aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did apply within 2 days of the app opening and I'm already in my gap year...I'm pretty sure the only thing holding me back is my MCAT. So like someone said I'll grow a spine and probably end up re taking it even though I've tried a lot -_- but either way, I used to be worried about taking too many years off but it'll be worth it once i find something I really like

Members don't see this ad.

I did apply within 2 days of the app opening and I'm already in my gap year...I'm pretty sure the only thing holding me back is my MCAT. So like someone said I'll grow a spine and probably end up re taking it even though I've tried a lot -_- but either way, I used to be worried about taking too many years off but it'll be worth it once i find something I really like

please, clarify for me - did you apply to podiatry schools and got rejected, or you applied for allopathic/osteopathic medical schools and got rejected?

Reactions: 1 user

Same question as dr. phoot.

And I took my mcat thrice. Abysmal scores but the last one was good enough to get in. I don't know your grades or mcat so I won't speculate, but maybe you stand a better shot than you think for podiatry with a fresh early cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st year pod student here. Gonna throw out some advice I haven't seen yet. Pod school isn't like MD/DO when it comes to reapplying. There isn't a negative stigma for re-applicants. One of my good friends was a re-applicant because she applied really late and she's doing great right now. If you shadow asap and think you'll genuinely like podiatry then it doesn't hurt to apply this cycle. But like others said your best shot for success is to apply early at the beginning of next cycle

i applied early to md/do schools. i realize my original post came off as like oh crap i need a back up which wasn't my intention at all. at that moment i impulsively posted because i was randomly panicking, but like another person said earlier, i should focus on the here and now. which is what im gonna try and do. and thats good to know about podiatry school in terms of reapplying. but honestly ive never really looked into smp programs and i havent shadowed a podiatrist so im gonna keep my options and do some major research on both.

please, clarify for me - did you apply to podiatry schools and got rejected, or you applied for allopathic/osteopathic medical schools and got rejected?

1st year pod student here. Gonna throw out some advice I haven't seen yet. Pod school isn't like MD/DO when it comes to reapplying. There isn't a negative stigma for re-applicants. One of my good friends was a re-applicant because she applied really late and she's doing great right now. If you shadow asap and think you'll genuinely like podiatry then it doesn't hurt to apply this cycle. But like others said your best shot for success is to apply early at the beginning of next cycle

i applied early to md/do schools. i realize my original post came off as like oh crap i need a back up which wasn't my intention at all. at that moment i impulsively posted because i was randomly panicking, but like another person said earlier, i should focus on the here and now. which is what im gonna try and do. and thats good to know about podiatry school in terms of reapplying. but honestly ive never really looked into smp programs and i havent shadowed a podiatrist so im gonna keep my options and do some major research on both.
Gap years arent bad. I was all for dental school and had to be honest with myself. I decided to take a gap year and really reevaluate myself. Taking a gap year has been the best decision I ever made. No need to rush a decision. Yes a year or 2 may seem like so much time right now. Especially since I have friends that are starting school this fall. However, when youre in your 40s, in the career you truly wanted to pursue, you wont even think twice or really mention it! Just do you!

Reactions: 1 users
Thing you have to remember too is, lots of the pod applicants are doing good numbers on the MCAT. Everyone I interviewed with had a 500 or above

Anybody know what day of the week scholl committee meet on?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What is your GPA/MCAT score?

When did you apply? Could just be that next cycle you need to apply right when the application opens...

How do podiatry schools look at reapplicants ?
GPA calculated by my university was significantly different from the GPA calculated by AACPMAS. I did retake one class. But I think it is mostly due to the prep classes, I took during the first year of college. I took a lot of ESL classes and math prep courses. But I was told by my college counselor that they are not transferable and that they won't count toward my GPA. But seems like they do count. So I am a bit shock. I am in my senior year now and I got all As for fall. And hopefully, I will get As for this semester as well. So I am hoping my GPA will increase by the end of the year. And I need to retake MCAT as well. I did not do so great on the first trial. My application was verified about a week ago, and since then I am receiving rejections after rejections from NYC DMU Kent Temple... So I am already thinking to reapply for fall 2018.. but I am wondering how do they look at reapplicants.. and would I have chance if I increase my mcat score and gpa..

