A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anybody speak as to what kcom's most recent board score average was and what the national average was?

Can anybody speak as to what kcom's most recent board score average was and what the national average was?
Not sure what the national average is. I can tell you the last few years' first time pass rates are though for level 1. After a couple rough years, they made some big curriculum changes. They also require that you pass a couple COMSAE's with a certain score before you can take the COMLEX to ensure (for your benefit) that you're adequately prepared.

Class of:
2010 94%
2011 88%
2012 77%
2013 91%
2014 96%
2015 93%
2016 93%
2017 94%
2018 94%

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what the national average is. I can tell you the last few years' first time pass rates are though for level 1. After a couple rough years, they made some big curriculum changes. They also require that you pass a couple COMSAE's with a certain score before you can take the COMLEX to ensure (for your benefit) that you're adequately prepared.

Class of:
2010 94%
2011 88%
2012 77%
2013 91%
2014 96%
2015 93%
2016 93%
2017 94%
2018 94%

Do you have a rough idea of what % of students take Step1?

Last edited:
Just put on hold today. I was complete on 9/13. :/

Does anyone know if this school still has rotation sites in Colorado?

Withdrew my acceptance here. Good luck to all of you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you know if an EM rotations is one of the required rotations? Also if its not then is it hard to set up an em rotation?

There is a required 4 week rotation fourth year of EM but there are 8 weeks of elective time built into third year I am sure you could use for EM. After looking at the match list there are always a few people who match into EM so I am sure there are resources for rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if an EM rotations is one of the required rotations? Also if its not then is it hard to set up an em rotation?
As medstar noted, you can easily do an elective in 3rd year. You'll likely need to do an away rotation or two and many people do those in the summer at the end of 3rd year/start of 4th yr. personally I'm not interested in EM, so I've saved my EM rotation for very last.

will be cancelling my 12/12 interview here due to some health issues... If you are looking to move your interview date, let me know and I will contact you right before I cancel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing my acceptance Thursday may the odds be ever in your favor

Reactions: 2 users
Do you have a rough idea of what % of students take Step1?

Doesn't look like this was answered. I'm not sure there are any official statistics released by KCOM, but I would guess around 50% of my class took Step 1. Even less took Step 2, maybe 30% or so.

For those that have interviewed here, did you bring anything with you like a notepad or portfolio? Also, how did you go about sending thank you notes?

For those that have interviewed here, did you bring anything with you like a notepad or portfolio? Also, how did you go about sending thank you notes?
They gave a notepad and pen.

Responding to this question reminded me that between working the next day and interviewing elsewhere the day after, I completely forgot about sending thank you notes. Hopefully that isn't a deal breaker.

They gave a notepad and pen.

Responding to this question reminded me that between working the next day and interviewing elsewhere the day after, I completely forgot about sending thank you notes. Hopefully that isn't a deal breaker.
Not a deal breaker.

I've never taken anything to an interview other than my person, my wallet, and MAYBE a pen.

Has anyone heard anything recently about acceptances?

Not on my end. Interviewed on 11/7, thought it went very well but haven't heard anything. A little worried considering the usual response time for acceptances is 2-3 weeks. Emailed last week and was told that they are running a little behind on reviewing apps/interviews b/c of Thanksgiving.

Not on my end. Interviewed on 11/7, thought it went very well but haven't heard anything. A little worried considering the usual response time for acceptances is 2-3 weeks. Emailed last week and was told that they are running a little behind on reviewing apps/interviews b/c of Thanksgiving.

I wouldn't worry too much. I interviewed last Friday and they said it might be a while because they were just getting ready to receive deposits and with Christmas break things would be delayed.

Completed back in august haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone complete after me and heard back?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I submitted my secondary on 10/3, received my interview invite on 10/10, interviewed 11/21, and just received an email saying a decision won't be made until 1/20.

I submitted my secondary on 10/3, received my interview invite on 10/10, interviewed 11/21, and just received an email saying a decision won't be made until 1/20.
1/20? I just interviewed today. I can't imagine how long I'm going to have to wait!

1/20? I just interviewed today. I can't imagine how long I'm going to have to wait!

The reason they are doing this my guess would be because people have to put their deposits down soon or they lose their spots so they want to make sure if there are more spots open they fill them with good applicants. I wish you all luck

Any current students able to speak on how rotation selection goes? Likely to get first or second priority? Obviously depends on class and year, but just curious...

Any current students able to speak on how rotation selection goes? Likely to get first or second priority? Obviously depends on class and year, but just curious...

We have like a match type system from my understanding. You have the opportunity to write a personal statement essentially and send it to your top choice and they can preselect you that way or you enter the match and I have heard the majority get their top match or at least one of the top two. It really depends on where you want to go and how many spots are available at that rotation site. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me but that has been my understanding thus far.

Any current students know which affiliated residencies are going to survive the merger?

We have like a match type system from my understanding. You have the opportunity to write a personal statement essentially and send it to your top choice and they can preselect you that way or you enter the match and I have heard the majority get their top match or at least one of the top two. It really depends on where you want to go and how many spots are available at that rotation site. If I am wrong please feel free to correct me but that has been my understanding thus far.

This is basically true. I think my year about 95% got one of their top 3 choices and 70% got their top pick.

Any current students know which affiliated residencies are going to survive the merger?

Hard to say. I think most places will be just fine, but there are a few sites that are going to struggle. The sites that will close will be obvious. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Northeast regional medical center had to close some of their programs.

