AAFP Magazine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

septoplasty

Exceptional
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So like many of you, i'm a member of the AAFP, get their monthly magazine..

Now, this has been going on for along time, but why the heck is 75%+ of the magazine just drug ads? Anyone else irritated by this?

Besides the obvious conflict of interest, its a huge waste of resources/time for everybody (except the pharm). Interestingly, a non-medical friend got a hold of one of my issues.. and this is the biggest thing he noted, he kinda almost played into how our field is "controlled by big pharma".

AFAIK, the magazine isn't "Free", thus it probably doesn't need sponsorship to be printed, nor does the AAFP (membership fees) need additional resources to keep afloat.

Anyone have any thoughts?

If the AAFP is listening, we'd love to hear why this is so.

Members don't see this ad.

AFAIK, the magazine isn't "Free", thus it probably doesn't need sponsorship to be printed, nor does the AAFP (membership fees) need additional resources to keep afloat.

You'd be surprised. Granted, this quote is from 10 years ago, and maybe they're doing things a little differently now...but I doubt it.

"In a 2006 report for its board of directors, the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) analyzed its resources and activities and concluded that it was not financially possible to forgo industry funding for any of its activities without imposing unacceptable cuts in services to members or increased member costs. For its fiscal year 2006-2007 budget, AAFP projected that less than 38 percent of its income ($31 million of a total budget of $80 million) would come from dues and sales of products and services to its members. Approximately 42 percent ($34 million) would come from the pharmaceutical industry, of which about 60 percent would come from advertising in the academy’s journal and 13 percent would come from payments for exhibits at meetings."

Conflict of Interest in Medical Research, Education, and Practice

It's difficult for any large professional organization to completely cut itself off from industry funding. I honestly have no problem with this, as long as it doesn't influence editorial or educational content. Today, authors and speakers are much better about disclosing conflicts of interest than they were in the past, as it's required for most CME accreditation, and by most editors and speakers bureaus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So like many of you, i'm a member of the AAFP, get their monthly magazine..

Now, this has been going on for along time, but why the heck is 75%+ of the magazine just drug ads? Anyone else irritated by this?

Besides the obvious conflict of interest, its a huge waste of resources/time for everybody (except the pharm). Interestingly, a non-medical friend got a hold of one of my issues.. and this is the biggest thing he noted, he kinda almost played into how our field is "controlled by big pharma".

Anyone have any thoughts?

If the AAFP is listening, we'd love to hear why this is so.

Don't read the ads. Just flip past them to the articles. Better yet, pay for up to date yourself and reduce those ads to almost nothing.

Find a journal that doesn't have lots of drug ads...

Certainly an option I'm considering, I think the Journey of FP is a bit less.

You'd be surprised. Granted, this quote is from 10 years ago, and maybe they're doing things a little differently now...but I doubt it.

"In a 2006 report for its board of directors, the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) analyzed its resources and activities and concluded that it was not financially possible to forgo industry funding for any of its activities without imposing unacceptable cuts in services to members or increased member costs. For its fiscal year 2006-2007 budget, AAFP projected that less than 38 percent of its income ($31 million of a total budget of $80 million) would come from dues and sales of products and services to its members. Approximately 42 percent ($34 million) would come from the pharmaceutical industry, of which about 60 percent would come from advertising in the academy’s journal and 13 percent would come from payments for exhibits at meetings."

Conflict of Interest in Medical Research, Education, and Practice

It's difficult for any large professional organization to completely cut itself off from industry funding. I honestly have no problem with this, as long as it doesn't influence editorial or educational content. Today, authors and speakers are much better about disclosing conflicts of interest than they were in the past, as it's required for most CME accreditation, and by most editors and speakers bureaus.

Didn't realize the AAFP had a budget of $80 mill, no wonder they are asking for $700 a year for membership.

Any alternatives, the thing I liked about the AAFP was it tracked CME, and you can submit directly to the ABFM.

Don't read the ads. Just flip past them to the articles. Better yet, pay for up to date yourself and reduce those ads to almost nothing.

Yep.

I also like to take some articles and "store" it in my little study folder, removing those ad pages takes much more time and effort haha. Guess can't have it all..