A&P prereq question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtb93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm #6 on the waitlist for a program, but I'm gearing up to apply during the next cycle anyway. I originally took A&P at the 4-year university which I graduated from, but am considering taking it at a local tech school to boost my grade. The Wisconsin school systems have a "transfer wizard" app which shows course equivalencies between schools. The tech school A&P course fulfills credits for A&P at the university where I originally took it, but comes up as "Anatomy elective" at Wisconsin PT schools which I plan on applying to.

How picky are schools when it comes to situations like this? The tech course has the same name and almost verbatim class description as the university course, so I'm not sure why schools would not accept it. I brought this up to a couple schools, and the PD's said I have to check with the tech school's transfer advisor to see which class would fulfill this requirement.

I know this question seems confusing and it drones on, but I wanted to make sure I get my point across! Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet to be 100% sure is to email the advisors of the schools you want to apply to and include the course name and description. Also make sure there is a lab and it's a 4 credit course. I've seen schools that say classes from community college qualify but not sure about a tech school. Contact PTCAS also since they're the ones that will be putting your GPAs together.

Thanks for the response. It is a 4 credit course with lab. I've contacted multiple schools, and most of them say the course will be fine. I was told it may not look as good as a retake at a 4-year institution, but a raised grade can't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got responses from a few out of state schools, and this is becoming pretty frustrating. Some schools are saying my coursework at the 4-year university would not meet the 2 A&P prerequisites since the classes were not sequenced (A&P I and 2). My school didn't offer this sequence, rather they offered A&P followed by Human Physiology. Has anyone encountered this before?

Hi jtb, I have lived in Wisconsin the past few years and took some prereqs in the state so I know about the transfer wizard but I got my undergrad degree in a different state so not all of my scenario completely applies. I did encounter some of the A&P issues you have seen too but I retook my A&P's at MATC in Milwaukee and those sequences did work for every school I applied too. I had a C from my first stand alone anatomy class so decided to retake both A&P 1 and 2 to have the sequence in case a school did have an issue with not having both. I know when looking at the wizard Madison didn't accept the CC classes so I didnt apply there but Milwaukee and La Crosse did say they would take them. Not sure what all schools you are looking at but hope that helps a little.

Reactions: 1 user
At my four year university in Virginia they only offered one 300/3000 level combined A&P course in the Biology dept. which was 4 credits total. Not the typical two semester (8 credit) sequence of 200/2000 level courses. They did offer a nursing school version of A&P but that doesn't count for most PT schools.

In the end a few schools said they would accept my 4 credits as meeting the whole A&P requirement, and few schools told me to take 4 more credits (the part II sequence of A&P). In the end I decided to take the two sequence course I & II at a community college so that I would be able to apply to more schools.

Some schools put on their website that in order for the A&P combined sequence to count you have to take parts I & II.

Taking it at community college was relatively inexpensive & easy and it allowed me to apply to more schools, so in the end I think it was worth my time & money

Thanks all for the responses.

Hi jtb, I have lived in Wisconsin the past few years and took some prereqs in the state so I know about the transfer wizard but I got my undergrad degree in a different state so not all of my scenario completely applies. I did encounter some of the A&P issues you have seen too but I retook my A&P's at MATC in Milwaukee and those sequences did work for every school I applied too. I had a C from my first stand alone anatomy class so decided to retake both A&P 1 and 2 to have the sequence in case a school did have an issue with not having both. I know when looking at the wizard Madison didn't accept the CC classes so I didnt apply there but Milwaukee and La Crosse did say they would take them. Not sure what all schools you are looking at but hope that helps a little.
The course you took at MATC has the same course number as the one I will take at the tech school. I talked with Wisconsin schools, and they are all OK with this course covering the A&P I prereq.

Thats great they will all take it, better to increase chances at the state schools. Hopefully it works out

Reactions: 1 user