aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish schools didn't use facebook groups. I guess i'll have to make one. :rolleyes:

92129c6f6afbb0b7b585eebaf5377d6a.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any of you guys get asked during your interview "if you have applied to other schools and how did you do"?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I was never asked that. Just if I applied to DO programs
Yeah I got asked those 2 questions at the NYCPM which I haven't been asked in my other interviews. Honestly that specific question threw me off but I said that it was my #1 choice and the interviewer took that answer and was pleased. How are your interviews going btw? where are you locked in at?

Any of you guys get asked during your interview "if you have applied to other schools and how did you do"?
NYCPM loved asking me about Temple specifically, which I thought was a bit odd. It wasn't just during my interview but other staff members that I met that day too. They joked that Temple was their rival school, but the Temple people never asked me about NYCPM when I interviewed there a few days prior. :p

Reactions: 3 users
NYCPM loved asking me about Temple specifically, which I thought was a bit odd. It wasn't just during my interview but other staff members that I met that day too. They joked that Temple was their rival school, but the Temple people never asked me about NYCPM when I interviewed there a few days prior. :p
Im sorry but I'm curious as to what they asked you specifically. I found it a bit humorous.

Yes, they asked me why I chose podiatry instead of MD or DO.
"Because I love podiatry. I have many friends who are podiatrists. Trust me, no one respects the podiatric profession more than I do. Its going to be amazing, and we are going to win." (said in a Trump voice)

Reactions: 1 users
Im sorry but I'm curious as to what they asked you specifically. I found it a bit humorous.
Haha I found it humorous as well! They asked me pretty light questions such as whether I applied/interviewed at Temple and which school I would choose if accepted to both.

"Because I love podiatry. I have many friends who are podiatrists. Trust me, no one respects the podiatric profession more than I do. Its going to be amazing, and we are going to win." (said in a Trump voice)

It's gonna be YUGE.

Hahahaha I go to Temple for undergrad and bro NYCPM absolutely GRILLED me it was awful

Hi, I am sorry if this question has asked before.. I was wondering if CSPM interview is going to be like a group interview or individual interview.. and do you have any tips for interview at CSPM? Thanks.

Hi, I am sorry if this question has asked before.. I was wondering if CSPM interview is going to be like a group interview or individual interview.. and do you have any tips for interview at CSPM? Thanks.
It will most likely be individual. That's how it has been in the past.

Check out the interview feedback. It is a good representation of what the interview will be like. Remember to fill it out after your interview so others might benefit.

Interview Feedback List | Student Doctor Network

Members don't see this ad :)

Individual.
Questions SLC posted link are 99.9% accurate.
Know all your strengths and weaknesses.
Know why you deserve a spot there.

For anyone who was accepted by Temple: how long after receiving the email did it take to receive the packet in the mail?

Accepted on a Monday, received the packet by Thursday.

For anyone who was accepted by Temple: how long after receiving the email did it take to receive the packet in the mail?

Been hearing some rumors and predictions that it's going to get harder to get into pod school next year. What you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Been hearing some rumors and predictions that it's going to get harder to get into pod school next year. What you guys think?

doesn't it get more difficult just like any other schools in medicine? I would personally assume that to be the case. I have no connections or inside information though.

Don't know what that is based on... It is no secret we want to raise the admission standards and stats, but given the applicant crisis this year I severely doubt they'll be in a position to do that.

Doubt it.

After DO grade replacement angst is over with, students will adapt and work to meet those standards.

If competition goes up for podiatry its a good thing. Not everyone wants to be a foot doctor. Those who have always had competitive stats will still have options. Those wanting it from day one with acceptable stats will still apply like normal.

It would prevent overcrowding if anything because schools will be less inclined to accept a student they know cannot perform well in order to fill seat numbers.

Doubt it.

After DO grade replacement angst is over with, students will adapt and work to meet those standards.

If competition goes up for podiatry its a good thing. Not everyone wants to be a foot doctor. Those who have always had competitive stats will still have options. Those wanting it from day one with acceptable stats will still apply like normal.

It would prevent overcrowding if anything because schools will be less inclined to accept a student they know cannot perform well in order to fill seat numbers.
Yeah, I think the grade replacement will just lower avg matriculated GPAs for DO.

