aacpmas 2016/2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plant based

TUSPM Class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread now as the anticipation is setting in :clap:

If anyone has any questions about the application service going live tomorrow (I believe), post/discuss in this thread!!

Good luck everyone :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thought I'd start this thread now as the anticipation is setting in :clap:

If anyone has any questions about the application service going live tomorrow (I believe), post/discuss in this thread!!

Good luck everyone :love:
Exciting!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For volunteering experience, do you put that under the extracurricular activity or healthcare? Like I volunteered in a hospital so where would that go?

@Kfarina44 Any healthcare experience, including volunteering, would go in the Health Care Experience section or the Podiatric Experience section. The Extracurricular Experience section is for non-healthcare experience only.

So put that in the Health Care Experience section, and be sure to indicate that it was a volunteer position.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Question:

Filling out transcript section. There is no "Save and Exit" button that's supposed to be on upper right hand corner.

Refreshed, still not there. Closed browser, re-opened, still no "Save and Exit" button.

Switch to different part of the app, says I need to save before exiting.

Am I tripping out here? I have a screenshot to PM if anyone would like to help.

Do you have to have your university send your transcript to each school or do you just fill it out in the application and that's it?

Do you have to have your university send your transcript to each school or do you just fill it out in the application and that's it?
Your university sends the transcripts directly to AACPMAS. They will then compare what you entered manually against your official transcripts for verification. You only need to send that one transcript.

Once you're accepted somewhere, then you might have to send an official copy directly to that school but for now don't worry about that.

Your university sends the transcripts directly to AACPMAS. They will then compare what you entered manually against your official transcripts for verification. You only need to send that one transcript.

Once you're accepted somewhere, then you might have to send an official copy directly to that school but for now don't worry about that.

can you have your college electronically send your transcripts? Also, for repeated courses, I don't mark the course as repeated if taken at another college correct?

can you have your college electronically send your transcripts? Also, for repeated courses, I don't mark the course as repeated if taken at another college correct?
I'm not sure if AACPMAS accepted transcripts electronically. I believe I had one of my schools email a copy and the other school send it through regular mail.

As far as the repeat thing, I'm not sure. There will be situations where simply calling AACPMAS is best. This might be one of them. They're usually not too busy this early in the cycle and you should be able to get a good answer pretty quickly.

For your LORs, do you create the account on Interfolio and have those writing letters submit them on there?

For your LORs, do you create the account on Interfolio and have those writing letters submit them on there?

Yep that's what I did. Very easy to use. You can send them a request through interfolio to their e-mail and then they upload the letter and it's placed in your document management centre. then you just send them off to the schools you want!

Yep that's what I did. Very easy to use. You can send them a request through interfolio to their e-mail and then they upload the letter and it's placed in your document management centre. then you just send them off to the schools you want!
So everything is electronic and they won't need to mail anything in? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the letter writers mail a physical copy to Interfolio. Interfolio then scans it into a digital copy at which point you'll be able to find the letters in your online account. From there you can send it out through a variety of methods to each of the schools.

hmmm for some reason i could only find kent and nycpm on interfolio... where are the other schools :oops:

hmmm for some reason i could only find kent and nycpm on interfolio... where are the other schools :oops:
There were a couple of schools that I couldn't find but other people were able to find them. It might be early enough in the cycle that those schools just aren't currently accepting LORs. I wouldn't be worried about it till the time actually comes to send them out, by which time more schools will probably be available options.

Worst case scenario, I believe Interfolio can still send out LORs by email or regular mail. I think AZpod specifically just doesn't accept LORs electronically since they are optional for applying to their school. I believe I had them snail mail my LORs to AZpod. For any of the schools you can always have your LORs emailed or mailed to the admissions office. Just keep in mind that most of the schools will not accept LORs until they have your application on file.

Just wanted to chime in and wish all the applicants good luck this cycle. Remember, the earlier you get your app in the better. Feel free to ask any questions about the application process and/or DMU!

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to chime in and wish all the applicants good luck this cycle. Remember, the earlier you get your app in the better. Feel free to ask any questions about the application process and/or DMU!

Thank you so much, Cardsfan!

