Acceptable CS Abbreviations not on the USMLE website?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studying4ck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, share abbreviations that you know are ok to use and not on the USMLE website. Please, only those who passed CS exam recently reply. Thank you so much!

Are these ok to use?

NC - noncontributory
HSM- Hepatospleenomegaly
LEs - lower extremities
UEs - upper extremities
COC - contraception
OCP- oral contraceptive pills
ABD: S/ no HSM - soft, hepatosplenomegaly
IDU - illicit drug use
ttp - tender to palpation
E/C/C- No edema, cyanosis, clubbing
LAP or LAD - Lymphedenopathy
MRG - Murmurs, rubs, and gallaps
c/o -
EtOH /cig/drugs
S1S2nl
RUQ,LUQ,RLQ, LLQ, - how do we say left/right middle quadrant -RMQ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Good post! I'm also looking for abbreviations that can be used besides the ones from the website. I'm struggling with finishing my PN within 10 minutes. I think I'm taking more time in typing up HPI because I'm typing up full sentences and unable to complete W/U. I have few weeks left. I don't know what to do... :nailbiting:

Good post! I'm also looking for abbreviations that can be used besides the ones from the website. I'm struggling with finishing my PN within 10 minutes. I think I'm taking more time in typing up HPI because I'm typing up full sentences and unable to complete W/U. I have few weeks left. I don't know what to do... :nailbiting:
You do the HPI last. Seriously. Write your note backwards.

When filling out the form, start with the diagnoses, reasoning, and workup first, then do the physical exam (99% of which is normal), and finally with your time remaining do the HPI.

I know it sounds silly, or like it won't change anything, but I promise it will add MINUTES to your note taking section.

Try it!

Reactions: 1 users
You do the HPI last. Seriously. Write your note backwards.

When filling out the form, start with the diagnoses, reasoning, and workup first, then do the physical exam (99% of which is normal), and finally with your time remaining do the HPI.

I know it sounds silly, or like it won't change anything, but I promise it will add MINUTES to your note taking section.

Try it!

Thank you so much! I'll start typing my notes with DDx first. Also, is there a short way to type hepatospleenomegaly or organomegally? Can we just type Echo or TTE instead of transthoracic echocardiography? Can we say Urine tox? How can we say "Sensation intact to pinprick and soft touch" in short? And lastly is it ok if I use the abbre mentioned by the OP?

1 more question, if I filled up PE portion, but didn't put supporting PE next to DDx, will I lose points? I don't think I should since I have it in my note, but forget to put it next to the DDx.

Please help... 1.5 week left and I don't feel ready... :scared:

Last edited: