ABSITE Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Countdown until the copyright police show up (aka Kim)...

I've given enough warnings...you guys want to hang yourselves, go right ahead.

Members don't see this ad.

So who covers the services today? I'm sure there's variability among institutions, but do attendings actually carry the intern pager for a few hours?
First call for our patients was a PA who usually doesn't work with us, and then yes, it was the attendings.

So who covers the services today? I'm sure there's variability among institutions, but do attendings actually carry the intern pager for a few hours?

Typically, we all would check out to our attendings for a few hours on Saturday morning.

This year, our test was spaced out over 3 days as we adjust to the computerized version...that meant no gaps in resident coverage, so attendings were very happy about the change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Typically, we all would check out to our attendings for a few hours on Saturday morning.

This year, our test was spaced out over 3 days as we adjust to the computerized version...that meant no gaps in resident coverage, so attendings were very happy about the change.
Do so few of you have laptops?

Do so few of you have laptops?

We did it in one of the computer classrooms, with the program coordinator as proctor.

Actually, we all have hospital issued "tablets." Honestly, though, who wants to carry around a laptop? Especially since it could get easily stolen or lost. I go crazy if I have to carry my loupes around for more than a short period of time....of course, I have the shoulder strap for my loupes, which generates some insults from my co-residents, but makes it easier to carry them.

Anyway, only a fraction of us actually carry a laptop around. Most of them are collecting dust in the surgery office. Of course, next year when CPOE comes back (down for a while), these tablets may become more necessary.

Once again had a few questions that were out of left field. Last year I tried to find the answer to a couple for a while and never did, not even going to bother this year. Don't want to be specific, but they weren't direct patient care kinds of things (nor were they basic science). Last year I decided they were probably just experimental questions, but now I am not so sure. Frustrating that they would have questions on the exam where a clear answer isn't really out there (I wonder if the person who made up the question just made up the answer too).

Other than that felt pretty good about the test. I thought the computer based format was very simple and easy to use. It took me a little before I noticed where the numbering was so at first I was annoyed (but once I found it I realized I was dumb for not noticing it). Would be nice if our scores returned faster but I doubt that will happen.

You can take it on your laptop? Do they just use the honor system that you won't use reference materials?

It takes over your computer and you can't access anything else on your computer.

It takes over your computer and you can't access anything else on your computer.
It's much like the FRED software for the USMLE. One of my fellow residents had technical difficulties and (with the program director looking over his shoulder) tried to back out and it "logged this unusual behavior." It came around once the PD clicked a few buttons from his end.

Well, I took it. I felt prepared-- the RUSH question book is amazing, ya'll-- but I have no idea how I did. Is that normal? I mean, you can work out a rough percentage of how many you got right, but all that matters is how many everyone else got right.

I also thought that, with 220 questions, there would have been a broader subset of knowledge tested. It seemed like several rather narrow topics were hit over and over again, whereas big swaths of surgery weren't even touched.

Anyway, congrats to SL et al who are finished for good!

The Rush book has never failed me. It took me a couple of years, but I finally finished the whole thing . . . just in time for the new one to come out in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
the computer test was interesting
my browser unexpectedly quit during the test .... twice!
the proctor was freaked out and dint know what to do
but i just restarted the program and signed back in, it started me where i left off whew!:eek:

way too many non surgical questions .. i thought the test was about surgery

but overall very fair

SESAP was very helpful for some specific questions

way too many non surgical questions .. i thought the test was about surgery
Same complaint about the surgery shelf.... Glad to hear this doesn't get any better. :rolleyes:

Is there any news/thoughts/possibilities, that the results would be issued earlier than the first week of March? Given that this year was a computer test. Thank you.

Is there any news/thoughts/possibilities, that the results would be issued earlier than the first week of March? Given that this year was a computer test. Thank you.

Our PD told us that the ABS would release the results before the due date for the NRMP ROL.

I recall last year that the results were sent to our program on Feb 24th. Hopefully, it will be around that time again this year.

Scores are in!!!

This is my first year taking the senior exam, I'd like to hear from others what they think of the curve. Not bad as far as I can tell..

Scores are in!!!

This is my first year taking the senior exam, I'd like to hear from others what they think of the curve. Not bad as far as I can tell..

Congrats to everybody on being done, and I hope everyone is happy with their scores. The literature would say that if you are below 30th percentile, you are at risk for failing the boards. Otherwise, it's just a pissing contest....one that I enjoy a lot.

Anyway, for the senior exam I think that most of the necessary info comes from studying through the year and being a good resident, as it is mostly clinical. The only thing I looked at this year was SESAP 14, and I think it worked well. While previously hesitant to endorse SESAP for ABSITE studying, I think now after 2 years experience that it's probably one of the top resources for the senior exam.

Congrats to everybody on being done, and I hope everyone is happy with their scores. The literature would say that if you are below 30th percentile, you are at risk for failing the boards. Otherwise, it's just a pissing contest....one that I enjoy a lot.