TWO QUESTIONS:

(1) this part:

Academic Infraction
Have you ever been disciplined for academic performance (e.g. academic probation, dismissal, suspension, disqualification, etc.) by any college or school?
------------------------------
I've been on academic probation before. However, I was never dismissed; just on probation and was taken off the following semester. Should I write about it here? I thought the PS would be the place to explain that. It sounds like it's asking if you were on probation and then got dismissed

(sorry for the dumb question; I'm nervous af as I do this)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) In high school, they had a program for the seniors where you could take college level classes for college credit. Does that need to be included in the transcript / courses taken history? The credits were offered under the name of an accredited college

Last edited:
TWO QUESTIONS:

(1) this part:

Academic Infraction
Have you ever been disciplined for academic performance (e.g. academic probation, dismissal, suspension, disqualification, etc.) by any college or school?
------------------------------
I've been on academic probation before. However, I was never dismissed; just on probation and was taken off the following semester. Should I write about it here? I thought the PS would be the place to explain that. It sounds like it's asking if you were on probation and then got dismissed

(sorry for the dumb question; I'm nervous af as I do this)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) In high school, they had a program for the seniors where you could take college level classes for college credit. Does that need to be included in the transcript / courses taken history? The credits were offered under the name of an accredited college

Not a dumb question! I can answer the first and Bob can probably help you with the second--yes, you need to disclose that you were on probation during undergrad. Just be honest and don't write some multi page narrative about how you're now a changed person. Short and to the point and you should be fine. Something like, why you were on probation, what you did to fix it, what you're going to do in pod school to prevent it from happening again. One or two paragraphs max.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like you're talking about dual credit, but I'll cover AP credits as well for anyone reading. If ANYTHING appears on your College transcripts, you must enter it into AACPMAS or you will create a discrepancy during the verification process and your application will be held up.

I took about 30 credits worth of dual credit in high school. Since that's provided through a college you're technically a college student while you take them so you just enter it exactly like you do the rest of your college coursework. Just put it under the correct institutión, with the correct date, with the correct grade, etc. Should be pretty straight-forward.

As far as AP credit, this must be included under the first semester of attendance for the first institutión that gave you credit for that class/test. The only thing different about entering an AP course is that for grade you enter CR for credit.

Should I hold off on applying until I shadow a podiatrist? I've been trying to get in contact with one, but I have had no luck. I tried using the 'contact a mentor' on the aacpm website, but the podiatrist said they were not interested. I'm getting sick of cold calling random offices and getting rejected. Any advice?

Should I hold off on applying until I shadow a podiatrist? I've been trying to get in contact with one, but I have had no luck. I tried using the 'contact a mentor' on the aacpm website, but the podiatrist said they were not interested. I'm getting sick of cold calling random offices and getting rejected. Any advice?

The #1 question your going to get is how do you know you want to spend 4 years in podiatry school, 3 years in a residency, and practice for the rest of your life in a career you've never observed in person. Which is why I think you should hold off since your early in the cycle.

I had this problem, try reaching out to your primary care physician or another physician you have a connection with to refer you. Contact the schools you plan on applying and ask for advice or if they have any active alumni in your area that can help out. Contact family/friends in cities a couple hours away you can stay at for a couple days and get some shadowing done. most of the time private practice is easier to shadow since its less paperwork than hospitals. Expand your search if your looking in a town.

Your still early in the application cycle. If you want to apply early get everything filled out and have your application ready to send off. But you may want to include some form of podiatric experience in your personal statement/resume after you've shadowed.

Reactions: 4 users

Also, sound super super interested and also desperate as you call people in your area, you are much more likely to get the help. Say how you've done a lot of research about podiatry and you really want to apply and how awesome it would be to have them shadow you. Be a little persistent and get in contact with office managers or doctors in any way possible. Say how you've really been struggling to find a podiatrist to shadow in the area.

Solid advice from @bschlak728

Also applying this cycle but didn't get confirmation to shadow until today -_- Been asking since 4 months ago.

Right now just filling out the transcript stuff and getting LORs ready. Personal statement on hold til I get into the office and start shadowing.

Sucks to not have your app in as early as possible but I don't feel at all confident with personal statement until I can incorporate aspects of shadowing into it.

I just put on some business casual attire and went in person to pod offices with a copy of my resume, volunteer experience, a rough breakdown of my GPA and MCAT. You know, to show them I'm serious.

I got stonewalled at the first office I went to. The second office, the doctor walked by while I was in the waiting room, I chatted him up for a second and he agreed to let me shadow.

