A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got off the pending acceptance list!
Interviewed 3/31
Acceptance pending call 4/11
Full Acceptance 4/27

Congrats! Glad to hear the list is moving :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
PSA for everyone here, if you are "accepted pending an open seat" and you are not ultimately offered a seat in this year's class, your acceptance does NOT automatically roll over into next year's class, you will have to reapply if you still wish to try again for the next cycle. I don't know if this correction was posted anywhere in this thread, and please disregard this message if the correction was indeed posted, I just saw that rollover thing mentioned in several comments and I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware that while they used to do that, they do not do so anymore.

Would it be beneficial for me to write a letter of intent if I interviewed here recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be beneficial for me to write a letter of intent if I interviewed here recently?
I wrote mine after I was accepted pending an open seat. Idk if I helped my application or not but I was eventually offered a full acceptance.

I wrote mine after I was accepted pending an open seat. Idk if I helped my application or not but I was eventually offered a full acceptance.
I agree with Shope as well. I wrote a letter of intent.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to everyone waiting for an open seat!

Reactions: 3 users
if I was waitlisted way back in September, do I basically have no shot compared to the pending open seat people? it kinda seems like a higher version of waitlisted

if I was waitlisted way back in September, do I basically have no shot compared to the pending open seat people? it kinda seems like a higher version of waitlisted
IMO the pending open seat people have the first shot at the vacant seats. Once that list runs out, people on the alternate waitlist are picked. A few years ago when this school was still new, there was quite a bit of waitlist movement, but now that movement has considerably slowed down.

I had an admissions councilor confirm today that they generally exhaust the accepted-pending list and that he expected the same this year. I'd relax a a smidgen for those accepted-pending. They seem pretty confident in finding seats. Hopefully they delve into the waitlist a bit too!

Yes, accepted pending an open seat is indeed a higher version of waitlisted. As seats open up, they go down the accepted pending list first before they get to the waitlist. I believe the other difference is that the accepted pending applicants have already been given the thumbs up from the admissions committee so that seats are just automatically offered to them as they open, while with the wait listed students the AdCom has to revote on them individually as they decide whom to offer seats to. This seems a bit different from other schools as I was always under the impression that being on the waiting list meant that the AdCom had approved you, they just didn't have an open seat for you yet, while A.T. Still seems to have stratified it a bit more.

Congrats on becoming accepted! I interviewed on 3/31 and was put on the accepted pending an open seat list on 4/11. I was wondering what your stats are like because I called yesterday but she wouldn't really tell me how high up on the list I was only that it looked like I should be able to get a seat.

My undergrad GPA was 3.6 and my MCAT was 504

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Would any current students be willing to talk more about the pros/cons of AT Still and why they chose to attend this school vs. others?

Thank you!

Congrats on becoming accepted! I interviewed on 3/31 and was put on the accepted pending an open seat list on 4/11. I was wondering what your stats are like because I called yesterday but she wouldn't really tell me how high up on the list I was only that it looked like I should be able to get a seat.

My undergrad GPA was 3.6 and my MCAT was 504

Thanks!
I don't believe your rank is wholly MCAT/GPA; it also involves your interview score, application as a whole and letters of recommendation. I interviewed on March 3rd and was eventually taken off the accepted pending list about a month after finding out I was accepted. Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

I don't believe your rank is wholly MCAT/GPA; it also involves your interview score, application as a whole and letters of recommendation. I interviewed on March 3rd and was eventually taken off the accepted pending list about a month after finding out I was accepted. Hope this helps and best of luck to you.
This definitely does help, thank you for the advice!

Supposedly the admissions committee is meeting today, good luck everyone!

Does the accepted pending rank change weekly?

Sorry, I don't know anything about that. All I know is what the admissions rep told us at the final interview for the year (April 28th) which was that the AdCom would be meeting on may 9th

Sorry, I don't know anything about that. All I know is what the admissions rep told us at the final interview for the year (April 28th) which was that the AdCom would be meeting on may 9th

Oh I see, good luck to all who interviewed on the 28th then!

I got off the accepted pending list this afternoon!

Interviewed 3/31
Full Acceptance 5/9

Good luck everyone, the list is definitely moving!