My GPA is around 3.0 with an upward trend.. well I originally thought it is 3.3 but with AACPMAS calculations it is much lower.. and my MCAT is 487.. I know my MCAT score is really low and I know I have to retake it. Right before I take the exam, I heard a bad news but I know I cannot make excuses and I just need to retake it. I am planning to retake it in September though because I graduate in mid-June and I want to have enough time to really study for it. so hopefully October would not be late.
I applied a week ago and my application was verified within 48 hours
I still have not heard anything from Barry western midwestern scholl cspm
You'll be fine if you finish this semester strong and raise your MCAT. October won't be too late! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is around 3.0 with an upward trend.. well I originally thought it is 3.3 but with AACPMAS calculations it is much lower.. and my MCAT is 487.. I know my MCAT score is really low and I know I have to retake it. Right before I take the exam, I heard a bad news but I know I cannot make excuses and I just need to retake it. I am planning to retake it in September though because I graduate in mid-June and I want to have enough time to really study for it. so hopefully October would not be late.

So GPA is probably fine, I think the only problem is the MCAT. If you retake, get a 495+, continue with your upward trend and apply earlier, I think you shouldn't have a problem provided your EC's are decent enough.

Don't give up hope though Barry may give you an interview, and you still haven't heard back from the other schools. You may squeeze by. You only need one acceptance.

How was your studying the first time you took the MCAT?

Last edited:
well honestly I postponed my MCAT date a couple times.. I was not ready.. I could not focus on both school and MCAT. English is not my first language just around 5 years ago I could not even speak it.. so I need to study for MCAT more than any of you guys imagining you are native speaker.. and I have never taken psychology so I did the worst in that section..Do you have any tips for studying for MCAT? I am thinking to go to kaplan or princton classes, does anybody know if they are helpful ?

You should do a search and read all you can regarding the mcat in the mcat forum.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/mcat-discussions.31/

You can find tips/schedules/helpful resources/advice, etc...all there. I personally do not think live prep helps, but it might in your case, although they are pretty expensive. I have yet to take mine, but I would recommend buying all the materials from the AAMC, choose 1-2 source (like tpr, tbr or kaplan), and do as many questions as you can, including Full lengths. All the best!

Academic probation had to be disclosed, right? I know dismissal has to be reported but probation and dismissal are not the same.

Could someone please clarify this one for me?

Academic probation had to be disclosed, right? I know dismissal has to be reported but probation and dismissal are not the same.

Could someone please clarify this one for me?

From AACPMAS, under "other info", I know you have to report a dismissal like you said, but a probation probably not.

Academic Infraction:
Indicate if you have ever been disciplined for unacceptable academic performance. If so, provide an explanation.

Misdemeanor:
Indicate if you have ever been convicted in any state or country of a misdemeanor, other than a minor traffic offense, and if so, provide an explanation. If you are convicted of a misdemeanor or felony prior to matriculation, it is your responsibility to IMMEDIATELY inform your designated schools.

Felony:
Indicate if you have ever been convicted of a felony, and if so, provide an explanation.

So one could get away with not saying a word about academic probation?

I believe semester by semester the xcript tells you if there was ever probation for any of the semesters, I think.

Thanks, Dex.

So one could get away with not saying a word about academic probation?

I believe semester by semester the xcript tells you if there was ever probation for any of the semesters, I think.

Thanks, Dex.

lol, np

I just want to add that if the probation is something that comes back to haunt you later in your career or while in school...then it's better to explain it now and get it over with.

lol, np

I just want to add that if the probation is something that comes back to haunt you later in your career or while in school...then it's better to explain it now and get it over with.

How will it come back to haunt? I figured residency will be based on pod school grades and matching will be based on boards, etc? After getting an acceptance, undergrad stuff becomes irrelevant, no?

I think I'll just add it or in my interview I'll let them know.

lol, np

So academic probations and suspensions DO need to be stated on the application itself right? There's a section asking for explanation of any academic probation/suspension due to grades.
My transcript doesn't state which semester I got a probation for, but I know it is on my student record.