Every week people in here are talking about "No money in Podiatry/low salaries", "Residency Shortage", "Decrease in applicant #" etc.
You really think MD/DO rejects are going to turn around and commit their next 7 years to Podiatry? I highly doubt it. The SMP/post-bacc programs are going to be the biggest winner this year.

Reactions: 4 users
Every week people in here are talking about "No money in Podiatry/low salaries", "Residency Shortage", "Decrease in applicant #" etc.
You really think MD/DO rejects are going to turn around and commit their next 7 years to Podiatry? I highly doubt it. The SMP/post-bacc programs are going to be the biggest winner this year.

Agreed. And, there are few DO schools that will be allowing the grade replacement ...atleast for the upcoming cycle!!

Don't know what that is based on... It is no secret we want to raise the admission standards and stats, but given the applicant crisis this year I severely doubt they'll be in a position to do that.

How do you know there is an applicant crisis this year?

Personally, I think there will be a lower amount of applicants to medicine in general. Better economy means more people going into business. There are a lot of undergrads who look at the time of training/debt and potential income and they would rather make more money faster.

You can always contact them and ask. I am currently accepted to Midwestern and our fb group is only at 17 or 18 people right now and I believe they take 30.

I'm accepted to but not apart of the Facebook group. I would imagine that there are more people out there too, so if ur gonna apply to Midwestern, now is the time.

Personally, I think there will be a lower amount of applicants to medicine in general. Better economy means more people going into business. There are a lot of undergrads who look at the time of training/debt and potential income and they would rather make more money faster.
Agreed. I will add, though, that a lot of my friends in undergrad that were pre-med/pre-dental had the classic idea engrained in their brains on their future career. They thought they were all millionaires, etc. I think we would all be shocked to see how little of them actually understand the ROI for med and dental school

You can always contact them and ask. I am currently accepted to Midwestern and our fb group is only at 17 or 18 people right now and I believe they take 30.

Interesting! I will give it a shot and see. how quick do you think they will be with an interview invite and accept/deny response thanks for your help. I already have a deposit in elsewhere but things wth my family have changed and this school has a better location

Interesting! I will give it a shot and see. how quick do you think they will be with an interview invite and accept/deny response thanks for your help. I already have a deposit in elsewhere but things wth my family have changed and this school has a better location

Response was within 1 week for me.

With your strong stats I can see them getting to you even sooner.
From a business standpoint, there is no reason to leave a seat empty when there are qualified applicants still out there.

But with rising costs of tuition, and the 1-2 years of working at almost med-school level without actually being in med school and only a certificate to show for it in the end especially if the program does not guarantee direct entry, you don't think at least some of the students will start to explore other options? Life is short.

How do you know there is an applicant crisis this year?

If you're a Pod student, ask your APMSA delegate. The APMA have talked about it pretty openly. A few professors as well. It's old news at this point.

But with rising costs of tuition, and the 1-2 years of working at almost med-school level without actually being in med school and only a certificate to show for it in the end especially if the program does not guarantee direct entry, you don't think at least some of the students will start to explore other options? Life is short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Example 2 of my friends with 3.0 flat were accepted to DO and a Dental school, so calling a DPM a DO reject is a slap in the face... I was going to apply to NYCOM, but decided it wasn't were my heart was.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you have a 3.8 GPA and a 490 on the MCAT, 75% of the time your school failed you. Of course many students are bad test takers, but these schools are awarding bull**** GPAs to many students. Just saying don't compare yourself to other people. Just remember it is more than scores or GPA, schools consider Majors, Course load and Science concentration. A literature major with a 4.0 and bare minimum pre-reqs is going to going to lose a seat to someone with a 3.75 Biochemistry major. Many schools also know the harder science schools/majors! It is not a mystery. If I was a BME major I would probably be at like a 2.75 ...

That's why I hate comparison threads... Sell yourself, not your stats...

At Kent State interview for example:

Intv: "Why did you drop molecular cell bio? How are you doing in it now?" (I had a W in one class)

Me: "My adviser told me to wait and take it after biochem with my course load, but my ego was too big, so I took it and was unable to keep up. Knowing I was not retaining the information well, I dropped it and planned to take it after biochemistry. Now I am top 15% on every test. I was immature in not acknowledging the pre-reqs and it made me a better student to know where I struggled".

