aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there is a date in which applicants can only hold one acceptance. I know this exists for MD and DO applicants but wasn't sure for DPM

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there is a date in which applicants can only hold one acceptance. I know this exists for MD and DO applicants but wasn't sure for DPM
This doesn't exist for podiatry afaik, but I think it's also less likely for pre-pods to hold more than 1 acceptance because the podiatry application process moves more quickly. A lot of schools are willing to give you a deposit extension also.

Anyone still shadowing or plans to shadow while waiting for the MCAT score? I already have a DPM letter but was thinking to shadow after the MCAT to get another letter, in case my score is not too hot. Ideally, the letter would be from a faculty or a residency director!

Yes. I got into the good book of the doc I shadowed and he actually volunteered to write me a recc letter without me asking.

But I want another letter from another doc.

And I keep shadowing to see different cases, demographic of patients, and this might be stupid but, I wanted to see if I'll start to lose interest in the whole thing after a while. I treated it like a job basically and I was curious if I would have a melt down seeing feet all the time for like 4 months.

hope this helps. My grades are my weakest points on my app so I'm trying to be a superstar in regards to mcat, shadowing, extra curric.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still shadowing or plans to shadow while waiting for the MCAT score? I already have a DPM letter but was thinking to shadow after the MCAT to get another letter, in case my score is not too hot. Ideally, the letter would be from a faculty or a residency director!
Like dr.phoot, I shadowed a different podiatrist (after I had already been accepted actually) in order to see different cases and see how different clinics were run. It was a good experience, and I'm really glad I decided to do it.

Yes. I got into the good book of the doc I shadowed and he actually volunteered to write me a recc letter without me asking.

But I want another letter from another doc.

And I keep shadowing to see different cases, demographic of patients, and this might be stupid but, I wanted to see if I'll start to lose interest in the whole thing after a while. I treated it like a job basically and I was curious if I would have a melt down seeing feet all the time for like 4 months.

hope this helps. My grades are my weakest points on my app so I'm trying to be a superstar in regards to mcat, shadowing, extra curric.

Sounds great. I'm hoping to shadow someone at NYCPM (they were very friendly and invited us to shadow when I went for their seminars a few months back). I mean a letter from the faculty might seem better than an avg pod in case my application need that boost...lol

So, have you finished the shadowing for 4 months already? Thoughts? Still like feet? lol

Reactions: 1 user
Like dr.phoot, I shadowed a different podiatrist (after I had already been accepted actually) in order to see different cases and see how different clinics were run. It was a good experience, and I'm really glad I decided to do it.

Thanks. Glad to hear. I shadowed a DPM in a clinic and another one in a hospital (about a week). The Lor is from the clinic as I was there for a few months, but I got to see all the cool/smelly/disgusting stuff in the hospital. There was a case where we had to use a toothpaste mask to combat the smell. I guess when you put the entire body into perspective, podiatry is pretty interesting.

Thanks. Glad to hear. I shadowed a DPM in a clinic and another one in a hospital (about a week). The Lor is from the clinic as I was there for a few months, but I got to see all the cool/smelly/disgusting stuff in the hospital. There was a case where we had to use a toothpaste mask to combat the smell. I guess when you put the entire body into perspective, podiatry is pretty interesting.

Lol.... did the person need surgery?

Sounds like you saw much better cases than I got to see!

Sounds great. I'm hoping to shadow someone at NYCPM (they were very friendly and invited us to shadow when I went for their seminars a few months back). I mean a letter from the faculty might seem better than an avg pod in case my application need that boost...lol

So, have you finished the shadowing for 4 months already? Thoughts? Still like feet? lol

Yeah, at this point I'm all set. I'm getting ready to send emails out and ask people to write my recc letters.

It's interesting about NYCPM. I got a few emails from them telling me about programs they were hosting; had I taken up the offer I probably would have bumped into you out there!

A lot of the docs in this area are NYCPM grads. Someone pointed out that docs don't practice far away from their Alma matter. The two docs I shadowed were recommended to me by NYCPM. And if you can shadow that faculty doc, push for it!! Even for grad school when there's a professor that can vouche for you, wants you for research they can have a say in your acceptance. I'll take that chance and go kiss some ass, if I could! lol....

Honestly, I'm not grossed out by feet but I can see that--realistically--I'm not going to be jumping out of bed for work everyday, you know? But I don't mind it. It's going to be a job / career for me and that's that. Good news is I can see myself doing it 20+ years. Passion? That's a different story!