Where you want to go plays a large role in affecting your likelihood of getting first or second choice. Also, the places you put as backups also play a big role. In my class, both St Louis sites and the Phoenix site all had more people wanting them than there were spots available. If I had put my rank list as
1, st Louis (a)
2, st Louis (B)
3, Phoenix

Then, if I didn't get St Louis (a), or my first choice, I would inevitably NOT match into my 2nd and 3rd choices. Instead I'd get bumped down to my 4th choice at the highest.
This is basically true. I think my year about 95% got one of their top 3 choices and 70% got their top pick.

Hard to say. I think most places will be just fine, but there are a few sites that are going to struggle. The sites that will close will be obvious. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Northeast regional medical center had to close some of their programs.
As it stands, Des Peres is closing everything (though there are talks of trying to make something work).

Des peres and nermc are the ones that I noticed getting obliterated.

Speaking of the rotation selections, I'm not from the southwest/west coast but would ideally like to do 3rd year in Phoenix. Will not having any connection to the region affect my placement?

Des peres and nermc are the ones that I noticed getting obliterated.

Speaking of the rotation selections, I'm not from the southwest/west coast but would ideally like to do 3rd year in Phoenix. Will not having any connection to the region affect my placement?

Not one bit.

I was given alternate status this morning :(

Interviewed 12/2

Could someone explain what the merger is? Thanks in advance
It has been discussed ad nauseum on these forums. A quick search on SDN or Google will provide you all the details (and reckless speculation) you could possibly ask for.

Could any current students post what they do in their free time in Kirksville (I know there is barely free time) like whether students go out and do stuff together or what.

Could any current students post what they do in their free time in Kirksville (I know there is barely free time) like whether students go out and do stuff together or what.

Thousand hills state park is really pretty and has several trails for outdoor activities. They have rentals for boats and other equipment in the warmer months! Other than that there are some bars downtown students like to go to as well as a bowling alley and a movie theater. Overall my friends and I usually do dinner and a movie to just wind down after the week is over. There are few restaurants in town that I recommend but Maxwells is really awesome. They also have a ton of board games and pretty good happy hour specials. Overall there isn't like a huge amount of things to do but as for the amount of free time you have the stuff here is sufficient. If you do get a long weekend or something to that effect, Columbia is 1.5 hours away and Kansas City and St. Louis are about 3 hours. If you are feeling like super big city Chicago is about 6 hours away.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Also if anyone is driving from KC, here's a tip: the GPS will likely direct you to MO-11 from US-36 East, but I highly suggest staying on US-36 East until you reach Macon, MO and then going north on US-63. It is the same time (even though the mileage is slightly longer) but you avoid one-lane roads and I think it's much more efficient.

The roads are much better than they were ten years ago. But yes, I would also advise this. Watch your speed around Macon.

Just got an acceptance call. Interviewed on 11/7. Don't give up hope if you haven't received a call after the 2-3 wk window. Took 5 wks for me.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an acceptance call. Interviewed on 11/7. Don't give up hope if you haven't received a call after the 2-3 wk window. Took 5 wks for me.
keep in mind you had Thanksgiving during that window as well.

I've seen a lot of posts regarding being on the waitlist... I interviewed in early January and was put on the waitlist. Didn't get the acceptance call until early May! Don't worry so much about time.

Another question was asked about stuff to do in Kirksville. Like medstar11 (aka my BFF) said, there's a great state park. We've got a bunch of bars (karaoke, dancing, all that), restaurants, and little shops. Our downtown area is really cool. There are always a bunch of events going on, whether they be organized by the school or local businesses or people just wanting to plan something fun. We've got a movie theater, bowling alley, skating rink, and more and more shopping places have plans to open in the next year or so. Also, we have a taco truck right next to school during the warmer months. That should get you excited enough on its own! My favorite thing to do though is have a "family dinner" once a week with my friends. We're all kind of homebodies, so it's the perfect thing to unwind.

I rode my bike a lot. To and from school. To and from thousand hills state park. Then long rides on weekends. It's the only thing I really miss about Kirksville.

Also intramurals are great. I stuck with racquetball and volleyball, but there is also basketball, soccer, flag football, and maybe one more thing? The climbing wall has been improved a lot as well.

I've seen a lot of posts regarding being on the waitlist... I interviewed in early January and was put on the waitlist. Didn't get the acceptance call until early May! Don't worry so much about time.

Another question was asked about stuff to do in Kirksville. Like medstar11 (aka my BFF) said, there's a great state park. We've got a bunch of bars (karaoke, dancing, all that), restaurants, and little shops. Our downtown area is really cool. There are always a bunch of events going on, whether they be organized by the school or local businesses or people just wanting to plan something fun. We've got a movie theater, bowling alley, skating rink, and more and more shopping places have plans to open in the next year or so. Also, we have a taco truck right next to school during the warmer months. That should get you excited enough on its own! My favorite thing to do though is have a "family dinner" once a week with my friends. We're all kind of homebodies, so it's the perfect thing to unwind.

The alternate status list?

Alternate list, interviewed the 21st. Pretty fast turnaround. Kinda bummed considering I interviewed while suffering from friggin salmonella (seriously). Asked to skip the tour and just do the interviews so I could go to an urgent care and get some meds. Everyone was really nice and accommodating but I guess it affected my interviews enough. Plus asking for accommodations always makes you look bad, no matter how legitimate.
Didn't really understand the point of 3 separate interviews when all of them asked a lot of the same questions.