Academic Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like private practice gigs don't really exist. I keep searching the alumni sites for different Path programs and almost no one goes into private practice. It seems like most do two fellowships and then get an assistant professor of Pathology position. How much do these assistant professor jobs pay? Less than if you do Forensics?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome the world of pathology.
Private practice exists but way to much pathology is academic or run by large lab corporations.

It seems like private practice gigs don't really exist. I keep searching the alumni sites for different Path programs and almost no one goes into private practice. It seems like most do two fellowships and then get an assistant professor of Pathology position. How much do these assistant professor jobs pay? Less than if you do Forensics?

Private practice jobs are dwindling, that is true. It took a few extra months searching but I was able to find a nice partnership track gig. Also try community hospitals. Life i am sure is much better and you are probably treated much better than at an academic institution where life is the total pits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome the world of pathology.
Private practice exists but way to much pathology is academic or run by large lab corporations.

What if you wanted to sell your soul for a 300k high volume glass pushing position for a large lab? Are those readily available? A show up at 8 at your cubicle, push glass until 12, take lunch until 1, push glass until 5. Go home.

What if you wanted to sell your soul for a 300k high volume glass pushing position for a large lab? Are those readily available? A show up at 8 at your cubicle, push glass until 12, take lunch until 1, push glass until 5. Go home.

Those jobs exist and aren't that hard to find. Horrible for your health though. Yet another pathologist recently died from an embolism I have been told.

Those jobs exist and aren't that hard to find. Horrible for your health though. Yet another pathologist recently died from an embolism I have been told.

I'll start an initiative to prophylactically start Lovenox in all Pathologists.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like [advertised] private practice gigs don't really exist.
Fixed that for you...

I keep searching the alumni sites for different Path programs and almost no one goes into private practice.
It may seem from a couple of alumni lists that a lot of graduates go into academics (particularly at the better programs), but it's the average to subpar programs which actually have more candidates who do not go into academics. Although, you wouldn't know it because many of those weaker programs don't put up alumni lists.
But, I've debunked this before: The MAJORITY of pathologists go into private practice. According to information from the Intersociety Council on Pathology Information, "approximately 75% of practicing pathologists are in community practice".

How much do these assistant professor jobs pay?
Here are previous quotes from others.

Many have to do "jr faculty" for years where they get paid 80k or so, after 4 years residency and 2-3 fellowships.

In GENERAL, the junior academic attending jobs are the lowest paid ones out there. . .but I think $90-140k is probably the range.

I know a lot of folks in academics, and I don't know anyone who started under 140,000. At my institution on the east coast, assistant professors start about 170,000

It was around a decade ago, but back when I did the jr faculty thing, the pay was $120k

I got an academic offer last year for $170k.

I'll start an initiative to prophylactically start Lovenox in all Pathologists.

Why not just do imaging? Same amount of sitting but you can always do telerads from home.

as an aside...

I know a group that doesn't take in house call. they rotate each of their rads to their Portuguese villa on a per-monthly basis, so the night call on this side of the Prime Meridian is a normal work day for them. Naturally they bill night rates.

i'm learning that pathology is to be done by only the meek, bullied and foreign trained, or the nerds who think theyre gonna get a nobel prize for their work on GATA4MUCK2TARD2 CrapSAR RNA IHC bull****. i'm strongly considering redoing residency as a result. i'm tired of the low stature of our profession and my insecure colleagues worried about the alpha surgeon or alpha administrator yelling at them if they dont jump when theyre told.

Last edited:
zero.
i'm surprised that there are places offering less than 300 for full-time positions.

i assume you work at one of these places. if so, they are underpaying you and profiting more for themselves. i would suggest moving on.

i'm strongly considering redoing residency as a result. i'm tired of the low stature of our profession and my insecure colleagues worried about the alpha surgeon or alpha administrator yelling at them if they dont jump when theyre told.

Curious. Why would you ever want to waste time to go back and do another residency? Seems like you got a baller gig with a starting pay higher than what others make ~3 yrs into practice. Who cares about the stature of the profession when you are making that much for not too bad of a daily slide workload. I'm skeptical you are "strongly considering" going back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user