Just told Kent I am not attending their school due to such a small scholarship... Down to Temple or NYC. I'm leaning towards Temple, waiting to see what NYC offers me. Temple has bigger everything and looks to have more cutting time on cadavers. Anyone know how big the NYCPM anatomy classes are? How many students to a body?

Just told Kent I am not attending their school due to such a small scholarship... Down to Temple or NYC. I'm leaning towards Temple, waiting to see what NYC offers me. Temple has bigger everything and looks to have more cutting time on cadavers. Anyone know how big the NYCPM anatomy classes are? How many students to a body?

Just want to applaud you for not settling for anything less than what you want! Good stuff. I just admire when people set a standard and won't compromise / take no for an answer. Wish I had that attitude.

Just want to applaud you for not settling for anything less than what you want! Good stuff. I just admire when people set a standard and won't compromise / take no for an answer. Wish I had that attitude.
My rationale:
-Less Debt
-Less Debt
-Less Debt
-More Cutting

4-6 students per body. They are divided into groups, and I think per lab has about 20-30 students. But don't quote me on this, only know from students during the seminar.

Maybe @El Barrio can respond!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if it's cutting time you want, at Temple during the first half of lower extremity anatomy (hip to knee) it was two people per limb and during the last half of lower extremity anatomy (leg, ankle, foot) we had extra legs shipped over from the DMD school (they only do anatomy down to the pelvis). Basically, about 15 students got to sign up to each have their own leg entirely to themself for all dissections below the knee. Of course it's extra work if you go that route that most people don't wanna deal with, but the option is there if you want it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Last edited:
No.

You can have multiple acceptances in hand and even ask for extensions if your top pick has not given you an answer yet because their interview may have been scheduled later.

There is no match process. Completely dependent on the school and you.

Reasoning? Careful with wearing a Red Sox hat over there
Cost of living, ability to rent a house with a yard for my dogs (this is a major factor for me), campus reminded me of my undergrad and Independence of my hometown (minus the weather), and the faculty/students were great. I also felt like they were more straight up and did not try to hide their programs flaws, which I did feel other schools did. Overall, the fit and feel of the school as people like to say is the main reason why it is my top choice right now. The only reservations I have is the winter weather and Cleveland Browns.

lol I actually changed into my Red Sox shirt after the interview day.

Reactions: 2 users

At NYCPM the class is split into two anatomy labs, the Tues group which for us was last name A-J plus all the 2021 January students and the Thurs group which was K-Z. It was 5-6 students per body but a lot of times there are those in the group who really like to cut and those who do't really want to. Lab runs for 4 hours from 2-6pm so there's plenty of time to cut although most students tried to get out an hour early at least in the Thurs group because we had so many tests scheduled for Friday mornings that we had to study for. Would have been nice being in that Tuesday group...

My AAMC FL1 bumped up to 503 (gained 1 point in C/P, lost 1 point in CARS, and gained 1 point in B/B) with the new scaling, about to start FL2. Super nervous to test Friday knowing my acceptances are pending this score!

My AAMC FL1 bumped up to 503 (gained 1 point in C/P, lost 1 point in CARS, and gained 1 point in B/B) with the new scaling, about to start FL2. Super nervous to test Friday knowing my acceptances are pending this score!

As long as you don't fall asleep on test day, you are getting into a podiatry school.

Thats an awesome score man. Good job!

I just withdrew my application from Kent, Temple gave me a much more generous scholarship and waiting on NYCPM to make a final decision. You fellas know how long they take to get back to you? They always say 2-4 weeks but it is usually several days.

I just withdrew my application from Kent, Temple gave me a much more generous scholarship and waiting on NYCPM to make a final decision. You fellas know how long they take to get back to you? They always say 2-4 weeks but it is usually several days.

How did your MCAT go?

And congrats on the Temple scholarship. You wanted it, you got it! All the best to you in the fall, wherever you decide to go!

How did your MCAT turn out if you don't mind me asking? Also our GPAs were similar, what do I need to score to land some scholarship at Kent?

How did your MCAT turn out if you don't mind me asking? Also our GPAs were similar, what do I need to score to land some scholarship at Kent?
My MCAT was a 497, all my scores were average, just bombed the psych/sociology. They asked me and I told them most of my test was sociology and I never took a sociology class.

Take god damn practice tests... I only did a practice section of each and it made me rush through the test due to timing problems.

