92 Kmart pharmacies are closing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Closing 50 Sears Auto Center locations and 92 pharmacy operations in certain Kmart stores will help the company reach its $1.25 billion cost-cutting goal, which it increased from a previous target of $1 billion."

Sears to close 50 auto centers, 92 Kmart pharmacies to cut costs

Unfortunately my prediction is coming true. Target sold their pharmacies for just pennies which was a clear indication they were struggling. Expect more closure like this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine a lot of Kmart pharmacies did not have sustainable Rx volume and Kmarts have barely any foot traffic anyway. Wherever you have a Kmart next to a Walmart, the Kmart parking lot has only employee cars.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anything related to Sears Holdings is just going to crash and burn, that company is a zombie and just needs to file ch 11 bk and reorganize already.

"After a courageous battle against pharmacies not located inside the retail store equivalents of dumpsters, the stores were closed peacefully, surrounded by family and friends, after blinking twice to indicate they wished to be removed from life support".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I always wondered what type of pharmacists were still working at kmart when it was obvious they would be closing within the next 5-10 years.

This was expected years ago. The Kmarts near my hometown had no chance against Target and Walmart. The store was replaced with a TJ Maxx. Sears has been failing in nearly every sector. It's sad cause my family used to go there to buy appliances and check out cool items.

I remember Kmart being a company I signed up for during interview day at my university. It was me and 5 other students who were interested in jobs with them. They no-showed.

I remember Kmart being a company I signed up for during interview day at my university. It was me and 5 other students who were interested in jobs with them. They no-showed.

How long ago was this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does K-mart even have more than 92 pharmacies still open? All the K-marts in my area have been long closed. The last time I went to one, the store was completely empty except for employees, it was spooky.

another 200 pharmacists or so out of jobs. sigh.... Stater Bros Super Rx Pharmacy has pharmacies that were giving away free antibiotics at one point and metformin... I wonder if they are next... I recall when i was working in a retail chain some idiot called and asked me if my chain was also giving free meds.. somehow i found enough self control not to speak my mind.

I really want Sears to succeed. They used to be such a respected and reputable company. I don't know what happened. Growing up, we used to get our appliances from Sears.

I do have fond memories of Sears, I'm still sad about Mervyns' bankruptcy at the hands of some inept hedge fund group that loaded it up with debt.

But I went recently (got some $5 t-shirts, yee), and that place is just sad. Stale product mix, horrible loyalty program, large retail footprint...they've been unprofitable for the better part of a decade or more? At some point, to save the brand, you've gotta guide that ship into bankruptcy and shed all your legacy costs and emerge leaner.

Retail is a wasteland now, it's the next coal and auto industry. Everything is either upmarket, outlet stores, Amazon, or bust.

Members don't see this ad :)
another 200 pharmacists or so out of jobs. sigh.... Stater Bros Super Rx Pharmacy has pharmacies that were giving away free antibiotics at one point and metformin... I wonder if they are next... I recall when i was working in a retail chain some idiot called and asked me if my chain was also giving free meds.. somehow i found enough self control not to speak my mind.

Most grocery store chains have a different calculus, yeah? Pharmacies drive traffic and can be a loss leader, so long as the patients buy the higher margin products on the shelves.

I bolded something you wrote above because it stood out to me. If a patient calls and asks if you have free meds, and a competitor does have a few free medications being marketed, why does that make him an idiot? It's no different than someone asking if your pharmacy will price match a competitor's $4 formulary (ie Wal-Mart), except, in this case, the competitor's price to match is $0.

I guess if he was being an ass about it, sure...but I'm imagining a frail old grandpa asking if he can get free metformin.

I always wondered what type of pharmacists were still working at kmart when it was obvious they would be closing within the next 5-10 years.

As one of those pharmacists, I took a job as a pharmacist-only position in Kmart knowing the store would close within 5 years to build some work experience (I had little stable work in college) and to not be in BFE (town of 40k). Let me work 4-10s, worked with the DM to do 6 days a week and sock the extra to vacation time and spent 3 months in Europe one year (met my wife).

When they finally closed the store, it was May, so most job opportunities were being taken by students, so I ended up moving 3 states away, but KNOWING that your position is only for a finite amount of time certainly sobers you and gets your life priorities in order.

Reactions: 1 users
Sears drove all of the mom and pops out of business back in the day. So don't feel sad about them getting it back.

