1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

AACPMAS 2017/2018 cycle

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by ill be a doc soon, Jul 29, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. smurfeyD

smurfeyD 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Im not sure! I have DMU on Friday. So I want to wait and see.

3.55cgpa 3.4 sgpa. 498 mcat
    Thousands of volunteer and work hours in the healthcare field.

Also Mormon (midwestern is basically BYU) haha

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. PW96

PW96

May 23, 2017
    I am having a hard time deciding on if and how many interviews I should go to. I did the summer internship at Temple and interviewed there so I will hear back around October 9th, but I have received interviews from Barry, Kent, Western, and Midwestern. I plan on going to Kent because I can drive there and Barry because it's the closer one of the others and I've been looking at it a while, but don't know about Western and Midwestern. I really don't have my heart set on any school and don't know which one I would want to attend, which makes me think I should go to at least 3 of the 4 interviews, if not all, but it is hard because flights are expensive and hard to miss class. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining, I'm just curious what your guys opinions are on interviewing since I know we are all in the same boat.

4. mbb21

mbb21

Jun 20, 2017
    Haha! The first student I met there was wearing a BYU hat. Good stuff.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM
  5. DexterMorganSK

DexterMorganSK The Blood Guy

Jul 16, 2016
    You should read the post that @Weirdy made here somewhere regarding your concerns.

Basically, you will do fine at any of the schools you chose to attend. But, when choosing one school, factor in the cost, weather (snow vs heat), where you see yourself happy for the next 4-years, if you need to be closer to your family or not, etc. Also, factor in which state you would like to match and practice in.

smurfeyD and MidnightSun32 like this.
  6. med2345

med2345

Oct 16, 2015
    Still waiting for my transcript entry now that i submitted everything and my transcripts are there and also verification... blehhhhhhh

7. MidnightSun32

MidnightSun32 SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor 7+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I applied to all schools and was confident I would interview everywhere. Well, I just had an interview on Monday that cost me $1600 in flights, $200 hotel, and cab fare. It also takes me an entire day to fly to any of the schools to spend a few hours there just to turn around, spend the day in the air, and show up to work the next day exhausted. My recent interview (and doing the DMU preview) was eye opening in what I want in a school. I will attend my next one on Monday and if these two result in an acceptance, I may interview at one other school but that's it. On the plus side, I earned a new status on my frequent flyer program in just a couple trips!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    DexterMorganSK likes this.
  8. outofstep

outofstep

May 30, 2017
    This. I've already withdrawn my application from some schools.

smurfeyD and MidnightSun32 like this.
  9. SideShade

SideShade

Apr 28, 2017
    yeah, i've gotten 6 II so far, i think I will only go to 4 of them

10. smurfeyD

smurfeyD 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Which schools? If you dont mind me asking

11. MidnightSun32

Mar 12, 2009
    @smurfeyD Scholl and Temple. I really like what they have to offer, am looking for a big school with diversity, and also very interested in pursuing DPM/PhD. I felt really good at Scholl. I definitely think I would be happy there. One of the DPMs I work with went there and we went over pros/cons. I have Temple on Monday so I am eager to see how I feel there. I have a lot of support and familiarity with both cities. Originally DMU was my top choice until digging a little deeper into what I want in a program. Edited to add that there is an agreement with Cali schools and AZ for lower interest or whatever so I will probably interview in Cali if offered. Not sure of AZ to be honest.

12. smurfeyD

smurfeyD 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Thats awesome. Ive heard nothing but amazing things about those schools

13. MidnightSun32

Mar 12, 2009
    I added another part to my post. I am interested in Cali schools possibly because of the agreement with my state. It's tough trying to decide where the best fit is without going to them all but that's just not possible. Where are you most interested?

14. mbb21

mbb21

Jun 20, 2017
    I decided early on what I want in a school. I want to attend a school that is integrated with DO students, has high board pass rates, and isn't in a huge city. DMU and MWU fit the bill.

I was lucky and was able to schedule those two interviews very early. I received interview invitations from everywhere else, but scheduled them for late September and early October.

