8/2015 MCAT Too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

battlesankey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT on 8/21/2015. So far this cycle I have only made it to the waitlist of 2 MD schools. I believe that the reason I have only been waitlisted is more related to GPA / Experiences than my MCAT score. As a result, I would prefer to not have to take the MCAT again. I know the rule is that the MCAT can only be 3 years old for most schools (2 for some others). However, is this 3 year period referring to the time you begin classes or when you begin applications? I am concerned that if I am not accepted to medical school this year then part of the process of reapplying will include retaking the MCAT, even for schools with the 3 year rule. Any feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have MSAR access? I'd look at most schools' current oldest MCAT accepted.

I believe August 2015 will be fine for almost anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I took sept 2015 and am applying this cycle. That MCAT is still valid at all schools (except maybe the few 2 year one) and you can confirm that on MSAR. Additionally, this MCAT is valid at at least 15 or so schools next cycle also as they take MCAT from 3 years prior to application not matriculation how most schools do it. These include BU, Tufts, UMass, UConn, Einstein, Hofstra, Emory, Wake Forest, Oakland, St. Louis, Jefferson, Brown, Yale, etc.

Use MSAR to confirm but that MCAT is valid nearly everywhere if you were apply again this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are both correct, MSAR does show both earliest and latest MCAT accepted. It looks like I should be ok. Thank you for bringing it to my attention that MSAR had this information already.

Reactions: 1 users
Schools have already published the oldest MCAT they will accept for this cycle in the MSAR.

I took the test May 2015 and I have only had to take one school off my list (damn you UCLA). You'll be just fine. Most schools I've looked into are still taking tests prior to Apr 2015 (only 7 out of 39 have cutoffs of Apr 2015 or later).