So academic probations and suspensions DO need to be stated on the application itself right? There's a section asking for explanation of any academic probation/suspension due to grades.
My transcript doesn't state which semester I got a probation for, but I know it is on my student record.

If it's on any record, i.e. transcripts, grade cards, academic records, etc, that the AdComs can see, I would address it in your application and be ready to explain it if it comes up during interviews.

During an interview, if the Adcoms ask you about them, then give them an explanation, otherwise, Do Not Talk About it on your own during an interview. If they didn't ask you, most likely they don't care about it. Never lie.

Back in undergrad, I was probation for a term due to low GPA (below 2.o), and when I visited the Pod schools for their seminars, I had asked them about it and I was advised to do what I just stated.

All the best!

Any of you guys email your interviewers and thank them afterwards?

Any of you guys email your interviewers and thank them afterwards?

I emailed thank you notes to the ones who gave me their business cards. I intended to snail mail thank you cards to the ones who didn't, but it honestly slipped my mind between traveling home and school stuff.

What's the motive behind it? What does it do?
Only the manliest of men write thank you notes. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/10/23/the-art-of-thank-you-note-writing/

It just shows that you appreciate the time your interviewers spent in getting to know you. It isn't easy going through a bunch of apps and reading personal statements. You should also come away from an interview having learned something about the school you interviewed at. It is nice to thank the person who took the time to teach you. A little gratitude and humility can get your foot in the door at any school or residency program.

Make sure to write thank you notes to all the attendings you work with during your 4th year.

Reactions: 2 users
How will it come back to haunt? I figured residency will be based on pod school grades and matching will be based on boards, etc? After getting an acceptance, undergrad stuff becomes irrelevant, no?

I think I'll just add it or in my interview I'll let them know.
I think residencies ask for undergrad info as well, but I'm not sure how much and I assume they out more weight in your pod school performance. Them asking about undergrad may just be to get a better overall picture of you, like what you majored in and stuff like that. Not sure.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I emailed thank you notes to the ones who gave me their business cards. I intended to snail mail thank you cards to the ones who didn't, but it honestly slipped my mind between traveling home and school stuff.
wow you had some slip you business cards? did you take that as a sign that you are in?

I think residencies ask for undergrad info as well, but I'm not sure how much and I assume they out more weight in your pod school performance. Them asking about undergrad may just be to get a better overall picture of you, like what you majored in and stuff like that. Not sure.

They don't ask about undergrad. I didn't get one question about my undergrad courses during interviews. If you put some undergrad extra curricular activities on your app then maybe they will bring it up but other than that you don't have to worry about it. I know a handful of people that didn't have very good undergrad stats but had great pod school stats.

wow you had some slip you business cards? did you take that as a sign that you are in?
If you ask for their contact info just in case you have further questions they usually give it to you. You should do that during your NY interview.

They don't ask about undergrad. I didn't get one question about my undergrad courses during interviews. If you put some undergrad extra curricular activities on your app then maybe they will bring it up but other than that you don't have to worry about it. I know a handful of people that didn't have very good undergrad stats but had great pod school stats.
I guess what I meant to say is that undergraduate academic information is in your residency applicant file (according to CASPR) so I'm assuming that at some point you're asked to provide that information.

I guess what I meant to say is that undergraduate academic information is in your residency applicant file (according to CASPR) so I'm assuming that at some point you're asked to provide that information.

Nope. They just ask where you went to undergrad. The only GPA residency programs will see is your Pod GPA.

The app looks like this:
upload_2017-3-14_17-59-58.png

Where it says "GPA (reported by college)" is where they put your pod GPA. You'll have access to the app portal before you know it.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha no, I think it was just common protocol at those schools. They offered them to me unprompted, but I didn't particularly feel like the interviews went super well or anything.