Yesterday, after receiving an acceptance from MWU, I went ahead and cancelled all my other interviews. Now I'm just waiting for an admissions decision from DMU and I can make my choice.

I figure this will save me a lot of time, money and stress.

outofstep, MidnightSun32 and smurfeyD like this.
  15. smurfeyD

smurfeyD 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Basically ditto to everything you said

MidnightSun32 likes this.
  16. MedGIRLY

MedGIRLY

Sep 6, 2017
    ah! Those are not bad stats at all...wonder why the wait list :(

17. MedGIRLY

MedGIRLY

Sep 6, 2017
    stats??

18. smurfeyD

smurfeyD 2+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2015
    My stats are above haha I wasnt waitlisted

19. outofstep

outofstep

May 30, 2017
    I was the one waitlisted haha. sGPA 2.9 cGPA 3.1 MCAT 493 and 497. I know my stats aren't the best but I was a biochem major and excelled in my biochem classes, which the AZPOD interviewers said that they don't see often and that many students struggle with biochem. Also have 40+hours shadowing 2 DPMs and was able to observe several surgeries.

20. med2345

med2345

Oct 16, 2015
    Id assume its just your GPA. AZPOD on their admission has really high GPA averages like 3.5 and 3.4 science. Much higher than all the other schools but I don't see why you wouldn't get in probably anywhere else or scholarshipped with a 497

21. SideShade

SideShade

Apr 28, 2017
    got interview invite from scholl

22. outofstep

outofstep

May 30, 2017
    I'm not worried about it. I'm very grateful to have even been considered for an interview.

23. catsfan1

catsfan1

May 12, 2017
    For everyone who has already received an interview invite to scholl did all of you write a diversity statement or did some receive invites without? Thanks!

24. poditrained

poditrained

Dec 21, 2016
    Nice! What were the dates available?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 6:11 PM
  25. mbb21

mbb21

Jun 20, 2017
    I wrote one, but I've heard a few people mention they got an interview without it.

26. PashaOdesit

PashaOdesit

Feb 4, 2017
    I have the same question

27. PashaOdesit

PashaOdesit

Feb 4, 2017
    Are there any pod students or pre-pods on this forum who read or help with providing feedback for Personal Statements?

28. SideShade

SideShade

Apr 28, 2017
    I found out that I forgot to submit it when I sent out application... but still got an interview invite

Monday, September 18, 2017
    Monday, September 25, 2017
    Monday, October 2, 2017

Monday, October 16, 2017
    Monday, October 23, 2017

PashaOdesit and poditrained like this.
  29. Podstar

Podstar Red Sox WS 2017 Gold Donor

Mar 2, 2017
    You can PM me it.

30. I wrote one, only because I felt like there was something worth writing that they might like. I wouldn't have done it otherwise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

31. phamster

phamster

Mar 4, 2016
    Anyone hear from CSPM?

32. mbb21

mbb21

Jun 20, 2017
    They're the only school I haven't heard from yet.

33. SideShade

SideShade

Apr 28, 2017
    nope, i can't even send them my LoR through interfolio.
    I haven't heard from Samuel Merritt and Des Moines

34. Podstar

Mar 2, 2017
    Last cycle I was instructed to send my LOR to Dr. Tran's email via interfolio for CSPM.

35. poditrained

poditrained

Dec 21, 2016
    How did you guys send LOR's to schools through Interfolio? Would it work to deliver them through email @ their admissions email address?
    Interfolio charges me $30 per school ON TOP of the $50 "annual fee" just to send the letters by regular mail... ridiculous.

36. SideShade

SideShade

Apr 28, 2017
    1. Click [+] New Delivery
    2. Search for school name or Podiatric under [Find an Opportunity]
    3. Click the school you want to send your LoRs to
    4. Click [✅]Start Application
    5. Add your LoR and submit

PashaOdesit and poditrained like this.
  37. MedGIRLY

MedGIRLY

Sep 6, 2017
    interviewed at Kent a few days ago. Anyone else get questioned about grades during interview?! Good sign or bad??

