Absent Usmle step II with new acgme/phased out aoa programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dannyboy676

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello EM peeps, I've noticed while applying for auditions many of the residencies listed on the Aoa website are not participating in aoa and only doing the acgme match.
Am I shooting myself in the foot by not taking step II and only applying with comlex II (taking 7/14) for these old aoa programs?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to reach out to them directly and see their opinions regarding step 2 vs COMLEX II. I would presume that since they are familiar with the COMLEX they would be more receptive to it compared to programs that were ACGME since creation, but the only way to really know is to get it from the horse's mouth.

Hello EM peeps, I've noticed while applying for auditions many of the residencies listed on the Aoa website are not participating in aoa and only doing the acgme match.
Am I shooting myself in the foot by not taking step II and only applying with comlex II (taking 7/14) for these old aoa programs?
Thanks

Is there any reason you aren't taking USMLE Step 2? I feel like it only opens more doors....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken an nbme yet
I don't know if I'll do well on it to be honest at this point.

I haven't taken an nbme yet
I don't know if I'll do well on it to be honest at this point.

It's over a month away...If you're using UWorld properly, you'll be well prepared for both exams. Did you take Step 1? I honestly have a little more faith in USMLE than COMLEX as far as test material and fairness. Everything on my Step 1 was reasonable whereas on Level 1 I had the exact same strange question/topic presented almost identically over 10 times. If I hadn't taken USMLE, there's no way I would be remotely competitive applying to EM.

Reactions: 1 users
I took step 1. Passed. But was abysmal, ten points lower than my 2 nbme which were also low.
In retrospect I probably shouldn't have taken it and prob have some form of ptsd from step I still.

Say you're a DO student who took both COMLEX and Step1 +2 and want to apply to some of those new ACGME programs. Do you have to release/submit your Step scores or does the applicant have the option of only sending Comlex scores with their applications to programs?

Say you're a DO student who took both COMLEX and Step1 +2 and want to apply to some of those new ACGME programs. Do you have to release/submit your Step scores or does the applicant have the option of only sending Comlex scores with their applications to programs?

You have to disclose your board scores. For most schools, they automatically show up on your deans list since the school gets your score and score report and they post that on the 1st page of the deans letter, so programs will see it. Not releasing it with your ERAS could lead to some eye raising and inquiries as to why you didn't release it.

I took step 1. Passed. But was abysmal, ten points lower than my 2 nbme which were also low.

How low are we talking? If you scored considerably lower (like 200's or even 210's) and you want to do the ACGME match, this would increase the importance of taking step 2 and doing well. Ideally you would shoot for 230+ to open more doors. Lower board scores by themselves probably won't keep you from matching if you apply broadly, but a nice increase in Step 2 is very appreciated by PD's and will help you with interviews. But then again if you are taking NBME's for step 2 and consistently scoring low, it might hurt you more than help you.

My general advice to applicants is that if your Step 1 score is "good" then you don't need a Step 2 score to obtain interviews. If your Step 1 is "weak" and you feel that you can improve upon it, having an improved Step 2 score will be beneficial in securing interviews. In either case you'll need a Step 2 score to be ranked at most programs, but you'll likely have taken it by then anyway. Based on your Step 1 score which you say is not good, having a Step 2 score in your initial application that was better will make you more competitive. You of course have to weigh that with the time that you'd spend preparing is time you can't be using to do a subinternship, etc. so you'll have to decide on an individual basis where your time is best spent.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say the above is obvious for lifelong acgme programs, (Im not trying to compete with most md grads)
what I'm referring to is traditional DO residencies that just started opting out of the aoa match this year

I would say the above is obvious for lifelong acgme programs, (Im not trying to compete with most md grads)
what I'm referring to is traditional DO residencies that just started opting out of the aoa match this year

These programs may be able to do the math between COMLEX and USMLE, but with a weaker Step 1, it depends if your COMLEX Levels 1 and 2 will be enough to compete with other applicants (MD or otherwise) who may have stronger scores than you. If you struggled on your Level 2, Step 2 *might* be a chance to improve on things to give yourself the best chance possible.

Through this whole process it makes no sense to make decisions that could possibly limit you. Each PD probably has their own opinion about it, so best to just cover all those your bases.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Through this whole process it makes no sense to make decisions that could possibly limit you. Each PD probably has their own opinion about it, so best to just cover all those your bases.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Keep in mind that taking Step 2 can be limiting if your score is lackluster. It's not as simple as "taking it is only a good thing." Preparing for the COMLEX is different in many ways versus the USMLE, as different topics tend to have different levels of importance, so you can knock the COMLEX out of the park and perform poorly on the USMLE or vice versa. If you're scoring well on NBMEs, go for it, but if not, it can do some damage.

Well, now with all the horror stories of people taking level II I will seriously consider USMLE now.
Going to take uW sa. Hopefully it goes well (>225). Been scoring around 65-70% on sets these days. One 73, 77% set too.

Took uwsa form 1
67%
238 three letter score.
Maybe I will take it now

For all those who commented..
They went fairly well for me.
Bumped up Comlex by 98 and usmle by 42!
538, 239 respectively.

Reactions: 4 users