A rejected Application Reviewed a Second time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxminusOU950

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, so I do apologize in advance if a similar thread has been posted. I applied to ICO, WU, SCCO, SCO, and UCB this cycle but got rejected to all schools. I did have a handful of pre-requisites (physics, ochem biochem) still in progress, I expect to have them finished by fall '16.

I'm posting because I received an email from ICO saying that they have reviewed my application again for a second time after and wanted me to fill out their secondary application form for $50.

...after being rejected a few months ago I have already planned out my year to be ready for the upcoming cycle...I'm wondering if I should take the chance and go or stay, finish my classes, and save money. Has anyone experienced this before having their application looked over twice? What was your experience like?

I have been to opto-camp 2015, volunteered at UCLA Jules stein eye institute, have been a licensed optician for 5 year and JUST got a new job for one of theee best ophthalmologists in my city. My GPA is solid 3.45 but my OAT was a low 280...but I blame it on my hopes to apply for this cycle even will all my classes in progress. I'm not even sure I want to invest $50 more on a school that might not accept me.

Thanks for all that reply.

Members don't see this ad.

If they're asking you to send in the supplemental application this late in the cycle they will likely offer you an interview as soon as you complete it (since they've already reviewed your file and the supplemental application doesn't really give them more info). Judging from what you said, it looks like the only thing holding you back is your low OAT scores. As such, if you do well in the interview and show your passion for optometry, they will probably overlook your scores and you'll have a good chance of being admitted into the upcoming class.

did you get interviews to any of those schools? even with your low OAT score, I'm surprised you didn't get into a single one. do you feel you applied to late in the cycle?

also, I think you should definitely go for the supplemental; i've heard amazing things about ICO

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get interviews to any of those schools? even with your low OAT score, I'm surprised you didn't get into a single one. do you feel you applied to late in the cycle?

also, I think you should definitely go for the supplemental; i've heard amazing things about ICO

Nope, not one. I want to say it was my low OAT. I applied before thanksgiving just to make UCBs deadline. :confused:

I would say to submit the supplemental if ICO is one of your first choices, but maybe wait if it's more along the lines of "they're the only ones that are considering me." Besides your OAT score, you've definitely got a strong application, enough so that ICO seems willing to overlook your OAT. I'm confident with an OAT retake you'll be a strong applicant in the upcoming cycle and get more interview offers next year, so if you'd rather attend a different program it may be better to wait.

That being said, as current ICO student, I can definitely vouch for the program here. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Hi did you end up getting accepted at ICO? Or did you end up re-taking your OAT and reapplying?

Hi did you end up getting accepted at ICO? Or did you end up re-taking your OAT and reapplying?
yes! i finished all my prerequisites and retook OATs and got accepted to other schools as well... but ico was always my first choice! I'm going there this fall!

yes! i finished all my prerequisites and retook OATs and got accepted to other schools as well... but ico was always my first choice! I'm going there this fall!

So applied to ICO back in December, and they just recently gave me an interview. I emailed the admissions director there saying that I am going to retake my OAT. She said that I wont have enough time to submit my OAT to the school by the end of April. Im taking re-taking my OATs at the end of April. What do you think this means?

So applied to ICO back in December, and they just recently gave me an interview. I emailed the admissions director there saying that I am going to retake my OAT. She said that I wont have enough time to submit my OAT to the school by the end of April. Im taking re-taking my OATs at the end of April. What do you think this means?

Do you have an interview scheduled despite your OAT scores? Maybe you don't need to re-take it.