7 year BS/DO at Nova Southeastern or UF????

RP131998

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just recently accepted into Nova Southeastern's 7 year BS/ DO program and I was also accepted into the University of Florida. I'm having a tough time making a decision on what I should do. The 7 year program at NSU is not binding and I am able to apply to other medical schools if I wish. I'm not sure what to do, please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: do what you want, but in my opinion SNU is a great option

Last edited:
NSU might be a lower ranked undergrad with unranked medschool, but idk if UF being ranked 50 will be a big advantage.

A 7yr program that lets you apply out is pretty great, you have a safety net of an MD school acceptance and get to save a year of undergrad even if you don't get in anywhere else. What are the requirements like to stay in the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its is 3.3 GPA with a 502 on the MCAT but I'm not sure if I did the 7 year program I would be able to switch out even if they say I can. Because their program lets me enter medical school with only 90 undergrad credits. So I doubt other med school would allow me to apply to their schools because I would technically not have my undergraduate degree yet.

How much is NSU going to cost you?
Why do you want to do medicine?
What have you done so far in your life that convinces you that medicine as opposed to another career or major is what you want?
How interested are you in becoming a DO? What are your experiences with Osteopathic Medicine?

Applying to medical school during/after doing undergrad is such a big headache in my opinion. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. So being accepted to the BS/DO program seems awesome to me. I also think it not being binding is a good thing. Some people change their mind about medicine.

Applying to medical school during/after doing undergrad is such a big headache in my opinion. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. So being accepted to the BS/DO program seems awesome to me. I also think it not being binding is a good thing. Some people change their mind about medicine.

I personally applied twice and it was an experience that I think I would never want to do over again. That being said the opportunity to take my time and explore multiple fields, do some work between medical school and undergrad, and grow up was invaluable to my development and performance in medical school.

The reason I've always considered these dual programs bad ideas is that people need to be very sure that they want to be doctors and sure of what they want out of life. Someone who is finishing high school doesn't know that and in many cases is doing it mainly because they feel that their parents want them to do it or that being a doctor is just an important career.

Life is generally long enough for people to be able to give what they're going to do for the rest of their life some thought. And more importantly it is long enough for people to grow and explore who they are and develop interests of their own. And in the end one of the most important indicators of medical school success is being sure of what you want.

Reactions: 1 user
I would take the BS/DO acceptance. See if they will allow you to defer enrollment in the DO program for year so you can complete a 4th year of UG and get your degree. During that 4th year you can explore other options if you still want to switch out.

I have a buddy who is currently a student at NSU DO, and I have worked with tons of docs who graduated from NSU DO - I haven't heard anything but positive things.
A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

Some DOs or DO students will take offense to this, but hear me out: I would strongly recommend against committing to DO at 17/18 years old. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the DO degree, but you could probably count on your fingers and toes the number of college freshman pre-meds in a given year who are set on becoming a DO instead of an MD (and I would tell them the same thing I'm typing to you). I'm sure that the vast, vast, vast majority of DO students wanted to go to an MD school but either didn't get in or decided not to apply once their collegiate record was established.

There's no reason to shut yourself out of the MD path before you even get to college! Either MD or DO you will be a doctor, but it's no secret that you would have many more options open to you specialty- and career-wise as an MD. If you go to UF, with hard work you could get into an MD school. And if not (or in the same application year), you can go DO at that point.

Reactions: 3 users
OP Stated:
The 7 year program at NSU is not binding and I am able to apply to other medical schools if I wish.

By accepting entrance into the program he isn't shutting himself off to the MD pathway, should he choose to pursue that path later down the line...

In terms of matching for MD vs DO, I would like to argue that by time OP is applying for the match there probably won't be any significant differences in terms of matching most specialities - Consider that we are talking at least 7 years down the line. With all these DOs infiltrating ACGME residencies pre-merger, I am certainly interested to see what happens post-merger. I wouldn't be surprised if DOs overtake MDs in the match by the time 7 years has passed.

We DOs are sneaky :smuggrin:

Last edited:
Some DOs or DO students will take offense to this, but hear me out: I would strongly recommend against committing to DO at 17/18 years old. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the DO degree, but you could probably count on your fingers and toes the number of college freshman pre-meds in a given year who are set on becoming a DO instead of an MD (and I would tell them the same thing I'm typing to you). I'm sure that the vast, vast, vast majority of DO students wanted to go to an MD school but either didn't get in or decided not to apply once their collegiate record was established.

