AACOMAS Grade Replacement and potential for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmmanuelH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.3 AACOMAS GPA however I have undergone ALOT of grade replacement . Therefore I was naturally wondering is there a limit as to how many grade replacements you have before med schools stop considering you as a candidate? I recently did a MCAT practice test with Kaplan and ended up getting a 33 11V 11B 11P.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.3 AACOMAS GPA however I have undergone ALOT of grade replacement . Therefore I was naturally wondering is there a limit as to how many grade replacements you have before med schools stop considering you as a candidate? I recently did a MCAT practice test with Kaplan and ended up getting a 33 11V 11B 11P.

Good job with your practice MCAT. If you keep up that score, you should get some interviews (if you apply early and your ECs are good, that is!).

There isn't a limit to retakes per se... obviously the retake policy is there for a reason, but generally people say 3-4 retakes is about average.

However, MANY people have retaken a lot more classes than that. I think someone on here has retaken like 30 classes or so. Many of these people have had no trouble snagging plenty of interviews.

So in short... don't worry about how many retakes you have, as long as you do well in them the second time around. :)

Well to be completely honest one of the retakes is a third time around ,it is Gen. ChemII. The first time I took it I severely sick , the second time(I go a D) I over loaded myself with coursework trying to make up for the previous semester. The third time I got an A.I have a total of 8 retakes .

Members don't see this ad :)
I've probably got as many retakes as you with a worse MCAT. My science GPA was 3.34 when I applied, and got it up to 3.43 after the fall semester. I have really good EC's and an interesting story. I got 4 interviews and 2 acceptances. Make sure you are calculating all your grades correctly, figure out your science GPA, and rock the MCAT, and get some really good EC's. Keep working hard and it will all pay off.

Well to be completely honest one of the retakes is a third time around ,it is Gen. ChemII. The first time I took it I severely sick , the second time(I go a D) I over loaded myself with coursework trying to make up for the previous semester. The third time I got an A.I have a total of 8 retakes .

Eh... you'll be fine. At least you end up with an A due to grade replacement. Just keep going!

Thanks guys this makes me feel a whole lot better. Now all I need is to push through until the end. My last concern of course will be getting into the same school as my other half. WE have been together for 4 years going on to 5 and it is a priority to get into the same school . Therefore we decided , once we are ready to apply to all of the D.O. schools and see which one will take us both .

If you pull a 25+ on the mcat, and apply to a lot of schools, you'll be in good shape

Well like I mentioned earlier I got a 33 on the practice Kaplan test and he got a 29 . So now all we are waiting for is to finish our undergrad degree and then we'll apply.Alternatively we will do a S.M.P with linkage that we know we will both get in after the S.M.P . Call me a soft heart but I guess after you work so hard at something with someone by your side it is difficult to just let that person go , let along envision a future without them .

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, where can I try recalculating stuff using my replaced grades (aside from when I am actually applying using AACOMAS)? Any GPA calculator websites?

P.S. I know this thread hasn't been active for a while so I appreciate anybody helping out 4 years later :p

I had 11 F's. I replaced all but one of them. Went from a 1.4 to a 3.9. So I would say no limit

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Dr.Bob,
Nice to read a different and inspiring post. I am currently in college debating whether to go back into the medical field or not. I failed out of my first college, I got about 3 F's and now I'm at a community college taking a business major. My GPA has gone up but I still can't shake the thought that what I really want to do is go into the medical field. My question is, what did you do to recover all of those grades? Did you take any extra program or was it just pure dedication and grit from then on? Do you think there is still hope for me? I would love any feedback from you as I am almost sure I am just going to 180 my studies and continue my dream, no matter what. Thank you!!