-> They were very impressed with my honesty! Take responsibility for your actions, it shows maturity and retaking a class does not show weakness. <-

You know what really pissed me off the most in college? My friends whom struggled with one science course and gave up. If someone really wants to be a MD/DO/PA/RN/DDM they will do it. If a DPM/DO school says in an interview your grades are a little low, tell them you will work on them and be back in a year or two if you are not acceptsed, because you are driven to get into their program. They don't want to hear bull**** like Grey's Anatomy lines, how you struggled to work and go to school(75% of the applicants did too). That is how students with 3.0s get into DO/DPM/DDM schools FYI.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the pre-meds would mostly likely choose the 1-2 years of SMP option rather than choosing Podiatry. I just don't see fresh MD/DO rejects immediately locking themselves into something that they perceive as a "backup" career, especially one that takes a 7 year commitment. The SMP programs along with all the "question marks" that are brought up consistently in these boards is probably why the applicant pool is down this year.

But i don't have a crystal ball of course and i could be completely wrong. I think kids will apply to the SMP programs along with Podiatry, and they'll choose the former once accepted. I'm assuming this is the path being taken by many Podiatry applicants right now and we'll see an increase in this trend.

Recently at a fam gathering I mentioned my pursuit of pod, how I'll be getting there and people couldn't believe it! The general response was, if you're going to go through the same process same years of schooling, roughly the same loans, why not "go big, or go home"?

In all honesty they're right. Will I listen? No lol but they did make reasonable points. It's going to take the same schooling and years to become a pod but one direction will limit me to just the foot, the other direction lets me do everything and is in more demand.

So people have to really weigh the pros and cons and take the good with the bad.

I think DPT programs have a lesser applicant base than pod. Chiropractors are still in business and have schools running so podiatry will survive

Example 2 of my friends with 3.0 flat were accepted to DO and a Dental school, so calling a DPM a DO reject is a slap in the face... I was going to apply to NYCOM, but decided it wasn't were my heart was.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you have a 3.8 GPA and a 490 on the MCAT, 75% of the time your school failed you. Of course many students are bad test takers, but these schools are awarding bull**** GPAs to many students. Just saying don't compare yourself to other people. Just remember it is more than scores or GPA, schools consider Majors, Course load and Science concentration. A literature major with a 4.0 and bare minimum pre-reqs is going to going to lose a seat to someone with a 3.75 Biochemistry major. Many schools also know the harder science schools/majors! It is not a mystery. If I was a BME major I would probably be at like a 2.75 ...

That's why I hate comparison threads... Sell yourself, not your stats...

At Kent State interview for example:

Intv: "Why did you drop molecular cell bio? How are you doing in it now?" (I had a W in one class)

Me: "My adviser told me to wait and take it after biochem with my course load, but my ego was too big, so I took it and was unable to keep up. Knowing I was not retaining the information well, I dropped it and planned to take it after biochemistry. Now I am top 15% on every test. I was immature in not acknowledging the pre-reqs and it made me a better student to know where I struggled".

-> They were very impressed with my honesty! Take responsibility for your actions, it shows maturity and retaking a class does not show weakness. <-

You know what really pissed me off the most in college? My friends whom struggled with one science course and gave up. If someone really wants to be a MD/DO/PA/RN/DDM they will do it. If a DPM/DO school says in an interview your grades are a little low, tell them you will work on them and be back in a year or two if you are not acceptsed, because you are driven to get into their program. They don't want to hear bull**** like Grey's Anatomy lines, how you struggled to work and go to school(75% of the applicants did too). That is how students with 3.0s get into DO/DPM/DDM schools FYI.

I think your words are a little strong lol....

But what I'll say--and I saw this with my own two eyes--concerning high science GPAs and low MCATs:

(1) no, the school or curriculum did not fail the student

(2) mcat type of question is probably not what many premed students are taking in their gen chem - advanced p chem courses

(3) one of the mcat prep books even said, don't think a phd with help you with the mcat. In fact having that advanced knowledge in the subject will let you over think very simple things and the test was designed not to be that in depth. You only need the basic concepts covered!

(4) you spend an entire semester with a professor, getting to know their style and how they like to ask questions so you have a better shot doing well on their exams. That's not the case with the MCAT!

(5) Bro, It's only on SDN where they parade this: MD -> DO -> DPM/PA etc etc. In real life it isn't the case at all. The backup for MD/DO certainly isn't DPM. They don't even do the same thing. PA / DNP are more closer to the primary care.