CVS, Wags, Walmart and Kroger may be the only big players left standing in 10 years. That's two drugstore chains, a mass merchandiser with grocery, and a grocery chain. Yikes.

CVS, Wags, Walmart and Kroger may be the only big players left standing in 10 years. That's two drugstore chains, a mass merchandiser with grocery, and a grocery chain. Yikes.

Do you think chains like Publix and Bi-Lo (both in the southeast) will close their pharmacies? I've heard rumors locally that both chains eventually will

I don't live in the southeast but what is really the value proposition of these pharmacies these days.

I don't live in the southeast but what is really the value proposition of these pharmacies these days.

No idea... I have just talked to pharmacy managers at these chains who say that their DMs have mentioned that the corporate division has talked about "getting out of the pharmacy business."

No idea... I have just talked to pharmacy managers at these chains who say that their DMs have mentioned that the corporate division has talked about "getting out of the pharmacy business."

You have, without a doubt, spoken to more well connected pharmacists than I have in my years of exposure to the pharmacy profession. It's truly impressive the number of DON's, PIC's, DM's, etc etc that you know and who have told you all the negative things there is to know about pharmacy. I am just curious, do any of your pharmacy connections ever tell you anything good? Really, I am just curious.

Reactions: 4 users
You have, without a doubt, spoken to more well connected pharmacists than I have in my years of exposure to the pharmacy profession. It's truly impressive the number of DON's, PIC's, DM's, etc etc that you know and who have told you all the negative things there is to know about pharmacy. I am just curious, do any of your pharmacy connections ever tell you anything good? Really, I am just curious.

I know an independent pharmacy owner who does talk doom-and-gloom, but he also says it can be a good profession to go into if someone enjoys it. One of the Publix pharmacy managers I know also says they enjoy it, although they said that even "the good chains" like Publix have changed over the years. It's hard to explain, but for decades, the high income earners in medium-sized southeast towns have pursued careers from among a very narrow selection: successful business owner (especially franchise owners -- e.g., McDonald's, BK), physician, pharmacist, a few financial professionals (a few well-known accountants). My family has known many pharmacists for years. Several of them live on my street (including a DOP). I went to preschool with the independent pharmacy owner's kid, who my parents have been customers of for years. The Publix pharmacy manager's kid takes music lessons from the music teacher I used to take lessons from. He put me in touch with the DM for my region. I went to college with a girl I've known since middle school who ended up going to pharmacy school after 2 years of taking pre-pharmacy classes. I met the other pharmacists I know through the ones I've known for a long time.

Keep in mind that during the 1980s and 1990s, pharmacy and medicine were basically the two primary healthcare career options for people who weren't interested in pursuing nursing (dentistry wasn't "hot" yet). For many years, an established career path for people from the southeast to follow was to go to Auburn, Mercer, or UGA and become a pharmacist. It was just one of those default career choices. Now, the majority of people who would've been shoe-in candidates for pharmacy school during the 1980s/1990s/2000s are instead pursuing DO, PA, or nursing school with the goal of becoming an NP/CRNA.

Edited to add: basically, the point is, if you are acquainted with at least a handful of successful people in any medium-sized GA or AL city, at least several of them will be pharmacists. That is the overall point

And you still choose to pursue pharmacy!?!?

Not anymore! You could call me a "late bloomer" (or "Idiot," but I believe that name is already taken). So what do you think of the doom-and-gloom talk regarding the groceries chains getting out of the pharmacy biz? Is it likely to happen?

Not anymore! You could call me a "late bloomer" (or "Idiot," but I believe that name is already taken). So what do you think of the doom-and-gloom talk regarding the groceries chains getting out of the pharmacy biz? Is it likely to happen?
No clue. As the margins get worse and worse I assume it will make less and less sense for anyone to have a pharmacy, grocery stores included.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

No clue. As the margins get worse and worse I assume it will make less and less sense for anyone to have a pharmacy, grocery stores included.

So in addition to the saturation predictions, there's also the issue of whether pharmacy will continue to be viable as a business. With the way things are heading, it wouldn't make sense for someone to NOT at least consider pursuing something else, even if they're as far along as their P2/P3 year (just my opinion)

So in addition to the saturation predictions, there's also the issue of whether pharmacy will continue to be viable as a business. With the way things are heading, it wouldn't make sense for someone to NOT at least consider pursuing something else, even if they're as far along as their P2/P3 year (just my opinion)

Actually I was debating walking in my 2nd year but the nation was gripped in recessionary times. 9 % unemployment.
I made the great decision to stay in. I took and keep a positive outlook though.
Not certain this will same in your case.