There's no reason to shut yourself out of the MD path before you even get to college! Either MD or DO you will be a doctor, but it's no secret that you would have many more options open to you specialty- and career-wise as an MD. If you go to UF, with hard work you could get into an MD school. And if not (or in the same application year), you can go DO at that point.

I have awesome stats (4.0 GPA, Decent MCAT) but I only applied to DO school because I liked the philosophy better. I also work with DOs in the emergency department and saw a difference. So....I didn't apply to DO school just because I couldn't get into MD school. I also know a lot of students who just wanted to be DOs and had pretty good stats for MD school.

Also, when you said "if you go to UF, with hard work, you could get into MD school." Let me clarify that it takes extremely hard work to get into BOTH DO and MD school. Getting into any medical school is not a walk in the park. I am sure it is easier for some than others but getting into a BS/DO program in high school is quite an accomplishment. I wouldn't give up that based on the DO/MD debate. With the merger, I believe there are just as many opportunities available to DOs as MDs. The hospital that I work at readily hires both. Some people still have their feelings about DOs... but it is silly. Both are doctors, both can do all the same specialties, etc.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify some things. This is no intention to start any kind of debate here, just a clarification about DOs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OP Stated:
The 7 year program at NSU is not binding and I am able to apply to other medical schools if I wish.

By accepting entrance into the program he isn't shutting himself off to the MD pathway, should he choose to pursue that path later down the line...

In terms of matching for MD vs DO, I would like to argue that by time OP is applying for the match there probably won't be any significant differences in terms of matching most specialities - Consider that we are talking at least 7 years down the line. With all these DOs infiltrating ACGME residencies pre-merger, I am certainly interested to see what happens post-merger. I wouldn't be surprised if DOs overtake MDs in the match by the time 7 years has passed.

This is what I was referring to:

Its is 3.3 GPA with a 502 on the MCAT but I'm not sure if I did the 7 year program I would be able to switch out even if they say I can. Because their program lets me enter medical school with only 90 undergrad credits. So I doubt other med school would allow me to apply to their schools because I would technically not have my undergraduate degree yet.

I'm simply saying this is a bigger hedge than I would make if I were in your shoes (acknowledging that I don't know else anything about you). And I really doubt DOs will be "out-matching" MDs any time soon.

Refer to my advice where I discussed the possibility of deferring enrollment..
I would take the BS/DO acceptance. See if they will allow you to defer enrollment in the DO program for year so you can complete a 4th year of UG and get your degree. During that 4th year you can explore other options if you still want to switch out.

I have a buddy who is currently a student at NSU DO, and I have worked with tons of docs who graduated from NSU DO - I haven't heard anything but positive things.
A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

It would be a PRETTY SWEET DEAL to know you can defer enrollment.. apply out.. and if you get rejected you can stick with the program - it's called having a safety net.
Once again, 1 in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

In terms of this whole out-matching debacle, your speculation is as good as mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, but you posited that possibility as if it were a sure thing and not an ideal solution you just came up with. Would be great if it works out, but who knows?

I maintain it would be a big mistake, OP, to go to an undergrad that withholds your BS degree until you start at their med school (or finish the first year). These programs exist to nab top achievers in HS who will go on to be high achievers in college and might not be attracted to these schools when they apply in a few years. For this reason I also maintain that this one in the hand is not worth the two or more in the bush that you could reasonably expect to catch in 4 years.

Right, but you posited that possibility as if it were a sure thing and not an ideal solution you just came up with. Would be great if it works out, but who knows?

Yes, you are right - it is just a possibility. But it's worth exploring that option, isn't it? I am simply suggesting that he check with the school to see if this is a viable option, and make a decision based on this information.

I maintain it would be a big mistake, OP, to go to an undergrad that withholds your BS degree until you start at their med school (or finish the first year). These programs exist to nab top achievers in HS who will go on to be high achievers in college and might not be attracted to these schools when they apply in a few years. For this reason I also maintain that this one in the hand is not worth the two or more in the bush that you could reasonably expect to catch in 4 years.

No where is it mentioned that the institution "withholds" your degree.

If he went to NSU undergrad vs UoFlorida undergrad and got a 4.0 with a decent MCAT, his competitiveness in applying to any medical school in the country would not be significantly different. If he does well academically, I don't think where you did your undergrad is going to be a huge limiting factor.

Last edited:
"The seven-year program is a combined program; students will follow a three-year prescribed course of study in any undergraduate major. Students will be awarded a bachelor's degree upon successful completion of the first year of medical education at the College of Osteopathic Medicine."