38. SideShade

SideShade

Apr 28, 2017
    what was your stats?
    if it's high, maybe they liked it?
    i'm going to have interview with them soon myself, i'll give an update if they ask me about my grades as well

39. MedGIRLY

MedGIRLY

Sep 6, 2017
    3.66 cum. 3.05 sci 494 mcat. Well they asked me about a lab that I failed 2 years ago, but it was a lab I didn't even need for graduation.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    SideShade likes this.
  40. MidnightSun32

Mar 12, 2009
    I've been asked about grades at both recent interviews I attended. I had a semester dip in grades randomly so they wanted to know what happened and then quickly moved on. I think I gave a one sentence response which was all they were looking for. 3.5cGPA and 3.6sGPA (science degree). At my interview today, they had the couple bad grades circled so when I saw that I was a little worried but it really wasn't too bad. My interviewer scored my interview in front of me which was both terrifying but calming at the same time. He also told me how I did.

41. Podstar

Mar 2, 2017
    This is a regular interview question at kent.

42. MedGIRLY

MedGIRLY

Sep 6, 2017
    okay!! I wasnt sure, thanks!!!

43. med2345

med2345

Oct 16, 2015
    From what I've seen pretty much everyone gets asked about grades. I would say just routine/ not good or bad

44. outofstep

outofstep

May 30, 2017
    Received an email from CSPM earlier this evening stating they they've received my application. Received an II about 30mins ago.

MidnightSun32 likes this.
  45. mbb21

mbb21

Jun 20, 2017
    Also got an II from CSPM. We've now heard from all 9!

outofstep likes this.
  46. Weirdy

Weirdy

Mar 2, 2016
    Sorry been busy.

Will copy paste or tag. Lemme find it.

DexterMorganSK likes this.
  47. Weirdy

Weirdy

Mar 2, 2016
    Too lazy to find post so here goes:

1) Pick the place where you'll be happiest and do the best during high stress environment. If it depends on weather, facilities, faculty, vibe of the students there then so be it. No criteria is too "nitpicky" or irrelevant. I picked strictly off of warm vs cold weather as primary. I do not regret my decision.

2) Interview at your top 2. Add 1 more as a safety. I had weak stats/medium-strong resume 2.9sgpa 496 mcat. I still got invites to all 9 but applied very early and was done with interviews by mid-end October.

3) Professors at your current institution will understand you have interviews. Apply. Write down all confirmed interview dates. Compare syllabus+ interview schedule and email blast those profs will all interview dates. They will work with you as long as you are not being unreasonable. Same applies to work schedules.

4) Use Airbnb for lodgings unless the price of Uber + Airbnb > discount Hotel + free shuttle provided at certain campuses (Kent comes to mind). Make an account with 1 airline and rack up points. Make the account sign up with your email do whatever it is. It will save you alot of money in the long run and will gain you a lot of miles. I regret not doing that.

I had loans saved up for travel expenses/lodging. Even then I crashed on couches or people I knew. If finances are tight, apply to your top 5. Confirm interviews with top 3 while scheduling your top picks first. I advise going to all 3. Your top picks may end up being your worse and the darkhorse may end up being your favorite.

Last but not least go with your gut. No matter how shiny a campus is, how nice the students are, how great the weather is, if you have a gut feeling that says you may not be successful there, listen to it. Go with your gut.

48. outofstep

outofstep

May 30, 2017
    I haven't heard about a decision about my application from Kent. I might have to give them a call sometime this week

49. HopefullyAdoc2B

HopefullyAdoc2B

Mar 9, 2017
    Same with me tonight as well

50. Weirdy

Weirdy

Mar 2, 2016
    Maybe I'll run into you guys interview day.

51. SideShade

SideShade

Apr 28, 2017
    nice!
    I'm at 8/9 at the moment, waiting for des moines.
    I'm not sure about going to all the II's though.. costs too much

Did you already do your interview? I've heard that it takes a week for them to get back to you

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 2:40 AM