AAFP Conference Workshops

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F1rstGen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the process of registering for this years AAFP conference (I'll be an M3 when I attend). I see where we have the option to preregister for a long list of specialty workshops (suture, injection, etc) but these are ~$90 a pop which seems pretty high to me. My questions are:

1. Would you recommend signing up for some of these workshops to fill my time at the conference or will their be other events going on during these times so that I won't be left with empty gaps in my schedule?

2. Are there free workshops at the conference in addition to the paid ones?

Anyone that has participated in the paid workshops (I'm mostly interested in the into-suture workshop) please let me know if you felt like they were worth the expense/time. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I went to the conference as a student and used most of my time to go to residency booths to set up 4th year electives. I'd go to 1 workshop if you'd like...most of your time gets filled up with the mixers in the evening, and free seminars they do have.

I went as an M4 and signed up for 1 workshop. I'm glad I did, it was a great workshop. But it's pricey and networking at the residency booths is more important than doing multiple workshops. If I were you I would do 1 that you're really interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have never been to the family medicine conference but have been to the AMSSM sports conference. "Filling your time" so that there are no gaps sounds like a good idea now but sitting through all of those lectures will wear on you and you will wish you had down time at some point. The networking is the better choice for "time filling".