Academic IM as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely, but that holds true for a DO as well as an MD. Just because there's no OMM doesn't mean MDs dont have classes taking up their time they don't want to take (biostats, tropical diseases, etc -- just take a look at the allo forums there are loads of complaints about classes).

That's a pretty daft comparison tbh. OMM is a 2 year block and biostats is 2 weeks long. The time requirement is not comparable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If they are complaining about biostats, then they are ******ed. Not only is it on the boards, but also useful in research and interpretation of articles. The amount of statistics and understanding of journal articles that goes on in a lot of medical schools is a joke (nowhere near enough in this age of information).

OMM has so much voodoo in it that you can study till your eyes turn red, but it won't matter if your OMM proctor "feels" you don't know it at all. Your grade will take a nose dive. I would take biostats and even tropical diseases (yes I have taken both in the past) over OMM any day of the week, especially in multiple choice test format.

Pet peeve of mine, but can we not use Voodoo as a euphemism for things that are nonsense/not based in fact? It's an actual culture and religion with thousands of years of history.

We wouldn't use Judaism or Catholicism in such a way, so please, let's respect the cultures and traditions of others.

My apologies for distracting from the topic of this thread.

Just fyi biostat is a topic you are responsible for in the radiology board exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not comparing biostats to OMM! Are you?

No, but I am saying that MDs feel that they take extra courses that will not matter to them, just as a majority of DO's feel about OMM. I was listing examples from the allo thread that complained about schools wasting student's precious time with these courses.

Just fyi biostat is a topic you are responsible for in the radiology board exam.

I understand that and I believe this conversation has gone way off course. We were debating MD vs DO free time during the school year. Go take it up with the MD students complaining about it.

3 pubs??? I feel like everyone I have talked to has had fewer (or none).

Academic IM absolutely needs pubs. In this cycle, my friends with mid-230s and pubs matched better than the ones with 240s and 0 pubs.

Keep in mind, being on one project with a poster + abstract + paper = 3 on eras already. Sprinkle in 2 case reports through m3 and you're very solid.

Academic IM absolutely needs pubs. In this cycle, my friends with mid-230s and pubs matched better than the ones with 240s and 0 pubs.

Keep in mind, being on one project with a poster + abstract + paper = 3 on eras already. Sprinkle in 2 case reports through m3 and you're very solid.

I'm currently working on a project now that will be a 1st author if I can get to the publishing step. Are you in MS3 right now?

Pet peeve of mine, but can we not use Voodoo as a euphemism for things that are nonsense/not based in fact? It's an actual culture and religion with thousands of years of history.

We wouldn't use Judaism or Catholicism in such a way, so please, let's respect the cultures and traditions of others.

You're correct, I apologize for using this African religion in my outburst. The use of certain terms by US society kind of makes you forget what it really means. So I will try to be more exact with my words in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
You're correct, I apologize for using this African religion in my outburst. The use of certain terms by US society kind of makes you forget what it really means. So I will try to be more exact with my words in the future.

It's cool man, no worries

Not to comment on the Duke, UNC, Vandy's of the world. But can anyone comment on the the tier below? Emory, MUSC, etc?
Stats; Step1=252, GPA= 3.95 preclinical, class rank 6th/160, 5 pubs, 1 poster, 1 presentation. Staring down the start of M3 hoping good clinical grades, a couple case reports, can be enough as a DO student?

Not to comment on the Duke, UNC, Vandy's of the world. But can anyone comment on the the tier below? Emory, MUSC, etc?
Stats; Step1=252, GPA= 3.95 preclinical, class rank 6th/160, 5 pubs, 1 poster, 1 presentation. Staring down the start of M3 hoping good clinical grades, a couple case reports, can be enough as a DO student?

There are two kind of academic programs in my opinion. The first kind will not take you no matter what your stat is, the second kind will take you.

Just go to the website of the program and see if they got DOs. If they have DOs, should be the later.

If you are enthusiastic about a program, it's worth applying. There's no generalizable magic formula about who will offer a particular DO an interview. Who knows, you might get one. Just don't feel like it is a personal affront if you don't get an interview and make sure you have safety programs too

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

If you are enthusiastic about a program, it's worth applying. There's no generalizable magic formula about who will offer a particular DO an interview. Who knows, you might get one. Just don't feel like it is a personal affront if you don't get an interview and make sure you have safety programs too

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Thanks for the thoughts! Fingers crossed

I'm planning on doing this research myself, but is there any chance someone has looked into what academic programs in the northeast are DO-friendly and attainable for a 253 step w/ a few posters and case reports and could share their findings?

I'm planning on doing this research myself, but is there any chance someone has looked into what academic programs in the northeast are DO-friendly and attainable for a 253 step w/ a few posters and case reports and could share their findings?

Youll get the best answer posting this in the What are my chances stick in the Internal Medicine subforum.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Georgetown, GW, UMass, Dartmouth, just to name a few.

I guess you're technically correct but I'll be damned if this isn't the most innocuous thing I've ever seen someone be offended by.