Haha no, I think it was just common protocol at those schools. They offered them to me unprompted, but I didn't particularly feel like the interviews went super well or anything.
oh come on champ why you say that?

oh come on champ why you say that?
Sorry, I was just trying to be brutally objective with myself! But going back to your original question, I do recommend writing a brief, polite thank you note as it certainly won't hurt your chances. Best of luck to you on your future interview(s). :D

Hi everyone, I just have a few questions regarding applying this cycle (yes I know, very late unfortunately). I have completed my application and sent my transcripts (which have since had a status of "received".. not sure if I am still waiting for it to be "verified") and my letters of rec. have all be submitted to my prehealth advisor. My advisor is putting together my committee letter but she has yet to finish it (we are using interfolio). I am also waiting for the letter from the DPM that I shadowed who said she would notify me when it is finished.
My question is, is it worth submitting my application now even without the letters? How long does it typically take for it to get verified? Any advice appreciated!

Hi everyone, I just have a few questions regarding applying this cycle (yes I know, very late unfortunately). I have completed my application and sent my transcripts (which have since had a status of "received".. not sure if I am still waiting for it to be "verified") and my letters of rec. have all be submitted to my prehealth advisor. My advisor is putting together my committee letter but she has yet to finish it (we are using interfolio). I am also waiting for the letter from the DPM that I shadowed who said she would notify me when it is finished.
My question is, is it worth submitting my application now even without the letters? How long does it typically take for it to get verified? Any advice appreciated!
Depends on your stats

Go ahead and submit. I submitted without letters and got invites before letters were even sent. That was early in the cycle though.

Depends heavily on stats unless you want to specifically get into Scholl. That one requires letters in before they even review your app.

My stats are cGPA: 3.4, sGPA: 3.4, MCAT: 489, ECs: EMT-B, volunteer for 3 years at ambulance corp., research internship, shadowed DPM for 50 hours, podiatry winter internship program, NCAA DII athlete 4 years with captain senior year.
I'm applying to Scholl (I guess I'll wait for letters to apply here), NYCPM, Kent, Barry, Temple

You don't need to wait. Submit. Best of luck.

Just a general question: is taking the MCAT this summer a bit late considering apps open in August? I'm mainly concerned about applying in time for scholarships. Since my GPA is high (3.9) I think I could get a scholarship and any money is helpful since school is $$

Also, I'm from Canada so I don't have any DPM shadowing but I have other ECs that have led me to apply to pod school :) I would probably need to travel to get shadowing experience but I believe NYCPM does not require a lor from a pod? (impression I got from the website)

Last edited:
Just a general question: is taking the MCAT this summer a bit late considering apps open in August? I'm mainly concerned about applying in time for scholarships. Since my GPA is high (3.9) I think I could get a scholarship and any money is helpful since school is $$

Also, I'm from Canada so I don't have any DPM shadowing but I have other ECs that have led me to apply to pod school :) I would probably need to travel to get shadowing experience but I believe NYCPM does not require a lor from a pod? (impression I got from the website)

No, its not late and yes, you do need a POD letter for NYCPM...even if it's not on their site. All schools recommend that you at least shadow one pod.

Last edited:
Oh okay, thanks for your help I'll email the school to confirm. According to this document it isn't required: http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2016-CIB.pdf
It says within school descriptions which schools require letters from a dpm

Just to help others (I do not recommend doing this though)...I did not shadow a pod before applying and did not (actually still don't) have a letter. I received interviews and acceptances from all and even an acceptance on the spot without any letters in at all. Except Scholl, which I did not apply to since I know they are the only one that actually requires a pod letter before offering interviews.
*Also note that it was NY that accepted me while there, and they were aware that I did not even shadow let alone have any letters in. I contacted them after about whether I should shadow and get a letter and they said they recommend shadowing before committing to school but I can do whatever since I was accepted. So I would say that no they do not require a pod letter

Last edited:
Just to help others (I do not recommend doing this though)...I did not shadow a pod before applying and did not (actually still don't) have a letter. I received interviews and acceptances from all and even an acceptance on the spot without any letters in at all. Except Scholl, which I did not apply to since I know they are the only one that actually requires a pod letter before offering interviews.
*Also note that it was NY that accepted me while there, and they were aware that I did not even shadow let alone have any letters in. I contacted them after about whether I should shadow and get a letter and they said they recommend shadowing before committing to school but I can do whatever since I was accepted. So I would say that no they do not require a pod letter

Did you have any experience with Podiatry before applying? Any experience now after being accepted?

A 504 on the mcat will get you in on the spot in Podiatry, I guess.