If you consider the histories of why PA, DO, DNP, were created, it's not what the SDN crowd is portraying.

Reactions: 2 users
At my undergrad, as a premed major if you received a C in a science course, then the so-called "advisors" would tell you that your chance of becoming a doctor was over...lol

It was all about getting into an MD school or nothing else. Slowly, they started preaching about DO but DPM was never mentioned, even though NYCPM is like 15 miles away from the undergrad institution.

:smack:

Last edited:
At my undergrad, as a premed major if you received a C in a science course, then the so called "advisors" would tell you that your chance of becoming a doctor was over...lol

It was all about getting into a MD school or nothing else. Slowly, they started preaching about DO but DPM was never mentioned, even though NYCPM is like 15 miles away from the undergrad institution.

‍♂️

Lol similar things are done here on SDN too.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you have a 3.8 GPA and a 490 on the MCAT, 75% of the time your school failed you. Of course many students are bad test takers, but these schools are awarding bull**** GPAs to many students.
Disagree. Someone with a 3.8 GPA, but cant afford to take off 3-4 months off from work to study full time for the MCAT may get a lower score than someone with a 3.3 GPA who can afford to not work at all. MCAT is a completely different beast than actual courses. Which is why schools dont just consider one stat. They consider the applicant as a whole. Maybe his academic record is low but his EC's are stupendous. Selling yourself is for interviews. But you better believe you have to sell your stats on your application since that is what ADCOMs do. Comparison threads just try and mimic what ADCOMs do. It helps alleviate the anxiety of people that may wonder if its worth it to apply. I see your point in fluff majors, but its comforting to know there are so many factors that determine if a student is accepted or not.

Disagree. Someone with a 3.8 GPA, but cant afford to take off 3-4 months off from work to study full time for the MCAT may get a lower score than someone with a 3.3 GPA who can afford to not work at all. MCAT is a completely different beast than actual courses. Which is why schools dont just consider one stat. They consider the applicant as a whole. Maybe his academic record is low but his EC's are stupendous. Selling yourself is for interviews. But you better believe you have to sell your stats on your application since that is what ADCOMs do. Comparison threads just try and mimic what ADCOMs do. It helps alleviate the anxiety of people that may wonder if its worth it to apply. I see your point in fluff majors, but its comforting to know there are so many factors that determine if a student is accepted or not.

Very well said! Also don't forget the biology/physics/chem/art/history department doesn't design its curriculum with pre-meds in mind! The courses aren't really to help you pass the mcat. That responsibility is on your own shoulders! There are some biology programs that only require about one semester of orgo, one semester of physics. You'll be fortunate to get a teacher whose exams emphasis understanding rather than memorization this way you'll approach your studies by looking at the big picture vrs do I need to know this for the test?

So absolutely agree. I think they had a similar discussion to this in the thread about the boards pass rate. It was agreed in the end that the student carries a majority of the responsibility to pass their boards and not so much whether the pod school combines with MD/DO.

As someone who works full time and goes to school full time. at my school my biochem study buddy is going to Harvard med... maybe my view is biased, but what I was saying is many schools are way too easy and not preparing students. In my school there was nothing in the review books i did not once study.

Just my opinion, not trying to say everyone is in that category. My reasoning is just to show X+Y doesn't = Z. There are 2(of 300) kids in my program who have a 4.0 . Both 99th percentile on MCAT. My logic may be flawed, not doubting that. If you have a 4.0 in a biology degree an get a 115 in your bio section something is wrong...

* I'm typing from a phone

Last edited:
As someone who works full time and goes to school full time. at my school my biochem study buddy is going to Harvard med... maybe my view is biased, but what I was saying is many schools are way too easy and not preparing students. In my school there was nothing in the review books i did not once study.

Just my opinion, not trying to say everyone is in that category.

Lol... don't worry, champ. I'm just trying to present you with the other side of the coin. No offense taken whatsoever.

I'm curious why you feel the way you so though. Seriously. What are you basing your generalization on? How many colleges have you attended? Taken classes at?

I'm aware you're at Stony Brook. I graduated from a SUNY also. I'm aware of Stony Brook's rep along with Bing, Buff, and Albany!

Kids from my SUNY went to ivy's too. So what's your reasoning to say that schools aren't doing a good job preparing their students? Because of doing well GPA wise but bombing the MCAT?

