Acceptance Stats for Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you can nitpick what I said, but again I said that there are some extenuating circumstances for people and you can still be a hard worker and good doctor and successful in podiatry school even if you had a bad undergraduate GPA. You can be, but GPA is a main factor and determinant of your work ethic and for most people, a bad GPA is from not working hard. YES there is a whole package of a person and you have your EC's and such, no one debated that, but there is a very big reason as to why some schools screen by GPA and why there is a big focus on it. Its not something to just ignore because you volunteered a lot of hours or seem like a really nice guy.

also, your argument about asking doctors those questions is a straw man statement. No one wants a bad doctor period. And bad doctors leave bad impressions. Its not just about impressing and helping your patients, but giving podiatry a good name if they ever want to achieve parity or have certain rights in a group or hospital or wherever. Especially since there are much fewer podiatrists, bad ones can make big impressions on the field. That starts with accepting good students. BUT AGAIN, GPA is not everything, but it is a big indicator on most students' work ethic. again, most, not all. and comparing circumstances from people is unfair since some people handle things differently.

no one is disputing the achievements of CappnNono or anyone else that gets into podiatry school with whatever GPA or MCAT that they have. It does not change the fact that schools accepting low GPA's is eye brow raising and for the most part rare, being that the average matriculate has a 3.3 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA.

We're just going to have to disagree here because I don't see us settling on a middle ground. Only things I'll leave off with:

(1) you didn't respond to the 4 questions I gave you. I wonder why, and what your answers would have been! (You and I both know it though)

(2) And "bad doctor"? Cool. But I've yet to see the school or grades brought up whenever people review their experience with ANY licensed medical professional!

(3) there's a reason schools screen? Neat. I'm guessing there isn't a reason why some schools don't screen?

Members don't see this ad.

We're just going to have to disagree here because I don't see us settling on a middle ground. Only things I'll leave off with:

(1) you didn't respond to the 4 questions I gave you. I wonder why, and what your answers would have been! (You and I both know it though)

(2) And "bad doctor"? Cool. But I've yet to see the school or grades brought up whenever people review their experience with ANY licensed medical professional!

(3) there's a reason schools screen? Neat. I'm guessing there isn't a reason why some schools don't screen?
2. Isnt true because A few years ago I worked for a pain and spine dr and whenever people heard he did his residency at Harvard their demeanor changed. People dont ask the school because its taboo and not socially acceptable or considered socially normal. But youd be lying if you didnt say you wanted a doctor who excelled academically.
3. Some schools dont screen because they want to fill their seats and not lose money..

2. Isnt true because A few years ago I worked for a pain and spine dr and whenever people heard he did his residency at Harvard their demeanor changed. People dont ask the school or grades or board scores because its considered taboo and not socially acceptable or considered socially normal. But youd be lying if you didnt say you wanted a doctor who excelled academically.
3. Some schools dont screen because they want to fill their seats and not lose money..

Please do not place low emphasis and focus on grades and academics to cater to your own views. Yes bed side manner is important. So why not be strong academically and with bed side manner. OP obviously as reasons for his academic record that he has stated. However, I agree that low grades in undergrad for "lack of focus and immaturity" is said too much on these threads. If you (general you statement not geared toward anyone) had a bad academic record with no reasons then you were lazy. It says a lot about someone as a person if they worked hard throughout undergrad and says a lot about the type of dr someone would be. Theres a reason grades and MCAT are weighted so heavily and not just a "personality" test. So can we stop sweeping grades under the rug saying they dont matter? If you wanna get into pod school and be successful as a student and future podiatrist then step up and handle the academic rigor/demands.

This post isnt geared toward anyone specifically. Its just a general vent/rant.

