AAMC SB P/S #8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nostra_damus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I've been staring at this problem for a really long time, and still cannot figure it out. It seems that they are equating the sound that goes into the oscilloscope as the same as the energy that goes to the energy meter, but I'm not sure how this plays out on the diagram.

My questions are:
1. How is the energy of the meter different from Hu?
2. And, if there is no energy going to the detector, would that mean there would be no sound being detected in the oscilloscope?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 9.23.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 9.23.48 PM.png
    315.9 KB · Views: 39
Hu is the energy absorbed by the chemical bond. In order to accurately calculate this value, we need to accurately determine Hnr. Therefore it's safe to assume that if the measured Hnr is accurate, the solution would have to absorb all of the energy.

1. Hu is the energy absorbed by the chemical bond whereas the energy detected by the detector is all of the energy that was not absorbed by the chemical bond or the solution (which should be 0).

2. The energy meter and oscilloscope are not detecting the same thing. All of the energy absorbed by the solution is detected as sound by the oscilloscope. The energy meter is detecting the energy that was emitted from the laser that is NOT absorbed by the chemical bond or solution (which should be 0).