Anyway, for the senior exam I think that most of the necessary info comes from studying through the year and being a good resident, as it is mostly clinical. The only thing I looked at this year was SESAP 14, and I think it worked well. While previously hesitant to endorse SESAP for ABSITE studying, I think now after 2 years experience that it's probably one of the top resources for the senior exam.
Thought you said you felt the exam was mostly basic science? Was this just a change in your perception of the exam as you became more removed from basic science studying?

Well, I'm happy. I've heard numerous times that your score often drops off from PGY1 to PGY2 because you don't have all the prelims in the curve. I'll have to ratchet up the studying next year.

Well, I'm happy. I've heard numerous times that your score often drops off from PGY1 to PGY2 because you don't have all the prelims in the curve. I'll have to ratchet up the studying next year.
What was your study plan? What did you feel was the best resource?

My best resource was remembering stuff from med school. Seriously. There was a lot of basic science on there that I never study when I'm doing my usual studying (e.g., preparing for cases, reading about patient pathology, reading Schwartz, preparing for conferences).

Next year, I'm going to use BRS Physiology, especially for GI physiology. The ABSITE score report is fairly specific about what you got wrong. I know which GI hormone questions I got wrong, so I know what to study next year. I think it's funny that you're not even supposed to memorize any questions on their for your own benefit, but then they give you enough information in their feedback that you can re-construct quite a few questions.

I'm mostly planning on continuing to study broadly and read as much of Schwartz as I can, and in the few months before next year's ABSITE, I'll start reading ABSITE Review and BRS Phys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you use a question bank? I never thought to use BRS Physio. Good idea.

Did you use a question bank? I never thought to use BRS Physio. Good idea.

I stick to my same recommendations. The key, and there is no substitute, is to study actively through the year. Keep up on things that are "junior level" when you're a senior. AV fistulas were hit big this year for example. I tend to read about those primarily so I can pimp the juniors and interns on rounds and got a couple of questions I wouldn't have otherwise because of that reading.
Fiser is the BEST resource and in my opinion the only one you need for the physiology on the senior exam. Read it through the year and make notes from your text book readings as you go.
In addition texts like Masters of Surgery are awsome. Not that they contain the info you need in entirety but the editor comments at the end of each chapter are great. The guy who comments often disagrees with suggestions in the chapter, stating why and what problems he's run into. Often the main author and the editor are disagreeing on rare things that come up when you've done 10000 cases that would never occur to a resident thats done 30.

I've used Mastery through the year, journals I've looked up based on that reading and cases my juniors are doing and put it all in notes in fiser.

Thanks, dynx. Impressive that you're able to squeeze so much into Fiser. There isn't too much blank space.

Thanks, dynx. Impressive that you're able to squeeze so much into Fiser. There isn't too much blank space.

the book looks pretty pathetic at this point. Tons of small print squeezed into every corner and some spaces just have another page number or say "back cover" so I know to look there for whatever i needed to scribble in.

Thought you said you felt the exam was mostly basic science? Was this just a change in your perception of the exam as you became more removed from basic science studying?

Oh, it's absolutely perception....that's what I was trying to point out in the earlier posts...I doubt the content ever really changes that much, but since we're perfectionists, we tend to amplify areas where we are less comfortable.

I think I agree with dynx that having a year-round approach to studying is very important. I only spend about 1-2 weeks actually studying for the ABSITE, but I read journals daily, and I stay up to date on most topics through reading and audio stuff. This seems to work for me.

the book looks pretty pathetic at this point. Tons of small print squeezed into every corner and some spaces just have another page number or say "back cover" so I know to look there for whatever i needed to scribble in.

I have the old red and blue cover fiser, and it is also pretty marked up, etc. After dedicating all that time to the book (much like my first aid for step 1), I refused to get a newer version over the years, knowing that some answers may now be wrong.

Is it out for everyone. I asked my program coordinator today and she said the results weren't out yet.

Definitly agree SESAP 14 is the way to go!!!! Plus you'll be more current than most of your attendings:)

So does SESAP come in CD-ROM form from the ACS? About $300 for residents? What's the format? Questions and answers or prose?

I bought the Books and CD for $210.00. This is the price for resident members. It's only $20 to become a member so just do it. Honestly the best $200 bucks I spent since undergrad:)

I bought the Books and CD for $210.00. This is the price for resident members. It's only $20 to become a member so just do it. Honestly the best $200 bucks I spent since undergrad:)
For the junior or senior exam?

Yes, you are correct.

I ignored the print stuff because you *have* to order the CD ROM or web version to get CMEs.
So it's $200 for the residents to get it? I assume "RAS" stands for something involving residents.

agree...
Do u have sesap audio? If u have them online - would u email me a link?

welp, it's that time of year again. I've been studying and doing practice questions for a while now, but I just broke out my high-yield stuff. Wish I'd started this a week ago....forgot how much was here.

Another week or 2 until results are back... I have my fingers crossed for a few of my co-residents. Planning to formulate joint study plans for next year, as I'd like them to stay in the program :lame:

Another week or 2 until results are back... I have my fingers crossed for a few of my co-residents. Planning to formulate joint study plans for next year, as I'd like them to stay in the program :lame:

I'd managed to put this out of my mind. I hate you a little for this bump so far in advance before the results are back. :mad: