Absolutely necessary to retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSU_LEL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just took the DAT recently and I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary to retake it? I am mainly concerned about my QR score! Thank you in advance for the input, it is greatly appreciated! :)

Also not that my scores were amazing but for those who planning to take the DAT soon feel free to message me about anything. I totally understand how grueling this process is so if there is anyway I can help, please let me know!

Background:

Undergrad Overall GPA: 3.64
Undergrad Science GPA: 3.3-3.4
Graduate Overall GPA: 3.70
Graduate Science GPA: 3.70

I went to top 50 school for undergrad, you can probably tell where from my username lol and currently I am finishing up a masters program.

DAT Exam: 04/19/17
PAT: 17
QR: 14……..I know
RC: 18
Bio 19
Gchem: 20
Ochem: 22
TS: 20
AA: 19

QR kicked my butt…clearly! Before my exam I was keeping up with DAT discussions and multiple people commented that there were new questions regarding comparing quantities. I had around 5 on my exam, most of them threw me off and they didn’t seem to have a correct answer. Also I had 2 trig questions I believe.

Members don't see this ad.

19 is a fine score, although I personally would go for 21+. Meh, I would say you wouldn't have to retake.

Reactions: 1 user
It will probably be fine, but you should call the schools you're most interested in and ask about QR score cutoffs. 14 is pretty low, but a lot of schools don't really care about the QR section.

Thank you!! I appreciate the feedback! Since I have the time I figure I will take this next month to get my application together. I will then apply right on June 1st and then retake my DAT around August or September. Although, I am not 100% sure I'm going to but I'm leaning towards it. It was my first time taking it and you only have one life to live so why not right? Another 2-3 months of studying is nothing compared 4 years! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

I just took the DAT recently and I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary to retake it? I am mainly concerned about my QR score! Thank you in advance for the input, it is greatly appreciated! :)

Also not that my scores were amazing but for those who planning to take the DAT soon feel free to message me about anything. I totally understand how grueling this process is so if there is anyway I can help, please let me know!

Background:

Undergrad Overall GPA: 3.64
Undergrad Science GPA: 3.3-3.4
Graduate Overall GPA: 3.70
Graduate Science GPA: 3.70

I went to top 50 school for undergrad, you can probably tell where from my username lol and currently I am finishing up a masters program.

DAT Exam: 04/19/17
PAT: 17
QR: 14……..I know
RC: 18
Bio 19
Gchem: 20
Ochem: 22
TS: 20
AA: 19

QR kicked my butt…clearly! Before my exam I was keeping up with DAT discussions and multiple people commented that there were new questions regarding comparing quantities. I had around 5 on my exam, most of them threw me off and they didn’t seem to have a correct answer. Also I had 2 trig questions I believe.

if you have the money to spend I'd apply to a bunch of private schools and see what happens. If you don't get in then you have to retake DAT for next cycle (aim for 21+). If you don't have the $$, then retake DAT

Thank you for your feedback! If that is the case then I think I am just going to take the DAT. I don't want to risk taking another year off from school!

I would rewrite. The QR is not the only thing that is a red flag, your PAT score is also pretty low.
What did you use to prepare?