A pre-med actually interested in rural FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jullman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured that practicing physicians would be able to help me out with this one. I am 3 semesters away from applying to med school and I was wondering if there are any med school programs that give preferential admission to FM interested students or any programs that will give admission for a written contract to practice family medicine. I have read on the aapa website that these sorts of programs are essential for increasing FM doctors and I wondered if anyone has gotten the ball rolling on this yet. Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Kansas is opening a medical school which is designed to try and get students interested in rural medicine (see below)
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43962220/ns/us_news/

Being the schools intentions as they are, they may be more interested in students who desire rural primary care. Also, I don't know too much on the topic but UNMC in NE has a couple students each year "graduate" at the end of their third year of med school into their FM program.

The University of Illinois has a campus in Rockford that is specific for rural medicine called the RMED program. You sign a contract which says you will go into primary care within Illinois, however, I believe you can skip out on that without penalty if you want to. I don't know if being an Illinois resident is required or not though.

www.medicine.uic.edu/admissions/apply_for_rural_medical_education__rmed_/

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, depending on what state you are from there are many programs where you "sign a contract." Nebraska has a similar program to this RMED the previous poster mentioned, called RHOP in which if you are from a more rural area and wish to return to a rural area they pay a certain amount of your undergrad and you get automatically accepted into the med school after completion of your bachelors (assuming you maintain a certain GPA). Search the web to see what programs your state offers.

LECOM has a 3yr primary care track.
University of Colorado has a rural med track
RVU has a rural/wilderness track
UMN-Duluth is a rural-specific school

That's all I can think of off the top of my head