Before I went in person I had tried cold calling a few places with no luck.

First time I emailed 7 different pods at the med center. Got 1 response back.

Cold called 2 practices in the area. No response from one. The other emailed me and asked for details. Rejected after emails back and forth. Suggested I shadow an ER doc instead.

I was also having a similar problem until NYCPM came to my rescue!

I was emailing a rep from admissions concerning my grades and what I should do. So we exchanged messages and she asked if I had shadowed a pod. Told her no one was willing to welcome me aboard. And she gave me the contact info for a pod that was an alumnus of NYCPM.

So that's another route to try. Email the schools you're considering and see if they can link you with one of their alumni. When you contact the pod, let them know it was the school that put you in contact

@Kfarina44 Any healthcare experience, including volunteering, would go in the Health Care Experience section or the Podiatric Experience section. The Extracurricular Experience section is for non-healthcare experience only.

So put that in the Health Care Experience section, and be sure to indicate that it was a volunteer position.

Thank you! It's nice having people give you advice who know what to do! I appreciate it!

"Freshman Seminar" what would that go under?

It was a course to help freshman get used to the college life and the college system.

--------------

Just started entering in my classes and I think there will be several of these type of questions. To make life easier, I recall a list was once posted that showed how each class was classified by the pod school application standards. I've tried google, but no luck. Can someone provide that list again? For instance it would show you under which categories to put which classes. I need that ASAP because looking over my transcript now, some classes like microbiology fall under my school's biology subject section, but that might not be the case for the pod apps

Last edited:

It was a course to help freshman get used to the college life and the college system.

----------

Just started entering in my classes and I think there will be several of these type of questions. To make life easier, I recall a list was once posted that showed how each class was classified by the pod school application standards. I've tried google, but no luck. Can someone provide that list again? For instance it would show you under which categories to put which classes. I need that ASAP because looking over my transcript now, some classes like microbiology fall under my school's biology subject section, but that might not be the case for the pod apps

Found it.

http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacpmas...s/academic-history-2/aacpmas-course-subjects/

EDIT: Looks like I didn't find it. This tells us how they split the subjects, not what we should actually input. So sorry. Got excited :(

Last edited:

I remember that I emailed the application service with this same question. I have forgotten what they told me since then, but I would either call or send them an email with a detailed description of the course and ask them what criteria it would fall under. You'll receive a response anywhere from 3 days to the next application cycle.

I remember that I emailed the application service with this same question. I have forgotten what they told me since then, but I would either call or send them an email with a detailed description of the course and ask them what criteria it would fall under. You'll receive a response anywhere from 3 days to the next application cycle.
Lol, anywhere from 3 days to the next application cycle.

I would just call. It's pretty early in the cycle still, you'll probably only be on hold for a few minutes and they're usually pretty helpful.

Question:
Though the application cycle opened on the first Wednesday of August last week, schools don't receive applications until the third week of September correct? I thought I read something like that.

Also, I sent my transcript in about 8 or 9 days ago. How long did it take for the AACPMAS to verify yours?

Question:
Though the application cycle opened on the first Wednesday of August last week, schools don't receive applications until the third week of September correct? I thought I read something like that.

Also, I sent my transcript in about 8 or 9 days ago. How long did it take for the AACPMAS to verify yours?

I thought schools start receiving apps as soon as your app is complete and fully submitted? I could be wrong.

AACPMAS just verified my undergrad transcript arrived at their office. This took about 3-4 business days. I sent it electronically through my undergrad's online system.

Not sure how long it will take for them to cross reference it with what's been inputted. Bob mentioned anywhere from 2-3 weeks for full transcript verification.

image.png
found what I was referencing!!

View attachment 207723 found what I was referencing!!

Gotcha. If that's what it says, I'd go with that.

Logistically speaking it makes sense.

They have from the time you fully submit your app (lets say mid-August) to 3rd week of September to verify transcripts and make sure everything is in order before sending your app out to schools. Gives AACPMAS ~ 1 full month to get it done. Soonest they'd get the app to your schools would be around that September time anyways.

Yea, it's all on a rolling basis but I guess not really until they send out the first batch. After that once anybody submits their apps the schools should get them not long after.

That's exactly how it worked last cycle.

Joining to see how this thread goes. I submitted a week ago and sent two transcripts in. I am sending the third in today. None have been received.