Welp... big gulps

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

1) again, your response is a straw man statement that doesn't dignify a response.
2) no one gives a crap about grades past residency. Its about being a good doctor. You obviously aren't understanding the core concept and are angry because you have ulterior motives and are taking it very personally. Despite what you think, getting into any school, your GPA matters and is very important. Your GPA means a lot. If you have a high GPA, it shows that you actually worked hard and were dedicated. AGAIN, YOU CAN HAVE A LOW GPA AND STILL HAVE A GOOD WORK ETHIC, if you had some extenuating circumstances that would explain the GPA. But having a high GPA shows that you worked hard, and are most likely capable of handling the much harder courses that podiatry school has. after school, Doctors don't just wake up and decide to be a bad doctor. it starts somewhere and usually it has to do with their work ethic and stems from them not working hard in school which translates into their career.
3) your guess would be wrong. Some schools don't screen because they cannot afford not to. They need to hit a certain amount of students and know that they have to take some lower stats in order to fill seats. No one is saying that these students are any less than those with higher stats or any school is better than the other, but the fact remains that some schools need to fill more seats and do not get all of the "desirable" applicants. and no matter what you say, a 4.0 GPA and 510 MCAT is much more desirable to a school than a 2.5, 490 mcat but is a really nice person who just had some troubles in undergrad.

listen man. you are taking this way too personally. and if you don't understand how and why GPA matters, then idk what else to tell you.

Reactions: 2 users
2. Isnt true because A few years ago I worked for a pain and spine dr and whenever people heard he did his residency at Harvard their demeanor changed. People dont ask the school or grades or board scores because its considered taboo and not socially acceptable or considered socially normal. But youd be lying if you didnt say you wanted a doctor who excelled academically.

Please do not place low emphasis and focus on grades and academics to cater to your own views. Yes bed side manner is important. So why not be strong academically and with bed side manner. OP obviously as reasons for his academic record that he has stated. However, I agree that low grades in undergrad for "lack of focus and immaturity" is said too much on these threads. If you (general you statement not geared toward anyone) had a bad academic record with no reasons then you were lazy. It says a lot about someone as a person if they worked hard throughout undergrad and says a lot about the type of dr someone would be. Theres a reason grades and MCAT are weighted so heavily and not just a "personality" test. So can we stop sweeping grades under the rug saying they dont matter? If you wanna get into pod school and be successful as a student and future podiatrist then step up and handle the academic rigor/demands.

This post isnt geared toward anyone specifically. Its just a general vent/rant.

Welp... big gulps

But do understand the name Harvard attached with anything generally will draw (good) attention. And I mean anything.

I wouldn't say it's a taboo. Asking someone how much they make is usally the taboo. Don't doctors have their certificates with the institution granting it usually posted somewhere on their wall? Not sure about hospitals but in private offices I ALWAYS see them there! So if it was a taboo, they wouldn't display it, or? Asking income is what's always been the taboo, iirc. What you're not acknowledging is that people in need of treatment and care really don't care about grades and school attended. It's the ability of the doc and how well he / she does their job. You know this. I don't know why you're spinning it. On this specific point, that is all I am saying -- when you need treatment, you do not concern yourself with school attended or grades received; so long as the person is licensed, you're assuming they're competent and putting yourself in their hands. Am I right or wrong? That's all I'm asking - a simple yes or no question which y'all just refuse to answer and insist on stretching lol (not taking anything personal here..). Smurf, I read your posts around here and I know you're open-minded!

2) no one gives a crap about grades past residency. Its about being a good doctor.

Glad you're fully aware of that.

feetsreets said:
I don't want a podiatrist or doctor that coasted through school with C's

See the difference between your two quotes?

Nothing personal here, feets... would buy you a beer and let you wingman for me tonight if I could (100% srs) ;):thumbup:

But do understand the name Harvard attached with anything generally will draw (good) attention. And I mean anything.

I wouldn't say it's a taboo. Asking someone how much they make is usally the taboo. Don't doctors have their certificates with the institution granting it usually posted somewhere on their wall? Not sure about hospitals but in private offices I ALWAYS see them there! So if it was a taboo, they wouldn't display it, or? Asking income is what's always been the taboo, iirc. What you're not acknowledging is that people in need of treatment and care really don't care about grades and school attended. It's the ability of the doc and how well he / she does their job. You know this. I don't know why you're spinning it. On this specific point, that is all I am saying -- when you need treatment, you do not concern yourself with school attended or grades received; so long as the person is licensed, you're assuming they're competent and putting yourself in their hands. Am I right or wrong? That's all I'm asking - a simple yes or no question which y'all just refuse to answer and insist on stretching lol (not taking anything personal here..). Smurf, I read your posts around here and I know you're open-minded!

Glad you're fully aware of that.

See the difference between your two quotes?