Sigh, I know we've been round and round and round about this. But I can't resist saying it again, NO, it does not make sense to consider pursing something else when 1) you've already failed out of a professional school 2) you already have too much debt and 3) you have no career aspirations other than making a lot of easy money.

Honestly pharmacists should probably get ready to go back to school in the near future for other careers if they want to stay employed. Maybe engineering or finance or something. Anything but pharmacy.

Do you think chains like Publix and Bi-Lo (both in the southeast) will close their pharmacies? I've heard rumors locally that both chains eventually will

No, I don't believe grocers will remove pharmacies from their stores. A more likely scenario is that they sell or rent the space to someone like CVS/Wags, similar to the way CVS purchased the Target pharmacies.

Honestly pharmacists should probably get ready to go back to school in the near future for other careers if they want to stay employed. Maybe engineering or finance or something. Anything but pharmacy.

From what I've been hearing, PA is the way to go. Tons of jobs everywhere and they supposedly make as much as doctors. And only 2 years! Given how great this is, I don't understand why everybody isn't already a PA!

Reactions: 5 users
From what I've been hearing, PA is the way to go. Tons of jobs everywhere and they supposedly make as much as doctors. And only 2 years! Given how great this is, I don't understand why everybody isn't already a PA!
LMAO! You are too much!

I know an independent pharmacy owner who does talk doom-and-gloom, but he also says it can be a good profession to go into if someone enjoys it. One of the Publix pharmacy managers I know also says they enjoy it, although they said that even "the good chains" like Publix have changed over the years. It's hard to explain, but for decades, the high income earners in medium-sized southeast towns have pursued careers from among a very narrow selection: successful business owner (especially franchise owners -- e.g., McDonald's, BK), physician, pharmacist, a few financial professionals (a few well-known accountants). My family has known many pharmacists for years. Several of them live on my street (including a DOP). I went to preschool with the independent pharmacy owner's kid, who my parents have been customers of for years. The Publix pharmacy manager's kid takes music lessons from the music teacher I used to take lessons from. He put me in touch with the DM for my region. I went to college with a girl I've known since middle school who ended up going to pharmacy school after 2 years of taking pre-pharmacy classes. I met the other pharmacists I know through the ones I've known for a long time.

Keep in mind that during the 1980s and 1990s, pharmacy and medicine were basically the two primary healthcare career options for people who weren't interested in pursuing nursing (dentistry wasn't "hot" yet). For many years, an established career path for people from the southeast to follow was to go to Auburn, Mercer, or UGA and become a pharmacist. It was just one of those default career choices. Now, the majority of people who would've been shoe-in candidates for pharmacy school during the 1980s/1990s/2000s are instead pursuing DO, PA, or nursing school with the goal of becoming an NP/CRNA.

Edited to add: basically, the point is, if you are acquainted with at least a handful of successful people in any medium-sized GA or AL city, at least several of them will be pharmacists. That is the overall point

[Sound of something loudly flying over someone's head]

Are you sure owlegrad was being sarcastic in his post?

In recent years, whenever I've purchased something at Sears (or Kmart, before they all closed in my area), they have practically asked me for my right arm and first-born child (I am G0P0) before closing out my purchase, even if I was paying cash. And they wonder why people don't want to shop there.

I wonder if he's taking a jab at my posts about engineering, finance, and computer science.

I wonder if he's taking a jab at my posts about engineering, finance, and computer science.

I guess the fact that it is hard to discern whether he was being serious vs. sarcastic is an indication of just how bleak the outlook really is...

In recent years, whenever I've purchased something at Sears (or Kmart, before they all closed in my area), they have practically asked me for my right arm and first-born child (I am G0P0) before closing out my purchase, even if I was paying cash. And they wonder why people don't want to shop there.

Sounds like CVS.

I assumed Owlegrad was being serious, so I was serious in my reply back to him. Did you think he was being sarcastic?

I assumed Owlegrad was being serious, so I was serious in my reply back to him. Did you think he was being sarcastic?

No, but your response about PA school was obviously sarcastic, so I figured you thought owlegrad was also joking around