About to apply to SLP grad programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RemiJP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be a senior Comm. Sciences and Disorders major in the fall. I'm hoping to become a medical SLP. I have very little interest in working in schools/EI at this point. My major concern right now is that I feel like I get very little support from faculty members in my program when I say that I'm interested in working in a hospital. Most of my friends who are grad students in the program get jobs working in EI or in special ed. collaboratives.

I'll be in Senior Field Experience in the fall at a school for children with emotional/behavioral problems and other special needs. When I expressed a strong desire (I've discussed this at every meeting over the past three years) to be placed in a hospital for Senior Field Experience, she strong discouraged me every time. I understand that it's important as an undergrads to get hands-on experience with treatment planning, documentation, etc. But I'm still frustrated! I would really prefer to spend an entire semester shadowing an SLPs working in the hospital!

Were any med SLPs in my shoes as undergrads?

Members don't see this ad.

I can understand your frustration. A friend of mine would like to do geriatric SLP for those recovering from a stroke. She just had to stick with the graduate program's curriculum. Her advisors there understand what she wanted and tried to give her clinic locations she wanted but it is a non-specialized degree and so she had to fulfill all rotational requirements which included working in a school. I think it is important to not let anyone discourage you from anything you want to do.

Thanks for the reply, AudNaples!

I am applying to a program that offers either a medical track or a "core SLP" track. I really hope I get into the med SLP track, so I can dive into all of the topics that interest me right away. But they only accept 25 applicants! :/

Members don't see this ad :)
RemiJP -

Thanks for your PM :)

I wouldn't worry too much about your undergrad placement. You are required to have a Master's degree to practice in the US. You will have a full year of internships once you get to grad school, one being child-based and the other adult-based. Typically the adult-based internship is in a hospital or rehab center, so you'll get plenty of hands-on experience with adult neuro.

My child internship was also medical-based because I did not want to work in the schools. I opted out of the school certification process for this reason, too, and I've found PLENTY of work in hospitals and nursing homes since graduation.

Once you graduate you will have no trouble finding a job. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks, Megboo!