Nothing personal here, feets... would buy you a beer and let you wingman for me tonight if I could (100% srs) ;):thumbup:

you can take things out of context and nitpick all you want, but the two quotes are one and the same. Its not about the C's or D's or F's or A's. its the coasting part. Its the not working hard part. Its that bad work ethic that generally produces bad grades, and that same bad work ethic that makes bad doctors. A persons GPA can be very indicative of your work ethic which is why schools put a lot of emphasis on it.

you can take things out of context and nitpick all you want, but the two quotes are one and the same. Its not about the C's or D's or F's or A's. its the coasting part. Its the not working hard part. Its that bad work ethic that generally produces bad grades, and that same bad work ethic that makes bad doctors. A persons GPA can be very indicative of your work ethic which is why schools put a lot of emphasis on it.

Boss, I don't think we can ever settle on a middle ground on this "debate" lol...

Agree to disagree.

1. 3.5 cGPA 3.3 sGPA
2. 487 -> 503 mcat left the country and moved out of my house all the same week I took the mcat the first time. I was scoring in the high 490s but had a brain fart during the actually exam. Studied my butt off the next time and improved a bit.
3. college athlete, chemical research, EMT, worked in pod office, and tons of volunteering
4. Schools applied to: Temple, NYCPM, DMU, Scholl, and Kent
5. Acceptances+ scholarships: interviews at all. Only interviewed at Temple, Scholl and Kent. Scholarships at all.

Going to Temple.

Reactions: 4 users
1. 3.5 cGPA 3.3 sGPA
2. 487 -> 503 mcat left the country and moved out of my house all the same week I took the mcat the first time. I was scoring in the high 490s but had a brain fart during the actually exam. Studied my butt off the next time and improved a bit.
3. college athlete, chemical research, EMT, worked in pod office, and tons of volunteering
4. Schools applied to: Temple, NYCPM, DMU, Scholl, and Kent
5. Acceptances+ scholarships: interviews at all. Only interviewed at Temple, Scholl and Kent. Scholarships at all.

Going to Temple.
Why'd you pick temple?

Why'd you pick temple?

I've always wanted to live on the east coast kind of a change of scenery from the Midwest. They have a massive patient load in their clinic. I picked them over Scholl for this reason. Scholl had great facilities but the dean from Temple called me and said they are putting a couple million in their lab which will be done by August and they are building a simulation center as well. Liked the faculty and the area a lot.

Anything more pm me.

Reactions: 1 users
GPA: cGPA = 3.2, sGPA = 3.0
MCAT: 501
ECs: ER scribe during gap year (over 1,500 hours), volunteer at children's hospital, dance marathon exec member, 50+ hours Podiatry shadowing, 1.5 years undergrad biochem research
Schools applied to: KSUCPM (wanted this to stay near family), Temple
Acceptances+ scholarships: KSUCPM (picked here!), Temple

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone. I am applying for Fall 2018 and am about to get started studying for the MCAT and am shooting to take it on the last date. September 9th. I was wondering if anyone had any study scheduling tips/strategies that helped them. I am thinking of getting at least 2 hours a day for roughly 3 months using a Kaplan course and taking practice tests during those 3 months. Is this strategy/timeline long enough? Enough study hours? What has best helped you?? Thanks!

Hey everyone. I am applying for Fall 2018 and am about to get started studying for the MCAT and am shooting to take it on the last date. September 9th. I was wondering if anyone had any study scheduling tips/strategies that helped them. I am thinking of getting at least 2 hours a day for roughly 3 months using a Kaplan course and taking practice tests during those 3 months. Is this strategy/timeline long enough? Enough study hours? What has best helped you?? Thanks!
3 months is plenty of time. I suggest looking through the MCAT Discussion section for specific study schedules and tips.

I wanted to post here for a while so here goes:

GPA: cGPA = 3.3, sGPA = 3.2, gGPA = 3.8
MCAT: 497
ECs: 2 Public health related employments, various shadowing/volunteering at Hospitals (over 1000 hours), 300 DPM hours, Undergrad Research
Schools applied to: NYCPM, Barry, Scholl
Acceptances+ scholarships: All 3, Attending Scholl

Reactions: 10 users
When did you get a response about scholarship information for Temple? I just got accepted last Friday via email...
how did you get scholarship info for Kent? Its been a week since my acceptance e-mail.