3.5 overall and 3.5 sGPA 4.0 orgo (if this matters, but they do a separate calculation so I think it does) taking MCAT on 10/20

Joining to see how this thread goes. I submitted a week ago and sent two transcripts in. I am sending the third in today. None have been received.

3.5 overall and 3.5 sGPA 4.0 orgo (if this matters, but they do a separate calculation so I think it does) taking MCAT on 10/20

Solid GPAs. Very bright and shiny GPAs.

Get a 500+ and you're probably looking at scholarships. For minimum just score within average range of 496-498 and you'll get interviews.

Is your shadowing up to fluff?

How did you send your transcripts? Some universities have very solid processes and know students are sending them to specific application services like AACPMAS or OPTOMCAS or AACOMAS so they streamline as well as get on your ass about all the requirements you need to have along with the transcript.

Others offer to have it sent for free but you don't even know if it'll get there. My undergrad institution was the latter and was very on the dot about everything being sent.

My current institution was very lax so after sending one online, I went directly to the office and talked to admin to get it sent with specific instructions on where and what needs to be included with the transcript.

I have a lot of medical shadowing. Everything from primary care to neurosurgery. My podiatry shadowing is a one day visit

Solid GPAs. Very bright and shiny GPAs.

Get a 500+ and you're probably looking at scholarships. For minimum just score within average range of 496-498 and you'll get interviews.

Is your shadowing up to fluff?

How did you send your transcripts? Some universities have very solid processes and know students are sending them to specific application services like AACPMAS or OPTOMCAS or AACOMAS so they streamline as well as get on your ass about all the requirements you need to have along with the transcript.

Others offer to have it sent for free but you don't even know if it'll get there. My undergrad institution was the latter and was very on the dot about everything being sent.

My current institution was very lax so after sending one online, I went directly to the office and talked to admin to get it sent with specific instructions on where and what needs to be included with the transcript.

How much are scholarships usually. They would really help.

I have a lot of medical shadowing. Everything from primary care to neurosurgery. My podiatry shadowing is a one day visit

You'd benefit from a couple more hours of shadowing a pod specifically. Nothing crazy, maybe 50-100 hrs.

You can shadow while you send in your app and it'll still be enough time.

The scholarship amounts differ per school. Do a quick search in the pod forums about it. I've seen anywhere from 6k to 16k competitively per year.

PM me if you want details on how they rank you numbers wise to qualify for scholarships.

How much are scholarships usually. They would really help.
Western and Midwestern have pretty much none. If you're offered a scholarship it will be for the first year only. How well you do first year will determine year two scolarships. Temple goes up to I think $14,000 max now, they raised it from $12,000. I think CSPM goes over $20,000 max. Most likely if you get one it won't be the max and will be more like $5,000 or something along those lines, but it really just depends on how good your stats are compared to other applicants and how much scholarship money is left, since it's usually first come first serve.

Does anyone know what the scholarships look like for New York Podiatry

Interfolio can be either way mail in or electronic. The letter writer has the ability to just upload it to the website, which I feel is easiest and most efficient. Then with interfolio your letters will live there forever!

Then as for the people having trouble finding the schools in the search you can either keep trying different variations of the schools name, and if you still don't find it you can just get the LOR address from the schools website and type it all in yourself and send them away! The nice thing if you do find the school on their website is sometimes schools can receive the letters electronically from interfolio and there is not much wait time and you absolutely know they are getting there!...you won't have to wait on that snail mail! Good luck!

Interfolio can be either way mail in or electronic. The letter writer has the ability to just upload it to the website, which I feel is easiest and most efficient. Then with interfolio your letters will live there forever!

Then as for the people having trouble finding the schools in the search you can either keep trying different variations of the schools name, and if you still don't find it you can just get the LOR address from the schools website and type it all in yourself and send them away! The nice thing if you do find the school on their website is sometimes schools can receive the letters electronically from interfolio and there is not much wait time and you absolutely know they are getting there!...you won't have to wait on that snail mail! Good luck!

Thank you so much!

About to make an account today and get LORS in. Glad you made this comment. Lots of useful info.

Also just an update on trasncripts: both undergrad and grad have been received by aacpmas.

Time upon receiving was appx 7-10 business days. Week and a half.

I've heard that kinesiology courses (such as biomechanics, anatomy, motor behavior) are included in the aacmpas science gpa because they're "other science." Does anyone know if this is actually true?