Factors in Scholarship at Temple: GPA, MCAT, Volunteer. The interviewer really liked me and we talked about ambulance stuff, so I think that played a major role in my scholarship too.

My MCAT was a 497, all my scores were average, just bombed the psych/sociology. They asked me and I told them most of my test was sociology and I never took a sociology class.
None the less a good score, congrats on your acceptances and scholarships.

We can do it! Good luck Friday. I hope they go easy on calculations! :xf:

Take god damn practice tests... I only did a practice section of each and it made me rush through the test due to timing problems.

Factors in Scholarship at Temple: GPA, MCAT, Volunteer. The interviewer really liked me and we talked about ambulance stuff, so I think that played a major role in my scholarship too.
For real dude. The PS section for me was heavy sociology. And the Bio section was a freakin beeeeeaast

NYCPM got back to me at about a week and a half

Hello Everyone,

I will be attending NYCPM this fall. I was wondering if anyone is in the market to share and apartment? Its a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom place. 6 minute walk from the school. Male or female roommates. I will be traveling to NYC the second week of July to check the place out. PM for further details.

Does NYPCM have a FB page?

You'd have better luck on there. This post might break rules.

Does NYPCM have a FB page?

You'd have better luck on there. This post might break rules.
They do have a fb page but I requested to join it awhile ago and they haven't accepted me so I don't know how active it is

I requested to join too and haven't been accepted - I'm guessing so far they only have the Jan students in it
They do have a fb page but I requested to join it awhile ago and they haven't accepted me so I don't know how active it is

I guess Scholl will interview you with a committee and MD letter, b/c I just got my II.

How it go today? That bio section was something crazy and I ran out of time in cars...feels good to be done though....dam that exam is tiring!

Last edited:
How it go today? That bio section something crazy and I ran out of time in cars...feels good to be done though....dam that exam is tiring!
C/P and B/B were really tough for me and usually they are my best. I breezed through CARS and actually enjoyed it. P/S was okay I don't feel good or bad about it. I'm just hoping I did well enough to keep my acceptances at this point!

C/P and B/B were really tough for me and usually they are my best. I breezed through CARS and actually enjoyed it. P/S was okay I don't feel good or bad about it. I'm just hoping I did well enough to keep my acceptances at this point!

I'm just trying to get that interview at Nycpm. Have added temple and may add Barry also! I'm sure you did fine!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm just trying to get that interview at Nycpm. Have added temple and may add Barry also! I'm sure you did fine!!
I interview at Temple on the 22nd and Barry on the 5th, so let me know if you do add them and get one of those dates! Best of luck on your score as well.

Can I ask what you did to do well on the C/P & B/B sections? Those were always my worst and I wish I knew what I should have done to do better on them!

Can I ask what you did to do well on the C/P & B/B sections? Those were always my worst and I wish I knew what I should have done to do better on them!
Well I felt like today I did not do very well on them, but I was a biochem major with heavy research, so the research design questions when they ask to interpret data came easily for me. I mostly did practice passages and exams to study, not much content review, which I think hurt me today.

Well I felt like today I did not do very well on them, but I was a biochem major with heavy research, so the research design questions when they ask to interpret data came easily for me. I mostly did practice passages and exams to study, not much content review, which I think hurt me today.
Ahhh yeah the research design questions always killed me. I hated them. Thanks for the tips!!

Ahhh yeah the research design questions always killed me. I hated them. Thanks for the tips!!

Doing passage-based questions def help. Try getting your hands on the Berkely books or the new 101 books from Ek. Ek 30 min exams were a great practice, along with everything from AAMC. I think there was a passage on today's exam from one of the Psy/Soc Qpacks from AAMC.

Doing passage-based questions def help. Try getting your hands on the Berkely books or the new 101 books from Ek. Ek 30 min exams were a great practice, along with everything from AAMC. I think there was a passage on today's exam from one of the Psy/Soc Qpacks from AAMC.
Were those the QPacks that were like $12 for each section?

Do I send my final semester transcript to the AACPMAS or directly to the schools?
i sent mine to both just because I want to see my final GPAs calculated by AACPM just for my own knowledge. I know the schools said you can said it to them as well.

When will Midwestern stop conducting interviews?

When they've filled their seats.

Try giving them a call to see if they have any slots left.

I know for a fact Barry still does. Just got an email from them today saying they're interested in me starting upcoming Fall 2017 with interview dates the entire month of June.

Keep in mind I finished my priority interviews back in September and locked my decision in December.