Reactions: 1 users
I got off the accepted pending list this afternoon!

Interviewed 3/31
Full Acceptance 5/9

Good luck everyone, the list is definitely moving!

Congrats! Were you by chance Group Violet?

Last edited:
I called today and was told they are about halfway through the accepted pending list!

Good luck everybody :)

Ditto! I got "The list has shortened significantly". They're expecting a lot of drops near the end of next week as another deadline passes.

I think they meet every two weeks or so, if I remember correctly.
oops, meant to reply to the statement about when the list gets updated....i think the admissions committee meets every two weeks to go over the list

oops, meant to reply to the statement about when the list gets updated....i think the admissions committee meets every two weeks to go over the list
From my understanding the list is finalized and they are simply going down it (I was told my percentile via call). i'd call and ask if you're curious!

Anybody have any idea how big the Accepted-Pending list is now? I was told I'm "very high" on it, but I can't get anything else out of anybody. I'm starting to stress out about plane tickets and apartments!

Anybody have any idea how big the Accepted-Pending list is now? I was told I'm "very high" on it, but I can't get anything else out of anybody. I'm starting to stress out about plane tickets and apartments!

Haven't heard anything :/ they only told me what % on the accepted pending list and wouldn't give any other information. Starting to stress out about getting into school at all.. dead silent here

Haven't heard anything :/ they only told me what % on the accepted pending list and wouldn't give any other information. Starting to stress out about getting into school at all.. dead silent here
My entire life right now is just waiting anxiously by my phone, checking my email, and stalking the mail man.

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED TODAY! I can't believe it.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! Applying this upcoming cycle. Did anyone get an interview invite to SOMA with below a 500 MCAT score? Thanks!

Last edited:
I had a sub 3.2 GPA but 520 MCAT. SOMA seems to place a lot of weight on essays and personal characteristics - and then the interview once you get one. Definitely give it a shot!

I had a sub 3.2 GPA but 520 MCAT. SOMA seems to place a lot of weight on essays and personal characteristics - and then the interview once you get one. Definitely give it a shot!

I heard from admissions that they will not interview someone who scored a sub 500 on the MCAT. My GPA would have been a 3.685c/3.714s (with grade replacement..only 4 were replaced out of 75 classes). Without grade replacement I'm basically at a 3.51c/3.48s. So I am kinda freaking out just a bit. I have some really GREAT extra-curriculars that pertain to their mission statement..including working at one of their CHCs. Thoughts? :)

I heard from admissions that they will not interview someone who scored a sub 500 on the MCAT. My GPA would have been a 3.685c/3.714s (with grade replacement..only 4 were replaced out of 75 classes). Without grade replacement I'm basically at a 3.51c/3.48s. So I am kinda freaking out just a bit. I have some really GREAT extra-curriculars that pertain to their mission statement..including working at one of their CHCs. Thoughts? :)

I got interviewed & accepted with a sub 500 (GPA 3.9, sGPA 3.88).

I too also got in with a 500 on my MCAT, but I have thousands of hours of scribing and a 3.81c/3.9s GPA. I think you should be fine!

I got interviewed & accepted with a sub 500 (GPA 3.9, sGPA 3.88).
I too also got in with a 500 on my MCAT, but I have thousands of hours of scribing and a 3.81c/3.9s GPA. I think you should be fine!

Congrats on your acceptance! It's unfortunate that AACOMAS didn't give much of a notice on the new grade replacement policy. I hope I still have a chance! :)

Got my acceptance today!

Hey all can anybody say whether or not there is a CHC site in Brooklyn for the clinical years 2-4? I'm having a tough time finding out from the website as there are some discrepancies where it's listed in some pages and not in others - thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Hey all can anybody say whether or not there is a CHC site in Brooklyn for the clinical years 2-4? I'm having a tough time finding out from the website as there are some discrepancies where it's listed in some pages and not in others - thanks for any help anyone can offer!

It was a site but Brooklyn is no longer a CHC for ATSU-SOMA for the incoming class.

It was a site but Brooklyn is no longer a CHC for ATSU-SOMA for the incoming class.
Ah that's a bummer as I just submitted the application today. Can you say for certain that it's no longer a site?

Anyone knows when is the 2017-2018 thread for this school being made?