Again, I'm not attacking you, I just want to read your $0.02 on the topic. I find it interesting lol

Lol... don't worry, champ. I'm just trying to present you with the other side of the coin. No offense taken whatsoever.

I'm curious why you feel the way you so though. Seriously. What are you basing your generalization on? How many colleges have you attended? Taken classes at?

I'm aware you're at Stony Brook. I graduated from a SUNY also. I'm aware of Stony Brook's rep along with Bing, Buff, and Albany!

Kids from my SUNY went to ivy's too. So what's your reasoning to say that schools aren't doing a good job preparing their students? Because of doing well GPA wise but bombing the MCAT?

Again, I'm not attacking you, I just want to read your $0.02 on the topic. I find it interesting lol

Yeah I'm just saying some schools aren't preparing students. This goes for both private and public schools. I said earlier if you are a biochem/bio major and get a 115 bio section with a 4.0 it is not a good look.

Also, people have real world problems. My generalization is for kids who are in a stable environment.

Yeah I'm just saying some schools aren't preparing students. This goes for both private and public schools. I said earlier if you are a biochem/bio major and get a 115 bio section with a 4.0 it is not a good look.

Also, people have real world problems. My generalization is for kids who are in a stable environment.

But here's where I don't really understand you:

Oh sure I was a bio/biochem major but consider I'll be going up to advanced 400 level bio/biochem. That test is only testing up to sophomore year bio/biochem! And assuming all MCAT takers regardless of major will be taking Bio I & II, Chem I & II, the only separation would be those whose curriculum mandates that they take biochem. So in theory the playing field is almost leveled in the sense that any premed will take classes that covers a bulk of the material tested which is just the freshman - sophomore level stuff.

Like I said, one of the mcat review books even pointed out, don't think a PhD level of mastery will provide a upper hand since the test is really simple and is testing just the bare minimum basic concepts. Anyone studying to a more advanced level will probably over think the material.

Another factor you're not considering is when the person takes the exam, what score they're aiming for, what school, what program, what GPA, study technique which are probably heavier on your test result than bio/biochem major. My best score--I anticipate--will probably fall in verbal, CARS. I've been spending most time on that, I've done the most practice questions on that. And I'm coming from a biology background.

Your view is interesting though. I don't think being a bio major gives you much of an upper hand. The music major going to med school who takes bio I & II and studies the right way for this exam certainly could beat the bio student who doesn't put in as much effort, don't you think?

Stable environment comes with its own set of issues too.

But here's where I don't really understand you:

Oh sure I was a bio/biochem major but consider I'll be going up to advanced 400 level bio/biochem. That test is only testing up to sophomore year bio/biochem! And assuming all MCAT takers regardless of major will be taking Bio I & II, Chem I & II, the only separation would be those whose curriculum mandates that they take biochem. So in theory the playing field is almost leveled in the sense that any premed will take classes that covers a bulk of the material tested which is just the freshman - sophomore level stuff.

Like I said, one of the mcat review books even pointed out, don't think a PhD level of mastery will provide a upper hand since the test is really simple and is testing just the bare minimum basic concepts. Anyone studying to a more advanced level will probably over think the material.

Another factor you're not considering is when the person takes the exam, what score they're aiming for, what school, what program, what GPA, study technique which are probably heavier on your test result than bio/biochem major. My best score--I anticipate--will probably fall in verbal, CARS. I've been spending most time on that, I've done the most practice questions on that. And I'm coming from a biology background.

Your view is interesting though. I don't think being a bio major gives you much of an upper hand. The music major going to med school who takes bio I & II and studies the right way for this exam certainly could beat the bio student who doesn't put in as much effort, don't you think?

Stable environment comes with its own set of issues too.
My point is, some schools are teaching very watered down classes. If you take biochem and they barely cover Pentose shunt or glyconeogenesis the school is putting you at a disadvantage. At the end of the day whoever studies the hardest gets the highest score. Not denying that.

* I'm also not trying to do the my school is better thing.

Last edited:
My point is, some schools are teaching very watered down classes. If you take biochem and they barely cover Pentose shunt or glyconeogenesis the school is putting you at a disadvantage. At the end of the day whoever studies the hardest gets the highest score. Not denying that.

* I'm also not trying to do the my school is better thing.
I wonder if ADCOMs kinda know the schools where students have fluffed GPAs but perform poorly in pod school. I would assume they recognize those trends