Academic Warning....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys, I'm just wondering about about Good standing with Warning:

AADSAS asks: Have you ever been disqualified, suspended, dismissed, or otherwise subject to a disciplinary action at any college or university in connection with your academic performance?

Are academic warnings considered discipline? I wouldn't think so because it's not a disrupt to education. I achieved honors roll the next semester... What would you do? I already turned my ap...and I cant fix it. FML.

However, when you think about it. It's actions by college/university. A warning is like a cop saying "drive slowly or next time you get a ticket." versus "actually getting a ticket"

I think I'm fine...but do you guys know anymore info about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm just wondering about about Good standing with Warning:

AADSAS asks: Have you ever been disqualified, suspended, dismissed, or otherwise subject to a disciplinary action at any college or university in connection with your academic performance?

Are academic warnings considered discipline? I wouldn't think so because it's not a disrupt to education. I achieved honors roll the next semester... What would you do? I already turned my ap...and I cant fix it. FML.

However, when you think about it. It's actions by college/university. A warning is like a cop saying "drive slowly or next time you get a ticket." versus "actually getting a ticket"

I think I'm fine...but do you guys know anymore info about this?

Uhhh, I'm pretty sure it counts and you should put it...if they find out you could be in trouble.

if it is not that big a deal, and if it's something small enough that you forgot to put in in your application, then I wouldnt worry about it,... at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it, you answered the question honestly. The school gave you a warning, which is simply telling you that if you don't shape up (which you did) there will then be disciplinary action, suspension, disqualification or dismissal. For instance, say you're wandering around at night and you accidentally stumble on to private property. A cop stops you, gives you a good lecture but decides to let you go without arresting or citing you. Would you then write down that you were arrested for trespassing under that section? 'Course not, so don't sweat it.

yea, honestly just check w/ your school to see if it was documented anywhere. Just don't want anything bad to happen b/c of it. :thumbup:

You weren't disciplined, you were warned that you would be disciplined - so no, you don't need to put that. If you have ANYTHING there without a full and complete explanation, it will look very bad.

They mean things like suspension, being placed on probation, academic punishments for cheating, etc.

You weren't disciplined, you were warned that you would be disciplined - so no, you don't need to put that. If you have ANYTHING there without a full and complete explanation, it will look very bad.

They mean things like suspension, being placed on probation, academic punishments for cheating, etc.

Alright, thanks guys. I recently called my school and asked two registrar people whether it was considered "academic action". On both occasions, both flat out said "no". Probation and stuff quoted above is considered academic action. Warnings are not considered action but classified rather as "warnings." Period.

Whew -_- Well I hope this post clarifies alot of things for other people! Good luck with APPS everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Also some schools, like mine, have told me that in regards to a warning, they will not release to anyone because there are privacy issues at hand to consider.

now if it is cheating and stuff, then you are screwed. For example, i got a warning for having illegally downloaded movie on my laptop. My little brother downloaded it when I was at home for winter break and when I got to school, never erased it and when I connected to the school network, my computer got pinged. That is an example of just a warning. Heck, if that counts as disciplinary action, then about 75% of my school won't ever get into med.dental school lol

So I just want to revive this thread... I was put on academic probation at a school, do I have to list that on the application? I was not dismissed from the school, but I did not continue my education there as it was a masters program I decided to forgo to instead focus on dentistry. Any help is appreciated.

So I just want to revive this thread... I was put on academic probation at a school, do I have to list that on the application? I was not dismissed from the school, but I did not continue my education there as it was a masters program I decided to forgo to instead focus on dentistry. Any help is appreciated.

My first semester I had a sub-2.0 GPA which means by default Penn says you're on academic probation, even though nothing actually happens since I was above 2.0 by second semester. My advisor agreed that that isn't the kind of probation AADSAS meant and it probably wasn't the best idea for my school to call it probation since it makes it sound like something it's not. He said he honestly thought it was fine either including it or leaving it out and just to do what I felt like doing, so I included it and used the explanation box as a chance to point out that my current grades were vastly better, and that 2.0 freshman semester was in no way a reflection of my ability.

My first semester I had a sub-2.0 GPA which means by default Penn says you're on academic probation, even though nothing actually happens since I was above 2.0 by second semester. My advisor agreed that that isn't the kind of probation AADSAS meant and it probably wasn't the best idea for my school to call it probation since it makes it sound like something it's not. He said he honestly thought it was fine either including it or leaving it out and just to do what I felt like doing, so I included it and used the explanation box as a chance to point out that my current grades were vastly better, and that 2.0 freshman semester was in no way a reflection of my ability.

right on the application it says Put on Probation, it does not say Academic Probation, I did not complete the Masters programs anyway, so the school did not really do anything. I just want to be upfront about what I need and don't need to write. Ill call the AADSAS tomorrow to ask for a more clear interpretation.

There are 2 sections on the "background information" regarding this matter:

first section:
"Have you ever been disqualified, suspended, dismissed, or otherwise subject to a disciplinary action at any college or university in connection with your academic performance?"

This is where you put your explanation regarding ACADEMIC PROBATION

second section:
"Have you ever been found to have violated a school rule, policy or procedure, or an honor code; or have you otherwise been disqualified, put on probation, suspended, dismissed, expelled, or otherwise been subject to disciplinary action at any college/university in connection to misconduct? Please include any and all instances of misconduct, regardless of whether the school maintains a record of such misconduct or formal action, or whether it appears on your transcript"

This is where you put your explanation regarding ANY MISCONDUCT OUTSIDE OF ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE

This is my opinion

Alright, thanks guys. I recently called my school and asked two registrar people whether it was considered "academic action". On both occasions, both flat out said "no". Probation and stuff quoted above is considered academic action. Warnings are not considered action but classified rather as "warnings." Period.

Whew -_- Well I hope this post clarifies alot of things for other people! Good luck with APPS everyone!
Hey! how did your apps go, and did they ask you for a record of discplinary action?