prime consideration, and my quant GRE is significantly low (144).

Ultimately, if it weren't Wash. U., I would definitely just deny, go through the cycle again, and apply to cheaper schools. But Wash. U. truly does seem to take care of their students and provide the kind of opportunities that MAY justify the price tag.

Gonna bump this. Have very much appreciated occupationalguy and co.'s advice about expensive OTD programs. I'm just going to rant out my situation. Would certainly love to get some perspectives although I know I'm echoing a lot of similar concerns to other posters.

I was unable to apply to my local state school's OT program, University of Washington, this last cycle due to an outstanding prerequisite. Currently I've accepted an offer from Washington University in St. Louis. I am so impressed with their program, their professors, and the quality of the education they provide. I'm very interested in academia/research, so the unique opportunities they provide in terms of being published, running a lab, and working with other disciplines are unparalleled.

But. Dat price tag. The prospect of going over $100,000 into debt is really starting to hit me. Plus, as I've read here, the true path to research in a rehab science field would be to get the Master's in OT and then the PhD. I'm considering deferring, applying to University of Washington, and seeing if I can make it in. Problem is that UW only has 20 spots for in-state students, making it one of the hardest programs to get into. I would love to think I had a shot as I got into every other school I applied for. But I've heard their admissions team takes the GRE into prime consideration, and my quant GRE is significantly low (144).

Ultimately, if it weren't Wash. U., I would definitely just deny, go through the cycle again, and apply to cheaper schools. But Wash. U. truly does seem to take care of their students and provide the kind of opportunities that MAY justify the price tag.

Hi! I made the choice to attend Wash U's MOT program, which is still around 100k of debt when it's all said and done. It was the best option for me despite making it to the final rounds of UIC's application process (I'm an IL resident, so that program is very cost effective for tuition, but ultimately a logistical and living-expenses nightmare for me). It was a REALLY difficult decision, but I finally settled on Wash U. I do know that you are able to switch between the OTD and MSOT at Wash U, so there is an option there to just earn a Master's there, which is significantly less than the OTD (isn't that about 130k?) Additionally, I think it's worth it to consider the salary losses of what you could make as an OT in that year you'll miss if you defer. Are the savings you'll have if you go to University of Washington enough to justify that? This is a personal and financial decision-- you may not really like the idea of doing what you're doing now for another year and postponing starting your OT career, or you might be totally OK with it. I also know that living in Seattle can be costly-- so be sure to factor that in unless you can live with your parents or family for free. St. Louis living is very affordable and still feels like a city! :D It does sound like you had a great application this year, so I'd think you definitely have a shot, it's also not a guaranteed admission to University of Washington, so you may end up still attending another, expensive program next year.

On another note, I think the opportunity of moving somewhere brand new all on your own has value in and of itself. Not enough to justify a big tuition, of course, but certainly an exciting prospect to consider in this conundrum of yours!

I also was accepted to Wash U and am starting to freak out about the price as well. Like you, I've thought about trying to apply to more local/cheaper options for the next cycle to see if I'd make it in. Honestly, if I was younger, that's probably what I would do. However, I'm 28 and would really like to get started sooner than later. If you aren't in a rush to start school ASAP and don't want to give up your spot at Wash U, the program also offers deferring your admission for a year. That way you could try applying to University of Washington next cycle with the understanding that if it doesn't work out, you'd still have Wash U for 2018.

I struggled with a similar dilemma. I had the option to go to a school for 61k, a few for high 70s/low 80k, a top OTD program for 106k, another OTD program for 120k. I think it completely depends on your situation. I have talked to multiple people...students, rehab directors, alums, and researchers. I was encouraged to consider price and program fit. I spoke to 3 rehab directors and while they acknowledged that the top ranked programs are good, they said they don't consider the school as a deciding factor. I spoke to a prestigious hospital in my area and they said that they are more concerned with the person's personality, fit with the team, and preparedness (I'm assuming they would get this from fieldwork/experiences and references).

I am a giant perfectionist and it took me a long time to get over rankings and the term "doctorate." I was heavily involved in research in undergrad and encouraged to get a phD if I wanted to continue. Personally I don't want to do research so I'm content with my masters for now. Plus, my old lab coworkers suggested that I get a masters then go straight to a phD if I decide to do research. I ended up changing from the top OTD program to a lower ranked MOT program for 80k. I picked the program because of the program design and the price. I don't have undergraduate debt so I am able to take on the 80k in tuition over the 61k. My math could be off but I calculated with 80k in tuition plus 2 years of living expenses and a starting salary of about 65,000, I would net near 35,000 a year after loans for 10 years. I can live with that. I could not live with 106k plus 3 years of living expenses. If you can swing it that's awesome and more power to you! I personally don't think that the OTD is worth the cost if you are in my situation (paying for it in all loans and completely on your own-no help from parents or a spouse). There is always the option to do a masters, save some money, and go to a fully funded phD program.

Just my 2 cents, as long as you are working towards your dream, you can't go wrong :) Good luck!

Thank you so much for your responses, mushinkausen, elischeesecake, and PuppyloverOT! I so appreciate your perspectives as they have helped me resolve some of this ambivalence.

elischeesecake said:
I do know that you are able to switch between the OTD and MSOT at Wash U, so there is an option there to just earn a Master's there, which is significantly less than the OTD (isn't that about 130k?) Additionally, I think it's worth it to consider the salary losses of what you could make as an OT in that year you'll miss if you defer.

This is a huge factor that I hadn't really taken into account (it's hard to consider loss of earning POTENTIAL). I work in community mental health counseling and the average salary is around here is $35,000. OT contracts, on the other hand, go for about $6,000 a month (I live in a rural area with many many retirees). I'll still be making more as an OT even paying $1 - 2,000 on top of living expenses.

elischeesecake said:
St. Louis living is very affordable and still feels like a city!

It is shockingly gorgeous! I've heard a lot of bad press about St. Louis, and I'm sure like anywhere it has its problems. But the area around the medical campus (Central West End, Forest Park) is jaw-dropping stunning. It's also, as you mentioned, very affordable. Quite different from Seattle. Maybe we can hit the fun spots in CWE come fall!

mushinkausen said:
However, I'm 28 and would really like to get started sooner than later.

Haha, you geriatric you. ;) I'm also 28 and eager to get on my way. Is this a career change for you as well? This is my second time going through grad school, and I see the next two or three years as the foundation for a life's worth of work. In that sense, I couldn't be happier with my experiences so far with Wash U. I've contacted so many professors, so many influential and busy people, and they have all gotten back to me within that DAY. I've had hours-long conversations about the future of OT and the research opportunities that are available. I don't feel as if this is a program that will just take your money and churn out a degree. You truly are investing in a level of individual attention and professional development that may not be available in other programs.

PuppyloverOT said:
I personally don't think that the OTD is worth the cost if you are in my situation (paying for it in all loans and completely on your own-no help from parents or a spouse). There is always the option to do a masters, save some money, and go to a fully funded phD program.

Thanks for sharing! You and I are in similar situations as we're doing this without support. Loans and interest rates can be brutal. I will definitely be considering a Master's and then going for PhD down the road. Best luck to you!

I appreciate this thread! I was accepted into a 3 year OTD program, out of state as there are not any my state has reciprocity with... So the debt for tuition alone would be $110,000. I had talked myself out of the OTD route until I found out my acceptance and had tour of the facilities and opportunities (it had MUCH nicer staff and nicer environment than any master's school I've seen...). The school really did seem like a perfect fit, except for the price tag (and then living expenses for a very rural area). I am aware the OTD degree doesn't signify a difference in pay. I just can't stop getting hung up over the "doctorate" part, I'm more of a perfectionist as well....

I was trying to weigh the price tags of in-state masters programs PLUS the post-professional programs, and BOTH seemed cheaper together than the straight OTD route. There is also the possibility of being able to work during the post-professional degree if I'm not mistaken. Somebody please talk me into this because I highly value financial security... and buying a piece of paper for the price of a house with little prospect of timely return makes me cringe I'm considering it still.

I know what is the best choice financially (but I am having a hard time looking away from OTD).

If anyone has further advice for MIDWEST schools (Minnesota, SD, IA, or WI) costs, degree combinations, or other recommendations I would appreciate them.