AACOMAS messed up my application - Withdraw or keep applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCrohns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This will be/is my second time applying. Last year I received 2 IIs and 2 WLs at DO programs. I had a 3.21 sGPA, 3.28 cGPA, and 500 MCAT. I have very unique, continuous ECs with different types of clinical exposure and volunteering with the underserved. I also have a compelling "why medicine?" story that is very personal. With that being said, here's my situation:

This year, after submitting my applications early and being verified, my sGPA dropped to 2.93 without explanation. After working with AACOMAS (still in dispute and this is day 9), they admitted that they "incorrectly verified" my application last year and I should never have had a 3.21 sGPA; this was not changed until I applied for the 17-18 cycle. Then once it dropped to the 2.93 I submitted a course subject dispute and got 3 science credits back, bringing me to a 2.98, where I am now. I have found classmates from courses we were in that they still have as science credits where mine were taken away. I'm waiting to hear back from AACOMAS at this point. I've also now been denied secondaries from multiple schools that I received them from last year.

In the meantime, I have applied to Washington University's Post-bacc Pre-med program and would gladly enroll in that if I am accepted. I had been studying for an MCAT retake on August 11th and planned on having my apps finalized by the end of this month. The advisor has told me I should withdraw my apps and take the MCAT next April/March after taking post-bacc courses.

How should I proceed with this? I'm hesitant to withdraw my verified applications and place the blame on AACOMAS but I also feel that it's my best option at this point. Has anyone had a similar experience or been in a similar situation? Would I be considered a 3rd time reapplicant if I did withdraw? I haven't submitted any secondaries and obviously didn't see the GPA drop until the application was verified. What are my other options here? Applying to more post-bacc programs? Keep my AACOMAS apps open and take that August MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I know the AACOMAS policy on grade replacement changed this year. Is that one of the reasons your GPA fell so much? If so, you may want to reach out to some schools to find out their individual policies on grade replacement this year (some schools are keeping it for now). I'm totally not familiar with the "reapplicant" designation for AACOMAS, so you may want to address that in your emails as well. Finally, what has changed from last year to this year? If you're applying with the same stats and story, you may need to withdraw your app this year and take time to improve your stats.

If your GPA is truly a 2.98 (I would get dirty in Excel and make sure you know exactly what it should be), then a post-bacc program would be good for you. It would help you bring up your GPA and somewhat help you prep for the MCAT with concepts and improving your study methods. Although it's pretty late in the year, you could try to find other programs that have linkage.

As for your current MCAT test date, that will depend on what the schools tell you and if you get into the post-bacc. If you get accepted then I'd withdraw from that test date and register to take it in the late spring/early summer 2018.

Good luck, and feel free to reach out.