OP, sorry, I had no intention to get into a back-and-forth with someone else on your thread, but I think this is important to consider!

Once again: if you defer enrollment.. as in if that is a valid possibility... you can finish your degree.. then start school. Ergo.. you can apply out because you would have a degree.

Check with the office of admissions, see if this is an option, make an informed decision.

Simple.

I'm a little terrified about the amount of times I have had to repeat myself in order for this kid above me to get the ticket, and he probably still won't get it.

Last edited:
OP Stated:

I think you're oddly avoiding my point. The OP is slotted into a biology degree without significant option to explore other interests other than biological science or medicine. Whether the op would be happier having been an artist, physics researcher, or a psychologist will be significantly more difficult to figure out as such.

College is not a launching board to graduate or professional education. College is a period of your life when you should figure out who you are and what you like.

If OP after 4 years wants to be a doctor then they'll still go for it. If they find themselves wanting to do other things then they'll go for it. And if the OP cannot get accepted to medical school after undergraduate then that's for the best because they wouldn't likely have graduated either.

The seven-year program is a combined program; students will follow a three-year prescribed course of study in any undergraduate major. Students will be awarded a bachelor's degree upon successful completion of the first year of medical education at the College of Osteopathic Medicine. /Taken from Nova's website.

Oh yea.. this tidbit was also quoted earlier in the thread...

"The seven-year program is a combined program; students will follow a three-year prescribed course of study in any undergraduate major. Students will be awarded a bachelor's degree upon successful completion of the first year of medical education at the College of Osteopathic Medicine."

OP, sorry, I had no intention to get into a back-and-forth with someone else on your thread, but I think this is important to consider!

They are not "slotted" into a bio degree.
Go look at their list of undergraduate degrees... they have a multitude of options to choose from.

Once again: if you defer enrollment.. as in if that is a valid possibility... you can finish your degree.. then start school. Ergo.. you can apply out because you would have a degree.

Check with the office of admissions, see if this is an option, make an informed decision.

Simple.

I'm a little terrified about the amount of times I have had to repeat myself in order for this kid above me to get the ticket, and he probably still won't get it.
Right. It is worth asking before he/she goes. You haven't come up with some amazing solution. You keep repeating the same thing as if you came up with the answer to a test question, like you're right and nobody else can be right.

OP is here for advice, and my advice was not to go to a school that withholds your degree until a year into med school (which the website confirms is the case here). If it turns out he/she can hold out another year for the BS degree, my advice is the same.

If the OP goes to UF already having gotten into a BS/DO program, he/she will probably not have a problem getting into med school in the future. Take your 4 year degree with all the fun that goes along with it, work hard, and keep your options open. If this were apples to apples, most people would choose UF over NSU undergrad. I argue that it is pretty close to apples to apples for OP despite the BS/DO track.

To your last morsel: No need to put on a show trying to patronize me. I'm older, more experienced in college counseling, and farther along in medical training than you are, and I'm just offering my advice. Sounds like you are rather easily "terrified." No one has all the answers.

At the end of the day it was just a suggestion. Take it or leave it OP. At this point I'm growing tired of arguing with someone who seems more concerned with "Being Right" rather than offering honest, unbiased advice.
All that matters is what you want. I don't think you could go wrong with either decision.

Both good schools. Both offer an opportunity for a great future. Goodluck.

Last edited:
NSU is also opening doors to an MD school (making them one of the only medical schools in the nation to have both an MD and DO school). If you go to NSU instead of UF, you may also have the opportunity to switch into their MD program as well. This gives you 1 almost guaranteed acceptance to medical school as well as a possibility of an MD if you are opposed to the DO philosophy at the end of 3 years.

At the end of the day it was just a suggestion. Take it or leave it OP. At this point I'm growing tired of arguing with someone who seems more concerned with "Being Right" rather than offering honest, unbiased advice.
All that matters is what you want. I don't think you could go wrong with either decision.

Both good schools. Both offer an opportunity for a great future. Goodluck.
I don't know what came over me. I never argue on the internet. I see what you mean in my last post about being right, which is the total opposite of what I wanted to communicate to OP this whole time - no one is right since this is not a right/wrong issue. Anyway, at least OP has a lot of posts to look at.

Good luck with your decision OP, and good luck in med school @SunnyDO

Thank you guys for the help! I still am weighing my options and will let you guys know when I decide!

Hey guys, sorry for taking a while to get back to you but I ended up going with Nova's dual admission program and it was probably one of the best decisions! Thank you all for the help!